Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kthegreat posted:

So, the last time I read Bleach was at the start of the Fullbringer arc. I stopped reading it because it just really felt like Bleach had ended after the Aizen arc and this thing that took its place was a whole new manga wearing the hollowed out skin of Bleach. I realize this is only my opinion and recognize that some people would probably think the exact opposite. My question is did the manga improve in quality after that point? Because if so, then I think I could get the motivation to restart it and read up to the current point. If not, then I'll just put it out of mind once again.

The Fullbring arc was so bad that it literally got the series canceled.

But this arc has been pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

The Fullbring arc was so bad that it literally got the series canceled.

But this arc has been pretty good so far.

Uh, no it wasn't? It was announced to be cancelled at the beginning of the fullbring arc I'm pretty sure.

Also shows like Beelzebub got canned around the same time and Beelzebub owns.

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 3, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I didn't hear anything about Bleach ending until after the Fullbring arc ended, but then I was still watching only the anime at that point so I could have missed some other news.
*edit*
I just got around to starting the Beelzebub anime relatively recently, why did it get canned? I just assumed it caught up with the manga and that there would be more later. :(
Was there some kind of mass purge of various things?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Kild posted:

Uh, no it wasn't? It was announced to be cancelled at the beginning of the fullbring arc I'm pretty sure.

No, it was well into the Fullbring arc on the anime before it got cancelled for Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth, for pretty much the reasons that everyone expected.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kild posted:

Also shows like Beelzebub got canned around the same time and Beelzebub owns.

I was talking about the manga, not the anime. During the fullbring arc it sank like a rock to the bottom of weekly rankings. That's why he finished it up in such a hurry and started this FINAL ARC.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think he meant the series as in the manga. It's not been cancelled, but it did announce the final arc right after and the ratings dropped pretty bad during it.

But I really, really want this arc to be animated without filler eventually. Kenpachi and Unohana fighting will be pretty awesome if it is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

I was talking about the manga, not the anime. During the fullbring arc it sank like a rock to the bottom of weekly rankings. That's why he finished it up in such a hurry and started this FINAL ARC.

Uh he announced he'd do a mini arc and a big final arc right after Aizen was beaten. So I'm still not sure where you are getting your information from.

e: Even before that

quote:

Arrancar arc to end by next mid-year (June 2010).

A short arc will follow.

After that, a new arc will begin.

Arrancar arc has been going on for 4 years.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 3, 2013

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

SerSpook posted:

Pretty much this, though some might disagree. If you don't want to read the Fullbring stuff then skip to chapter 480 or so. Should be obvious by chapter name.

I'd read just far enough that you meet Riruka and whatever Ramen Aizen's real name was and get reveals of Yukio's powers and see Orihime's one powerup demonstrated, since up to that point it was kind of early Bleach nostalgia. It went downhill incredibly fast, though, the rest isn't worth reading. Maybe the Kenpachi fight I guess, since it gave us that loving BORING panel. Rukia's fight was kinda funny too. That's it, though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

mr. stefan posted:

I actually would not be surprised in the least if it turns out after all this time that Kenpachi has a pure healing type zanpakutou. It would be so, so Kubo.

If by healing you mean trepanation.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Didn't the arrancar arc run from like 2005 to late 2011? Almost 6 years? Chapter 171 to 423? 252 chapters.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 5, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008
All that buildup to have the captains simply sweep the Espada in a series of drawn out battles, only to get poo poo on by Aizen and then have Ichigo save the day.

It's kind of like the buildup of the fullbringers only to have the Shinigami appear and wipe them all out.

gently caress.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fullbringers really weren't built up. They were known to be pretty weak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kild posted:

Fullbringers really weren't built up. They were known to be pretty weak.

Tsukishima was, but his power was kinda dumb anyway. Oh well, looks like only the most overtly villainous fullbringers are coming back as allies. Tsukishima loved to mindfuck people, I think the butler was a serial killer or some poo poo, and Ginjou enjoyed ramen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Tsukishima was, but his power was kinda dumb anyway. Oh well, looks like only the most overtly villainous fullbringers are coming back as allies. Tsukishima loved to mindfuck people, I think the butler was a serial killer or some poo poo, and Ginjou enjoyed ramen.

The loving BORING butler killed his wife because his watch told him to, iirc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

The loving BORING butler killed his wife because his watch told him to, iirc.

No he just wished upon his watch for his wife to die then cried about it after it happened and lost his eyeball.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kild posted:

No he just wished upon his watch for his wife to die then cried about it after it happened and lost his eyeball.

