Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Griz
May 21, 2001

Have the devs said anything about Oculus Rift support? If that thing can make people motionsick with a rollercoaster video, I'd love to see what happens when they get decapitated and their head goes rolling down a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Blimpkin posted:

Does anybody do 360 jumps or 360 jump attacks? I've been practicing these, and they are so loving dumb/cool to land.

360 jump kicks

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Bitter Mushroom posted:

360 jump kicks

Pro post.

e: Sometimes I join an FFA server and regret my Customizations, but then I top the table and place 1st or 2nd, and I remember I look like this.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 18, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, which makes their complaints weirder, since the C point royal family is the one directly underneath their spawn. If you can, kill them first.
Exactly. Pointing this out was of course met with "We need to split their attention across all three :spergin:", and suggesting that anyone upset at Agatha scum dying should join the Agatha was met with "We have the most kills". Because being an adventure time names Shield Knight+Spear Vanguard combo killing enemies by stabbing straight through their teammates constantly made them MVP, you see.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, somewhere, a pubbie complains that you killed the King first.

I would also love to master the mythical 360 spin kick, because that poo poo is always a good time.

Fake Edit: So far I only put the Moving Target emblem on my Archers, because they just deserve it. FFA I've for whatever reason decided on the Bok Bok chicken.

Real Edit: vvv which goes alongside the Vanguards calling archers disonerable for killing them in Melee with a Cudgel. Hell, one guy last FFA I was in was using nothing but punching, which was pissing off a top score vanguard so goddamned much "The problem with this server is that goddamned Hand to Hand guy". We all know that people will say and do stupid poo poo online, but then we see it and we still wonder what the hell at times. For me it's mostly confusion at people who get angry when they are WINNING.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 19, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Set your FOV to 179 if you want to die

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Section Z posted:

Exactly. Pointing this out was of course met with "We need to split their attention across all three :spergin:", and suggesting that anyone upset at Agatha scum dying should join the Agatha was met with "We have the most kills". Because being an adventure time names Shield Knight+Spear Vanguard combo killing enemies by stabbing straight through their teammates constantly made them MVP, you see.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, somewhere, a pubbie complains that you killed the King first.

I've had archers call me dishonorable for killing them in melee. The fact that I was spamming x-x-2 probably had something to do with that, but Chivalry players are a very special breed unto themselves nonetheless.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I know this is a time old whinge, but Archers are really ruining this game for me. I tried the javelin for the first time and I went 24-6. It was far, far too easy to score kills. Thing is, it wasn't even remotely fun. Point and click exactly like a shooter, woohoo. I get way more entertainment value out of the swordplay, it makes me laugh. I don't know why but even when I play as MAA, I feel the archers are just as nimble with daggers and such that it's kind of loving pointless to play anything else. Ranged attacks + Daggers + Speed. Every update seems to have buffed them slightly which is the complete opposite of what I was hoping for (the addition of javelins has just made it even worse), considering I enjoy the melee aspect of this game far more. It's infuriating to see servers loaded to the brim with archers, and more often than not they team up to form little arrow enclaves in a corner of the map. These also tend to be the chucklefucks who TK the most. I was hoping there would be an archer free objective server in Australia, but as far as I know there isn't.

For a game centered around medieval combat, in close quarters proximity, I really wish I could go back in time and tell Torn Banner to just gently caress them right off and add some other historical class instead.

-endrant-

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Diet Crack posted:

I know this is a time old whinge, but Archers are really ruining this game for me. I tried the javelin for the first time and I went 24-6. It was far, far too easy to score kills. Thing is, it wasn't even remotely fun. Point and click exactly like a shooter, woohoo. I get way more entertainment value out of the swordplay, it makes me laugh. I don't know why but even when I play as MAA, I feel the archers are just as nimble with daggers and such that it's kind of loving pointless to play anything else. Ranged attacks + Daggers + Speed. Every update seems to have buffed them slightly which is the complete opposite of what I was hoping for (the addition of javelins has just made it even worse), considering I enjoy the melee aspect of this game far more. It's infuriating to see servers loaded to the brim with archers, and more often than not they team up to form little arrow enclaves in a corner of the map. These also tend to be the chucklefucks who TK the most. I was hoping there would be an archer free objective server in Australia, but as far as I know there isn't.

For a game centered around medieval combat, in close quarters proximity, I really wish I could go back in time and tell Torn Banner to just gently caress them right off and add some other historical class instead.

