Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nth Doctor posted:

You've obviously never seen Hudson Hawk.

did you mean Hackers? I think you meant Hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Two words: Johnny Mnemonic.

HE'S GONNA USE HIS CONNECTIONS ON THE NET! NARROW THE BANDWIDTH!!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did somebody say 90's shareware games?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

<-----

This game pretty much defines the 90's for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Radio Help posted:

<-----

This game pretty much defines the 90's for me.

Oh man, did you back the Chuck's Challenge Kickstarter? It's a sequel to Chip's Challenge made by the original creator.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be pretty big into Star Wars and I used to be into PC games, and when the hype for Episode I was in full-swing, I played (but didn't get very far because I was rubbish) Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

Recently, I came across the cutscenes on YouTube, in all their cheesy late-nineties glory.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

oldpainless posted:

did you mean Hackers? I think you meant Hackers.

Hackers owns. I work "Hacking the Gibson" into casual conversation all the time. :colbert:

Metal Loaf posted:

I used to be pretty big into Star Wars and I used to be into PC games, and when the hype for Episode I was in full-swing, I played (but didn't get very far because I was rubbish) Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

Recently, I came across the cutscenes on YouTube, in all their cheesy late-nineties glory.

I played that game for a goddamned decade.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Jedi Knight is probably the defining game for me as a gamer. I always miss the freedom of movement that games used to give us, like injuring yourself from force running too fast into a wall or force jumping into a ceiling. The game seems to be made for speed running too.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Colour posted:

Hugo's House of Horrors

Oh god, the horrors … The horrors are all coming back to me!

That bloody game. For years my dad and I could never figure out how to get into the house, so we just said gently caress it and gave it all up. Then I was cleaning out his old 486 10 years after, and found the floppy with parts of the game on. Found it on some abandoned :filez: site and finally managed to beat it. I still don't like it, though. Even if its years ago.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Pope Guilty posted:

Wow, I was just thinking about this game the other day and couldn't think of the title. The version I had was on a CD-ROM collection called Amazing Mazes or something like that. I used to play Castle of the Winds and Quenzar's Cavern all the drat time. Those were some rad games!

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Datasmurf posted:

Oh god, the horrors … The horrors are all coming back to me!

That bloody game. For years my dad and I could never figure out how to get into the house, so we just said gently caress it and gave it all up. Then I was cleaning out his old 486 10 years after, and found the floppy with parts of the game on. Found it on some abandoned :filez: site and finally managed to beat it. I still don't like it, though. Even if its years ago.

>smash pumpkin ?

CanceledTVShow
Mar 29, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's something else that was a big deal at my school for about a year before Pokémon showed up.

Anyone remember Pro-Yo? They had TV adverts and everything.

This trend happened in my sixth grade year. I had fun with them and the cats also loved those stupid things because I'd find my Yo-Yos out on the kitchen floor the next morning.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Anyone remember Pro-Yo?

Yep, Pro-Yo was massive in my school, pretty much every lunch break all the kids were out on the playground playing with them. And if you didn't have a Pro-Yo® you were nothing.

Then after a while Pro-Yo's went out of fashion and the yoyo to have was the X-Brain because it had more bearings or something so that made it better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

Then after a while Pro-Yo's went out of fashion and the yoyo to have was the X-Brain because it had more bearings or something so that made it better.

I'm pretty sure I had one of those, but by that time the craze had blown over (in fact, I'm pretty sure even Pokémon had blown over by then).

Pro-Yos and Pokémon are really the only two big crazes I can remember that everyone was into. I suppose there was Dragon Ball Z, but only boys liked that in my school.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BobFossil posted:

>smash pumpkin ?

Best DooM cheat code: idspispopd (id smashing pumpkins into small piles of putrid debris.)

Slightly related, whoever made MDK claimed it didn't stand for Murder Death Kill but rather Massive Dollops of Ketchup.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

syscall girl posted:

Slightly related, whoever made MDK claimed it didn't stand for Murder Death Kill but rather Massive Dollops of Ketchup.

Or "Mission: Deliver Kindness", or "Mother's Day Kisses", or "Max, Doc and Kurt" ( after claiming Max was Bones' real name) or, or...

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
For some reason I still remember "rosebud !;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!".

Also, I submitted the first cheat code listed here back in late '99, when cheats.ign used to be called Gamesages. I was 12 at the time. Totally insignificant poo poo, but it's easily the oldest thing I put on the internet that I can find which makes it e/n crazy.

I miss the old cheat code websites.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Aug 19, 2013

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Castle of the Winds! I loved that game as a kid. I remember finding out that for some reason you could rename items (which didn't actually affect their stats or anything), so I renamed all my stuff "armour of invincibility" and "ultimate sword of godliness" and so on and then showed my little brother and dad and amazed them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Pope Guilty posted:

My buddy had this and we would play it all the time. We figured the goal was to get as much money as possible, so we would sell all of our starting gear and head into the castle with just a club and no armor.

We weren't very good at video games when we were 7. :saddowns:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure I had one of those, but by that time the craze had blown over (in fact, I'm pretty sure even Pokémon had blown over by then).

Pro-Yos and Pokémon are really the only two big crazes I can remember that everyone was into. I suppose there was Dragon Ball Z, but only boys liked that in my school.

None of these in your neck of the woods?

