Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Yeah I was pretty surprised that it was flat out impossible to change your government type, so I made a small mod yesterday that lets you switch between monarchies and republics via decision. It seems to work pretty well, so I don't know why you couldn't do it begin with.

Speaking of which, is it intentional that you can't switch out of a merchant republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Can you change governments via letting rebels take over? I haven't loaded up EU4 yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ChrisAsmadi posted:

-Colonial Rebellions are far, far too weak.

Nothing that removing a few closing brackets won't fix :unsmigghh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Can you change governments via letting rebels take over? I haven't loaded up EU4 yet.

Yes, a Peasant revolt that breaks a monarchy can possibly install a Noble Republic.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wrong Paradox thread.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 20, 2013

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What the heck is an Ambrosian Republic anyways?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

What the heck is an Ambrosian Republic anyways?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ambrosian_Republic

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It would be nice if the monarch points were tweaked slightly so a good king wasn't as extreme. The difference between a 1 and 6 point admin ruler is a rather massive doubling of the point income.

I'd increase the base income by 2, and change monarchs to grant half of their values (rounded up if .5's would be an issue). That way monarchs still matter, but not to the point of loving you completely/activate ezmode with dicerolls. Either that, or some kind of system to allow you to at least try to improve your heir with education or something.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Having some sort of tradition-like value that influenced the quality of your rulers would be nice. (Have it key off Legitimacy/Republic Tradition? Spend legitimacy to fudge your inheritance into more capable hands, or RT to rig an election?)

Most of the other random elements in the game give the players ways to invest their various resources into turning the odds in their favour, but ruler attributes in EU have stayed up in the air. The ruler-point income from advisers is a step in the right direction, letting you use piles of gold to mitigate a lousy ruler's impact, but those only go so far.

Maybe if some of the unique buildings generated a point of the appropriate power? Those tend to cost decades of income as they are, and have a hard cap on their numbers, so they'd an investment on the order of the lifetime cost of a good adviser for a smaller but more dependable supply of ruler-points.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really don't think it's that bad, the balance for admin points seems pretty good to me. You're supposed to be short most of the time, because it forces you to make hard choices and work around your limitations. A good king is a bonus, not business as usual. The current balance problem isn't the lack of admin points, it's that there are too many dip/mil (especially mil) points.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There is never enough diplo points as a trading nation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find the fact that you are always behind in your chosen specialty not a good overall design. If you're going merchant then you'll be wanting to have high naval tech, trade ideas, and trade buildings, but those all come out of the same pool, which makes specializing results counter-intuitive. A merchant nation should nationally be top in merchant related things, not falling behind.

If dip related buildings gave a tiny boost to dip points it might help. Or if the tech system was totally gutted, leaving the points for buildings and ideas. I like the idea of these points but I'm not liking the results.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Baronjutter posted:

I find the fact that you are always behind in your chosen specialty not a good overall design. If you're going merchant then you'll be wanting to have high naval tech, trade ideas, and trade buildings, but those all come out of the same pool, which makes specializing results counter-intuitive. A merchant nation should nationally be top in merchant related things, not falling behind.

If dip related buildings gave a tiny boost to dip points it might help. Or if the tech system was totally gutted, leaving the points for buildings and ideas. I like the idea of these points but I'm not liking the results.

I tend to make investments into ideas something I do only when I am already ahead in that tech and I need to wait several years for the penalties to drop. Ideas go up incredibly slowly and the double weakness is really weird. Maybe if ideas were cheaper? The nations with 10% cheaper ideas are usually way better because of this, saving ~ 2200 points.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm fine with the trade off with falling behind globally on diplo techs if I have a bunch of diplo ideas. There is no way some land power in Germany is a better trader or naval power than me just because they're ahead three diplo tech of me, allowing them a better version of gallery and +50 colonial range, while I have maxed out trade and naval ideas. Being tech leader only matters for military. You're just wrong saying you fall behind specializing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It would be nice if the monarch points were tweaked slightly so a good king wasn't as extreme. The difference between a 1 and 6 point admin ruler is a rather massive doubling of the point income.

