Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Well, it took Luffy years to train his rubber body to not be completely useless, let alone useful. CP9 were special cases in that they happened to be extremely fast learners. Even then, they still had next to no ability to utilise their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fat_Cow posted:

There was something about Crocodile saying he "trained" his fruit so it would automatically turn him to sand.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Logia users don't initially turn into their element when hit, it's something they have to train for. But then we've only ever seen high level Logia users who've made it fairly far into the Grand Line. Caribou is probably the weakest Logia user we've seen so far, but he came in at a point where everybody and their grandma can use Haki, so it's hard to tell if he's getting hit cause he's untrained or if it's just Haki.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression their bodies were literally made from the element so it would be impossible to hit them just by surprising them. I mean, think about Luffy. Even episode 1 Luffy, you'd be surprised if someone managed to punch him just because he was surprised and he isn't even logia. Or when Ace got shot by the sniper in Blackbeard's crew and it just blew through him. However, yes, there is evidence supporting the other claim, but I think it is mostly for comical purposes, like Alabasta. I'd be surprised if you could simply surprise a logia user.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah when they first get the fruit it takes a while to train their body to have that response. If Ace's body was 100% flames all the time he would have a pretty hard time sailing around on wooden ships.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
We just got a good example when Tashigi was in Smokers body and couldn't figure out how to turn into smoke. Every other time we've seen a Logia user they've trained for years to the point that they can go intangible on instinct.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drakkel posted:

We just got a good example when Tashigi was in Smokers body and couldn't figure out how to turn into smoke. Every other time we've seen a Logia user they've trained for years to the point that they can go intangible on instinct.

Exactly. Especially at this point in the show, you didn't get this far if you can't even manage basic skills like that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I have got to figure out how to make the Law hat. I'm making the hoodie, might as well come full circle.

But how the goof do you even make that kind of hat?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Parrotine posted:

I have got to figure out how to make the Law hat. I'm making the hoodie, might as well come full circle.

When I was in Japan back in May, the Shonen Jump character store was actually selling official ones. They look good, too. Not sure how to find them online, much less order one.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow0 posted:

I was under the impression their bodies were literally made from the element so it would be impossible to hit them just by surprising them. I mean, think about Luffy.

Luffy is a Paramecia, and they work a little differently. Buggy, for example, doesn't need to think about separating his body when cut, since his power lets him get chopped up without worry. Luffy can't suddenly not be rubber, so a punch would just kinda bounce off of him.

Course, the rules for Paramecia change person to person. Moria might have trained himself to the point where he can switch with his shadow when he gets hit on reflex, but he's not made of shadows, he only controls them. Daz Bones is made of blades but he doesn't slice everything so he can turn his ability on and off when he needs to go shopping or something.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Parrotine posted:

I saw a dude with a Law hat and few months back. I thought I'd found a fellow One Piece fan, but it turned out he got the hat like 12 years ago and it was just a happy coincidence.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

New episode up, it's pretty good.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

This is the transition part I love about the story arcs. Where all the seemingly pointless backstory and random encounters culminates together to start being awesome.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Chiming in to agree that the new episode is really good, it's fun seeing Caesar getting beat up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's because the anime has been criminally dropping the ball on showing Caesar Clown's many faces.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Gyges posted:

It's because the anime has been criminally dropping the ball on showing Caesar Clown's many faces.

He's had some good faces previously like when he mocked Brownbeard, I just enjoyed it because he's been one of the better villains. It's also nice to see Sanji fighting.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah, looks like they finally spent some money on an episode. Hope they saved some for the next few episodes, too.

I cracked up at Law's :smug: at the end.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Zombie Samurai posted:

But I'm not really here to talk about the latest crappy episode. I want to talk about the movies, because I just got done watching them all.

6 - Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island - This movie OWNS, but it feels more like a great movie that happens to use One Piece characters. The tone is utterly different from anything else, and it gets positively Lovecraftian by the end. I think my wife hated this movie as much as I loved it.

To me this is the only OP film that is required viewing. It uses the characters in interesting ways and at certain points makes the characters seem like more than the caricatures they are. The tone is very different at times but the movie is much more interesting than the show has been the last couple years. I've seen almost all the movies but this is the only one I remember anything about. Heartily recommended!

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Renoistic posted:

To me this is the only OP film that is required viewing. It uses the characters in interesting ways and at certain points makes the characters seem like more than the caricatures they are. The tone is very different at times but the movie is much more interesting than the show has been the last couple years. I've seen almost all the movies but this is the only one I remember anything about. Heartily recommended!

Yeah, I tracked down Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island from Zombie Samurai's recommendation and watched it with a friend who doesn't follow OP and we both loved it. It's a little of a slower burn than I was expecting from all the praise but when it peaks it really peaks. Fantastic movie.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm the only one that hated 6 and thought the other movies were fairly good. Except the one with the mechanical turtle (7?) We're all in agreement that one was awful?

