Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HughGRect posted:

/camp or /quit both still work if you fall off the honeycomb. I have also heard that if you complete a path without stepping on the honeycomb it counts towards the final path to the letter without advancing the scene (so you can fall without going to the burning house). I will test the second theory when the mission is off cooldown again.

I can confirm this, it's how I did it. Learned the trick from a person's YouTube video. When you see the final platform on any given path form, turn around and go back down. As long as you don't step on the final honeycomb platform, falling will just put you back on the central honeycomb, so you can take your time and get them all without stressing. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Can we please get enough people on Wednesday to do the raid? I joined a pubbie group and it was so disorganized I left before we even pulled the trash mobs.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I can't do Wednesday, but I could make it on Thursday (my Friday) if people are keen.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Looks like new clothes Tuesday favors the ladies over the fellas. Dudes get some jeans with a skull and cross bones belt buckle, ladies get more dresses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus even without trying to find bugs I found them. The codes for the ingame shirts from welovefine are in the item shop to redeem. But not under "claim items". They're tucked away in the jackets and shirts section for some dumb gently caress reason.

Edit: Looks what's finally live!

But in true Funcompetence, don't wear it with a jacket.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 20, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

Looks like new clothes Tuesday favors the ladies over the fellas. Dudes get some jeans with a skull and cross bones belt buckle, ladies get more dresses.
Dresses as in bikinis and swimsuits. I don't even dare to read the outfits thread on the official forums :ohdear:

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

Edit: Looks what's finally live!

gently caress yeah!

Too bad I just don't really care enough anymore though.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Oh hey, a year later and cabals are being fleshed out finally.

The different tiers of membership in cabals can be named whatever, and permissions given to whoever the gently caress wants them. Something about logs working now for bank withdrawals as well now. Only thing worth talking about? Can give more people the ability to invite. :toot:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Oh hey, a year later and cabals are being fleshed out finally.

The different tiers of membership in cabals can be named whatever, and permissions given to whoever the gently caress wants them. Something about logs working now for bank withdrawals as well now. Only thing worth talking about? Can give more people the ability to invite. :toot:

Hey now! Cut them some slack! They intended to retool cabals in issue 6 but had to train someone on how the cabals worked now since they fired the guy who programmed them.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 7. Praying that this buggy abortion of a still somehow fun game will run without crashing every 10-20 minutes now. There might just be life left in this ol' Space Fixer yet...

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Amante posted:

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 7. Praying that this buggy abortion of a still somehow fun game will run without crashing every 10-20 minutes now. There might just be life left in this ol' Space Fixer yet...

Hope it works out for ya.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

Space Fixer has nothin' on Mankinicorn and you know it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Say it five times fast.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Looks like Hugh was right about next month's item:

Got this from an email telling me they're doing a 50% discount on memberships bought in the last week of August, which I guess is their response to FF14 coming out.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 22, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Wonder what hammer that is, doesn't look familiar.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To me it looks like the mayan hammer skin you get in DW.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sing along 18s are my new favorite way to run dungeons. It breathes fresh life into this game! Let's do it more often.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Len posted:

Sing along 18s are my new favorite way to run dungeons. It breathes fresh life into this game! Let's do it more often.

I don't know any popular songs though. :smith:

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.
Who else is expecting TSW to be a bit of a ghost town for the next few weeks? All hail our new moogle overlords.

Also, just a reminder, I will not be able to make the raid Sunday or Wednesday, I have switch shifts at work for a week to help work on some international bullshite.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

killingtime posted:

Who else is expecting TSW to be a bit of a ghost town for the next few weeks? All hail our new moogle overlords.

Also, just a reminder, I will not be able to make the raid Sunday or Wednesday, I have switch shifts at work for a week to help work on some international bullshite.

It wasn't a ghost town already?

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.

Len posted:

It wasn't a ghost town already?

There were the occasional squatter that refused to move on, in a dying town, possibly even cannibals. Tomorrow...tumbleweeds only.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

killingtime posted:

There were the occasional squatter that refused to move on, in a dying town, possibly even cannibals. Tomorrow...tumbleweeds only.

Man, now I feel like a Hobo TSW veteran who refuses to give up the secret war. Guess if I am gonna squat, I will do it in a white silhouette and wipe as many pubbie groups as possible.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Update on Janos Draogani!

After much effort (and finding a geometry glitch in the mission that can get you stuck), I have managed to get the achievement. Here's what I learned from the experience: it is indeed doable in a group and dying does NOT disqualify you from the achievement (at least as long as one of the party members stays alive).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

killingtime posted:

What the gently caress is a moogle?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This is a moogle. He's referring to Final Fantasy 14 launching early access this weekend.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I don't think the FF14 crowd and the TSW crowd have many overlapping demographics.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

macnbc posted:

I don't think the FF14 crowd and the TSW crowd have many overlapping demographics.

See, you'd think that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The thing is, how much of a dent in other communities did FFXIV make the first time it released? I certainly didn't see a whole lot of anything there on City of Heroes, which I think I was still playing at the time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Independent of what the playerbase as a whole is doing, a lot of the active TSW goons are playing FF, so our corner of the Secret World will be quieter.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2013

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The thing is, how much of a dent in other communities did FFXIV make the first time it released? I certainly didn't see a whole lot of anything there on City of Heroes, which I think I was still playing at the time.

I don't remember many details, but wasn't the first XIV launch a hilarious failure?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cleretic posted:

Well, the first time it was released it was pretty awful, and apparently now it's pretty good, so it's not really comparable.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kaethela posted:

I don't remember many details, but wasn't the first XIV launch a hilarious failure?

