Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So I know it's like 10AM here in Australia, but I have to be persistent: Any Australians got confirmation they're playing the ROW version yet?

Well when I look for co-op games when I launch it, I can see US goons playing and can actually join them I believe. So I guess that's some confirmation? I haven't seen the 'banned' stuff yet probably because I'm not that far in, but I'm pretty confident in saying this is the ROW version, because last I checked we were banned from playing with everyone else for some dumb reason.

I'll be playing a fair bit more today and if I get to the naughty bits we're not allowed to see I'll post about it here.

Oh yeah and this game is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

WarLocke posted:

I vaguely remember someone saying way earlier before release that unlike having to come up with a new engine (?) and city like they had to for SRTT, for SR4 they could just take the Steelport and engine they already had and concentrate on just making loving awesome content.

It's pretty much what I hoped for.

That this would be SR1 --> to SR2 all over again.

Not saying SR3 was bad, but this is basically the same thing again with more polish and more fun things to do.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Rookersh posted:

Oh my god. I can tell I'm ahead of all of you, because nobody else has even spoilertalked about the Gat's mind level yet.

People are throwing around Citizen Kane of video games. Bullshit. That level is the Sistine loving Chapel of video games. It's pure art.

It gets better.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

serewit posted:

It gets better.

Seriously, I wouldn't have believed it if I weren't playing it myself, but this game is just not at all afraid to be crazy as gently caress, and I love it. Honestly it reads like somebody was reading this thread ever since SR3 and pulled every amazing wacky idea out and put it in the game. This game is officially amazing, the only thing that could ruin it for me would be a disappointing endgame, and I've already heard enough people saying that's amazing that I have no worries. I love this game. Volition are the best, and god bless Deep Silver for letting them do their thing.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

StashAugustine posted:

I just murdered a horde of Genki mascots with a pink shotgun while Saftey Dance played on the radio. Game of the loving Decade.

Same song, same event but a baseball bat instead. Flying Genki's by the dozen! Hilariously awesome.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So has anybody else had the sniper rifle disappear from Friendly FIre?

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
I was cluster hunting, and I just kinda landed on a billboard and got this view. It was a nice moment of rest from, well, Saints Row 4.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I think I'm going to check gamefaqs to see if anyone just absolutely hates this game and thinks it's a :siren: SLAP IN THE FACE :siren:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

President James Pligge. RIP enemies.

I really hope I find a good chest piece tattoo so I can make him properly.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Did I miss a tutorial pop-up somewhere?

I'm on the mission to kill Veteran Child and I got to the end, where there's the exclamation mark over his head, but no matter what I do to him, he just returns to that cowering position. I've shot, blasted, stomped, TK smashed, and super punched him for five minutes, and he just takes it like a bitch.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The Boss's face when you romance CID and it goes down on you will never not be funny.

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 21, 2013

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Shindragon posted:

It's pretty much what I hoped for.

That this would be SR1 --> to SR2 all over again.

Not saying SR3 was bad, but this is basically the same thing again with more polish and more fun things to do.

I think this pretty well sums it up. This is the game I'd been waiting for since last August, since I've been craving a superpowers thing. So far this is drat good - even for SR standards.
But yeah I think Shindragon sums it up in the above.

I hate that I work tomorrow.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Clitch posted:

Did I miss a tutorial pop-up somewhere?

I'm on the mission to kill Veteran Child and I got to the end, where there's the exclamation mark over his head, but no matter what I do to him, he just returns to that cowering position. I've shot, blasted, stomped, TK smashed, and super punched him for five minutes, and he just takes it like a bitch.