I started watching the show over from the start (looooooong plane ride) and the juxtaposition between Kuina and Ms Crybaby Captain-chan is just unbearable. It's cool and funny that Sanji showed up because he heard the sound of a woman's tear, but can't she win at least one battle? Or do like anything but cry and complain? (Can she even cut steel?)

Also, the female character-designs were so much better. But I've already ranted about that before I think.

Surprisingly, even the beginning episodes feel kind of slow. I'm starting to feel like slow pacing is just an inseparable part of One Piece.

Is there going to be further interaction between Tashigi and Zoro? Zoro could cut her in half by blinking hard enough.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Both Tashigi and Smoker seem to have a case of only being efficient off-camera. They're supposed to be superstrong, hunting pirates in the Grand Line and getting promoted like crazy, yet they can't get anything done right when the strawhats are around.

I didn't like Movie 6 either and don't understand the love it gets, the simplistic, fluid and unshaded style of the characters looks awful over the photorealistic backgrounds and the lowframe ugly CG (that fish scene was cringe-inducing). Also The conflicts between the strawhats members felt really forced and really out of character for them. The climax was great, nonetheless.

My favourite ones are 2 and 4 (still haven't seen Strong World and Z), I feel they're the most faithful to the series and look like abridged canon story arcs.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why does Haki turn your body black?

I'm looking at the Vergo armament fight where his whole body is clouded in Haki

Haki turns your into a dangerous black man or something

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Parrotine posted:

Why does Haki turn your body black?

I'm looking at the Vergo armament fight where his whole body is clouded in Haki

Haki turns your into a dangerous black man or something
It's just a visual representation so you know that the person is using haki, and where. Back before the timeskip, when it was still a mystery, things just randomly hurt people where it shouldn't for no apparent reason except that the attacker looked more smug than usual.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Petiso posted:

My favourite ones are 2 and 4 (still haven't seen Strong World and Z), I feel they're the most faithful to the series and look like abridged canon story arcs.

I personally love 6, but setting that one aside I completely agree. 4 was tied for first or a strong second behind 6 for the longest time because it felt perfectly like a short canon arc. I liked Gasparde and Shuraiya was awesome, it had a lot of good character moments, and the finishing blow Bazooka still gives me chills. It could use some more action for the rest of the crew, but as it is I still love it.

I highly recommend Strong World and Z though. They both look great and are a hell of a lot of fun.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The black isn't just a visual representation of armament haki, though I'm sure that's how the idea came about. It's a specific type of reenforcing called color of armament hardening. Basically it's just an advanced version of it. It's apparently not as easy to do as using it normally since people like Vergo and Z are specifically known for being able to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember times when Luffy's hit Caesar without the hardening, right?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Petiso posted:

I didn't like Movie 6 either and don't understand the love it gets...

My favourite ones are 2 and 4 (still haven't seen Strong World and Z), I feel they're the most faithful to the series

That's pretty much why Movie 6 is so highly regarded, it's not a super faithful recreation of how a normal One Piece story works, it actually tries something different with the series. The pacing is wacky, characters are placed in awkward situations they don't know how to react to, and the artstyle and music set a mood that's pretty different from what audiences are used to. You just don't see that very often, the people who hold the reigns to various long running series like Bleach and Naruto are too scared of change to let anybody experiment with formulas, so the vast majority of non-canon material does it's damnedest to make sure it's 100% faithful to the source material at all times. It looks the same, it sounds the same, characters say the same things and do the same things we've seen them do in the series already. With movie 6 they went "gently caress it, do whatever you want" and let the director actually make an interesting story with the setting and characters that's at least somewhat divorced from the norm. It's not completely alien, there's still enough One Piece in here that you'd never confuse it with another series or something, but they tried and succeeded at making something different.

I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like it, though. People don't like ordering a hamburger and getting a hamburger with bacon. They wanted just a plain hamburger, the gently caress is this bacon doing in here? Worst loving burger ever. Don't understand why people who like hamburgers would ever bother with bacon.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 20, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

This is pretty much exactly why I like it. After hundreds of episodes where the characters always act the same way and say the same things the movie is a breath of fresh air. It comes really close to having actual character development! Of course, everything is back to normal in the end, but it's still pretty great.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The black isn't just a visual representation of armament haki, though I'm sure that's how the idea came about. It's a specific type of reenforcing called color of armament hardening. Basically it's just an advanced version of it. It's apparently not as easy to do as using it normally since people like Vergo and Z are specifically known for being able to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember times when Luffy's hit Caesar without the hardening, right?

Yes it's never clearly stated but there seem to be different "uses" of Armament Haki. The black hardening is one. There's the invisible repelling sort of thing that Rayleigh, Sentomaru and the admirals used pre time skip. And in the next story arc certain characters seem to be using it for vibrating punches.

