Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skwirl posted:

Because more people care about Sigourney Weaver fighting Aliens then they do about the Alien universe. We've had three Alien-ish movies movies without her, and the response hasn't been near as close to the universal acclaim that Alien and Aliens get.

That's kind of misleading as two of those movies have been AvP, a silly cash-in franchise based the comics and video games. And Prometheus (God help us all) is at least better than Alien 3 or Resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
More realistically it's "the studio would not put up the money without Weaver" because without your Oscar-nominated star in the franchise's iconic role you'll inevitably look like some second-rate spinoff, like when they made a sequel to Grease without Travolta or ONJ.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Grease 2 is better than Grease :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Grease is such a goddamn horrible musical that it's really pick your poison at that point, and at least Grease 2 has the hilarious Reproduction Song.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Because more people care about Sigourney Weaver fighting Aliens then they do about the Alien universe. We've had three Alien-ish movies movies without her, and the response hasn't been near as close to the universal acclaim that Alien and Aliens get.
Have any of them captured the same claustrophobic feeling that even Resurrection had, though? I haven't seen the AvP movies.
Once you get past the scary alien, the real terror comes from knowing you're stuck in this box with an unrelenting monster, and you're either going to escape or die. Few horror movies have captured that feeling as well -- there's always an outside world that can intrude at any moment, or some sense of people on the outside trying to help. The Alien franchise was very good at conveying the idea that absolutely nobody is coming to help you. Not that they'd come if they could, or that the cavalry will arrive if you can just get the call out, but that there is nobody at all who can save you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

Grease 2 is better than Grease :colbert:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm quite fond of Grease 2. I have the soundtrack, which I don't for the first one. (And yes, "Reproduction" is great.)

But that is what made it impossible for people to give it a fair shot, I'm sure. Well that and the rock musical genre having sputtered out already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm quite fond of Grease 2. I have the soundtrack, which I don't for the first one. (And yes, "Reproduction" is great.)

But that is what made it impossible for people to give it a fair shot, I'm sure. Well that and the rock musical genre having sputtered out already.

I only know it as an early Michelle Pfeiffer role that they showed on VH-1 all the time in the early 2000's, but given the other movies they should all the time in early 2000's, I'd avoided it on principle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VH-1's entire strategy towards movies in that period was, "is it cheap?" and "can we take up 3-5 hours of airtime with this?" Queuing up another Jackson 5 miniseries marathon on the double.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

exquisite tea posted:

VH-1's entire strategy towards movies in that period was, "is it cheap?" and "can we take up 3-5 hours of airtime with this?" Queuing up another Jackson 5 miniseries marathon on the double.

I have a vague memory of an anthology horror film they had, I only saw one bit of it. to the identify thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

I have a vague memory of an anthology horror film they had, I only saw one bit of it. to the identify thread.

This is easy: Strange Frequency.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Whatever happened to Xenomrph? I'd like to hear his take on Alien Resurrection.
I watched it last night and while I'd say it was a bad movie, it did have some great moments. Ripley encountering the clone room for example.

"Must be a woman thing."

fuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuu josssssssssss wheeeeeeeeeedon

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Monkeyseesaw posted:

"Must be a woman thing."

fuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuu josssssssssss wheeeeeeeeeedon

The overall tone of this movie is just mind boggling. Joss Whedons writing with Jean-Pierre Jeunets direction in an Alien film was absolutely bizarre. I've always wanted an Alien Resurrection cover that had "From the director of Amelie" on the front just for the sheer hilarity that these two films share certain qualities.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Was just watching the first Terminator movie and a thought occurred to me.

Was there ever an idea given of what the terminators would do once they completed their mission of killing Sarah/John?

It was stated that they couldn't self-terminate, so I guess they would either do nothing and stop moving, or maybe just start killing everything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Was there ever an idea given of what the terminators would do once they completed their mission of killing Sarah/John?

It was stated that they couldn't self-terminate, so I guess they would either do nothing and stop moving, or maybe just start killing everything.

I think it was extended universe, but I remember hearing that they would just isolate themselves, wait for the bombs to drop, then assist Skynet as it saw fit.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Given corporate ethics being what they are it probably could have just found the leading technology corporation and explained the situation. They'd be thinking of the money while it downloaded "detailed files" for them to use and Skynet would have had things wrapped up by the late '80s. They probably would have had it acquiring coke too, but even T-800s should have been able to multitask.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

syscall girl posted:

They probably would have had it acquiring coke too, but even T-800s should have been able to multitask.

Now I kind of want to see Arnold try to order future drugs from a street dealer.

"Hey, just what you see, pal."

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What happened to Francis Ford Coppola? That is, in the 70s he made four movies that would be in any top 100 list, and was the screenwriter for another (Patton) that might not be quite of that caliber but is generally very well regarded. I'd put his body of work in that decade up with any director's best ten year span, and he looked well on his way to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 directors of all time. Since then, he's had maybe 2-3 decent, entertaining but ultimately slight movies and a whole bunch of duds. I mean, if not for the '70s, he'd be considered a mediocre ham-n-egger along the lines of Paul W. S. Anderson or, I don't know, Jon Turteltaub -- decently competent, forgettable, and largely anonymous.

