Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Vriess posted:

I am gonna burn through the 30+ characters some more and build a small reservoire of Bounty Contracts and sell them before the market crashes.

If I could pull a couple of million credits from it, I think it could be worth it.

Anyone know if bounty contracts can be sold on the GTN? There aren't any on there when I look, but I figure maybe they've just been snatched up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008

Prism posted:

I was going to take Powertech on my BH and do DPS :ohdear:. Should I be worried about being useless until October? I mean not that it really matters because I'm not going to max level until at least October anyway.

You'll be fine if you go advanced prototype. You can do the levelling content on any class just mashing your auto-attack for the most part, and the only time the dps might be tight enough that you could cause an enrage would be nightmare mode ops.

And yeah, overall the changes to PT pyro are a ~12-15% overall damage buff to thermal detonator (and making it much more front loaded), and slight damage and utility nerfs to the other skills. I'm not sure what their spreadsheets say, or if they're confused about what procs what, but just these changes alone aren't going to make the spec playable again. AP changes are good, though, if maybe not quite enough, and might swing people away from the hybrid.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Anyone know if bounty contracts can be sold on the GTN? There aren't any on there when I look, but I figure maybe they've just been snatched up already.

They cannot. They have to be sold face to face.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm checking this out after finally playing KOTOR 1&2. Can you enjoy a solo play-through on a free account, or is the leveling pack/Rocket Boots really recommended? If I try some Warzones will there be people doing five times my damage with legacy weapons and crap?

I'm also wondering about the different story lines. Are there any class stories that kind of hit on a grey area between good and evil and put you on your own instead of being all about the cause and sucking up to people? Do they all get pretty good in general?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Bounty Hunter and Smuggler are two very neutral classes. Both are all about the money and you really only end up helping the side you're with because you get paid or because it's convenient.

IA also has the opportunity to be fairly neutral; hell, IA is pretty much the best story of the bunch. But all of the stories are pretty good; Trooper is basically a Star Wars Tom Clancy novel for the most part, and Jedi Knight is your typical Star Wars fare. Do it dark side, though, it's much more entertaining, and is pretty much just petty poo poo (whereas Sith Inquisitor is pretty much just [FORCE LIGHTNING] on every other conversation wheel.)

You CAN get all the story stuff free, but you'll level a little slower. It's no real big deal; the packs make poo poo a lot easier but you can get by without it.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'm checking this out after finally playing KOTOR 1&2. Can you enjoy a solo play-through on a free account, or is the leveling pack/Rocket Boots really recommended? If I try some Warzones will there be people doing five times my damage with legacy weapons and crap?

I'm also wondering about the different story lines. Are there any class stories that kind of hit on a grey area between good and evil and put you on your own instead of being all about the cause and sucking up to people? Do they all get pretty good in general?

You can absolutely play through the 1-50 content without paying a cent. The game will shout at you to buy things, but you don't really need any of it, and if it's your first time through on a side, it's worth seeing all the side content anyway. Some of it is really well done. In 1-54 warzones, everyone gets bolstered, and there shouldn't be much in the way of power disparity. F2P is only really restrictive if you want to do endgame stuff or lots of warzones, and many of its restrictions can be lifted by spending ingame credits to buy unlocks off the GTN. That said, it only costs $5 to get a preferred account, which is a good upgrade and well worth it if you enjoy the game.

As for story lines, any of the non-force user classes plays best if you go neutral, stick to your own set of principles you decide for a character and turn off those pesky light/dark side indicators. Imperial agent and Smuggler are two of the best stories in the game, and Bounty Hunter and Trooper both have their moments. It's really all a matter of taste, but I prefer them to the Jedi/Sith stories for pretty much the same reasons.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Cool, thanks. I've been playing Jedi Knight and I'm already pretty annoyed by trying to garner light side points. Guess I'll reroll or just start being a dick.

Do the Light/Dark side points do anything important, even for the Jedi/Sith classes? Like is it a bad idea to split your points?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Royal Scrub posted:

Cool, thanks. I've been playing Jedi Knight and I'm already pretty annoyed by trying to garner light side points. Guess I'll reroll or just start being a dick.

Do the Light/Dark side points do anything important, even for the Jedi/Sith classes? Like is it a bad idea to split your points?

The only thing it really affects is using some relics during your leveling. But once you hit 50, alignment doesn't matter anymore, and not using them leveling up isn't that big a deal.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Royal Scrub posted:

The Imperial Agent story is great and has a lot of room for deciding your own allegiances, but you are playing politics nonstop.

The Bounty Hunter story is probably the most neutral in terms of not really working for anybody's cause. You're totally out for yourself. It has kind of a Firefly vibe, and playing it neutral is pretty rewarding. Some people hate it and think it's boring, but I enjoyed it as kind of a break from all the good vs. evil stuff. I loved the Tatooine arc and the light side ending.

