Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm sure modern, civvie versions are fine. The ones that we have are easily older than anyone currently in service, and the mags aren't much better. Seriously, they're WW2 war stock, ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

So basically the BHP is in the same boat with the Sea Kings, got it.
Didn't the forces lease a bunch of Leo 2A5s for Afganistan? Why not just use that cash for new sidearms and helicopters?

Granted I'm questioning decisions made years ago, but still.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

So basically the BHP is in the same boat with the Sea Kings, got it.
Didn't the forces lease a bunch of Leo 2A5s for Afganistan? Why not just use that cash for new sidearms and helicopters?

Granted I'm questioning decisions made years ago, but still.

We use P225s as well sometimes and all our allies have sick helicopters that we just use whenever.

The M777 is another great story of Canadian procurement. The Americans ordered like 650 of them, so they let us buy one of the lots of like 30 to skip the line-up of the other countries.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Quick question about joining reserves: are you suppose to call them up and go "hay where da jobs at? :v:"? It seems so . . . decentralized?

CAF web site posted:

JOINING THE RESERVES

If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available and then apply online. Your local recruiting centre will process your application and ensure that you complete the required steps of the application process. Reserve applicants are required to pass a physical fitness test before being selected. All other steps of the application process are the same as for the Regular Force.

Once you have been evaluated and the application process is complete, your local Reserve unit decides to issue a job offer. Not everyone who applies for a job in the Reserves will get one. It all depends on job availability.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Science posted:

Quick question about joining reserves: are you suppose to call them up and go "hay where da jobs at? :v:"? It seems so . . . decentralized?

When I did it (a decade ago), yes. My application to the reserves was all handled through the local regiment. It was much less involved than the concurrent active duty application I also submitted.

Ended up getting the full time contract first and shipped out soon after, so I never found out what happened to my application.

EDIT:

MA-Horus posted:

You will never want a BHP after using the ones in the Forces. They are bad.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 17, 2013

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Simkin posted:

I'm sure modern, civvie versions are fine. The ones that we have are easily older than anyone currently in service, and the mags aren't much better. Seriously, they're WW2 war stock, ffs.

I hate them. They are bad pistols. That magazine safety is the most idiotic thing ever and it leads to people sticking their fingers up the mag well to try and trip it.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

I hate them. They are bad pistols. That magazine safety is the most idiotic thing ever and it leads to people sticking their fingers up the mag well to try and trip it.

Stupid stupid stupid.

GOC conspiracy to line the coffers with gold from money obtained by ND charge parades.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Science posted:

Well, you can jump to the inevitable first step and go to a Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre. But yeah, at that point you just have to be like, "Hey I'd like to join the reserves, I'm interested in X, but what do you have?"

Consider it good practice for a long career of begging for everything.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

GOC conspiracy to line the coffers with gold from money obtained by ND charge parades.

Doesn't take long at $150 a pop for people going through training. :laugh:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Science posted:

That's how I did it. Track down some people in the local units and have a talk with them. Depending on how things are going you might apply online, or that unit might be stuck in the 80s and you'll have to do it all by hand.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Stupid stupid stupid.

BHPs are great and probably one of the best pistols I've shot (and I've shot a lot). I'd take one over the American's Beretta or a CF MP's Sig any day. New magazines make a world of difference.

All that being said, handguns are loving useless and excluding the times overseas where having a firearm on you is mandatory I can't think of a single moment where I would have rather had a handgun over my C8.

acumen fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 18, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

acumen posted:

BHPs are great and probably one of the best pistols I've shot (and I've shot a lot). I'd take one over the American's Beretta or a CF MP's Sig any day. New magazines make a world of difference.

All that being said, handguns are loving useless and excluding the times overseas where having a firearm on you is mandatory I can't think of a single moment where I would have rather had a handgun over my C8.

I found the slide catch to be very uncomfortable to operate, and like others said, having to put in a mag to clear the pistol seems pretty dumb from a safety standpoint. Note: my only other points of reference are the Steyr M and Glock 17, both of which I found to be infinitely more comfortable to use.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 19, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mr.48 posted:

I found the slide catch to be very uncomfortable to operate, and like others said, having to put in a mag to clear the pistol seems pretty dumb from a safety standpoint.

Anything stored as pile of pieces in a triwall with a sheet of paper taped to the side that has "AIRCREWS WAPONS" written on it in pencil has no business being mentioned in the same breath as "a safety standpoint".

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So, how about them stealth snowmobiles? :canada: :hf: :laugh:

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Simkin posted:

So, how about them stealth snowmobiles? :canada: :hf: :laugh:

This is a unique Canadian design I can get behind...:canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/08/18/north-arctic-snowmobile.html

E: wouldn't the giant cloud of powder/being the only moving object in the tundra kind of negate any stealth applications?

scaper exile fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 20, 2013

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Are there any resources to help prepare for the aptitude test? I remember seeing something in this thread but scanning the last few pages turned up nothing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For enlistment? The aptitude test I took in late July was dead-easy, and the LT who did my interview told me I qualified for apparently every trade possible just based off those results. The sample test is really accurate as to what kind of stuff you can expect to run into, so look it over and just bone up on whatever gives you trouble.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Oh poo poo really? I did the test one and assumed it had to be wrong it was too easy. Though I could brush up on long division, I'm a bit slow at it. Thanks.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Dementedghost posted:

Are there any resources to help prepare for the aptitude test? I remember seeing something in this thread but scanning the last few pages turned up nothing.

