Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's Coyote's theory, and it is definitely an interesting one. Jones appears to be skeptical, or at least assumes it might be one possible explanation out of many but not the definitive truth.

I already gave my opinion on the whole "favorite chapter" thing mentioning the funny chapters I liked, but I kinda forgot to mention one of the most touching ones for me, the chapter with the psychopomps and the burned kid. Out of the "serious" chapters it has to be one of my favorites because of how emotional it is. I'm not one to weep or laugh out loud out of reading webcomics but that one came close to making me tear up a little, no kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

isasphere posted:

Going back to this, this is how I feel about the early chapters too. They were very unpolished and tentative compared to what the comic has become now, but the way Tom did the curious character design, the kind of simple backgrounds but very atmospheric angles and the careful choice of color palettes he used were what caught my attention at first and kept me reading until the story actually got rolling properly.

I actually liked better the art style where his lines were at their thickest and his character design had smoothed out, but before he started drawing Annie more like a young woman than as a child. Not that I don't like the improvements and the experimental touches he has more lately, mind.

It's just that now the art seems more... kind of standard, I guess? Really, really well done, but not as distinctive in style as it was earlier.

Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to hint at. Of course, the transitions away from childhood are masterfully done and I admire that as well, but that's not the point here.

I just feel that in the course of perfecting his technique, Tom has sacrificed some of his more playful, rough and unpolished creativity. It's just something to notice, not necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps he gets to experiment in other ways now.

I just get annoyed when people call the old head designs footballs and whatnot. I liked them just fine back then.

I like to regard the early art as Annie's perspective on the Court. Jagged, dark, unrefined. As she adjusts and grows, more light shines upon her world. Edges become smoother, teachers become persons and not caricatures, people become more than just shadows. Sure, that's me reading into it, but it fits.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rasselas posted:

I like to regard the early art as Annie's perspective on the Court. Jagged, dark, unrefined. As she adjusts and grows, more light shines upon her world. Edges become smoother, teachers become persons and not caricatures, people become more than just shadows. Sure, that's me reading into it, but it fits.

This is a very cool reading. Also, I agree with you about getting annoyed when people talk about how bad the art was at first. I also thought the art was fine.

I just really disagree with you about him sacrificing any kind of creativity. Can you specify what kinds of things you think were lost? I looked and compared similar chapters from the two periods (Divine to Power Station, Red Gets a Name to Red Returns, Great Secret to Coyote Stories), and all the things that strike me as creative and Gunnerkriggy are present in both. (Extremely expressive faces, color use, panel use)

I'm not trolling or anything. I am genuinely curious about why more recent Gunnerkrigg hits you as less creative.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Wittgen posted:

I'm not trolling or anything. I am genuinely curious about why more recent Gunnerkrigg hits you as less creative.

Boxbot's design is pretty terrible.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I wouldn't say that the early art is bad--it's unpolished, which has its benefits and drawbacks. What really appeals to me about the later art and bugged me about the early art is just the amount of work and thought that goes into every panel. On the (DANGER: GUNNERKRIGG LINK) first page, the first panel is really cool and atmospheric. The third is, well, strange and off-putting to me. The perspective makes no sense. The same thing happens to the study hall on the next page. The giant, plain-font text sign in particular feels not like an artistic choice, but a rush to get to the next panel. Contrasted with the most recent pages, every panel is interesting, detailed, and stands on its own.
As for the thing that was lost as the art developed, there's a kind of spooky quality to the early art that's enhanced by these less strictly realistic scenes, that makes things just feel somewhat askew of reality. Lots of shadows, lots of dramatic angles, lots of empty spaces. The Court just overall feels more foreboding. I suppose this also makes sense in terms of younger Annie's psyche.

There are obvious reasons for why perspective is improved and Tom puts more time and polish into each panel nowadays. Just giving my reasoning against the early style.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think it does fit Annie's psyche and perception of the Court then. As she grows taller, the corridors seem less vast and less empty. As she grows more confident, the court seems less spooky.

(Ever visited back a house you used to go to when you were a little kid, but haven't seen since? How everything is shrunk dramatically? I remember my grandparents' house this way: a large park with a forest turned into a small garden with four or five trees, a long corridor you could run a marathon into turned out to be maybe ten steps to walk down, a dozen guest bedrooms ended up being just three, and Ali Baba's cavern turned out to be just a small attic full of dusty old crates and bags containing magazines and broken toys.)

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Has Ysengrin always had one ear?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Abiggoat posted:

Has Ysengrin always had one ear?

Since his first appearance here, yes. Since his origin...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AE-35 Unit posted:

That panel is super menacing.

