Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Mazinkaiser SKL is great and I love it. I heard not everyone does. Do those people hate fun?

On the note of all things Mazinger, I take it if I want raws of the original I'll have to wait for Discotek to release the box set now? I don't think I'm allowed to ask where to find raws now that someone owns the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
As a guy thats totally fine watching something for fun big robots regardless of quality, I hate SKL but Im not sure why.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SKL was more like one of those hyper-violent OVAs you got in the 80's/90's only with less gore. Three episodes, arsehole main characters, a bunch of fighting and a nonsensical story.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Like everything was trying to be EXTREME! and 90s and Heavy Metal and poo poo. Breast Fire things ARE ALSO GUNS WOAH (are we cool now?).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Really, two things got me into anime, the cartoons I'd watch as a kid (like "Goldorak" or "Albator" on some channels we got from Quebec over here in New-Brunswick), and later all those violent OVAs like Genocyber or Devilman. So I ended up being just fine with SKL. Well, other than the paper-thin story.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
For all its bluster, I found SKL to be really goddamn boring.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Mazinkaiser SKL is pure liquid 80's and I love it for being that, good or bad aren't even words you can use to describe it. Then again, I found ways to enjoy Angel Cop so maybe I'm just completely insane.

I take it that's a no to unsubbed original Mazinger then?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hbomberguy posted:

I take it that's a no to unsubbed original Mazinger then?

I've never been able to find them, just the old Hong Kong bootlegs. There was a fansubber that translated the first couple of episode of the original, but he stopped a long while back. I still think I'm dreaming that Discotek is actually bringing the show over, and I have way too much false hope that they'll actually translate the entire series (because it's over 90 episodes long).

As for Mazinkaiser SKL, my only problem with it is that it's a Mazinger show without Kouji, and that just messes with my head, maaaaaaan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow, GaoGaiGar FINAL had a much more depressing ending than I was expecting. :(

Which other super robot shows come close to the levels of crazy in that and TTGL? Not counting shows Yasuhiro Imagawa had a hand in, I've seen all those. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gunbuster and Diebuster are up there in the crazy awesome department.

I'm also going to vouch for Betterman even if it is not a super robot show at all because it is part of the GGG universe and actually manages to be unsettling and creepy at times, which is no mean feat for anime.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Only if you dont believe our heroes will return one day :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Which other super robot shows come close to the levels of crazy in that and TTGL? Not counting shows Yasuhiro Imagawa had a hand in, I've seen all those. :v:

Have you checked out any of the Getter Robo OVAs? Those are the first things that come to mind for me.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Like TK-31 said, both Gunbuster and Diebuster are really good. Diebuster was what Gainax made right before Gurren Lagann but it's very much its own show even though it has similar basic themes (giant robots and fighting in giant robots, for example). I'm watching through Diebuster right now and I think I can die happy.

Try Shin Mazinger Z, it's pretty crazy. For being one of the foundational pillars of the super robot genre, Mazinger Z's actual plot when it comes down to it is freaking crazy and nonstandard. I'm willing to bet if you're posting in this thread that you've already seen it though.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sakurazuka posted:

Kotetsushin Jeeg isn't a particularly special show but the fighting gets pretty crazy towards the end and it has the best insert song.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

KoB posted:

Only if you dont believe our heroes will return one day :colbert:

Genesis Gaogaigar is ready to shoot out of the sun towards the train-Gaogaigar that Mamoru and Kaidou pilot any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

edit: I misspelled "Genesic" but I'm going to keep it that way because it's awesome.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 22, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for the suggestions, I've seen most of those unfortunately though. I'll check out Jeeg and have been reminded that I never got around to finishing New Getter Robo, so it's all good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silentman0 posted:

Genesis Gaogaigar is ready to shoot out of the sun towards the train-Gaogaigar that Mamoru and Kaidou pilot any day now.

I know the mecha your referring to, but the way your phased it makes me think of some weird Yuusha Robo that's a mix of Gaogaigar and Mightgaine. Not a combination, but a separate machine with their characteristics.

Now that I think about it, I really liked the art direction in Mightgaine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ActionZero posted:

Kotetsushin Jeeg isn't a particularly special show but the fighting gets pretty crazy towards the end and it has the best insert song.

Oh hey, I love that song and the Jeeg opening. So there are some Jam project songs I do like, even if only one or two.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

These HK subs are making Mazinger Z vs. SatanDevilman much more watchable. :v:

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
HK subs improved my watching of Mazinger Z tenfold.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

MG42 posted:

That doesn't sound ominous at all, grandpa!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I want subs of the Arabic version of Mazinger Z where Doctor Hell is renamed Father Rage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

I want subs of the Arabic version of Mazinger Z where Doctor Hell is renamed Father Rage.

Honestly, that's a kind of badass villain name.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In other awesome news Getter Robo subbing is alive again with 27!

http://caffinsubs.blogspot.com/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, don't think I've seen another show address the amount of collateral damage from giant robot fights as much as New Getter Robo.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zambot 3 made it a plot point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, don't think I've seen another show address the amount of collateral damage from giant robot fights as much as New Getter Robo.

