Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

So, I hear they make water coolers you don't need bottles for anymore, which would be awesome for the new office my employer is moving to. Has anyone used one before? Any downsides I should be aware of? Any brands to avoid? Is there a better thread than this one to ask about this?
I can't give specifics of brands or whatever, but yeah, they just take water from the water supply, we had one at my last office and there was no appreciable difference to using bottled water. I assume it's filtered as well as cooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Wait, is this different from a drinking fountain?
They're like a traditional water cooler, just plumbed into tapwater with a filter instead of using bottles. They usually dispense hot and cold water, with downward-facing spigots for filling glasses/mugs instead of upward-facing like a drinking fountain.

But other than the hot/cold option, I suppose the core concept is basically the same.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My boss just had me take a "random" drug test. He made it sound urgent, like he had some deadline to meet with it? I'm wondering if the test is really random or if there's some possibility that he just has it out for me and is trying to get rid of me. I'm asking here because I don't know anything about HR stuff or how realistic my paranoia is. And yes I am looking for other work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're probably overthinking it. Maybe he just wanted some of your urine and the whole test part was a clever rouse.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

My boss just had me take a "random" drug test. He made it sound urgent, like he had some deadline to meet with it? I'm wondering if the test is really random or if there's some possibility that he just has it out for me and is trying to get rid of me. I'm asking here because I don't know anything about HR stuff or how realistic my paranoia is. And yes I am looking for other work.

Some states I think require drug testing for certain job fields(Correct me if I am wrong). I believe some, if not all insurance companies require drug testing. They also require drug testing when an accident occurs on the job.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Some states I think require drug testing for certain job fields(Correct me if I am wrong). I believe some, if not all insurance companies require drug testing. They also require drug testing when an accident occurs on the job.
Many jobs require pre-employment drug testing. Some jobs require drug testing after an accident. Very few jobs require random drug tests (being in the military, sometimes truck driver, some others).

HondaCivet, what does your employee handbook say about random drug testing?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

HondaCivet posted:

His boss probably needs him to take a drug test, so he's trying to scam some clean urine from you.

In all seriousness, though, whatever reason for the test, it somewhat defeats the purpose to have advance notice, hence the urgency.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Drug testing is so weird and such a violation that I'm amazed it's allowed at all. I can understand airline pilot or surgeon. But do office jobs drug test? Walmart?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Hoops posted:

Drug testing is so weird and such a violation that I'm amazed it's allowed at all. I can understand airline pilot or surgeon. But do office jobs drug test? Walmart?
It varies from employer to employer. A lot of offices (especially large corporations) do pre-employment drug tests. Wal-Mart does as well. A lot of smaller businesses don't, though.

And almost nobody does random drug tests. Not out of a sense of decency, though; almost entirely because it's too expensive.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

They're like a traditional water cooler, just plumbed into tapwater with a filter instead of using bottles. They usually dispense hot and cold water, with downward-facing spigots for filling glasses/mugs instead of upward-facing like a drinking fountain.

But other than the hot/cold option, I suppose the core concept is basically the same.

I think the reason people are confused is because you said:

Thanatosian posted:

So, I hear they make water coolers you don't need bottles for anymore

That is pretty much the definition of a drinking fountain.

I haven't seen one that dispenses hot water as well as cold. All the ones around here dispense ice with one button and cold filtered water with another. If you want hot tea or something, the commercial coffee makers typically have a spigot for hot water.

Ours are all maintained by a third party company that comes in and changes the filter and maintains the machines.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

You just described a Brita filter that mounts to the faucet, except probably way more expensive and complicated.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I work for a power company and the handbook says they do random testing so I knew it was a possibility. It covers "all employees" even though I work in an office and am never around electrical equipment ever. They're pretty lazy about actually differentiating between us silly little worker bees (the entire company gets lectured when some lineman backs a truck into a pole) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Loopyface posted:

You just described a Brita filter that mounts to the faucet, except probably way more expensive and complicated.
Except the cold water is cold instead of tepid.