Chapter 1 of the Smuggler story is the best Chapter 1 in the game. It's straight gangster poo poo, but then it kinda goes off the rails and Chapter 2 is all about helping the Republic. The dark side ending is cool if you can suffer through the long boring stretch in the middle. I played through it light side too, and I do not recommend it.

The best class for being a huge jerk to absolutely everybody you meet is Sith Inquisitor.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Is the HK-51 quest as insufferable as I'm envisioning it to be? I just started searching for my first piece on Taris and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

vanbags posted:

Is the HK-51 quest as insufferable as I'm envisioning it to be? I just started searching for my first piece on Taris and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

It can be a bit frustrating, but it's definitely worth it if you want a super powerful dps companion. I've generally had pretty good luck grouping with others in gen chat who are also searching for the pieces.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

vanbags posted:

I spent a few hours trying to find that goddamned Taris piece based on (I think) dulfy.net's information. Turns out I was digging too far to the west, missing out on this patch to the east directly north of the Endar Spire, where I found it on my third try in ten minutes, tops. The other pieces didn't take very long to find either, although I did have help for a few of them.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

vanbags posted:

I did the whole thing solo (except for the HM of Foundry) and, yes, it is absolutely a pain. The Theoretika bit was fun and different than most instances, but the scanning is poo poo design. The whole thing took me about a week-end's worth of play time. But, like alien8 said, you can usually find groups to maximize search efforts. Sometimes even from the opposite faction - you don't group but as soon as a piece is found it remains available for gathering to all for a minute.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The best class for being a huge jerk to absolutely everybody you meet is Sith Inquisitor.

My sorcerer sometimes chooses light side options and the surprised reactions in the dialog is just as fun as shocking people.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Light-side Knight isn't so bad. I'm playing a Sith Pureblood (:iamafag:) knight who behaves like an arrogant jerkass when he can get away with it, but mostly picking Light-side responses unless someone is really asking for it.

PoptartsNinja's LP of the Light-side Sith Warrior really highlights how good it is, too.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

MoraleHazard posted:

My sorcerer sometimes chooses light side options and the surprised reactions in the dialog is just as fun as shocking people.

Considering the common Bioware morality parameters, I think they're just surprised you gave them your wallet rather than making them go bald with the power of lightning.

Dark side Jedi Knight is about the same; everyone's like 'oh hey a jedi they'll do whatever the gently caress we ask cause that's what they do' and then you force push them into a pile of medical refuse.

DS Jedi Knight is just a petulant dick, and it's great.

e: Speaking of, is the goon guild on republic side just 'Goon Squad'? I joined a pubbie guild for the XP bonus and it's INSUFFERABLE.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

John Dyne posted:

e: Speaking of, is the goon guild on republic side just 'Goon Squad'? I joined a pubbie guild for the XP bonus and it's INSUFFERABLE.
I haven't joined any pubbie Republic guild yet (no good can come of it) in hopes of getting a Goon Squad invite instead, but no luck finding anyone online so far. Being in Europe's probably a bit of a handicap. Is it possible to send a guild invite to someone who's offline?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I still have to get invited to That's no Goon, but since I'm running through the solo campaign, I forget to to check to see if anyone is online.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Goon Squad's been pretty empty lately. I've logged on to my Republic characters there to run bounty missions over the past week, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone else logged in. Maybe we could try to designate a night to get everybody on their Republic characters and hang out, maybe run some flashpoints?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Got my hat! :haw:

This morning in the bounty area it was a constant sound of rep items being turned in after the weekly reset.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Nipponophile posted:

Goon Squad's been pretty empty lately. I've logged on to my Republic characters there to run bounty missions over the past week, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone else logged in. Maybe we could try to designate a night to get everybody on their Republic characters and hang out, maybe run some flashpoints?

I'd be game for that. I don't have a guild for Phinnian (my scoundrel) yet, and I could use the sweet sweet exps.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

I'd be happy just to get invites for Blatant-ripoff and Mindless-grunt, but living in a CET area and having a full-time job I can't really stay up until it's nighttime in the US. About 7 PM (maybe 8 PM) EST is the best I can do on a Friday or Saturday, let alone during the week. :smith:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I could swear I saw a vendor that sold the Black Talon gear on DK at some point, and I've wasted like 30 minutes scouring parts of Coruscant for his Esseles sellin' cousin. Am I just imagining things, or do these guys actually exist?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

John Dyne posted:

I could swear I saw a vendor that sold the Black Talon gear on DK at some point, and I've wasted like 30 minutes scouring parts of Coruscant for his Esseles sellin' cousin. Am I just imagining things, or do these guys actually exist?

You crazy.

The gear they sell on DK/Coruscant is the legacy gear.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

John Dyne posted:

Actually you can buy BT gear right at the exit of the spaceport on DK. Not sure where the Republic equivalent is though - did you try under the senate plaza?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

You crazy.