Was it just luck in the 70s? I just don't get how he seemingly lost his talent for directing or recognizing a good story vs a bad one.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

What happened to Francis Ford Coppola? That is, in the 70s he made four movies that would be in any top 100 list, and was the screenwriter for another (Patton) that might not be quite of that caliber but is generally very well regarded. I'd put his body of work in that decade up with any director's best ten year span, and he looked well on his way to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 directors of all time. Since then, he's had maybe 2-3 decent, entertaining but ultimately slight movies and a whole bunch of duds. I mean, if not for the '70s, he'd be considered a mediocre ham-n-egger along the lines of Paul W. S. Anderson or, I don't know, Jon Turteltaub -- decently competent, forgettable, and largely anonymous.

Was it just luck in the 70s? I just don't get how he seemingly lost his talent for directing or recognizing a good story vs a bad one.

I think he went insane in the Philippines.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

This happened.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

It seems to happen from time to time. See also: Argento, Dario.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also his firstborn son died in a boating accident. That sort of made him rethink his priorities in life.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

regulargonzalez posted:

My first exposure to his work was Jack. For the longest time, I refused to believe he did anything of value before that. Man, that movie is a pile of dogshit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At least Coppola makes nearly all DVD/Blu-Ray releases of his films into a film masterclass.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I just saw City of Lost Children for the first time. At the beginning of the film, One is set up as a genuine old-school circus strongman, breaking out of genuine steel chains just by expanding his chest. Halfway through the film, he ends up standing on a plank over the ocean, wrapped completely in rope and unable to escape. Why doesn't he just snap the ropes? I feel like I missed something obvious.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I honestly think Patton is very nearly as good as The Godfathers and The Conversation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

I honestly think Patton is very nearly as good as The Godfathers and The Conversation.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'll take Goldsmith's score over the others.

It's also got one of the ballsiest openings in film. It's still easy to appreciate how iconic it is today, in the same sense that we appreciate those inky black Gordon Willis shadows in the opening of The Godfather (1972), but the lights going down and bam there's the flag and a dandied-up hardass talking about how the very idea of losing is hateful to Americans in 1970 is just loving amazing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'd consider Turtletaub more competant than Paul WS Anderson. Retribution was so bad I thought it was directed by some lackey of his. He really didn't have the talent to pull off three films in two years.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SubG posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'll take Goldsmith's score over the others.

It's also got one of the ballsiest openings in film. It's still easy to appreciate how iconic it is today, in the same sense that we appreciate those inky black Gordon Willis shadows in the opening of The Godfather (1972), but the lights going down and bam there's the flag and a dandied-up hardass talking about how the very idea of losing is hateful to Americans in 1970 is just loving amazing.

Oh yeah, it's almost impossible to really step back and absorb how unlike anything else that scene was. Plus without Patton focusing most of Fox's attention, we never would've gotten MASH!

I guess Walter Murch really created the opening of Apocalypse Now so it's out of contention, but between Godfather 1 and Patton, Coppola really knew how to open a film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Agreed except replace "very nearly" with "entirely."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Maybe as good as the Godfather....

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

qntm posted:

I just saw City of Lost Children for the first time. At the beginning of the film, One is set up as a genuine old-school circus strongman, breaking out of genuine steel chains just by expanding his chest. Halfway through the film, he ends up standing on a plank over the ocean, wrapped completely in rope and unable to escape. Why doesn't he just snap the ropes? I feel like I missed something obvious.

He's completely wrapped in thick rope from his ankles to his shoulders. That's a lot harder to break than the one chain link he breaks at the start.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

One From The Heart is my favorite Coppola film, hands down. It's perfect.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Interesting -- so a vanity project basically reduced him to gun-for-hire for a decade+. Easy to scoff at a vanity project gone wrong since it seems to happen a lot, but can't hardly blame the guy for thinking that a project he believed in and devoted his entire talent to would be a big hit, given his incredible run leading up to that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It wasn't just that it was a flop, it was a big enough flop to destroy his company.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FishBulb posted:

It wasn't just that it was a flop, it was a big enough flop to destroy his company.

I can't help but picture him in his vineyards like Don Corleone in his garden.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

How was the opening shot to The Turin Horse filmed? It's an astonishing bit of camerawork. Moves too quickly at times to be standard steadicam, there are no dolly tracks anywhere in evidence as there should be in some shots if a dolly was used, and it's too steady for filming from a vehicle considering the terrain. And the distance covered seems too great to be a crane shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnCS7uXueQ

I suppose dolly tracks could have been digitally edited out so a steadicam operator on a dolly cart is my best guess for now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It could've been filmed from the back of a truck, and then the image stabilized in post later.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It could've been filmed from the back of a truck, and then the image stabilized in post later.

That's how the North by Northwest ripoff in The Beast of Yucca Flats was done, except for the stabilization part obviously.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It doesn't look like it's moving fast. The horse never goes faster than a steady trot. The smoke makes it look like it's faster than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

It doesn't look like it's moving fast. The horse never goes faster than a steady trot. The smoke makes it look like it's faster than it is.

But there are times the camera moves much faster than the horse, to catch up and pass it by (in order to get in front of it).

In any event, I asked a professional camera operator acquaintance of mine about it, his guess, citing fresh tire tracks at 1:30, was truck + steadicam.