-endrant-

Javelins are a little broken, but being an archer is not at all easy. Archers are not at all as nimble as MAAs, they have less stamina, and they can reliably get onehit if they slip up. Every class is incredibly frustrating to fight against and overpowered as all hell in certain situations; the archer is no exception, but it's also not really worse than any of the others. In a game where most people have shields that stop all arrows, if you're getting reliably hit, the archer is very good. And if they're reliably beating you in melee, the archer is very good. Everybody finds their own fun in the game, and if you don't enjoy archer don't play it.

Also I just had a very fun series of FFAs with a couple of goonfriends that joined out of the blue! We should make an effort to do group games more often for sure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Right now, my main problem with archers is that having even a tower shield on your back doesn't seem to block ally arrows to your back. Or at the very least I've had enough cases of archers confirming "I thought it hit your shield I'm sorry" that it's probably at the very least buggy as hell.

But that's still no excuse for people getting so mad at archers, that I've seen 64 man Team Objective servers have THREE archer limits.

I will not deny that javelins were the easiest time I had with Archers, and one of the fastest non vanguard weapons for me to fully unlock. But then I prefer to step closer to the fight shooting people in the dick with a crossbow or jumping in with a shortsword to finish people off anyway. Even if I had better aim with Bows, it just wouldn't be as fun to sit back lobbing arrows away from all the carnage.

MAA who know how to dodge properly make dagger flailing archers look sluggish, but that's sideways movement. Usually MAA's dodging forwards just seem to end up getting killed faster.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've only tried to play archer recently and it's not really my cup of tea, partly because I seem to be pretty bad at it and I just prefer the melee combat too much. I think most of my javelin kills are from using it as a stabbing weapon rather than throwing them. I'm an exceptionally poor shot with arrows too, I tried practicing on bots but they're too stupid and easy to hit so it's not much help in live games. I do have a bit of new found respect for dudes who can peg others from really far away now too.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Section Z posted:

MAA who know how to dodge properly make dagger flailing archers look sluggish, but that's sideways movement. Usually MAA's dodging forwards just seem to end up getting killed faster.

I can't think of a time when a forwards dodge would be more effective than just sprinting up to a guy and stabbing him.

To any MAA players, here's one of my go-to combos whenever I play MAA:

1) Approach the enemy
1a) If he has had time to notice you, wait for him to attack. If he's not sprinting up to you, walk backwards to dodge the attack. He is now exposed for an attack.
2) Sprint up to him and perform an alternative overhead.
3) Continue by performing a horizontal attack and moving to the LEFT, which is the RIGHT side of the enemy. Since your first attack was an alternative overhead, your horizontal attack will be an alternative one. This means that the enemy will most likely fail to block your attack as it came from an unusual side.
3) Continue by performing another horizontal attack, this time moving to the right, which is the enemy's left side. Your opponent will still likely be facing right after your first attack and your new attack will land.
4) Continue moving from side to side and attacking until the enemy dies. Mix up with other attacks and feints if needed

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Minorkos posted:

I can't think of a time when a forwards dodge would be more effective than just sprinting up to a guy and stabbing him.

To any MAA players, here's one of my go-to combos whenever I play MAA:

1) Approach the enemy
1a) If he has had time to notice you, wait for him to attack. If he's not sprinting up to you, walk backwards to dodge the attack. He is now exposed for an attack.
2) Sprint up to him and perform an alternative overhead.
3) Continue by performing a horizontal attack and moving to the LEFT, which is the RIGHT side of the enemy. Since your first attack was an alternative overhead, your horizontal attack will be an alternative one. This means that the enemy will most likely fail to block your attack as it came from an unusual side.
3) Continue by performing another horizontal attack, this time moving to the right, which is the enemy's left side. Your opponent will still likely be facing right after your first attack and your new attack will land.
4) Continue moving from side to side and attacking until the enemy dies. Mix up with other attacks and feints if needed

works best with broadsword.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you think looking downward is bad, try this trick for maximum bullshit.

Step 1) Get a Messer.

Step 2) Get high mouse sensitivity.

Step 3) Two-hand the Messer.

Step 4) When someone is about to attack, immediately look down and duck.