Several shows have, including stuff like GaoGaiGar introducing the Dividing Driver to help limit it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Several shows have, including stuff like GaoGaiGar introducing the Dividing Driver to help limit it.

And in the few situations where the Dividing Driver didn't magically render all collateral damage impossible, they had the magic robot fleet to repair everything perfectly.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

A subtle and nuanced look at a young boy and his interaction with A.I

I've been considering making an organic robots thread since we have one for real and one for super, but other than raxephon (owns) eva (has own thread, sucks idiot balls) and brain powerd (owns owns owns everyone watch it now) there aren't too many examples of the genre to toss out for better or worse, let alone stand out luminaries. EDIT i guess technically maybe valvrave could go in there but that show is hot Hot HOT and will have its own thread and forums presence so it wouldn't really count

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

The few shows I have seen it even mentioned either use magic like the Dividing Driver to negate it or it's just a scene of the main character looking sad when he realises a bunch of people just got flattened (Shin Mazinger).

Edit: I mean it's not like New Getter makes it an integral part of the plot but you do get a close up look at the consequences when most shows go out of their way to keep that aspect at arms length.

Guyver posted:

Zambot 3 made it a plot point.

Pretty sure that's next on my list.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2013

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Dai Guard certainly took property damage into account. And usually made it a plot point, as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Daler Mehndi posted:

Dai Guard certainly took property damage into account. And usually made it a plot point, as well.

Even in Dai Guard collateral damage was primarily used as a gag device to make jokes about panicked salarymen punching repair costs into their calculators and sweating profusely every time Akagi flattened a car or punched a heterodyne into a skyscraper or whatever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Lion posted:

I've been considering making an organic robots thread since we have one for real and one for super, but other than raxephon (owns) eva (has own thread, sucks idiot balls) and brain powerd (owns owns owns everyone watch it now) there aren't too many examples of the genre to toss out for better or worse, let alone stand out luminaries. EDIT i guess technically maybe valvrave could go in there but that show is hot Hot HOT and will have its own thread and forums presence so it wouldn't really count

Eh, we don't really have a thread for real robots, unless you're counting Gundam, which is kind of its own thing because there are just so many drat sequels, prequels, and spin-offs for the franchise at large. I mean, this thread is pretty much a catch-all mecha thread despite what the title says.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Robot Wars contains real robots so Super Robot Thread should contain real robots. Simple enough. It's a super thread for robots, not a thread for super robots.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

Off the top of my head there's the God Soldier in Nausicca, the Aura Battlers in Dunbine, the Inbit in Mospeada, the Seikijin in Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari/War on Geminar and I's think Neo Ranga and the other gods in that would count. You could probably build quite a list.

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure that's next on my list.
Do it. Zambot is seriously under watched for how good it is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MG42 posted:

HKSubs loving own.

My personal favorite:

e: Also, is it bad that I kind of want to see more of Ginguiser? I had a blast watching the first episode, it was so loving goofy and toyetic I couldn't look away.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guyver posted:

Do it. Zambot is seriously under watched for how good it is.

After episode 2 Kappei is already the most realistic (almost) teenage robot pilot 'Screw fighting stuff, I'm gonna use it to impress some girls.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

After episode 2 Kappei is already the most realistic (almost) teenage robot pilot 'Screw fighting stuff, I'm gonna use it to impress some girls.'

Go watch Da Garn, watch Seiji use his robots to travel to another country to hit on foreign girls in his best English accent :colbert:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kanos posted:

Even in Dai Guard collateral damage was primarily used as a gag device to make jokes about panicked salarymen punching repair costs into their calculators and sweating profusely every time Akagi flattened a car or punched a heterodyne into a skyscraper or whatever.

Gear Fighter Dendoh had the best collateral damage gag.

Prefabricated buildings are seen being airlifted into Hoshimi-cho after the first fight. Over the course of the series, they gradually become a more and more numerous part of the background of otherwise "normal" shots as the fights get more and more devastating. By the time you get to the end of the show, there's almost always several buildings being airlifted in practically a city block at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Linebarrels of Iron chapter 103 is out.

So, time on the Moon flows differently. For Kouichi, it was only an hour between his disappearance and return, as opposed to 3 years on Earth. He gets reacquainted with everything (height, age and boob jokes occur), including Maxi's...personality and Izuna's death. Kouichi starts blaming himself for rescuing Miu back when she first became a Factor, but Douymuji tells him to not blame himself. Sawatari seems to now be working with Humanoid Abraham Lincoln, and they have their eyes on Kouichi for [insert Evil Plan # here]. The chapter ends on a cliffhanger (this series has a fetish for these things, seriously) with Shizuna and Kiriyama in Nagasaki in front of a hangar that holds what looks like a Machina.

Either Deceive got rebuilt and she's going to be its new Factor, or Painkiller's new form got captured off-panel and is being reconditioned somehow, since Shizuna states that "she" wants to keep on fighting. Even though I don't think Deceive was ever referred to as female in the past, I'm leaning to the mystery mech being Deceive due to Shizuna's comments.

• Locked thread