Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Laranzu posted:

Uhh. CTT requires a TS clearance, so you should qualify for whatever YN slot exists.

I'm an active duty CTT. You'll go to A School in Pensacola, FL then possibly a C school. I shipped out without a C school, but some people wind up on hold and go to a C school right after A school.

For all the CT ratings, CTT is the least sperglord filled. I've also never seen a reserve CTT deployed on a ship I've been on. They do get some pretty sweet shore side "deployments" though.

Ive seen this guys pic dont do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigred26
Aug 16, 2013

Christoff posted:

...wouldn't you want CTT over YN?

I think I speak for most people and say yes.

Haven't work with or for either, but I would say CTT just for better paying jobs on the outside.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013

bigred26 posted:

You should be able to do navy reserves, with same rank. If i might ask why navy?

I am a current (FMF) HM3, working as a DT right now. I'm planning on switching to CTN, since that seems more up my alley

Also, any of those looking to be a Corpsman, be aware E-6 can be difficult to pick up. E-4 and E-5 can also be more difficult to pick up than other rates. On the upside, you can be stationed with marines in a few different capacities (div,wing,mlg) and if you don't want that route, there are all the bases of course and ships, and there are some other "short" duty stations i just found out about that are not listed. These are not classified I believe, just short notice or temporary assignments that may pop up from time to time.

Well currently my MOS is 11B(infantryman). And I've really gotten interested in computer science and I've been learning how to program. I've always attributed the Navy with having the most technological advanced equipment and would love to learn about them. I've just always thought the Navy would be a very interesting branch to be in. I'm also not very sure how much civilian jobs care if I was an infantryman. I might could learn job skills in the Navy that I might could use on the other side. Just wasn't sure if it was possible to switch over.

bigred26
Aug 16, 2013

digitalcamo posted:

Well currently my MOS is 11B(infantryman). And I've really gotten interested in computer science and I've been learning how to program. I've always attributed the Navy with having the most technological advanced equipment and would love to learn about them. I've just always thought the Navy would be a very interesting branch to be in. I'm also not very sure how much civilian jobs care if I was an infantryman. I might could learn job skills in the Navy that I might could use on the other side. Just wasn't sure if it was possible to switch over.

I'm pretty sure you can. Call the navy reserves around you. I think IT or CTN is up your alley.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I also didn't know if I might be wasting my time and the recruiters time as I have 2 DUIs. Correct me if I'm wrong but would that not keep me from switching to the Naval Reserve? Or any branch for that matter.

bigred26
Aug 16, 2013

digitalcamo posted:

I also didn't know if I might be wasting my time and the recruiters time as I have 2 DUIs. Correct me if I'm wrong but would that not keep me from switching to the Naval Reserve? Or any branch for that matter.

I do not know anything about that. Maybe someone here can clarify. I know someone recent got booted for having three if that helps.

Derpolator
Nov 30, 2012
Is anyone here an active duty recruiter ATM? I've been asking around about switching to active duty from the ARNG and all the recruiters say that I'd have to put in a 18x packet if I want to go active duty. Is this true or do they just get something from sending people to SF?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was meeting with my recruiter today and a guy came in to ask about doing just that and he was told the same thing: 18X is the only way he could go active duty Army.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In an age where the Army is going to be cutting tens of thousands of people over the next couple of years, it kind of makes sense.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I wonder what the future recruitment tool will be when we need to massively add to the military again. Post 9/11 is hard to top.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

I wonder what the future recruitment tool will be when we need to massively add to the military again. Post 9/11 is hard to top.

That won't ever stop being a good deal. Well if the current retirement plan is cut or done away with in lieu of a 401K-type thing, that could hurt long-term retention.

For guys like many of us here on GiP, we don't give a poo poo about what 20 years would've gotten us. I figure that the Post-9/11 keeps you in for an enlistment and the retirement is there for long haul guys, but there's nothing in between as an incentive other than poo poo that isn't bankable like switching jobs, enlistment bonuses, etc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep gloop posted:

College is going to be even more important than it already has become. They don't need to offer anything new, they just need to bust out the propaganda ala MGIB in the early 2000s and they'll have people lining up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

That won't ever stop being a good deal. Well if the current retirement plan is cut or done away with in lieu of a 401K-type thing, that could hurt long-term retention.

Nah...I don't think they'll touch retirement for folks already in, even if they've talked about it in the past. But when they make that switch for new folks, I still don't think they're going to see any significant flak.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

For guys like many of us here on GiP, we don't give a poo poo about what 20 years would've gotten us. I figure that the Post-9/11 keeps you in for an enlistment and the retirement is there for long haul guys, but there's nothing in between as an incentive other than poo poo that isn't bankable like switching jobs, enlistment bonuses, etc.

