Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Handgun Phonics posted:

How would you handle actions like "looking for the enemy's position in the fog", and the sort? It's too quick for Discern Realities, and the questions don't really fit that as well, either.

Say "OK, how do you do go about doing that ?" Their answers should really help break it down into moves you can make them roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Handgun Phonics posted:

How would you handle actions like "looking for the enemy's position in the fog", and the sort? It's too quick for Discern Realities, and the questions don't really fit that as well, either.

Discern Realities can be a quick move if it needs to be, no reason to say it takes a while. For instance the Fighter has a move about Discerning Realities during combat which indicates that it's not necessarily a slow thing.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
The main rules say "To discern realities you must closely observe your target. That usually means interacting with it or watching someone else do the same. You can’t just stick your head in the doorway and discern realities about a room. You’re not merely scanning for clues—you have to look under and around things, tap the walls, and check for weird dust patterns on the bookshelves. That sort of thing.", which seems an awful lot for a quick action. The bigger problem there is that "where is the enemy located" doesn't seem to fit into the questions I'm given.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, figure out a new move, or add some new question(s) to Discern.

Fog hunt:

When you search for your enemy in the fog roll +stat. On a 10+ pick 2, one a 7-9 pick 1, on a 6 blah blah blah.
- It doesn't take too long
- You don't stumble across the enemy unexpectedly
- You don't blunder into anything you weren't expecting to be there at all
- You don't get lost

etc.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

For things like that I generally go with this move:

When you do anything, roll +Stat.
On a 10+, yay!
On a 7-9, good news and bad news.
On a 6-, move time.

You can always fall back on the general mechanical framework without consulting a specific move.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Mikan posted:

For things like that I generally go with this move:

When you do anything, roll +Stat.
On a 10+, yay!
On a 7-9, good news and bad news.
On a 6-, move time.

You can always fall back on the general mechanical framework without consulting a specific move.

Isn't that just Defy Danger in a nutshell?

Also, is Wis generally the accepted Perception stat? It's pretty schizophrenic about what exactly it is, from possibly-perception to willpower to faith.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Handgun Phonics posted:

Isn't that just Defy Danger in a nutshell?

Also, is Wis generally the accepted Perception stat? It's pretty schizophrenic about what exactly it is, from possibly-perception to willpower to faith.

Defy Danger is the Ur move, you can resolve just about anything with a slight reskinning of it. As for Wisdom, I consider it to represent your relationship with the world outside your head. Intelligence is your connection with the world inside your head. It works out to be a pretty neat separation.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So, I'm running my first demo game! What character sheets should I bring? I'm probably just going to improv some kind of adventure, but do you guys like any demo scenarios a lot?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheLawinator posted:

So, I'm running my first demo game! What character sheets should I bring? I'm probably just going to improv some kind of adventure, but do you guys like any demo scenarios a lot?

I was sold on the demo adventure with the minotaur. It was short, simple and showed how the game does it's gamey things. Characters I dunno about. I liked The Slayer though.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

TheLawinator posted:

Here are some premade adventures for demos from the DW website: http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/
And here are some experiences related to one of those adventures, Drazhu's Slave Pit.

And another, the TEMPLE OF UNGU.

One Page Dungeons are great sources of inspiration as well. I believe the Minotaur adventure was created for the one page dungeon contest at some point. Just checked, yes, the 2011 contest.

Take the basic character sheet and any other sheets you are relatively familiar with - you want to be able to create opportunities for the characters to demonstrate their strengths throughout the adventure. If you create an adventure that depends heavily on magic and sneaking, the fighter might get a little frustrated without an opportune bar to bend or gate to lift. Create opening questions for any class you bring, in the style of Slave Pits or Temple of Ungu - a way to tie each character into the end game in a compelling way. You can do this organically based on the characters that get played at the table, but since you're running what amounts to a one-shot, you can pre-plan at least that much so you can spend your game time coming up with the other fantastic details and twisting what you have.

If I were going to improvise the adventure, I'd look at these adventures and get a feel for what helps a game come together - names for everything, details in environments, motivations for characters, and always driving the players towards the finale (assuming they are going that way). It also helps if you can put the players in the middle of some action. Don't start them in the middle of the town, start them running towards the entrance to a dungeon, with something nasty chasing them. Start things active and then feel out your players' pace, and apply pressure with the Hard Moves when necessary.

Last note, the treasure cards in the adventures are money - players love getting them, and they love having the choice of either treasure on a card. Being able to physically hand the characters a treasure card is a great tactile experience at the table. If you want to come up with stuff on the fly, fold notecards in half and write a gold/gem/wealth amount on one side and then put whatever magical heart seeking sword, unbreakable wand, or helmet of blinding rage on the other. Good luck!

