Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MindSet posted:

Man I guess I'd only ever seen the final cut, had no idea.

shameful

Is the theatrical cut narration that bad? I hear some people relally hate it but once you know it exists you really notice the scenes where it was clearly involved. like at the beginning when deckard and gaff are riding to the police station. it's all been cut into visuals but you can tell there was once a voiceover there

i actually don't have a serious problem with the narration in principle, it's cyberpunk noir, of course the private detective's going to have an internal monologue going

also

eldon tyrell was a replicant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
man I should really watch Dangerous Days

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

istr ds9 and tng bluray releases are expensive at least in part because all the editing was done on high-end video. shoot on film, then convert to video and do editing there with 1980s best nle gear

they have film raws in the can but making episodes out of it requires them to scan and re-edit everything shot by shot

tos did not have this problem except for special effects scenes

DS9 (and Voyager) will be more expensive though because not only do they have to do all the re-editing and recompositing, but they will also need to completely remake big special effects sequences in the later years because DS9 transitioned from motion control photography to CGI

contrast with TNG which was almost entirely motion-control and animation

one is basically just putting mostly-extant things together again, the other is the actual (re-)creation of new artwork/content.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

How does Clarke's 2001 novel compare to the undoubtedly excellent pacific rim novelization, crasscrab?

hahahahahaha

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
hey whats up into darkness still owns bye

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the original series was shot on the world's worst loving bargain basement 1960s film stock. they shot everything on a trial and error basis

reminder: the "gold" tunics are actually green

they wanted them to be gold from the beginning, but the combination of awkward lighting and second-rate film stock led to this fabric choice

compare the left side (obviously lime green) to the right (gold-ish) -- the right side is much brightly lit like a film set

the first time they tried to do a scene with that saucy green alien chick in TOS they could not for the life of them get her to show up as green on the film. they tried dozens of different kinds of body paints and lighting setups but she always ended up looking very much not-green.

turns out they forgot to tell the dudes in charge of post-production or w/e that she was supposed to be green. they'd been making all kinds of adjustments to the camera and film to make the actress non-green and were extremely confused as to why she inevitably ended up green again in the next take.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raruler posted:

atleast we've learned for modern television and this won't be a problem for 4k remakes of things

there won't be any 4k remakes. nothing is shot on film anymore

you shoot at 1080 or 2k and that is as good as it will ever be

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thats good 4k is fuckin stupid anyway

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the future is 8k anyway

and 3d, but like some sort of holographic 3d, not stereoscopic

maybe tomographic 3d XD

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

sometimes you just wanna see the actor's liver, you know

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

sometimes you just wanna see the actor's liver, you know

that reminds me, paul pope's "100%" is a loving amazing comic and it's technically sf so go find it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i want the new TV show to be a reboot of TNG but set it in the new-trek timeline

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
but they should reapproach all the cahracters to make their problems more contemporary like data wants to be a cartoon character, or instead of being handicapped by being blind geordi is the future equivalent of being gay, like reverse hypersexual or w/e

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kirk posted:

but they should reapproach all the cahracters to make their problems more contemporary like data wants to be a cartoon character, or instead of being handicapped by being blind geordi is the future equivalent of being gay, like reverse hypersexual or w/e
tumblr trek??

you just might have something there!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
worf has to deal with being too competent and respected

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
"captain despite my hypersexuality being reversed my visor allows me to see things that you cannot. for example over there i can see misogyny, and down there a woman not checking her privilege"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

they could visit a planet of men's rights activists, where the men control everything but whine about misandry all the time

the twist is that the planet is actually earth

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
*thwack* aghh help me data... with...without my visor im blind to the fact that gender is a social construct!!!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

all the LCARS panels on the ship would just be the tumblr post interface

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kirk posted:

data wants to be a cartoon character
            /

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
riker has his role reversed in order to keep him fresh - he's constantly getting raped by women or getting lured into marriages so the women can leech off him for his money

"ugghh if only... men... had rights..." as his son is taken away by the courts to be raised by a female tar monster

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
picard is played kate mulgrew

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

the ship's computer has multiple headmates, one of whom is in love with barclay

the computer gets offended when a crew member refers to it as a singular entity and just sulks about it, which is manifested as an emo kid sitting in the corner of the holodeck

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
stardate 51335.4, the enter-or-hisprise is en route to pick up colonists from the highly advanced planet of Kinsey-8 where the gradient of gender has taken on an interesting new... dimension?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they're pronouns, jim, but not as we know them

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
damnit jim im a hugbox admin not a doctor

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
dune question. is salusa secundus actually earth?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

they could visit a planet of men's rights activists, where the men control everything but whine about misandry all the time

the twist is that the planet is actually earth

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

dune question. is salusa secundus actually earth?

no it was a penal colony

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
yeah, but a bombed out third planet from the sun that was the seat of imperial power?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

yeah, but a bombed out third planet from the sun that was the seat of imperial power?

then it would have been stercore tertius

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wont be happy until i can zoom-enhance-zoom-enhance until i see the blackheads on actresses noses thru their makeup...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

earth itself is mentioned in one of the later books

secundus is just similar to earth, ie poo poo

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS
europa report was pretty cool, defs better than elysium. sharto copley is in it too and its fun to see him try to do a regular english accent

the amount of unused space inside their ship was shameful though

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

that was probably the original intention but later on it turned out that earth was home to the bad robots so they blew it up with big bombs so it would be uninhabitable for a zillion years but a couple thousand years later it got turned into an imperial park and then they wrote the oc bible on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

angry_keebler posted:

that was probably the original intention but later on it turned out that earth was home to the bad robots so they blew it up with big bombs so it would be uninhabitable for a zillion years but a couple thousand years later it got turned into an imperial park and then they wrote the oc bible on it

and this is why you stop reading the dune books after frank herbert stops writing them

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if ur doing vast galactic sci fi where there's an inumerable amount of colonized planets dont ever loving use earth

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

especially not when it's eleven loving thousand years in the future

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

bazingo

• Locked thread