This combination makes you basically impervious to the vast majority of attacks because you curl up instantly into a tiny ball. The two-handed ducking-lookdown knight can basically only be reasonably hit by a crouching lookdown overhead... which they can still parry. They can also slash at your legs with impunity because the Messer is somewhat short with some windup, so good luck getting in. It removes the "high risk" part of the "high risk high reward" equation of ducking. Also keep in mind that Knights are weak to Blunt weapons, the longer ones of which tend to not have exceptionally fast overheads.

Part of why lookdown is bullshit is that it doesn't just make overheads more annoying to parry due to a smaller delay between button press -> attack delivery time... your character actually bends his back downward, making him a smaller target. People will literally miss you more if you do it on top of you getting to exploit the problems with the parry system.

---

Another trick is doing the limbo (as in the pole you go under) dance to land an immediate overhead. With the maul. Which can one-shot you from full even if you are a knight. I'm not joking, try it sometime: rear backwards, do a maul overhead while going back forward. Many attacks that should hit you miss because you literally limbo under them (this includes overheads if you're moving, because it takes longer for the weapon to come in contact with your model), and your attack timing is very difficult to see (the maul's head is hidden behind your character's head since you're bending over backwards), so very few people can parry you.

It is a bad idea to take this game seriously with stuff like that in. Don't try to win, just relax.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 19, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is there a way to disable double tap dodge for MAA?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Check Configuration, I think Keybinds. There's a checkbox for single-button dodge.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Tallgeese posted:

Check Configuration, I think Keybinds. There's a checkbox for single-button dodge.

I have it checked, but it doesn't seem to turn off the double tap. I'm asking because I keep unintentionally dodging due to it. Not very frequently, but it's still annoying.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Have you set Double Tap Time to 100 under Input? That makes it only accept the double tap if you manage to execute both taps within 100 milliseconds.

If that's not enough, find UDKInput.ini under Documents->My Games->Chivalry, and set DoubleClickTime to something insane like 0.01.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Tallgeese posted:

Have you set Double Tap Time to 100 under Input? That makes it only accept the double tap if you manage to execute both taps within 100 milliseconds.

If that's not enough, find UDKInput.ini under Documents->My Games->Chivalry, and set DoubleClickTime to something insane like 0.01.

Oh cool, I didn't even think of doing that. Thanks.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
You can actually just set it to 0.0000 and never worry again until the next patch resets all binds.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Section Z posted:

But that's still no excuse for people getting so mad at archers, that I've seen 64 man Team Objective servers have THREE archer limits.

I loving LOVE these servers, they make for the best clusterfucks around. Archers piss me off, but not to a massive extent. What pisses me off is when half your team is made up of archers and suddenly all of the fighting takes place at your spawn. With strict archer limits it forces people to get off their fat arses and get stuck in. And getting stuck in is the only real way to learn how to melee in this game, not sat in spawn plinking away and stabbing the occasional vanguard who manages to get through but is now on little health due to all the arrows he's been shot with.

Also, I saw an awesome moment where I was squared off against a vanguard on Battlegrounds. An archer took a shot at me and hit the vanguard, which must've been the final straw because he turned around and smashed the archer's head in :black101:

Oh, has anyone seen a guy called Ryan UK around? He basically joins a server as a Mason MAA, and just runs around spamming "Help" while occasionally punching people. It's loving hilarious and people keep trying to votekick him :psyduck:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Winning in melee as am archer isn't difficult at all. If anything it's easy as poo poo since you can literally just charge people and spam the overhead and stunlock them, and if they attack you can parry literally everything with ease.

They need to remove parrying the big weapons with dagger, or at least make it so if you try to parry a maul with a dagger you still take some damage and maybe get staggered slightly, because as it stands a dagger usually has the advantage in a 1v1 fight with a slower weapon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Parrying against short weapons is really broken, I seem to only be able to parry against daggers if I crouch and look up.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
It would be great if Archers were stunlocked by larger weapons when parrying. I wouldn't even mind it if I was an archer with a dagger and I went to parry a maul and was frozen for a half second.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, it's a little bit ridiculous that you can parry those blows completely. That said, if you're fighting someone with a dagger, you should just draw your secondary weapon. I know you all want to land a :sicknasty: head explode, but if you die to that dagger because you insisted on keeping your sledgehammer or whatever out it's your own god damned fault.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not like it's really easier to parry a dagger with a short sword though, you still need to parry one of their strikes and hit one of your own and for every missed parry they get 2-3 free hits. It's often better to stick to your main and try to get a riposte off, if they're particularly defensive a feint can do the trick.