Yes, which is why they're taking a mulligan. The two can't really be compared though because they basically gutted and rebuilt the entire game. Square made a pretty vocal mea culpa over it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So for $15 bucks, I decided to give this a try. Played a couple weekends in beta, but didn't have the time or interest to pay $50 at launch.

I've been playing it for a while today, and I've finished this 60 point 'starter build' - http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-aoe-and-survival-healing-with-bladear/

My question though - is there a good 'newbie guide' reference to help me move forward from here?

Things like where should I prioritize my skill points - weapon offense/defense vs. talismans. How to move forward with abilities, and what I should be looking for in gear.

I've been disassembling everything, but even doing that 100% of the time, the best stuff I can make in my tool-box crafting is worse than the random QL2 and QL3 drops/rewards I've gotten in every slot, and I've only got enough of the level 1 metal to make 3 of the next level, so it seems fairly impossible to ever be able to craft something useful at this point.

I did the /chat join goons, but have never seen any chat, but I may have missed some.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Locator posted:

So for $15 bucks, I decided to give this a try. Played a couple weekends in beta, but didn't have the time or interest to pay $50 at launch.

I've been playing it for a while today, and I've finished this 60 point 'starter build' - http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-aoe-and-survival-healing-with-bladear/

My question though - is there a good 'newbie guide' reference to help me move forward from here?

Things like where should I prioritize my skill points - weapon offense/defense vs. talismans. How to move forward with abilities, and what I should be looking for in gear.

I've been disassembling everything, but even doing that 100% of the time, the best stuff I can make in my tool-box crafting is worse than the random QL2 and QL3 drops/rewards I've gotten in every slot, and I've only got enough of the level 1 metal to make 3 of the next level, so it seems fairly impossible to ever be able to craft something useful at this point.

I did the /chat join goons, but have never seen any chat, but I may have missed some.

I don't really suggest crafting until you hit end game and even then that's just for your end game glyphs. Crafting in the rest of the game is pretty much made obsolete the second you start running dungeons/doing quests.

The goon chat channel is /chat join awful but there really isn't much traffic there. Most of us congregate on mumble. And no you don't need a mic to go there and get our attention for things but it certainly does help.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

macnbc posted:

Yes, which is why they're taking a mulligan. The two can't really be compared though because they basically gutted and rebuilt the entire game. Square made a pretty vocal mea culpa over it.

I'm not going to compare them in terms of content or gameplay, but I think it's fair enough to compare them in terms of potential community, both within the game and its impact on other MMOs. It's 'the same game, but good this time', so it's going to attract the same group. Probably for longer this time, but I think it's fair to estimate the relaunch's impact with the information we have on when it launched the first time.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

The Locator posted:

I don't think there are any newbie guides outside the OP made by goons, the official game forums might have something hidden in that sea of filth. But I will answer your questions:

The first 60 builds are a neat idea, but dated, the abilities have changed to much. We can help you with that if you run into issues with that blade/ar build.

I believe the best way to spend SP is to initially get your primary weapon to 5, talismans to 2 and keep your secondary weapon as close to the primary after you level everything else. The reasoning I'd that you can get a nice QL 6 weapon for the sequins you earn doing missions (30 I believe). Then with talismans at 2 you can wear anything that drops in Kingsmouth and the Polaris dungeon. As you progress through Savage Coast and Blue Mountain keep raising your Talismans to wear the drops. If you don't mind cheesing content we can always run you (or any undergeared goon) through all the elite dungeons for a nice chunk of xp and Blue ql 10 gear.

Sell weapons whole, they are worth more then what you could sell the metal for. Keep some leaching potions for oh poo poo moments. Disassemble everything else and either vendor the crafting runes or sell them on the auction house. There is nothing worth crafting the game until you hit the end game grind. If you need a piece of gear upgraded check the auction house can usually find a full set for pretty cheap.

I believe the game is mostly empty of goons for the moment with the lack of new repeatable content and FF 14 launch weekend. Did you look in chat join awful or goon, we hide in awful. You can type /chat list awful to see if anyone is there. Mumble has been pretty dead for the same reasons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, that is just the sort of guidance I was looking for.

I already restarted as a blade/fist build, I just wasn't getting the timing on blade/ar, although having ranged was nice for pulls.

My new character is already better than the old one, and I'll take your advice on the crafting (i.e. not). I didn't even know there was an AH. :)

Thanks for the guidance on skills as well, I'll work on pushing the blade skill up, as that's my main weapon.

I did join awful, I just typed goons for some reason in my post. Didn't know about the /chat list command, that's useful.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Once you know what you're doing re: quests it's relatively quick and easy to try a new play style on an alt, you can get a functional narrow-specced character to the end of the Polaris dungeon in about 2 hours, including the dungeon run, while having enough XP to grab skills on your second ring.

Edit: If you play at weird times, stick me on your friends list. IGN iDread

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Locator posted:

I already restarted as a blade/fist build,

If you have already restarted, its one thing, but there is really never a need to make a new character (beyond seeing the other order's flavor, or maybe PvP). It always takes the same amount of XP to get an AP/SP point. Since any existing character has better access to quests that give higher xp, an existing character is in a better place to start two weapons from scratch than a new character is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Reverend Dr posted:

If you have already restarted, its one thing, but there is really never a need to make a new character (beyond seeing the other order's flavor, or maybe PvP). It always takes the same amount of XP to get an AP/SP point. Since any existing character has better access to quests that give higher xp, an existing character is in a better place to start two weapons from scratch than a new character is.

Hrm, good point. I guess due to the mechanics of this game that makes sense to just re-do your existing character. I'll switch back just because of the better gear I guess, even if I did pick a dumb nickname because I had no idea that it was your nickname that is actually your character name in game.

Then again, all my MMO characters have dumb unimaginative games, so it fits right in.

• Locked thread