Oh and charging weapons and ammo is another way to use it I guess.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 20, 2013

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I, too, am in total agreement. In retrospect, I wish more of the movies had been like this, experimenting with different styles and tones. You get plenty of One Piece in the comics and TV show, why not a little twist on it? But it's purely a selfish desire, because that's not what most (Japanese?) fans want. They want to see bigger fights and funnier jokes and One Piece dialed to 120%. And when it works, like in Z and Strong World, it fuckin' works. I just hope they're willing to take more chances in the future.

Anyone know how it was received in Japan? Wikipedia shows it doing around average box office for the middle movies, down from the previous two. And since I just noticed it, holy poo poo Strong World crushed the other movies in terms of ticket sales (no figures for Z yet).

Oh, and new episode. Tune in for Doflamingo giving an incredible lack of fucks.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Oh, and new episode. Tune in for Doflamingo giving an incredible lack of fucks.

After the colossal slogs of Fishman Island and now Punk Hazard, I'm really hoping Doflamingo can show the crew some actual danger, and do it quickly. This show is murdering its own dramatic tension (what little there is) by drawing everything out for so long. For all the buildup he's had over the show's run, it better pay off well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You're out of luck then, pal. Fishman Island is mostly pretty terrible no matter how you slice it, but Punk Hazard at least is mostly pretty drat fast in the comic.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

John Liver posted:

After the colossal slogs of Fishman Island and now Punk Hazard, I'm really hoping Doflamingo can show the crew some actual danger, and do it quickly. This show is murdering its own dramatic tension (what little there is) by drawing everything out for so long. For all the buildup he's had over the show's run, it better pay off well.

The manga's honestly the only way to go if you want tension. The padding and stretching out of scenes in the anime doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just finished the (terrible) Thriller Bark arc and feel really burned out on the anime. Are there any highlights in the coming episodes or should I just skip ahead?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I just finished the (terrible) Thriller Bark arc and feel really burned out on the anime. Are there any highlights in the coming episodes or should I just skip ahead?

From here on in you might just prefer reading the manga, because the stretching out of episodes is just going to continue.

Also because the manga's really, really good and shows so much more detail.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Renoistic posted:

Well, the anime did give the next arc, the Sabaody Archipelago Arc, justice in terms of emotional impact in my opinion. Though I could just be thinking solely of the climax of it, which the anime tends to do better at than at the buildup parts of an arc, which tends to have padding.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Thriller Bark's pacing is really bad in the anime (and it wasn't exactly stellar in the manga either, but the anime's poor pacing just makes it a lot worse). That said, the pacing gets a lot worse in the coming arcs, when they regularly cover just a single chapter per episode. You should seriously consider continuing via the manga instead.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Allarion posted:

Well, the anime did give the next arc, the Sabaody Archipelago Arc, justice in terms of emotional impact in my opinion. Though I could just be thinking solely of the climax of it, which the anime tends to do better at than at the buildup parts of an arc, which tends to have padding.

Yeah, without going into spoilers, the confrontation in the Auction House should absolutely be watched. It's one of the best parts in the whole anime.
It is episode 296.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 21, 2013

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, without going into spoilers, the confrontation in the Auction House should absolutely be watched. It's one of the best parts in the whole anime.
It is episode 296.

396. And I agree. I love the little things that really set Luffy off, where people have not only stepped over his line of bullshit, but taken a poo poo on it too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'll give the manga a shot, but I might as well stick with the anime for a little while longer. I just got to the part where you meet the descendants of the creators for the first time, and they did pretty much every single thing that would piss Luffy off. This could get good... But seriously - the random pirate's collar exploded, then he was shot twice for good measure, and he's STILL not dead? I thought it was bad enough when Kuma didn't manage to kill a single person! The villains in this show are starting to become borderline pathetic.

Is a somewhat threatening villain showing up soon? Aokiji was the last antagonist I thought was actually intimidating and I doubt he will show up in the near future. Kuma WOULD have fit the bill but it's impossible to take him seriously when his doomsday attack fails to take out anyone for more than a few hours.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 22, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The most amazing things are about to happen, and you'd be better off reading the manga and then going back and watching the highlights animated if you're not liking the anime. In the Saobody Arc though there are a couple of instances where the anime does manage to elevate above the manga.

You should know by now that no one ever dies in One Piece though. Just look at :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

The most amazing things are about to happen, and you'd be better off reading the manga and then going back and watching the highlights animated if you're not liking the anime. In the Saobody Arc though there are a couple of instances where the anime does manage to elevate above the manga.

You should know by now that no one ever dies in One Piece though. Just look at :zoro:

Only family members ever die.

As far as Z sales went, I imagine it'll be at least comparable to Strong World. I was lucky to get a ticket opening weekend (the second to last one for that showing [nothing like watching a theater-sized screen with your head at a 90 degree angle]).