His power's drawback was that there are no "take backsies"

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Really that butler had the least sensical powers in the bunch. Apparently the watch passed down from his grandfathers has the power of god or something because of how his family values time and money and this lets him kill remotely but maybe not people strong enough to resist it? And maybe not at all after he regrets killing his wife and it turns on him so maybe it won't listen to him anymore? But was his whole family fullbringers or were they just superstitious about the watch until he actually gave it power by being a fullbringer?

gently caress I really really wanted to like that arc ever since Ginjou changed his medallion into a sword and the powers had cool song title names and they were just regular people with hollowish powers but then they weren't because Tsukishima lived for like ten minutes after having his chest cavity blown clean through and Riruka just got chumped in the worst way possible and ugh

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Advice posted:

Really that butler had the least sensical powers in the bunch. Apparently the watch passed down from his grandfathers has the power of god or something because of how his family values time and money and this lets him kill remotely but maybe not people strong enough to resist it? And maybe not at all after he regrets killing his wife and it turns on him so maybe it won't listen to him anymore? But was his whole family fullbringers or were they just superstitious about the watch until he actually gave it power by being a fullbringer?

gently caress I really really wanted to like that arc ever since Ginjou changed his medallion into a sword and the powers had cool song title names and they were just regular people with hollowish powers but then they weren't because Tsukishima lived for like ten minutes after having his chest cavity blown clean through and Riruka just got chumped in the worst way possible and ugh

The power wasn't the power to kill. It was the power to enact a contract that had its power based on the simplicity of the terms. The more complex the terms, the less powerful it was.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
But was "power" relative to the power of the person you were trying to use it against? He killed his wife with barely a side thought but I guess I can believe she was just a normie and he couldn't use it against someone like a Captain.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Presumably. Sufficient power pretty much trumps special ability, as seen when Aizen shrugged off Soi-Fon's two-hit sure-kill attack.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Kenpachi was pretty accurate about this, honestly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Hey, the fullbring arc gave us Kenpachi one shot kill, Byakuya using a flower petal kamehameha and Renji actually winning.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is it really winning if she committed suicide?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kild posted:

With Renji's record, a W is a W.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Kild posted:

Considering she was in the process of being Chadded by loving Renji, suicide was the honorable way to go.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheHan posted:

Considering she was in the process of being Chadded by loving Renji, suicide was the honorable way to go.

Poor Renji. Rodney Dangerfield should have voiced him.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking through some old chapters I ran across this: http://www.mangapanda.com/94-760-19/bleach/chapter-306.html

So is Mayuri just resurrecting these two people? If so, who the hell are they and maybe seeing them influenced Ishida to go full Ghost Nazi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're the Ex-Espada that Ishida and Ichigo beat. Dondon something, which the power of wind feet or something, and Cersei Thunderwitch, with the power of detachable wings. They were beaten and taken away by the Executioner Squad or something after they were beaten, because Espada 8 wanted to experiment on them to get info on Ichigo and company. The dude Chad fought was spared because Unohana came and prevented him from being taken away.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Whats the date for the next new chapter? There was supposed to be a 5 week break correct?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Officially, it comes back September 9th, so we should have scans around the 4th.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This just happened:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88MmvSkI1ic

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I love how it doesn't so much slice as cleave, despite how thin they made the blade for the sake of the weight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Haha. When they can't even do an overhead chop, they just hold it above the melon and just let go. They did their best to make it a useable weapon (and to their credit it is swingable without dislocating anything, which is amazing) and it's still pretty unwieldy.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Who What Now posted:

Haha. When they can't even do an overhead chop, they just hold it above the melon and just let go. They did their best to make it a useable weapon (and to their credit it is swingable without dislocating anything, which is amazing) and it's still pretty unwieldy.

If you think that's bad, check out their video of Cloud's buster sword from FF7. It's so heavy that one person can't even lift it effectively, so for the demonstration they basically have two people hold it up and drop it on whatever they want to cut.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
so has ichigo been corporeal as a shinigami since the fullbring arc?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

LanceKing2200 posted:

If you think that's bad, check out their video of Cloud's buster sword from FF7. It's so heavy that one person can't even lift it effectively, so for the demonstration they basically have two people hold it up and drop it on whatever they want to cut.

Well... it is designed to be wielded by super SOLIDERs after all. They even say in game that Sephiroth is the only person who can use his sword effectively.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I always thought it was way too big and heavy to be a viable weapon. They made it look too heavy to use in serious combat without being a weight lifter. I'm also sure it will break if you actually tried its too long NOT to snap in half if you know how to break a sword with another sword.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The Berserk Sword is far more impressive :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

That was actually pretty loving sweet. Can't believe Ichigo started off the series at the age of 15 holding this giant loving meat cleaver.

I know teenagers. My cousins are teenagers. You don't give teenagers no loving two-meter sword.

• Locked thread