Yeah I guess if the Army needs to swell it'll just be bonuses coming back. I saw some incredibly good reenlistment bonuses when I was in. Hell I almost went 35L for $40k.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep gloop posted:

Yeah I guess if the Army needs to swell it'll just be bonuses coming back. I saw some incredibly good reenlistment bonuses when I was in. Hell I almost went 35L for $40k.

90k for 6 years as a 12B2O that I missed out on because it wasn't in my window.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

90k for 6 years as a 12B2O that I missed out on because it wasn't in my window.

On the one hand I'd like to say I could make up the extra $15k a year as a civilian, on the other if I was an engineer I'm probably not thinking that far ahead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Nah...I don't think they'll touch retirement for folks already in, even if they've talked about it in the past. But when they make that switch for new folks, I still don't think they're going to see any significant flak.

That would be a massive shitstorm if there wasn't any grandfathering in for current members. Hell, the DoD got a small taste of it when that powerpoint leaked detailing proposed retirement changes.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

That would be a massive shitstorm if there wasn't any grandfathering in for current members. Hell, the DoD got a small taste of it when that powerpoint leaked detailing proposed retirement changes.

Except Joe McCitizen doesn't care about troops anymore and what are mil people going to do?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

Except Joe McCitizen doesn't care about troops anymore and what are mil people going to do?

The smart ones won't stay in.

I can't connect the dots why the public would have much, or any, sway in the matter. They're not serving so why does the DoD care if they're not appeased? Tax dollars or whatever, it's a retention matter. Someone nixes any idea of grandfathering and say good bye a nice chunk of your force. Retention is a simple matter of placating the force to stay in. It isn't about giving us what we deserve or how people are our best asset. That's all bullshit. It's shoving free poo poo or incentives in our faces long enough that we say, "eh, this isn't so bad."

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I spoke to both the local Army and Navy medical recruiting office. Good news is, they are actively looking for nurses and were enthusiastic when I told them I have all the qualifications, no criminal history, can pass the physical fitness test. Bad news is I have a mild case of ulcerative colitis that's been in remission for >3 years and searching online leads me to believe that I don't think I can waiver for it. They both said they'd check, but it didn't sound good.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
My MEPS date is set up for the 22nd of this month. Blood pressure was a bit high at first and was potentially a deal breaker but I've been running 3 miles every other day to level it out. I've been getting readings pretty frequently at the grocery store's blood pressure monitor stations and it seems to fluctuate between around 120/70 to 140/80, with my pulse between 60-80. From what I gather 120 is fine but 140 might be a deal breaker when I get tested at MEPs. Does anyone have an idea of how strict they are regarding that? Any tips to keep it in the lower range? Plan on doing a run right before they take me to the station thursday morning but I'm worried that might not be enough.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ask them to take it twice. If you're anything like me, I cannot have my blood pressure taken without it being higher than what mil doctors would like to see. The second time, I'm fine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Try to spend a few minutes sitting down in the chair before they take your BP. Walking can cause a few minute minor spike in some people. Just one of those body chemistry things and that is typically the exact first thing they do. If you've practiced relaxation techniques or meditation exercises those can mellow you out and a relaxed state will lower it more.

one1two2three3
Mar 22, 2013

Antignition posted:

My MEPS date is set up for the 22nd of this month. Blood pressure was a bit high at first and was potentially a deal breaker but I've been running 3 miles every other day to level it out. I've been getting readings pretty frequently at the grocery store's blood pressure monitor stations and it seems to fluctuate between around 120/70 to 140/80, with my pulse between 60-80. From what I gather 120 is fine but 140 might be a deal breaker when I get tested at MEPs. Does anyone have an idea of how strict they are regarding that? Any tips to keep it in the lower range? Plan on doing a run right before they take me to the station thursday morning but I'm worried that might not be enough.

Grocery store blood pressure monitors are usually not accurate. Don't drink any caffeine, don't smoke/dip any tobacco, take a deep breath and stop stressing about it. 140/80 with a 60-80 pulse on an otherwise healthy person would make a medical provider think you were nervous (which everyone in there is), nothing more. They are looking for that guy with 200/110 all the time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Avoid overly salty food if you can help it too, because that'll raise it as well. I had to jump through a couple of hoops because of blood pressure.

Mine was a little over the limit at MEPS, so I had to get a waiver. That consisted of me going to my family doctor for 5 days in a row and having blood pressure checked. I tweaked my diet and got all that done, and was able to receive that waiver. Now this was 2009 so I have no idea how strict they would be today, but as long as it's not terrible it's not a dealbreaker.

In fact I remember sitting in one of the rooms waiting to be re-checked my first visit. My BP was high, so the MEPS person let me sit quietly for a few minutes with the lights out, so I could compose myself and get my BP down.