I'd increase the base income by 2, and change monarchs to grant half of their values (rounded up if .5's would be an issue). That way monarchs still matter, but not to the point of loving you completely/activate ezmode with dicerolls. Either that, or some kind of system to allow you to at least try to improve your heir with education or something.
While I don't really mind the current system (so far at least), one suggestion I think might be worthy of being revived would be the one where more constitutional government are less ruler dependent. Basically, from Feudal Monarchy you would have the choice of either going increasingly constitutional, or absolute. Absolute Monarchies would work like they do now, while Constitutional Monarchies would have a tighter stat spread. I would probably add an additional level of constitutional monarchy, and perhaps move the other one up a bit, so you could start going down that path a bit earlier. Something like this would be what I was thinking:

Feudal/Despotic/Absolute Monarchy Stat Spread: 0-6
Early Constitutional Monarchy Stat Spread: 1-5
Constitutional Monarchy Stat Spread: 2-4

On average they would all be balanced, but CM's would be much more consistent and dependable than AM's, which some people seem to prefer. Being more dependable should come at a cost though, so the bonuses for the Absolute Monarchies should probably be better. Not sure if it's possible to change ruler stats on the go, but adding a modifier to Power generation seems like something that should be possible, plus it also prevents having to check if certain events/decisions require a 5+ ruler. (In which case CM's would be hosed.) Would people be interested in a mod that did this? I've been thinking of making a mod that adds different levels of government anyway (counties/duchies/kingdoms/empires), so this would fit right in. Anything else in the same category that people think should be changed?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Instead of just a tighter spread, I personally would rather see the more advanced governments provide point bonuses, to represent the power of congress/parliament. Ie, maybe constitional monarchy could give +1 to all points, or something along those lines.

Of course, the argument against this is that any power congress gets is from the monarch, so zero sum game, so maybe that in combination with a tighter distribution?

Edit: I guess its all the same end result, so I guess that doesn't help. Although having a strong legislative branch seems like it should make up for a weak leader. Too bad you can't roll stats for both sides.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 20, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, it might be cool if the Constitutional, and maybe even Administrative to a lesser degree, had influences from a Parliament, which would elect every 4-5 years, normally give a small boost, and occasionally decide to just be obstinate as poo poo, generally getting in your way, and maybe giving way to civil war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Palleon posted:

Instead of just a tighter spread, I personally would rather see the more advanced governments provide point bonuses, to represent the power of congress/parliament. Ie, maybe constitional monarchy could give +1 to all points, or something along those lines.

Of course, the argument against this is that any power congress gets is from the monarch, so zero sum game, so maybe that in combination with a tighter distribution?
Absolute Monarchies are plenty advanced. :colbert: But really, why should congress/parliament simply provide bonuses? Sure, when you have a bad king they can curb his excesses, but when you have a great one? They're likely to be weary of anything he does, as they might fear him taking over the state and making them irrelevant. Thus the penalty against great kings. Plus you know, making Absolute Monarchy a viable choice, which it really should be given how few Constitutional Monarchies existed at the end of the game.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, it might be cool if the Constitutional, and maybe even Administrative to a lesser degree, had influences from a Parliament, which would elect every 4-5 years, normally give a small boost, and occasionally decide to just be obstinate as poo poo, generally getting in your way, and maybe giving way to civil war.
Administrative Monarchy would probably be where the general direction of the country* would be decided in my mod, with events and decisions pushing the country either towards Absolute Monarchy or Constitutional Monarchy. Makes more sense to me to have it be something that results from the players own actions, and as long as the gameplay effects are clear enough it might be a bit more interesting than just selecting a new government type based on it being slightly better modifier wise. I guess both of them might get a superior version later in the game, representing further entrenchment of the type of government the country has adopted. (Enlightenment Absolutism vs. Parliamentary Monarchy?) Perhaps both of these government types would get significant bonuses, but the downside would be that if you don't live up to the Enlightenment ideals you might be in for some real trouble.

*Though obviously with the option of trying to shift unto the other one, even if it gets harder the further along either track you are.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 20, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Palleon posted:

Edit: I guess its all the same end result, so I guess that doesn't help. Although having a strong legislative branch seems like it should make up for a weak leader. Too bad you can't roll stats for both sides.

