Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you've already played the game before the act 3 fix, is it even worth it playing it again to see the changes?

I feel like I should but I still have old hardware and I don't really want to play through at 20fps on low again

Save it until you have a decent computer.

For reference: a 1 gig Radeon GTX 460 and an Athlon 3.2ghz triple core (pretty modest kit by gamer standards) is enough to get very high settings and good framerate at 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I just started this today, only an hour in but drat how did I never get into this series before now? I'm dying more than in Dark Souls though. About to restart and redo the tutorial.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Does the installer usually take forever? This is taking an insane amount of time, I've restarted once just in case. I'll leave it on for a few hours and hope it works. I downloaded through the GOG downloader if that helps.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Raneman posted:

Does the installer usually take forever? This is taking an insane amount of time, I've restarted once just in case. I'll leave it on for a few hours and hope it works. I downloaded through the GOG downloader if that helps.

How long is insane? Have you already downloaded it? The game is really big.
Check your activity monitor thing to verify the installer is actually doing something.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Spite posted:

How long is insane? Have you already downloaded it? The game is really big.
Check your activity monitor thing to verify the installer is actually doing something.

I restarted after like half an hour. I do have kind of a slow HDD and I never defrag so I guess this is where I pay for it.

EDIT: The progress bar on the windows UI moves while the GOG UI doesn't. I was almost close to finishing when I canceled I guess, I must be loving dumb.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Lords of the Fallen, the action RPG that Witcher 2's producer is making and CDProjekt is as far as I can tell releasing got its first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdlielLLhY

Seems like Dark Souls: Generic WOW-esque Art Edition.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Fortunately his vision of comically oversized combat gear didn't extend to Geralt's arms and armor.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
I'm nearly to the end of Chapter 1, up to the last boss fight. I am very disappointing with combat in this game, compared to the first. It's incredibly easy, even though I'm playing on Hard. So for the boss of this chapter, where as in the last game i'd brew 2 or 3 potions, to beat him I now have to make 30 grapeshot bombs. Why are potions so useless now, and why can I just hack and slash everything, except for the boss here and there that requires me to make a poo poo ton of lovely bombs for no reason? Why has the character customization not let me upgrade my signs or anything? Why is my old gear nearly useless? What the hell have they done to this game?

Please tell me it gets better. I don't think I've seen a single status effect outside of knocking people back with an aard and making them bleed, I almost never use anything but Aard or Igni.

EDIT: Also I'm going to have to check out that quest from Ves. Thanks OP.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 21, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Raneman posted:

I'm nearly to the end of Chapter 1, up to the last boss fight. I am very disappointing with combat in this game, compared to the first. It's incredibly easy, even though I'm playing on Hard.
What the? I know some people dont like the Witcher 2s combat but to say the WItcher 1 was better :wtc:? And I have no idea how you can praise the Witcher 1s combat and say the problem with the Witcher 2s is that its to easy (well it is easy but thats not the point) considering W1 was basically "press igni to win" after the first act. In the first game I could not drink any potions just increase my skills and still be a whirlwind of death, using potions transformed me from demigod to god, but why would I want to do that when I could ust drink a MAribor forest a Tawny Owl and then right click with igni to victory?

quote:

So for the boss of this chapter, where as in the last game i'd brew 2 or 3 potions, to beat him I now have to make 30 grapeshot bombs. Why are potions so useless now, and why can I just hack and slash everything, except for the boss here and there that requires me to make a poo poo ton of lovely bombs for no reason?
you dont need to make a crap ton of lovely (bombs rule btw) bombs to beat any of the bosses (though that is a way to cheese Letho)

Potions are pretty good but are lackluster if you dont specialize in Alchemy, CDprojeckt did kinda drop the ball by not pausing the timers when in conversations or cut-scenes.

quote:

Why has the character customization not let me upgrade my signs or anything? Why is my old gear nearly useless? What the hell have they done to this game?
YOu have to put a few points in the general "witcher training" tree before you can specialize. Old gear is useless for balance reasons, though you could get a mod that changes it.

quote:

Please tell me it gets better. I don't think I've seen a single status effect outside of knocking people back with an aard and making them bleed, I almost never use anything but Aard or Igni.

It gets better, also consider using Yrrden, its seriously the best thing and a good strategy to use on the boss you just fought rather than using bombs.

There was also a combat rebalance mod released that you may wanna check out too.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

SpRahl posted:

What the? I know some people dont like the Witcher 2s combat but to say the WItcher 1 was better :wtc:? And I have no idea how you can praise the Witcher 1s combat and say the problem with the Witcher 2s is that its too easy (well it is easy but thats not the point) considering W1 was basically "press igni to win" after the first act. In the first game I could not drink any potions just increase my skills and still be a whirlwind of death, using potions transformed me from demigod to god, but why would I want to do that when I could ust drink a MAribor forest a Tawny Owl and then right click with igni to victory?