In walks in a different MEPS employee, who proceeds to flick the lights on and goes "AAAH!", like trying to startle me, and it worked. The fucker said he was just joking around, and then procees right away to take my 2nd BP reading. It was higher than the first.

I still got in, and I hope that asswipe got hit by a bus.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Ask them to take it twice. If you're anything like me, I cannot have my blood pressure taken without it being higher than what mil doctors would like to see. The second time, I'm fine.

I was the exact same way. It just got to the point where I'd tell them the first try will be slightly high, but if you wait a few minutes and try again, it'll be fine. My breakfast before my MEPS physical consisted of a 5 hour energy and nothing else, so they were a little concerned at first, but it wasn't a big deal.

I have heard though that eating mustard beforehand can help with that. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard it from multiple people who were scheduled for flight physicals, so YMMV \/:)\/

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
I've got a cousin in the Army Reserves and he mentioned a referral bonus to me once. Well, I recently talked to a recruiter and have begun the process, and I'm at the point where I take my ASVAB in a couple of days. Although I did mention the bonus to the recruiter he didn't clarify that he wasn't going to be able to do it on his end.

Did a bit of research and apparently before I even went to a recruiter on my own I was supposed to let my cousin know so he could have people on his end (whoever that consists of) start the referral process for me. It's probably too late to get his referral bonus isn't it? I done hosed it all up.

After considering it the recruiter probably didn't stop me and tell me that if I wanted to make sure my cousin got his bonus that I needed to stop there and come back in a bit because why would he? To his mind, if I'm out the door he may lose a potential recruit.

Is there anything I can still do to help my cousin get the bonus?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

pkells posted:

I have heard though that eating 20mg of lisinopril beforehand can help with that. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard it from multiple people who were scheduled for flight physicals, so YMMV \/:)\/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Battle Rockers posted:

I've got a cousin in the Army Reserves and he mentioned a referral bonus to me once. Well, I recently talked to a recruiter and have begun the process, and I'm at the point where I take my ASVAB in a couple of days. Although I did mention the bonus to the recruiter he didn't clarify that he wasn't going to be able to do it on his end.

Did a bit of research and apparently before I even went to a recruiter on my own I was supposed to let my cousin know so he could have people on his end (whoever that consists of) start the referral process for me. It's probably too late to get his referral bonus isn't it? I done hosed it all up.

After considering it the recruiter probably didn't stop me and tell me that if I wanted to make sure my cousin got his bonus that I needed to stop there and come back in a bit because why would he? To his mind, if I'm out the door he may lose a potential recruit.

Contact him? You haven't shipped to basic, so effectively you've done nothing committal.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I have a question about the tattoo policy for the Air Force. I understand while in uniform if more than 25% of an exposed area is tattooed it is not allowed. What I don't understand is what uniform technically is. Do PT shorts count as uniform? If not, are there other Air Force attire that have short pants that I don't know of? I have a tattoo on my calf and on my knee cap that cover what I assume to be 35-40% of my leg. I have been trying to meet with a recruiter to discuss it but its been difficult to schedule a meeting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did you leave the guy a voicemail or e-mail stating what you wanna discuss? If so, he doesn't want you. This is him not wasting time on you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grody posted:

I have a question about the tattoo policy for the Air Force. I understand while in uniform if more than 25% of an exposed area is tattooed it is not allowed. What I don't understand is what uniform technically is. Do PT shorts count as uniform? If not, are there other Air Force attire that have short pants that I don't know of? I have a tattoo on my calf and on my knee cap that cover what I assume to be 35-40% of my leg. I have been trying to meet with a recruiter to discuss it but its been difficult to schedule a meeting.

AF PTs count as a uniform sometimes...and the rules change pretty much annually. Maybe a knee brace or a pair of running tights?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Did you leave the guy a voicemail or e-mail stating what you wanna discuss? If so, he doesn't want you. This is him not wasting time on you.

So far I haven't had time to meet with him because of work, and every time I call he's been in the middle of talking to people. I haven't really spoken to him for much more than a minute or so at a time because of that so I haven't really gotten beyond introductions unfortunately. I guess that next best thing would be to email but I figured it would be better to discuss person.

Godholio posted:

AF PTs count as a uniform sometimes...and the rules change pretty much annually. Maybe a knee brace or a pair of running tights?

I'm a little confused how would that help me get around the policy?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Battle Rockers posted:

They don't give you cash anymore so who cares. All you get is a stupid loving coin and certificate.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/support/smart.htm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grody posted:

I'm a little confused how would that help me get around the policy?

They're permitted, optional items with the PT uniform and would cover your tats.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Godholio posted:

They're permitted, optional items with the PT uniform and would cover your tats.