The test is super easy. When I went in to apply for pilot a few months ago I was told that I didnt even need to do it because the old one I did back when I was fresh out of high-school still put me in the 99th percentile. And I'm pretty sure I'm not all that smart.

Heres a practice test you can do:
http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
I'm thinking of applying for non-commissioned position in the reserves. What kind of research do they do into your employment history? Is it just checking out references I give or are they going to go digging around for jobs I don't mention, because I'm a terrible employee.

Persona non grata fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 20, 2013

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Depends what security clearance the job you're applying to requires. If it's Secret, they'll probably contact your references, if it's Top Secret (I don't imagine there's many TS reservists), they'll probably dig a bit more.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
They're really not into giving out TS clearances these days, unless you really really need one. I can't tell if it has more to do with budget cuts and laziness or overcautiosness with people potentially selling secrets to the Russians.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
Navy loses contact with Sub contractor

I found this amusing. More happy fun times for Ottawa and ADM(Mat) I'm sure.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

We are certificated due to the qualty management system ISO 9001-2000. Continuous controls of the production process, a final inspection of the completed systems and a factory acceptance test assure a high quality of our equipment. A site acceptance test completes the control process and demonstrates the functionality of the systems.

We are able to complete the contract of the defense for money amounts of the seventh figure, but not having the ability to construct coherent sentences on England language.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Sir John Eh posted:

Navy loses contact with Sub contractor

I found this amusing. More happy fun times for Ottawa and ADM(Mat) I'm sure.

Only a Million? Chump change.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Jebus posted:

Only a Million? Chump change.

That's like half the budget

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Pufflekins posted:

That's like half the budget

Not for subs it ain't.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
I think it's like half a periodic maintenance for a Sea King.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
(It was a joke stating that 1 million dollars is half the CAF budget.)

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, 13 degrees here, glad i had an extra set of fleece when i got out.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Welp.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/08/31/canada-warship-collision-hmcs-algonquin.html

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/1003543_819226148285_1620403099_n.jpg

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
No one was hurt so I'm laughing and laughing and laughing...Algoncatraz was several days late sailing too. They should just tie it up in Colwood and walk away. Let it be a heron habitat.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nothing a little bondo and paint won't fix. It's the CF way!

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
Come on Navy, get your poo poo together.

I'm laughing way too hard at this.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
MARPAC Facebook page:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Fairly impressed that the first thing to hit the news about it was the official press release. A rare thing these days.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Those'll buff right out...

Simkin
May 18, 2007

They had the commander of the pacific fleet on CBC this morning, and he ended up sounding like a tape loop. I get that you can't answer some questions, but maybe direct the interviewer to someone who can like a PAO or some scrub down on the docks?

Also, making fun of MARS friends who were on the ship took approximately 3 seconds after the story went up.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

You will never want a BHP after using the ones in the Forces. They are bad.

FffffFFFFFFFFFF

Be aware that my response here is coloured by the fact that I really like the Hi Power as a design.

They really are great pistols. But the ones we use suffer from all being over 65 years old. And the magazines are worse. Most failures you'll encounter while using the BHP in service will be magazine related. The design is excellent, except for the mag safety which was included as a feature for French military trials in the '30's. If you own your own, rip that garbage out. It's 100% removable with no ill effects.

Otherwise, it's a reliable and easy to shoot design that is the parent to most pistols available today.

Now, if we were procuring new pistols today (which apparently we are :rolleyes: ), would I buy Hi Powers? No. But for something designed in the early 30's and manufactured in the mid 40's, they've served us pretty well.

And having one overseas was a godsend. It was awesome not having to lug a C7 into the mess hall all the damned time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DrakeriderCa posted:

FffffFFFFFFFFFF

Be aware that my response here is coloured by the fact that I really like the Hi Power as a design.

They really are great pistols. But the ones we use suffer from all being over 65 years old. And the magazines are worse. Most failures you'll encounter while using the BHP in service will be magazine related. The design is excellent, except for the mag safety which was included as a feature for French military trials in the '30's. If you own your own, rip that garbage out. It's 100% removable with no ill effects.

Otherwise, it's a reliable and easy to shoot design that is the parent to most pistols available today.

Now, if we were procuring new pistols today (which apparently we are :rolleyes: ), would I buy Hi Powers? No. But for something designed in the early 30's and manufactured in the mid 40's, they've served us pretty well.

And having one overseas was a godsend. It was awesome not having to lug a C7 into the mess hall all the damned time.

I really, really loved shooting the BHP. Mind you we had new magazines.

I never had any issues with the mag safety. I hope the CF sells off the pistols, I'd buy one.