For Constitutional Monarchies, make it a 5 point base for monarch points, half the effect monarch stats have (rounding down). You'd have the tradeoff of making it so the most you can get in a category is 8 instead of 9, with it being much harder to get to 8 (monarch stat of 4 or 5 giving only a 2 point boost for 7 total), while making lovely kings not a big deal at all. This is an idea I just came up with right now and put no real thought into it, so it's probably a terrible idea.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As long as the price of changing governments was a bit steeper you might be able to do something interesting like have a constitutional republic give +1A, +1D, -2M, or an absolute monarchy give +1A, -2D, +1M, or things like that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mission to fabricate a claim on a province is impossible to complete if you take the province without a justification in a war prior to completing the mission.

Also where do you find info on badboy now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The mission to fabricate a claim on a province is impossible to complete if you take the province without a justification in a war prior to completing the mission.

Also where do you find info on badboy now?

There is no badboy/infamy anymore. Instead every country gets an "aggressive expansion" relations penalty against you every time you conquer non-core territory (or force-vassalize other countries). The AE penalty each country gets against you is different based on their geographical location compared to you and the conquered territory as well as a few other factors (religion, culture I think, whether or not you're both in the HRE, etc). When you're conquering territory, you can see how many Aggressive Expansion points it will generate in the bottom left of the peace screen. This isn't an amount you accrue over time, it's instead the base relations penalty, and if you hover over it you can see which nations will be affected by it and the final penalty after modifiers are added. Since this is a relations modifier, going on wanton conquests can ruin your relationships with your neighbors, and if the penalty gets high enough they become outraged and can form coalitions against you. And also because it's a relations modifier, it can be completely mitigated by buttering them up enough. It's a much more fluid and dynamic system than badboy and way more interesting to work around, in my opinion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There is no badboy/infamy anymore. Instead every country gets an "aggressive expansion" relations penalty against you every time you conquer non-core territory (or force-vassalize other countries). The AE penalty each country gets against you is different based on their geographical location compared to you and the conquered territory as well as a few other factors (religion, culture I think, whether or not you're both in the HRE, etc). When you're conquering territory, you can see how many Aggressive Expansion points it will generate in the bottom left of the peace screen. This isn't an amount you accrue over time, it's instead the base relations penalty, and if you hover over it you can see which nations will be affected by it and the final penalty after modifiers are added. Since this is a relations modifier, going on wanton conquests can ruin your relationships with your neighbors, and if the penalty gets high enough they become outraged and can form coalitions against you. And also because it's a relations modifier, it can be completely mitigated by buttering them up enough. It's a much more fluid and dynamic system than badboy and way more interesting to work around, in my opinion.

What is the breakpoint for giving away/gaining the Dishonorable Scum CB?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

uPen posted:

What is the breakpoint for giving away/gaining the Dishonorable Scum CB?

I think anyone who gains the outraged status with anyone else can get the Dishonorable Scum CB against them, but it's possible for a country to have really high AE against you and still like you because you've been improving relations and maintaining an alliance and RM and all that, so they don't get outraged or the CB. I am not sure at what point specifically the outraged status happens.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, posted in the EU4 thread, but crossposting to ask some obvious queries.

StealthArcher posted:

EDIT: Chances are the paid accounts thing will become a government form, and it'll switch to it and give a discipline boost/manpower malus instead.

That being, I'm thinking of actually going through with this.

Would anyone actually play it if I put enough lovely sites in as neighbours (think Reddit as the new Japan, all the subs and their leader maybe) and an interesting enough world to goon-conquer?

The real questions here I guess would be who would be the new Papacy and HRE, so many uses for all these systems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The new HRE should obviously be Something Awful (with it still being a formable country through the reforms) with the different member states being the various subforums.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The new HRE should obviously be Something Awful (with it still being a formable country through the reforms) with the different member states being the various subforums.