The Witcher 1 is a much more challenging and interesting game if you strive to be drunk as often as possible. I'd try this strat for the Witcher 2 but I can't carry alchohol with me. Potion bases seem to have disappeared completely, and he doesn't use a fire anymore. How the hell does Geralt make this poo poo? Does he just smash herbs together until they're liquified and resembling a potion or what? He also appears to do it instantly with no time passing. I guess when you think of how he's making potions the wrong way it makes sense they're so impotent and last only like 5 minutes while also nearly killing him.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Raneman posted:

Why are potions so useless now
Because you haven't been using them right.

Hardest boss in the game there, oneshotted.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Asehujiko posted:

Because you haven't been using them right.

Hardest boss in the game there, oneshotted.

What potions are those? Every potion I can make removes most of my health, damage, or "vigor" while giving me loving nothing in return. You also appear to have not died from toxicity.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
If you are finding the only way you could beat letho is by throwing bombs at him you are probably approaching combat the wrong way in TW2.

Raneman posted:

The Witcher 1 is a much more challenging and interesting game if you strive to be drunk as often as possible.
I could be drunk all the time in the Witcher 1 but it still wouldnt increase the challenge since it doesnt stop me from spamming and one shotting things with igni, or hell if I did use potions I could still oneshot the final boss of the game.

quote:

Potion bases seem to have disappeared completely, and he doesn't use a fire anymore. How the hell does Geralt make this poo poo? Does he just smash herbs together until they're liquified and resembling a potion or what? He also appears to do it instantly with no time passing. I guess when you think of how he's making potions the wrong way it makes sense they're so impotent and last only like 5 minutes while also nearly killing him.
So your primary complaint with the game is they removed the tedium?

Raneman posted:

What potions are those? Every potion I can make removes most of my health, damage, or "vigor" while giving me loving nothing in return. You also appear to have not died from toxicity.
Perhaps you should find more recopies, much like how there are many different recipies you dont know from the start of the first witcher. Further Toxicity doesn't kill you in W2 it just represents the limit of how many potions you can have on at once, if toxicity is maxed it wont let you drink another potion.

Also again specializing in Alchemy can make you a beast.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Sadly I haven't found anything to let me specialize. I've bought most of the vendor's potions but they all seem to be along the lines of "+10% sign intensity in exchange for half your max health." I really have no use for most of them since it appears I can't upgrade my signs. I suppose I could drink a potion for "+10% sword damage" or whatever but that's pretty uneeded for most encounters, and downright pointless for the one I am in now. Maybe if there was a potion that'd blind me in one eye in exchange for throwing bombs faster or something I guess I'd have a use. What would you suggest? I'm considering maybe making the increased resistances one so he doesn't kill me with a lucky bomb or igni hit or whatever.

EDIT: Turns out it actually let me out of the tree but didn't give me a message or anything. Guess I can customize my character after all.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 22, 2013

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Letho can be beaten easily without cheesing if you watch and react to his attacks properly. The fight is much more fun this way as well.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Here is a bunch of advice people have had to say on that boss fight

quote:

Good news: You only need to get him down to half of his health and this fight will only be hard one time, we've all been there.

If you've got a sword build and enough stamina, just laying into him with light and heavy blows and a few shots of aard whenever his quen is down is a good tactic.

Placing yrdens to get him stuck doesn't work every time but is very effective when it does, since it means you can get behind him and strike at his back.

Bombs and traps alone or in combination is also a viable tactic.

If you go back a few pages in this thread there are many more advice on this fight. Stick with it!

quote:

Bombs never really worked well for me against Letho, so I stick to simple Yrden/Aard tactics.

Whenever his Quen is up, drop an Yrden and bait him. If it doesn't stun him, roll clear and try again. If it does stun him, position yourself at his back and wait for the Quen to drop, then wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks.

Whenever his Quen is down, do a quick side roll (to dodge a possible counter-Aard) and then immediately Aard. Roll toward him and, while he's getting up, wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks.

quote:

Most of the difficulty is from not entirely grasping combat in the game, trust me second time through the game Letho is a cakewalk. Really I like to think of the Letho fight as how all the other npcs feel when they fight Geralt.

Anyway in addition to what Capt Scandinavia said you can (or could they may have rebalanced it) stunlock Letho by spamming knives. Tossing bombs also works but not as well. Do not attack Letho when his quen is up as it wont do anything (aard and yrden are still effective) and do not try to block his attacks unless he is already swinging his sword as if you hold block he will just aard or igni you. If you get far away he will throw bombs which can gently caress you up if you dont dodge them so try to stay close to him.