Especially because those stars look an awful lot like Ysengrin's memory-extracts...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parahexavoctal posted:

Since his first appearance here, yes. Since his origin...

Know that he once had all of Scotland hanging from his ear!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Fecha posted:

(DANGER: GUNNERKRIGG LINK) first page

Oh, come on! I had...nothing else to do and was planning on rereading all of GKC soon anyway, so thanks for that.

I haven't read all of this comic in one sitting before, and doing so now has lead to some interesting...observations I guess? The first thing I noticed was that the chapters actually feel kinda short when you're reading them straight through. They're complete affairs, or at least complete enough and tie up enough loose ends, but they just felt short for me. There's also tons of little hooks spread throughout the comic that raise a lot of questions. Not necessarily questions important to the story that Tom is telling, but questions about the world and how things and people work in it.

Finally, and most interesting for me, was the feeling of dread I felt as I was reading. Sure, there's some light-hearted moments, like almost all of Residential and Mort Fun Time, but aside from the obvious chapters and moments, there's a lot of little cues here and there that just felt really important in a way we don't know about yet, and not always in a good way. Things like this page in Blinking where both Annie and Renard take notice of Anja's necklace. Annie I can see why, she's good at noticing little things like that as long as she isn't distracted by something she thinks is more important. Renard though I'm not so sure. I suppose he is aware that that's the symbol Anja uses to bind him and protect against his possession, and that's going to cause at least a little curiosity. Anja still doesn't trust him, understandably so, and goes to a more private place before talking about how it's a link to her etheric computer and some of what that allows her to do. But then, of his own free will he doesn't try to eavesdrop on the conversation when it probably wouldn't be too hard for him to try if he wanted to. It feels like we're supposed to trust Renard, and there's a lot of words and actions on his part to back it up, recently and in the past, but there's just enough small things that make me question that trust. Not in a way that Renard is intentionally lying to Annie or falsely building people's trust right now, but in a way that Renard will, without thinking, react in an incredibly stupid and emotional way to some event in the future, kinda like what Annie did in Fire Spike.

It's things like this that make me hate following something as it comes out. Webcomics, TV shows, book series; anything that comes out in some form of episodic fashion makes me want to wait until it's finished so I can devour it all at once. Of course, I usually immediately regret finishing something the moment I'm done. I once read the second set of trilogies (Journey to Wudang by Kylie Chan) in just over 18 hours straight and, even though I had been up for almost 36 hours by that point I just couldn't get to sleep and wanted more. (Of course, going to her site I now see that she's published the first of the next(final?) trilogy to the series in Aus/NZ. :argh: To wait for the whole set to be out in the US, or to import them one by one as they get published in Australia...)

I get too wound up by stories, good or bad I just love hearing about them. :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know rereading some of the chapters, it occurs to me that Ysingrin probably had his memory wiped by Coyote after he found the tik-tok. The story presents itself as if he's lying about finding the tik-tok months after Annie had fallen down there. But perhaps Coyote took away his memory afterwards and made Ysingrin think that the tik-tok had been there for so long.

Of course this goes against Coyote's whole thing where he doesn't lie, but I'm sure there's some way of wording it to get around that

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Where Coyote would be lying, here, exactly? He never says anything about that, and we know that he very much lies by omission if he needs to. Everything is told by Ysengrin, and if he lies or get it wrong, well, how can Coyote be at fault?

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2013

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Macaluso posted:

Of course this goes against Coyote's whole thing where he doesn't lie, but I'm sure there's some way of wording it to get around that

"Who knows how long it's been there?! It looks like it's been months!"

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Blackheart posted:

Yyyyeah, she's not random at all. I know goons in general tend to shun things like "anime" and "lolrandom" on principle, but at least the second can be funny on occasion, when it's done well. But that's not here nor there since Red wouldn't qualify for "lolrandom" humor.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about them? I get that some readers were a bit bored with The Stone since maybe it was too slow for their liking.

That was pretty much my problem with The Stone, yeah. It was simply too much backtracking for my liking coupled with too little going on in the scenes being shown. A lot of the art was nice, sure, but being slowly drip fed like that for over two months was murder.

My problem with Divine was with the over-use of symbolism once Zimmy showed up. It was like The Lord of the Flies, but somehow even more obnoxious.

Sorry for the late reply, by the way. I've been gearing up to head back to college so I haven't been on much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rasamune posted:

"Who knows how long it's been there?! It looks like it's been months!"

Very weaselly. A rhetorical question does not affirm anything, so it is not a lie. The second sentence is a statement on the appearance, not on the actual duration, so it is not a lie either. It's misleading of course, but that's to be expected.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Wittgen posted:

This is a very cool reading. Also, I agree with you about getting annoyed when people talk about how bad the art was at first. I also thought the art was fine.