The gear they sell on DK/Coruscant is the legacy gear.

IIRC the specialty items vendor near the exit of the spaceport sells the MH/OH that drop from BT.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Actually you can buy BT gear right at the exit of the spaceport on DK. Not sure where the Republic equivalent is though - did you try under the senate plaza?

Huh, is that new? I remember running BT over and over again with my Mercenary to get the chestpiece (Which she still wears at level 55).

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yeah I logged on to see if I was actually insane or not and found the DK vendor.

I scoured all over senate plaza and the specialty vendor there doesn't sell any of the Esseles crap. :saddowns:

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008

Medullah posted:

Huh, is that new? I remember running BT over and over again with my Mercenary to get the chestpiece (Which she still wears at level 55).

It's been there since launch. And there is a republic version as well, I remember it from the beta, he should be one of the vendors under the plaza, but I'm not sure, just keep checking.

It's just the weapons, though, as I recall, not armor pieces.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Just started playing like two days ago and I have already got to see somebody constantly complaining about their mom during a flashpoint :cmon:.

Edit: Actually, gently caress it. I'll try playing on a PvP server, I enjoy pain. In as my HomelessFriend on PoT5(empire).

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 21, 2013

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

John Dyne posted:

Yeah I logged on to see if I was actually insane or not and found the DK vendor.

I scoured all over senate plaza and the specialty vendor there doesn't sell any of the Esseles crap. :saddowns:

Here he is. Under the plaza on the left side.

Edit: To clarify: The vendor I pointed out does sell Esseles weapons.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 20, 2013

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
Patch notes for 2.3.1 are up. New Cartel shipment with a new reputation to grind is out. The old ones are still available, at least for now. I'm only a friend of the contraband resale corp, but I'm sure a few goons are legendary by now. I'm not sure if I envy them or not. Some interesting changes to S&V, mostly nightmare mode, and not just nerfing everything. Perhaps the biggest change is that you will no longer hear tauntauns bleating everywhere, all the time.

VonLudwig fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 21, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

The whisper reply fix will be huge (assuming it works right) and way overdue.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I like the changes to make it easier for F2P'ers. Not that they are major changes or anything, but hopefully it's the start of a trend to make the F2P model better.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

VonLudwig posted:

Patch notes for 3.1 are up. New Cartel shipment with a new reputation to grind is out. The old ones are still available, at least for now. I'm only a friend of the contraband resale corp, but I'm sure a few goons are legendary by now. I'm not sure if I envy them or not. Some interesting changes to S&V, mostly nightmare mode, and not just nerfing everything. Perhaps the biggest change is that you will no longer hear tauntauns bleating everywhere, all the time.

They finally fixed Lt. Peirce. I had him clone himself, teleport into the void of space, etc. during convos.

EDIT: Best patch note, "Skadge has given up his ventriloquism hobby and will move his lips when saying the line 'You got somethin' to kill, or what?'"

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I got my Smashmaster Rage Marauder to 50 today (my first 50). It's such a blast to play compared to other classes, although I have a 41 gunnery Trooper that's nigh indestructible and I'm digging him too. If I can muster the will to get to 55 on my mara I'll see about joing TNG and trying raid content for the first time since the dark days of WoW. I must confess that high-level mechanics confuse me in this game. It seems like there are so many options. Any advice for a fresh 50? I'm basically stacking Power and have mostly orange gear right now.

Oh and for anyone else who has finished act 3 of the warrior story, I had considerably more trouble downing Baras's cyborg lieutenant than I did Baras himself. Seems like crummy design there, but I did enjoy bagging Baras and meeting the dark council. Does the storyline have anything else cool in store or did they phone it in for the expansion?

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 21, 2013

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Lordshmee posted:

Does the storyline have anything else cool in store or did they phone it in for the expansion?
Nothing class specific happens after the Corellia campaign yet, but I suspect that, after they've added in a few more planets, they'll install another class specific Act.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So i have me a small pile of cartel coins that i want to turn into credits, any clear winners? I was tipped off that the weekly warzone passes were good money (and they are) but i'd like to know if there are any other good things to keep an eye on.

I really want that cartel set with the scorpion lookalike coat, and the coat itself costs a cool million on the gtn. :haw:

Shambles
Dec 8, 2003
I've been buying the carbonite chambers for 240CC and selling them for 500,000. Dont know if its a good deal or not, but I've made over 3 mill so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

The Carbonite Chamber will probably be back to full price today. Inventory unlocks are always a good seller, price them under 200k and anyone looking to unlock their last bar is better off buying one from the GTN. The Escrow transfers for f2p players are a decent seller on my server too, the 600k one goes for 230-250k and they tend to sell pretty quick. I'd check the market on these for your server before buying any though, prices seem to swing pretty wildly from server to server.

• Locked thread