And yes, you could just take one of the Brita filters that goes into a refrigerator and use that, except no one but me would ever refill it, so it would never be cold.

Also, it's an office, so there's a psychological aspect to consider, too; people expect to get their water from a cooler. We currently use a bottled water delivery place, I'm just looking for other options.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

So, I hear they make water coolers you don't need bottles for anymore, which would be awesome for the new office my employer is moving to. Has anyone used one before? Any downsides I should be aware of? Any brands to avoid? Is there a better thread than this one to ask about this?

We've got them, I think we just lease them and they're checked on periodically by the company. The ones in our two offices are in the kitchen hooked into all the sink stuff. Cold is cold and hot is pretty dang hot, so no complaints. Cant run out of water because its just tapped into the water system.

e: It looks similar to this. Tankless water cooler.

KoB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 20, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HondaCivet posted:

I work for a power company and the handbook says they do random testing so I knew it was a possibility. It covers "all employees" even though I work in an office and am never around electrical equipment ever. They're pretty lazy about actually differentiating between us silly little worker bees (the entire company gets lectured when some lineman backs a truck into a pole) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Kind of related for this. Would it be better for you to quit before the drug test or fail and get fired? I imagine getting fired for it would come up on future job offers when they check your work history but if you quit it's just all "Yeah, I just wanted to find something new."

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Thanatosian posted:

Except the cold water is cold instead of tepid.
Wait, where you are you have to refrigerate water to make it cold? You can't get cold water straight from the tap?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Wait, where you are you have to refrigerate water to make it cold? You can't get cold water straight from the tap?

In some places, tap water will come out maybe just slightly under room temperature. In upstate New York, that's how it is in summer, but in winter it will come out much cooler. In Florida, it's always barely below room temperature.

Where are you that it comes out cold? I live in Austria now and the tap water, which is excellent, comes out fairly cold even on the hottest days. I love it, but I think it's kind of a rare deal.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DNova posted:

In some places, tap water will come out maybe just slightly under room temperature. In upstate New York, that's how it is in summer, but in winter it will come out much cooler. In Florida, it's always barely below room temperature.

Where are you that it comes out cold? I live in Austria now and the tap water, which is excellent, comes out fairly cold even on the hottest days. I love it, but I think it's kind of a rare deal.

Different cities in Canada. Mainly Toronto and Montreal. It's not fridge cold, but it's cold enough that you don't need to chill it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

unpronounceable posted:

I'm in Seattle. "Tepid" is maybe a little hyperbolic, but I certainly wouldn't call it "cold."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Also, it's an office, so there's a psychological aspect to consider, too; people expect to get their water from a cooler. We currently use a bottled water delivery place, I'm just looking for other options.
My experience has been that once you remove the big blue bottle, nobody uses it anymore. I'm not sure why.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Volume posted:

Kind of related for this. Would it be better for you to quit before the drug test or fail and get fired? I imagine getting fired for it would come up on future job offers when they check your work history but if you quit it's just all "Yeah, I just wanted to find something new."

I know you probably weren't talking to me but I wanted to clarify that I'm a total square so they aren't going to find anything, it's more about the fact that I was asked and if it's possibly not random. I'm probably just being paranoid though; I got yelled at for tardiness recently and also I hate my workplace and it probably shows at least a little.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

photomikey posted:

My experience has been that once you remove the big blue bottle, nobody uses it anymore. I'm not sure why.

Our office changed from the bottled water cooler to one running right off the main, and I noticed a lot less people using it and a lot more bottles brought in from home, yeah. At least for a while. There's some weird psychology going on there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do butter knives always come out of the dishwasher having more water spots on them than other silverware?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Our office changed from the bottled water cooler to one running right off the main, and I noticed a lot less people using it and a lot more bottles brought in from home, yeah. At least for a while. There's some weird psychology going on there.

Tap water is bad for you. Don't you know it has harsh chemicals and other contaminants. Even though bottled water is in some cases tap water itself. There have also been a case of two of harmful containments in bottled water that hospitalized people.