An additional thought - if you are planning on running multiple demos, you really should have a scenario partially planned out, because then every session is kind of like a poem, or like a jazz performance. Each player brings something different and you end up in vastly different places and each encounter has new context and new life. It's kind of amazing to see, and worth a bit of pre-planning.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Mage and druid for sure. Artificer too. I like the open-ended playbooks like those that allow for max destruction (by the GM, when things go wrong). Just read the druid shape shift faq in the OP.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 19, 2013

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I ran Drazhu's a couple weeks back for my regular group and they had a decent time with it. The pit slave class moves are hilarious, and he was easily more effective with his groveling and squirming than the regular "hero" classes were with their spells and backstabs and whatnot. At least until he leaped head first into a chasm for no apparent reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey, sorry if this has come up a bunch, but I'm new to Dungeon World and have a question.

I bought gnome7's Alternate Playbooks, which look really exciting, and I think one of my players wants to play the Mage. But I've noticed some of the tags under the Mage's "Black Magic" move ("Debilitating," in particular) aren't defined either in the playbook or in the core book and I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

Admittedly, it took me a little while to cotton on to how free-form the Mage class appears to be--which seems like it fits in beautifully with Dungeon World in general--so I almost certainly am missing something.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Harrow posted:

Hey, sorry if this has come up a bunch, but I'm new to Dungeon World and have a question.

I bought gnome7's Alternate Playbooks, which look really exciting, and I think one of my players wants to play the Mage. But I've noticed some of the tags under the Mage's "Black Magic" move ("Debilitating," in particular) aren't defined either in the playbook or in the core book and I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

Admittedly, it took me a little while to cotton on to how free-form the Mage class appears to be--which seems like it fits in beautifully with Dungeon World in general--so I almost certainly am missing something.

Nah, I'm a dork who never defined that tag in those playbooks. "Debilitating" is exactly what it sounds like - it means instead of dealing damage you cause some kind of crazy negative effect on them, like wrapping them in chains or putting them to sleep or slowing their time to a crawl.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Nah, I'm a dork who never defined that tag in those playbooks. "Debilitating" is exactly what it sounds like - it means instead of dealing damage you cause some kind of crazy negative effect on them, like wrapping them in chains or putting them to sleep or slowing their time to a crawl.

Oh, okay, neat. So a player who adds that tag to their Black Magic foregoes doing damage in order to debilitate their target in some way? Nice. Makes it even more flexible. If I wasn't GMing this campaign I'd be playing a Mage for sure.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Finally fulfilling my promise to post in this thread about the Friday night GenCon game. I'd read the rules months ago but never actually played. Ritorix did an awesome job of running the game, I had an absolute blast playing the Ranger, and I picked up a physical copy of the rules the next day. Next step will be running a campaign for some of my lapsed RPG playing buddies.

ritorix posted:

No one wants to piss off Death, and no one really wants to be the final minotaur, but given the choice, well...every single time I have ever run this, there has only been one survivor: the last minotaur. It makes for a hilarious end to a one-shot con game.

Yeah, the cascade of bad poo poo at the end made for a great one shot. I was desperately trying to figure out how to survive while not becoming the Minotaur, then realized "gently caress it, it's not a campaign, I'm cool with ending up as the Minotaur god of the goblins with a hotty princess and my pet cougar to keep me company".

quote:

Term of the night was "surprise bear". As in, surprise, that little bird that was on your shoulder is now a gigantic bear.

Surprise bear still makes me chuckle. The other quote I jotted down was "You get head butted in the rear end by a flaming, charging goat." (After Druid turned into a goat, got set on fire, and accidently(?) charged into the Barbarian).

quote:

Ranger failed to catch him, Minotaur failed to chop the ranger, so ranger killed the minotaur by stabbing him in the skull as he fell. We are now on Minotaur #4.

Like a loving boss.

quote:

Winner: Ranger.

Definitely a Phyrric victory, but I'll take it.

quote:

Death gave him the same offer and he told Death to go gently caress himself. He wrote "Most Metal Death Ever" in big letters across the character sheet and bid us farewell for the night.

:black101: Barbarian was hardcore, man :black101:

I may've been the only PC who never had to bargain with Death, my dice were hot all game. Think I only rolled <7 once all night.

Anyway, I'm definitely a convert to the system and am really pleased I got to play, it was at the top of my to-do list for GenCon. Thanks again for running the game Ritorix!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Thinking about it? Barbarian and Druid just did a lot of crap to each other all game.

Fire-headed goat druid head-butted Barbarian out the window.

Barbarian accidentally stabbed Druid with a flying dagger.

Barbarian was the one that got surprise bear'd the first time. (But being awesome, he only face-planted instead of being crushed).