Or these? (More of a boy thing I guess)

My school just latched onto every single craze going I think.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Did anyone ever get any good at doing... well.... anything with Tech Decks?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Croccers posted:

No.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-ij_eZI3U

It was like this. Going so well... but on one of the sick drops into the pipe he... he just lost his nerve and then man you'd think a squirrel could survive a fall like a mofo but this one time... I burnt the only copy of the VHS and not like you kids these days burn a compact disc with your computer machines. On a pyre, with his little body. So still.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

i am tim! posted:

Pro-Yo? No, but in our middle school the yo-yo of choice during that craze was Yomega.

Which was also 90's as poo poo. I never had the brain myself; I kept a fireball. I always thought the brains were cheating. :colbert:

Oh god yes. Had a fireball myself and the brains were totally cheating. Could spin that sucker for 30 seconds when properly oiled :smug:

Its funny though as im Australian and im sure the fad you experienced was in America and probably around the same time as well.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Nutsngum posted:

Oh god yes. Had a fireball myself and the brains were totally cheating. Could spin that sucker for 30 seconds when properly oiled :smug:

Its funny though as im Australian and im sure the fad you experienced was in America and probably around the same time as well.

Um excuse me but Butterfly or nothing :colbert:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The proyo was a decent little yo-yo I had a few at the time, not a fan of those brain yo-yo's though I still break out my old turbo bumble bee (like a proyo but has a ball bearing axle) from time to time I still wish I had my Viper though that was the king of the butterfly yo-yo.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
When I was in fifth grade, our final science section was about yo-yos for whatever reason. Nothing really educational, no in-depth look at physics or anything, just learning to do basic tricks with Duncan yo-yos like this:

Probably just to blow off steam since it was the end of the year and we were just excited for summer and becoming middle schoolers. Anyways, at the time my Boston terrier puppy was still under a year old and found mine on the floor one day. He chewed the nice soft plastic up and I bawled my eyes out until my parents drove me to Walmart and bought me a replacement since NOOOOO I'll fail out of school if I don't have a yo-yo!! That was the only time my dog ever ate my homework, but he's fourteen now so I've long since forgiven him. :3:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
TMNT Pizza Crunchabungas. I had forgotten about them until this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk33tGuBKwc

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
ooohh memories. Yeah that's the exact one I had.

Nutsngum posted:

Out of curiosity did you fad kick in around 1993? The main fads I recall around that time were basketball cards (the novelty was something in Australia) and following yoyos there was a huge marbles craze that only ended after broken windows and teachers twisting ankles in pits.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

WebDog posted:

Me, too. I distinctly remember my obnoxiously-long middle-schooler rants about how Brains were for people who didn't want to actually learn how to yoyo and returning isn't even that hard and bluh bluh bluh.

Not quite a 90's thing, but I still dick around with Astrojax every now and then. All the kinetic enjoyment of yoyos but with absolutely none of the widespread nostalgic respect. Nobody is going to be impressed if you can do rad poo poo with astrojax.

edit: Duncan sells a $109 yoyo.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Aug 20, 2013

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

WebDog posted:

Out of curiosity did you fad kick in around 1993? The main fads I recall around that time were basketball cards (the novelty was something in Australia) and following yoyos there was a huge marbles craze that only ended after broken windows and teachers twisting ankles in pits.

As far as I recall the 90s yoyo fad hit Adelaide in 1997/1998. Every recess we'd have yoyo challenges in the sandpit. It was Moose brand or nothing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

Tamagotchi were never really huge were I live, at least as far as I can recall (this might be myopia on my part; I wasn't really into them so they probably don't seem as big to me as they were).

However, I recall owning a FIFA World Cup 1998 themed one, where the creature you had to maintain was the chicken-like creature they were using as a mascot.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Frankston posted:

Or these? (More of a boy thing I guess)

My school just latched onto every single craze going I think.

Fuckin' Tomagatchis. Everybody had one, and I got a cool T. rex one that was probably tied in with Jurassic Park 2 or something, but I dropped it too many times so it would randomly commit suicide and I'd have to start over for no reason. It was heart breaking. :(

I think my step brother had a Tech Deck once, but I never remember those getting very big.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I'm not sure if this still exists in the era of digital cable, but in my mind this is an iconic 90's thing.

The Prevue Channel (and later TV Guide Channel.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That kind of thing's certainly a standard feature on Sky Digital, but I don't know about America.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Companies that still offer basic SD cable through a coaxial without a set-top box still seem have it. Rogers still has it in my area, for example.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It's still around even on big cable providers like Comcast, but rather than being like channel 3 or something low numbered where people might see it (And back in the day, use it regularly), it's buried at channel 177 (For me in South Florida at least) and mainly shows reruns of shows like Cheers and Who's The Boss with two small bars showing the guide at the bottom.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Companies that still offer basic SD cable through a coaxial without a set-top box still seem have it. Rogers still has it in my area, for example.

The only time I've seen it in the past several years is when I had to stay in cheap motel rooms for work.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

pastor of muppets posted:

I'm not sure if this still exists in the era of digital cable, but in my mind this is an iconic 90's thing.

The Prevue Channel (and later TV Guide Channel.)

It certainly still exists, but on most of them the video area is around 50% bigger than it is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I haven't had a cable TV hookup in like 7 years but the TV Guide channel is probably unruly as hell these days with hundreds of channels being available. BACK IN MY DAY you could watch the TV Guide/Prevue channel and see all the listings in 5 minutes.

• Locked thread