They would allow this at basic training? Not doubting you but it just seems like it would be something that couldn't be worked around.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Let's not forget that the tattoo might need to be waived. That is not happening these days.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Let's not forget that the tattoo might need to be waived. That is not happening these days.

Eh I have one more tattoo than allowed, one is a ship from my wrist to my elbow ditch and the other is a reaper. So now I have to say its "dia de Los muertos" tattoo or it's "death", and the ship because I lucked out with the Navy. So waivers were just waiting for various chiefs to say "yeah okay" and wait for paperwork to come in. One girl at my recruiter had a 9mm on her ribs so they told her put flowers around it and say its for "guns n roses".

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Smoke Crack posted:

They don't give you cash anymore so who cares. All you get is a stupid loving coin and certificate.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/support/smart.htm

That's for ARS-SMART recruiting. Would AR-RAP still give out a monetary bonus?

http://www.usarec.army.mil/support/referral_programs.htm

AR-RAP - Army Reserve Recruiting Assistance Program
https://www.ar-rap.com/
The Army Reserve Recruiting Assistance Program (AR-RAP) is a referral program run by a contract company** to provide referrals to the Army Reserve. The company solicits and trains recruiter assistants in the Army Reserve referral process.

Recruiting Assistants can earn money assisting the Army Reserve by identifying well-qualified men and women for service in the Army Reserve. You can earn $2,000 for each new recruit who reports to Basic Training, or Basic Officer Leadership Course, and for each prior service member who affiliates with a unit for four months and have attended a Battle Assembly in the last 60 days.

Army Reserve recruiting assistants identify individuals within their sphere of influence to develop Potential Soldiers, promote the benefits of service in the Army Reserve, work with recruiters to prepare their referrals for processing and mentor future Soldiers.

I contacted my cousin btw, and he called the USAREC number but had to leave a message. They sure don't make this an easy process it seems, because that ar-rap.com link is broken as well. Also I just checked what the double asterisks were all about and it said Docupak, Inc. is the contractor for that program. All in all, it sounds weird as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Antignition posted:

Trip report: Tests weren't all they were cracked up to be, the big issue was all the loving waiting. Was there for 11 hours total and about 9 1/2 of those hours were spent waiting (2 of which were in my underwear in a 55 degree room). Oh well, could have been worse.

Blood pressure averaged out to 135/85 so to avoid a waiver I have to get my blood pressure read by a local clinic for 3 consecutive days. Eyesight was 20/40 so I have to get a new prescription, go back to MEPS, and take the depth perception test before I can swear in.

----

What concerns me is the discussion I had with my recruiter before taking the shuttle to MEPS. Basically I would like some clarification on the Air Force job selection system.

To make a long story short when I first talked to my recruiter about joining I made it clear that my enlistment was based on 1) knowing what job I will have before I enlist and 2) a 4-year enlistment. He has said throughout the process that that would be fine only to flip on these issues in the last month:

Apparently I cannot necessarily be guaranteed a job because:

1. The recruiter has about 20 guys in DEP right now in his queue
2. If someone is waiting in queue for 6-8 months with no job still the recruiter's CO will force them to go into a general aptitude area (electric, general, or mechanical)
3. Most of the intel/cyber jobs (the jobs I am interested in) are not being given to the recruiter to dish out; most of the jobs he gets are mechanical

He says my best option if I want a guaranteed job is to go with an AFSC that has high academic requirements (I got a 96 percentile on the ASVAB) and additional tests - Linguists (DLAB test) and Computer Programming (EDPT test). I said I would consider the Computer Programming job even though it wasn't my first choice.

Next meeting: After already going through the song and dance twice, he tried to bullshit me again to do 6 years, claiming assigment priority and I don't have to use my college credits to get E-3 (uh...what?). After refusing again he said that the computer programming job I was considering was only available to 6 year applicants. Still turned him down.

Last meeting (right before MEPS): alludes that I should take the EDPT test after finishing up with the MEPS stuff. Why should I take the EDPT test if I can't apply for the one job that requires it because I went with a 4-year enlistment? I almost called him out on this. Does anyone know specifically if that AFSC requires 6 years?

------

I figured out on my own that if I go "Open Electrical aptitude" instead of "Open General aptitude" (he was trying to make me go general) I seem to have a lower chance of landing a terrible job, although I could still be doing missile maintenance or A/C repair or some poo poo (better than security forces at least). But frankly, I don't want to leave something like that up to chance. One of my main reasons for considering enlistment is getting good training in an intel-related field that I can then apply to the private sector.

Rather than doing a lovely job in the military for 4 years that has no utility in the private sector, I'd rather use loans/grants and work part time and finish up my degree over 3 years.

• Locked thread