It's a shame I couldn't stay until the end, but, man, was getting so tired.

I shall never forget KORGON THE MIGHTY.

And I'm REALLY happy I got to pick up a physical copy of the book, and play the game :D

I'm pretty sure I could form a group here, but we have like 4 different games running on the weekends @_@

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the way the playbooks look and I think they're obviously extremely usable as character sheets. But there are a few things for the setting I'm making that would necessitate my either editing playbooks for my players' chosen classes (which I'm not sure I have the chops to do and still have them look presentable) or have them making a mess of them by crossing out things like racial moves and replacing them with more setting-appropriate ones. Is there a nice, elegant way to do that? Or is there a blank character sheet that I'm just not finding my Google fumbling?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

All of my players' playbooks are crossed out, penciled in messes of custom moves and useless magic items. It seems to work out fine.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
:toot:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elmo Oxygen posted:

All of my players' playbooks are crossed out, penciled in messes of custom moves and useless magic items. It seems to work out fine.

Perhaps I'll just take a deep breath and embrace the chaos.

What a sexy, sexy cover.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 20, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"I went out and bought a copy the next day" is the best GM compliment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Is there a nice, elegant way to do that? Or is there a blank character sheet that I'm just not finding my Google fumbling?

Yes, use inDesign on the templates that are on the Dungeon World github and make your own PDFs with blank areas. :v:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm at work on the iPad so can't link but there's a link to a word doc method of empty character sheets to edit based off the blank Inkscape ones I put up for the forums. It's somewhere in the last two pages.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

I don't want to wait to touch that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not super sold on the back text size or the location of the "a Dungeon World supplement" on the front - the former comes too close to the characters and overlaps with the floating island, and the latter is just placed and spaced weirdly.

I'd recommend dropping the fond size on both, it might look better.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Yeah, putting A Dungeon World Supplement in one line might look a little better than splitting the line between Dungeon and World.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

ritorix posted:

Gen Con GoonWorld stuff

This sounds absolutely fantastic. Could I get some of your notes for the Heart of the Minotaur stuff?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not super sold on the back text size or the location of the "a Dungeon World supplement" on the front - the former comes too close to the characters and overlaps with the floating island, and the latter is just placed and spaced weirdly.

I'd recommend dropping the fond size on both, it might look better.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yeah, putting A Dungeon World Supplement in one line might look a little better than splitting the line between Dungeon and World.

I agree! I also had a bunch of comments on the update post about it with some good advice. This looks much better/more professional now:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

I agree! I also had a bunch of comments on the update post about it with some good advice. This looks much better/more professional now:

Now that is a sexy cover. I'm kinda regretting digital only at this point, but seeing as I've yet to find a physical copy of Dungeon World itself yet, I'm not too put out about it.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Now if only it comes out before classes start, I can try and start up a game with the DnD people...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That looks a million times better.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TheLawinator posted:

This sounds absolutely fantastic. Could I get some of your notes for the Heart of the Minotaur stuff?

Notes? Besides the one page of Heart of the Minotaur, there aren't any!

Offhand the only rooms I use from it are the entry, pool (fill with tentacle monster of choice), the trap, the temple, spider boat and lair at the end. Depending on how much time you have, start them off in town and send them towards the lair to rescue someone or whatever.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gnome7 posted:

As others have said, much improved on the original. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Speaking of which, does anyone have any cool Inverse World stories? I'm currently running and playing Inverse World. However, I have to point out that in the campaign I'm playing in my GM decided to throw out most of the established setting over something he considered cooler, i.e. a bunch of air-bubble worlds floating in an infinite ocean, each with their own sun in the middle of the air bubble. We've taken to calling it Immerse World whimsically, and it's basically Star Trek: TOS, except on a submarine instead of a spaceship, so lots of exploring uncharted oceans and boldly going where no one's gone before.

My character's a robot who once punched a kraken in the face. Also, he knows space-whale language.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Speaking of kickstarter, what's the story on Grim World? I notice they have shaman, Templar and slayer classes, are they related to the goon playbooks, or a separate project with similar names?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Speaking of kickstarter, what's the story on Grim World? I notice they have shaman, Templar and slayer classes, are they related to the goon playbooks, or a separate project with similar names?

I'm really only familiar with the Shaman, but the Grim World playbooks seem to be their own thing.

Grim World's not doing much for me, but I'm also sick of the bog-standard DARKER THAN THE DARKEST DARKNESS rpg stuff so folks should probably check it out for themselves.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Sage and Adam liked it, and there's a interesting thing they mention in the video called "death moves" that let you do stuff like put your soul in a magic item when you die.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sage and Adam liked it, and there's a interesting thing they mention in the video called "death moves" that let you do stuff like put your soul in a magic item when you die.