I'd rather hold on to the zweihander and try to off them in one hit then switch to a short sword and be required to hit them 4 times before they can cheese me with the dagger.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The short sword 2 hits archers and MaAs with stabs, which at the very least ypu can hit trade rather than being stunlocked.

In all honesty though I think unrealistic parries is pretty low on the long list of things that need to be fixed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
It's not that difficult to deal with dagger archers so long as you don't let them get too close. Though once they do get close you're in trouble.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think they should just make the parry window smaller in general. It feels way to easy to parry most weapons since the timing is so big.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Recently I have had many occasions where I feint with a slow rear end weapon, see the opponent raise his parry for my feinted attack and he still parries my real attack, with the same parry. It really annoys me when that happens.

I also really hate the panic parry mechanic, pouncing at someone after they missed an attack is nearly useless unless you're willing to trade attacks until his stamina runs out.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

On the subject of someone in the thread playing using the name "Press Q to win", I've been kicked from 3 servers now for playing as "Feint makes you cry". Not votekicked, just kicked.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I played with that, I changed it cause it seemed to increase the tendency for people to just votekick me after the third time I owned them with feints, so yeah, pretty much the same. The community sucks.

Now I play as "The Pounce That Was Promised" and whenever someone whines at me I just tell them "I am the pounce that was promised, mine is the purr of ice and fire". Hey, At least I'm not named "Ser Jaime".

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

It's not that difficult to deal with dagger archers so long as you don't let them get too close. Though once they do get close you're in trouble.

The only thing that consistently ruins my poo poo as dagger archer are feints on medium speed weapons and delayed attacks on the slowest weapons like looking up with mauls and dragging zweis since they both go slower than I expect and the parry speed is almost outruns the attack itself. I don't know why people get so mad about daggers blocking everything because there really is no room for error. I've played hundreds of hours as MaA and archer melee is much harder but much more satisfying just because the rage it generates. The only strengths are in softening people at range and getting people to make mistakes by thinking you're the average melee-retarded archer. I've now taken to swapping to the dagger against MaA and archers just because the speed makes it so effective.

I've recently tried duels for the first time and holy moly do people get mad about archers. Heavy crossbow and thrusting dagger means bodyshotting a charging vanguard then facestabbing him mid charge for a good time. Once I learned that un-equipping the pavise shield as archer kept from having your weapons reset to default every round, it was an outpouring of angry tears.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Anyone know what this 39 MB patch was about?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I think you're misunderstanding what a parry is. It's a redirection of an incoming attack. For some reason, the course to animate this as the weapon recoiling back towards the attacker which is inappropriate. My guess it's they simply didn't animate 2 different modes for having an attack blocked. Realistically, a knife or just about anything else could redirect an incoming attack. As to how long it could maintain this is questionable, but it's not like this game is terribly realistic anyway.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The real problem is that with the way the game works it's significantly easier to parry long weapons that have plenty of parrying tracers than it is to parry short weapons that can pretty arbitrarily just go right through your parry as they have fewer parry tracers.

I think a possible solution would be to add parry tracers to the characters' hands as it doesn't make sense that an archer would have his hands go completely through your shield/raised weapon for that sweet OH dagger attack, it would also reduce some of the benefits of facehugging as having the blade spawn inside a character wouldn't be a guaranteed hit.

Edit: It's also utter stupidity that shields generate the same blocking area as weapon parries, the larger the weapon/shield the bigger the blocking area should be. Luckily with 1.2 million units sold we might be fortunate enough to see some of these issues addressed in Chivalry 2.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The war bow is absolutely ridiculous, and I love it. One shotting other archers? Yes please.

The effort of getting through those first two bows are definitely worth it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm going be sad when the MAA Float Jump glitch is fixed. You can use it to get behind the fences on Moor, above the walls in the Throneroom, and onto the castle walls with the ballista on Stonehill Village. That last part's definitely why they need to patch it though. You can get into Agatha's spawn during the ram phase or get up there in a FFA or TDM or something and start launching ballista bolts at everyone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

The war bow is absolutely ridiculous, and I love it. One shotting other archers? Yes please.

Excellent, because I was just about to give up. gently caress bows.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah the warbow is great once you get the hang of it. Still, I kinda like the short bow because of how fast it fires. Just stay with your knights and vanguards and take pot shots at the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYueToxhdls

:canada:

• Locked thread