Yrden is your best bet though, trap him then stab him in the back three times then eiher back off and repeat or circle dodge roll around him and stab him the the sides.

quote:

What what Letho does to you and copy it back. Yeah, he has some pretty bullshit Aards, but hey. Aard for a few hits of your sword. Roll like crazy. Quen when he Quens, then outlast his. Bombs, knives, whatever.

quote:

Wow, thanks for the advice guys, the fight was surprisingly more simple than I thought. I only had to keep using Aard to stun him and rolling sideways to dodge sword swipes and magic. I never let him cast his Quen once. What comes next? What comes next in this most glorious of games?

quote:

Letho, on the other hand, upfront seems like the kind of fight you're supposed to play and lose. After a bit of trial-and-error, something just clicks and the combat feels even more engaging than before. Multiple ways to go about it - for me it was as simple as upgrading the roll to 2x distance, then getting the timing of his signs down and always leaving room to evade.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Finally had time to finish this after buying it during the Steam summer sale, and it was mostly quite fun. I played on Hard and had to abuse autosave a few times because I suck, but it seemed like a good difficulty level through most of the game. For me, the game got weaker as it went on. Flotsam was great. I took Iorveth's path for Vergen and that area was neat, too. Loc Muinne fell off the rails for me. I didn't really understand entirely what was going on and I also didn't realize just how short that chapter was going to be. It just felt rushed.

Geralt is just a fun as hell character to play and now I'm quite excited for TW3. I had played through the original, but I wasn't terribly impressed by it, which is why I waited on this one.

I am a bit torn, though, between buying TW3 on release and stumbling through the crashes and bugs vs. waiting until they release the Enhanced Edition.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I didn't really understand entirely what was going on and I also didn't realize just how short that chapter was going to be. It just felt rushed.

Yeah 3rd chapter is definitely too short. However consider going through on Roches path, as the whole story really doesnt come together unless you experience both.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
I beat Letho. Hopefully next time I face a boss like that I'm more prepared. I'm actually really enjoying this game.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
There are no other bosses like that. Letho is peak hardness (except perhaps The Operator, but he's hidden and optional).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It can't be said often enough: If you haven't played both paths, you haven't finished the game.

Raneman posted:

I beat Letho. Hopefully next time I face a boss like that I'm more prepared. I'm actually really enjoying this game.

Your experience here was basically mine, except I started liking the game about an hour earlier than you did. I ended up loving it quite a bit more than the first game.

John McCain posted:

There are no other bosses like that. Letho is peak hardness (except perhaps The Operator, but he's hidden and optional).

I dunno. The Draug, while cool, was a bit bullshit in that if you lose the first time, he can attack you right after you reload your save with your sword not drawn.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

I dunno. The Draug, while cool, was a bit bullshit in that if you lose the first time, he can attack you right after you reload your save with your sword not drawn.

The standard bearer was harder than the Draug for me before I switched tactics to just riposting repeatedly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

John McCain posted:

(except perhaps The Operator, but he's hidden and optional).

The who?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Operator (spoilers in the link)

Hes found at the culmination of the "From a Bygone Era" quest which starts in chapter two by finding Malget's notes in his house.
In Roches path you have the option of selling them to Deathmold for cash but this ends the quest, so you need to hang on to them.
In Iorveths path the house is only accessible after you cross the mist, further unlike Roches path you have no real reason to go to it other than for the sake of exploration, so many people may just soilder through the main quest at that point and miss it.

Once in chapter three after doing some poo poo you meet the Operator and can either respec your talents or fight him.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress the devs were thinking with that. I'm not sure which cause is worse, that the devs designed the fight like that and actually thought it was good game design, or that it was a bug and somehow the devs have never patched it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SpRahl posted:

The Operator (spoilers in the link)

Hes found at the culmination of the "From a Bygone Era" quest which starts in chapter two by finding Malget's notes in his house.
In Roches path you have the option of selling them to Deathmold for cash but this ends the quest, so you need to hang on to them.
In Iorveths path the house is only accessible after you cross the mist, further unlike Roches path you have no real reason to go to it other than for the sake of exploration, so many people may just soilder through the main quest at that point and miss it.

Once in chapter three after doing some poo poo you meet the Operator and can either respec your talents or fight him.

Interesting, thanks. I did that quest when I did Roche's path and never finished my Iorveth's path game because a patch hosed my save....I will definitely have to check it out if I ever retry.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress the devs were thinking with that. I'm not sure which cause is worse, that the devs designed the fight like that and actually thought it was good game design, or that it was a bug and somehow the devs have never patched it.