This first came out in The Regiment and it worked pretty cool, but not something you obviously want to happen.

Also the playbooks seem pretty different and only share names, although it looks like the Slayer's arsenal is taken wholesale from The Gladiator.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ratpick posted:

As others have said, much improved on the original. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Speaking of which, does anyone have any cool Inverse World stories? I'm currently running and playing Inverse World. However, I have to point out that in the campaign I'm playing in my GM decided to throw out most of the established setting over something he considered cooler, i.e. a bunch of air-bubble worlds floating in an infinite ocean, each with their own sun in the middle of the air bubble. We've taken to calling it Immerse World whimsically, and it's basically Star Trek: TOS, except on a submarine instead of a spaceship, so lots of exploring uncharted oceans and boldly going where no one's gone before.

My character's a robot who once punched a kraken in the face. Also, he knows space-whale language.

I'll post my trip report that I ran using only the classes and the blurb on Kickstarter.

quote:

Inverse World Trip Report!

Our regular monthly Pathfinder game was a few too many players short this evening, so instead our pathfinder GM asked if the others wanted to play Dungeon World instead. I was happy to GM, and asked if they wanted to play our regular DW game, or try something different. They were happy to try something different as a one-shot, so we looked through the Inverse World playbooks and a few others.

While I hunted down the Inverse World introductory text, the players created a Survivor named Roland, a Mechanic named Kellor, and a Treekin Giant named Eric.

The Players set bonds, and I read the Inverse World Blurb and got to asking questions.

The Treekin Giants were very rare, mostly only heard of as servants of nature in history, The Mechanic had a patchwork suit cobbled together from bits of ancient technology and his own inventions and the Survivor's island had turned on itself, society devolving into chaos.

I asked they group "You're all running away from some very angry villagers. What did you do to make them so angry?" The Mechanic was responsible for selling his dangerous and faulty inventions to the villagers, the survivor reminded them of something terrible, and the giant accidentally broke their sacred monument.

After a perilous run through a crevasse with rockfalls, the trio managed to hijack a skyship and escape the island, leaving the ship's captain and most of the crew behind. After some discussion, the trio bribed the 3 remaining crew with wealth and a magical item take them to Irongate, a nearby Island City.

Along the way, in the shadow of an island far below and through thick mists, sky pirates attacked from above, and were swiftly slaughtered by the Trio. After some further discussion, the plan to go to Irongate was abandoned, in favor of interrogating the location of the pirate's hideout from some surviving attackers, so the Trio could loot the pirate treasure, and perhaps steal a ship for themselves!

They gained some information about the hideout, that it was in an island that had 'flipped' centuries ago, plunging the forest into darkness and killing it, and dropping the town and it's citizens down into Sola. There was a narrow cave on the underside that lead to a cavern where the pirates had their own little town. The also were told that the pirate captain was both less and more than human.

The Trio hatched a plan for Eric the treekin to magically grow a path of trees on the underside of the island to make a walkway so they could sneak in, and the made it with a few close calls. During the infiltration of the cavern, the Survivor was doused in flammable alcohol, the Mechanic showed a proficiency for sneaking and starting fires, and the treekin a habit of jumping into the town center, and sending his carnivorous ambulatory luggage after terrified pirates. The rum-soaked Survivor was set on fire. a lot. And then had a building dropped on him. And then hit by a giant water barrell. A lot of this was thanks to the Mechanic.

After setting the town of fire, the Trio had sufficient distraction to find the Captain's manor and break in. Breaking in consisted of the Treekin smashing the door and most of the doorway into oblivion. As Eric entered, I described that the door and the furniture inside seemed too big for a normal person - and it turned out the Pirate Captain was a giant stone Jaguar Golem, that cold-cocked the treekin in the back of it's trunk.

A brutal fight broke out, and was finished after some savage blows when all three of the Trio hit the Jaguar at once, obliterating it and taking damage when exploded.

They then found the secret entrance to the Captain's Stash, navigated a few traps, and made off with an impressive haul.

They escaped the burning town and stole the largest, finest ship, rendezvoused with the sailors and the other ship, gave them some treasure and a sapling from the Treekin, and went to IronGate to get some answers about the strange artifacts they found in the Captain's treasure.

They now have an adventure to steal some sacred books, buy the help of a famous bard, and get a disgraced Lantern to help them bring Tree Life to the worldcrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
For reasons unclear to me, I was compelled to build a little dungeon world hack of my own over the past two weeks.

First readable draft.

Somewhere along the way I ended up eschewing class playbooks in favor of- presumably- just differing equipment and tactics, but I suspect it'll need work. I'm in the process of trying to make a little listing of items and tags, then on to defining monsters.