I just really disagree with you about him sacrificing any kind of creativity. Can you specify what kinds of things you think were lost? I looked and compared similar chapters from the two periods (Divine to Power Station, Red Gets a Name to Red Returns, Great Secret to Coyote Stories), and all the things that strike me as creative and Gunnerkriggy are present in both. (Extremely expressive faces, color use, panel use)

Partly, I may have exaggerated to get the point across. The other part is that I miss the creepy, weird feeling of unpolished art. It's like listening to a live performance of a song compared to a highly overproduced studio recording. Early Gunnerkrigg Court could have gone in different directions. It could've gone for the aesthetic and creepiness of Salad Fingers, or who knows where else! Rough art is when you're still discovering a style and anything is possible. Once you've discovered it, you can start polishing. I just find the rough discovery more potent, it doesn't mean that the polish is bad. There's discovery in so many other aspects of the comic, in how the plot is developed, the characters, how color is used, a whole bunch of other aspects that are highly creative. So I wouldn't say that Tom has sacrificed creativity, just that it's shifted to other things, once he found his style and voice. I can still be nostalgic for that raw phase where it could've gone anywhere.

Saying that GC is less creative nowadays would be pretty dumb. This is more of an observation of the shifts in the creative process.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So I noticed a thing:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=529

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=789

That symbol appears like a crown on Annie's head. Maybe its the symbol for fire elementals?

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

Super Waffle posted:

So I noticed a thing:

That symbol appears like a crown on Annie's head. Maybe its the symbol for fire elementals?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1040

It's a recurring thing at least.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
That was the symbol that appeared with the fire elemental in Fire Spike. Pretty sure it's just a thing that's associated with very hot people fire elementals.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Super Waffle posted:

So I noticed a thing:

Haha, now the ball is in the court of the one who has spent way too much time reading about alchemy in years past!

That crown is most likely this symbol;

The symbol of native antimony ("Régule d'Antimoine" in French). Native metal is metal found either pure or as an alloy rather than as an ore, in other words not requiring any purification to work.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ayo Tom Siddell when you gonna put more poo poo for sale? Stay dope.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Maybe it's my poor reading comprehension, but was there any specific tip-off to Annie that Ysengrin is losing his memory? He is being very non-chalant despite what happened previously, but he's had outbursts before that the characters no longer bring up.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

azurite posted:

Maybe it's my poor reading comprehension, but was there any specific tip-off to Annie that Ysengrin is losing his memory? He is being very non-chalant despite what happened previously, but he's had outbursts before that the characters no longer bring up.

Poor reaching comprehension considering Coyote quite literally removed his memory of attacking Annie.

e: Speaking of poor reading comprehension, I poorly read your message. I imagine Annie would be concerned by him being non-chalant after trying to eat her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The crown thing seems to be a very subtle, alchemy related way for Tom to tell us "this is Annie's true form", or that in the ether you are seen for what you really are. Pretty nifty.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The crown shows up when coyote is talking about Antimony's ancestors too: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=820

E. WHY AM I STILL READING I NEED TO SLEEP.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 21, 2013

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

e: nevermind, poor reading comprehension

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poor Ysen :(

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The saddest thing.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
This last panel makes me think Ysengrin doesn't even remember how he lost his ear. :ohdear:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Oh good I read so long that a new page showed up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gunnerkrigg is a certified :unsmith: to :smith: converter now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think he lost the ear to Coyote's memory-theft.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aww. The last pannel looks so sad. Coyote is a big jerk. :smith:
I really enjoy these backgrounds. This one is way prettier than the last chapter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tom's comment is the best. :3:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I really like how direct this is. I thought there would be more beating around the bush and misunderstandings then this before Annie finds out the memory loss thing.

Also everything about Ys is ten times sadder because really when I look at his face I just see a big fluffy sad dog. :smith:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I just can't see how this serves Coyote to be honest. Just a means of controlling the guy who is super loyal to him? Maybe he would be less loyal with his memories I guess.

:smith:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Laser Cow posted:

I just can't see how this serves Coyote to be honest. Just a means of controlling the guy who is super loyal to him? Maybe he would be less loyal with his memories I guess.

:smith:

Gods must feed upon the choicest of morsels. :unsmigghh:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Dumb-rear end prediction caused from lack of no sleep: This isn't actually Ysengrin, it's Coyote. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jetamo posted:

Dumb-rear end prediction caused from lack of no sleep: This isn't actually Ysengrin, it's Coyote. :tinfoil:

That's what people say every chapter.