Try standing in front of his DJ table instead of in front of him. He was off to the right side for me and I couldn't get the prompt to show up until I was in front of the table, which is I guess where he's supposed to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never thought I would be so happy to hear What is Love again. I'm really not digging the french boss voice though. Russian boss was way better. It's only a mild niggle compared to the fact I am rolling with both Deckard AND Robocop's guns at the same time, along with the shotgun from Pulp Fiction. Game of the year.

e: When do I unlock the ability to taunt? I want to hear that dumb little jingle when I dance. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 21, 2013

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I have a quick mod related question. How do mods work with MP in this? I wanted to grab the mod off idolninjas site that makes it so you can customize any vehicle, but if that means every friend I play with has to have it as well I think I will hold off for the time being.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RBA Starblade posted:

I never thought I would be so happy to hear What is Love again. I'm really not digging the french boss voice though. Russian boss was way better.

Yeah, Russian voice is kind of hard to top. I'm totally fine with the French voice; I had to change my boss's look to make it stop sounding weird though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think I went overboard on side mission stuff and kinda finished the entire island worth of side missions. Not counting stuff like Statues and Text adventures etc... There are a few activities I would not like to repeat anytime soon.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

The Boss's face when you romance CID and it goes down on you will never not be funny.

Ball to Bioware to do a sendup in the next RPG to the Kinzie and CID comedy arr-pee options.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I never thought I would be so happy to hear What is Love again. I'm really not digging the french boss voice though. Russian boss was way better. It's only a mild niggle compared to the fact I am rolling with both Deckard AND Robocop's guns at the same time, along with the shotgun from Pulp Fiction. Game of the year.

e: When do I unlock the ability to taunt? I want to hear that dumb little jingle when I dance. :v:

If you aren't playing as Nolan North in a dress then what is wrong with you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

death .cab for qt posted:

If you aren't playing as Nolan North in a dress then what is wrong with you

That's my second run, because I'm expecting the script to be totally different.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RBA Starblade posted:

When do I unlock the ability to taunt? I want to hear that dumb little jingle when I dance. :v:

If you're playing with a controller, hold left or right on the d-pad. If you're using a keyboard I have no idea, sorry.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think you have to hold either left or right down on the D-Pad, which is confusing as they are what some of your powers are also mapped to. I was frantically trying to swap out my blast in the middle of a heated firefight and ended up doing the Macarena by accident.

So, you know, totally playing the game as it was supposed to be played.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

That's my second run, because I'm expecting the script to be totally different.

I have no idea if its very different, but there's a very weird pseudo self-awareness about it being a video game that just fits perfectly. Plus, hearing him talk about being covered in jizz. Not a phrase I was expecting out of his mouth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walrus Pete posted:

If you're playing with a controller, hold left or right on the d-pad. If you're using a keyboard I have no idea, sorry.

Controller, I tried that since that was how SR3 did it but that does nothing. I tried before even getting powers too, so I wasn't getting it confused.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
I just want to applaud Volition for making a game that's fun to run, jump, and drive around... I've found over 1000 data clusters already just leaping about the city reenacting my CoH days. :gonk:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RBA Starblade posted:

Controller, I tried that since that was how SR3 did it but that does nothing. I tried before even getting powers too, so I wasn't getting it confused.

Are you holding it long enough? That's definitely how I've been doing it.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

So I have to customize a car in my first sidequest?

:snoop:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Random thoughts:

- As someone who started with SR3, some of the things which I'm sure are throwbacks to the earlier games are falling flat for me. I don't blame the game for it; I'm actually quite happy that every time you free a homie, you get the Boss talking about what that person meant to the Saints and the Boss himself.

- I really, really loved Boss completely losing it when Matt suggested they don't rescue Gat.

- During the mission in which you free Matt, did anyone take the kill yourself and free humanity option, when two choices are offered? I didn't take the spoilered option, figuring it went against the Boss's MO of loyalty. Plus, I don't trust Zinyak worth a drat.

- I'm so digging Zinyak as a bad guy. Him joining in singing to Just A Friend was perfect, an effortless troll and reminder that he's still in charge.

- This is really weird, but going from SR3 to SR4, I can't help but think of playing Grand Theft Auto 2 for the first time. Both SR4 and GTA2 were darker, more vividly/unrealistically colored, and pushed a setting slightly more futuristic than the earlier ones.