Even though tap water is more regulated than the water bottling business.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 21, 2013

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

hooah posted:

Why do butter knives always come out of the dishwasher having more water spots on them than other silverware?
More grease? Cutlery you've used to eat tends to have less food on it, either because you've cut food with it or it's gone in your mouth. Butter knives used for spreading on toast or whatever will have more butter left on them when they go in the dishwasher.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Ciaphas posted:

No one wants to be the idiot who tries to use the water cooler before the bottle is on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

User-Friendly posted:

No one wants to be the idiot who tries to use the water cooler before the bottle is on.
I have one in my house and it has a 1 gallon reservoir that it keeps cold. I haven't tested, but I'd imagine it would work just fine without the bottle on top barring some sort of mechanism designed to do just that.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

Perhaps it's just that a flat, shiny surface makes spots more apparent?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

KoB posted:

We've got them, I think we just lease them and they're checked on periodically by the company. The ones in our two offices are in the kitchen hooked into all the sink stuff. Cold is cold and hot is pretty dang hot, so no complaints. Cant run out of water because its just tapped into the water system.

There's probably a reverse osmosis filter either under the sink or at the base of the unit, I used to install those in businesses and homes.

Capt. Morgan fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 21, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Why does my iPhone constantly connect to Time Warner Cable wi-fi without me doing anything? 90% of the time I'll get the "connect to McDonalds Wifi, Joe's Plumbing Wifi, Jiffy Lube wifi, etc. ..." pop-up when I enter a shop or business I've never been into. But at least 5 times a day, I'll have to switch my wi-fi off in the settings because my iPhone will automatically switch from 3G to Time Warner Cable wi-fi (I live in LA so it's very prevalent).

And nope, the wi-fi at my home is not TWC. This is really annoying when trying to use Google Maps on 3G and suddenly it stops working because it switches to a TWC wi-fi that I don't have the password to!

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Check your wifi settings for something like automatically connect to wifi networks.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Where can I buy tons of water damage indicator stickers, preferably from a place that's not "Chen's iPone Acsesory Store!"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

KoB posted:

In case your office doesn't want to give up floorspace, I've seen smaller ones that fill the same purpose, but they fit onto a countertop. I could look at the model number for you next time I'm in that office, if you want.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
At our office we have water inc brand evercold chillers under the sinks in breakrooms.

Its a box the size of 2 car batteries next to each other with a separate little tap up top next to the sink for chilled water.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How many people in the US armed forces have criminal records? I'd like a statistical breakdown based on branch and rank.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

alnilam posted:

In case your office doesn't want to give up floorspace, I've seen smaller ones that fill the same purpose, but they fit onto a countertop. I could look at the model number for you next time I'm in that office, if you want.

We have this in the office. Cold water is so cold that I have to mix it with hot to drink it. Also boils but it takes a while to charge up.

I don't think there anyone in the office bringing in bottled water, this thing get a lot of use.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Dragyn posted:

We have this in the office. Cold water is so cold that I have to mix it with hot to drink it. Also boils but it takes a while to charge up.

I don't think there anyone in the office bringing in bottled water, this thing get a lot of use.

How hot is the "hot?" Like, hot enough to make a cup of tea?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Capt. Morgan posted:

Check your wifi settings for something like automatically connect to wifi networks.

It's definitely off. That's why I get the pop-up asking me if I want to connect to wi-fi networks. It's only TWC that it automatically connects to without asking me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dragyn posted:

We have these too and they're pieces of poo poo and we've replaced 3 of them in the last 4 months.

Also there's no option for room temperature water, just very cold or very hot. I hate these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Baron Bifford posted:

How many people in the US armed forces have criminal records? I'd like a statistical breakdown based on branch and rank.

You're not going to find that level of detail anywhere. I looked for 20 minutes and these are the only numbers I could find even vaguely related to your question, both of them unsourced.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htwin/20080512.aspx

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/07/13/more_entering_army_with_criminal_records/?page=full