Someone suggested Tumblr for the HRE and Google as the Papacy. Which kind of makes sense anyway. Something Awful at least has some unity that puts it one up on the HRE. (Don't think I'm not fun enough to not to put a Something Sensitive nation that can revolt out of SA)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I can easily see 4chan being the HRE. All of the countries vying for moot to give them more care and attention. At least I can easily imagine all of the countries within it more than I could Tumblr.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think a Horde nation would be the most appropriate for Tumblr.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I can easily see 4chan being the HRE. All of the countries vying for moot to give them more care and attention. At least I can easily imagine all of the countries within it more than I could Tumblr.
Actually, that... really works. I can actually picture the individual countries and the reforms that would exist.

The Narrator posted:

I think a Horde nation would be the most appropriate for Tumblr.

Heh, that's fitting, just who should they border?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
HRE for tumblr because it's a popularity contest, and I think 4chan would be offended at being portrayed as anything else than an all-consuming wild horde.

New World nations are in the Geocities tech group.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Pros and cons of Japan.

Pros: it's a fantastic tutorial island. It basically plays as a miniature version of EU4, with a smaller map, fewer countries, fewer things to worry about. Playing up to the unification of Japan would be a really great introduction to the game without overwhelming players, I think.

Cons: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the catholics

gently caress them

gently caress

gently caress

god drat loving-

I'm posting this two minutes after 150k catholics broke the country, which had the result of leaving the country shinto (with 50% catholic provinces, now!), but cancelling the westernization that I'd somehow gotten 75% of the way through.

gently caress Westernization and gently caress the awful Catholic-spawner events.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

PleasingFungus posted:

Pros and cons of Japan.

Pros: it's a fantastic tutorial island. It basically plays as a miniature version of EU4, with a smaller map, fewer countries, fewer things to worry about. Playing up to the unification of Japan would be a really great introduction to the game without overwhelming players, I think.

Cons: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the catholics

gently caress them

gently caress

gently caress

god drat loving-

I'm posting this two minutes after 150k catholics broke the country, which had the result of leaving the country shinto (with 50% catholic provinces, now!), but cancelling the westernization that I'd somehow gotten 75% of the way through.

gently caress Westernization and gently caress the awful Catholic-spawner events.

On the other hand, Japanese Popes are now a thing, along with Aztec, Korean and Iroquois. Which is kinda great.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Guildencrantz posted:

HRE for tumblr because it's a popularity contest, and I think 4chan would be offended at being portrayed as anything else than an all-consuming wild horde.

New World nations are in the Geocities tech group.

The Byzantine Empire can be MyspaceFacebook while the Ottomans are Twitter!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Is there a penalty to going Catholic? Apart from everyone hating you, that is? Will the Ashikaga get a CB on you to restore religious unity?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Does this mean the DA nation will have Advisor Quality and Tolerance bonuses at the cost of higher Revolt Risk (Original OCs, do not steal) and Diplomatic penalties?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Does this mean the DA nation will have Advisor Quality and Tolerance bonuses at the cost of higher Revolt Risk (Original OCs, do not steal) and Diplomatic penalties?

Along with r/Jailbait existing and being a complete pain in the rear end to all of reddit and giving SA a Scumbag CB on it come the appropriate time (our 5th national idea). They get even harsher Diplo. Rep. penalties then we do, and their main strengths wind up being attritional as all gently caress, harder to core then Hungary, and with manpower that makes Russia look like Switzerland. They can, with other lovely reddits (MRA, Atheism, etc.) unite and form Ruddit, and wipe Reddit off the map. R/SRS can gain the goon culture and tech group through decisions later on.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

So hey, posted in the EU4 thread, but crossposting to ask some obvious queries.

That being, I'm thinking of actually going through with this.

Would anyone actually play it if I put enough lovely sites in as neighbours (think Reddit as the new Japan, all the subs and their leader maybe) and an interesting enough world to goon-conquer?

The real questions here I guess would be who would be the new Papacy and HRE, so many uses for all these systems.

This would be incredibly awesome. Conflicts between internet websites are infinitely more interesting than hundreds of years of world history.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

This would be incredibly awesome. Conflicts between internet websites are infinitely more interesting than hundreds of years of world history.

I

I don't.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

I

I don't.

What?

I think he was being sarcastic- but since it got you to post that gif, I don't really care.

• Locked thread