- Yes, thanks, put interesting dialogue I want to pay attention to during a shootout. This occurs the most during the mission that involves bringing Gat up to speed on events. The Boss talking about meeting Oleg for the first time, and Gat's reaction was priceless. Of course, I missed the rest of it because I was trying not to die.

- I'm finding I'm not using a lot of the fancy/unique weapons, just like in SR3. Upgrade quickshot pistols, headshot everything, clean as a whistle for the most part.

- I'm growing on the super powers, but at the same time, part of me feels like it's cheating. Can't put it into words. I know it's a simulation and all that, so it's not super crazy, but still.

- There is no time during any mission that The Touch does not perfectly fit. Half the time I honestly assume that it's one of those times when the song is automatically selected.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I used a pulse :whatup:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

- During the mission in which you free Matt, did anyone take the kill yourself and free humanity option, when two choices are offered? I didn't take the spoilered option, figuring it went against the Boss's MO of loyalty. Plus, I don't trust Zinyak worth a drat.

The game makes fun of you, gives you a game over and you get a cheevo.

It is the best possible sendup of the ME3 ending.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Where do I get my preorder costumes and weapons? Sorry if this was asked multiple times.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
If anyone wants to play co-op on xbox live with a guy who's mic may or may not work, I'm about to get on! GT is Grem Legend

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

For those who have this on PC, what is the minimum gfx card that would play this at an acceptable rate? I checked Can I Run It, and while my card passes the minimum, I've also read other places that my card can NOT run it, either.

Note: When I say acceptable, I don't mean "Holy poo poo all the options maxed out with 230fps", I mean like, 30fps with modest settings(That are hopefully better than they are on the Xbox)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I could just super jump around all day.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm not sure, but be careful. I played for 4 hours today and then did some TF2 and the skybox was doing that thing where it stacks images of the surfaces over itself instead of the skybox, and that usually means my card is overheating. I have a decent card, so I encourage everyone to adjust fan speeds higher or play in short chunks. Don't wanna overheat somehow.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The Dubstep gun with explosive wubs and a few points in charge rules. It's not great against Wardens since by the time it spins up their shield is up again, but it's great for virus uploading.

Do the other Bosses get upset at Kinzie when she won't sing Paula Abdul with them? I assume so but it was pretty funny when French lady-boss got shot down. It sounded like she was about to cry.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 21, 2013

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I feel that this game is a lot LOT more like Crackdown than GTA now. I dont' remember SR2 having super powers and super collectibles like the Clusters everywhere.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, Crackdown is still one of my fav games. Just not what I was expecting

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
Throwing the ball in TK Mayhem is for suckers. Picking it up and running forward at the speed of sound through the city along sidewalks it the way men get it done.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
This game is really good. I especially loved the chain of rescue missions. Giant saint's flow can was pretty cool, and the fight against the default players from Saints Row 1 and 2 was hilarious. Of course Gat's mission was amazing too. Each quest is just so unique.

There's just so much writing in this game and pretty much all of it is good. Homies you take on missions will have chats with other homies. Dying in certain sections will trigger unique responses like the metal gear stage. Then there's the 7 different voice actors you can choose from that all have somewhat different lines and it's just crazy how much of it there is.

My only complaints so far are how some NPC lines can get repeated really quickly especially in protect missions, and some of the bosses are just bullet sponges. Like there's one that can heal, spawn lots of killbots, and takes hundreds of headshots to go down. That can get kind of dumb at times. Whatever. Who cares. Everything else is awesome.

shaitan posted:

I feel that this game is a lot LOT more like Crackdown than GTA now. I dont' remember SR2 having super powers and super collectibles like the Clusters everywhere.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, Crackdown is still one of my fav games. Just not what I was expecting

Yeah, somewhere between Crackdown and Prototype but with Saints Row's style.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So I don't think I'm playing the game how intended because right at the start I just hijacked a hoverbike and flew to the top of all the high towers you are supposed to run up with the super powers. Whoops.

• Locked thread