On top of potions not working for the fight.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't remember being immediately hit by the Draug when reloading.
However, in 1.0 there wasn't a checkpoint at the Draug fight. If you died you had to redo the part where you play as Seltkirk (I think that was his name), and fight the standard bearer again. They patched in the checkpoint for the Draug, so if there is any reason its buggy, that would probably be why.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So...uh...just finished reading the books. I mean, you learn the ending of the books pretty much in the first game...but reading it...goddamn. Serious punch in the stomach and the series constantly had me in knots. :stare:

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Is the Dragon's fire breath attack in the boss battle undodgeable? I've never not been hit by it and drinking my +45% fire resist golden oriele doesn't seem to mitigate it at all. How am I supposed to ever beat this boss if they have an undodgeable attack that takes away 1/3 of my health?

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Just finished the game. I liked the story and all but the ending really seems more like a setup to TW3 than any sort of conclusion. Also, I didn't kill Letho. How will TW3 play out considering the ending basically appears to be "Nilfgaard fucks everyone over?"

Raneman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Raneman posted:

Just finished the game. I liked the story and all but the ending really seems more like a setup to TW3 than any sort of conclusion. Also, I didn't kill Letho. How will TW3 play out considering the ending basically appears to be "Nilfgaard fucks everyone over?"

Judging from the material released so far: Nilfgaard is loving everyone over. Go find Yennefer

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So I thought a bit about what my choices might mean for TW3:

Redania is now the superpower in the North. Siegfried and Roche now both serve Radovid, and both owe me since I helped them during the past 2 games. Radovid himself owes me since I saved Adda, who he married soon after, and saved Anais. I've got a lot of powerful friends in Redania. I'm thinking once TW3 starts, when I'm in Redania I won't be feeling too much pressure from its government. Add onto that all of the former Temerian poltical figures who now serve Radovid, and it looks like I'm going to not have much trouble in the western half of the Northern Kingdoms. All of my troubles are going to come from those loving NILFGAARDIANS :argh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you ungrateful barbarians implying that the Northern Kingdoms wouldn't be better off in the unifying and civilized hands of Emhyr var Emreis?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Why do so many people hand Anais off to Radovid rather than allowing her to become a badass queen with John Natalis?

The Sharmat posted:

Are you ungrateful barbarians implying that the Northern Kingdoms wouldn't be better off in the unifying and civilized hands of Emhyr var Emreis?

But isnt profligacy a punishable offense in Nilfgaard :ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm looking forward to the Geralt - Emperor romance. Oh wait, this ain't no Bioware :smith:

But seriously, I never saw Nilfgaard as any worse than the native aristocracy. I mean, they accomplished their contests through a series of bloody battles, but that doesn't make them any worse than Northern rulers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpRahl posted:

Why do so many people hand Anais off to Radovid rather than allowing her to become a badass queen with John Natalis?

Arguably propping up Temeria's corpse is worse for the unity of the North than having Redaynia and Temeria united in a personal union. If you care about politics. Which you shouldn't.

Also Radovid is objectively the Raddest King.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I'm looking forward to the Geralt - Emperor romance. Oh wait, this ain't no Bioware :smith:

But seriously, I never saw Nilfgaard as any worse than the native aristocracy. I mean, they accomplished their contests through a series of bloody battles, but that doesn't make them any worse than Northern rulers.
Foltest automatically makes the North better :colbert: shame hes dead though :(.
Edit:its funny but I really like Foltest's character even though hes in both games for like the total of a hour or two.

They are worse in the sense they have the power to back up their shittyness, also Demavend (not really seen in the game though) and Henselt are probably the worst of the Northern Monarchs there are a few which are not depicted in the game who are not as terrible. Theres also the fact the war they are causing will likely make things worse than the status quo for the common folk not only the established aristocracy. As for Geralt himself Nilfgaard kinda sucks because in theory Nilfgaardians have a poorer view of Witchers than the Northern Kingdoms although in the end both will employ them when they are needed and then persecute them the rest of the time in addition they have a thing agaisnt sorceresses which is a problem because Geralt has a thing for sorceresses :dance:. And the fact the Emperor is basically a madman.

The Sharmat posted:

Arguably propping up Temeria's corpse is worse for the unity of the North than having Redaynia and Temeria united in a personal union. If you care about politics. Which you shouldn't.

Also Radovid is objectively the Raddest King.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Radovid is more involved then he appears to be in recent events.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 24, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, Radovid is Machiavellian as gently caress.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

SpRahl posted:

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Radovid is more involved then he appears to be in recent events.
This is an interesting point, he really seems to have come out on top. I never really saw him as a bad guy, though, personally. Although the situation you meet him under in TW1 is a bit... awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I dunno. Radovid isn't a nice man. At Loc Muinn it seems pretty clear that he was just waiting for an excuse to kill as many sorceresses as possible. I get WHY he has issues with them given his childhood, but still.

• Locked thread