Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

John's definitely not stupid, but he is adorably goofy and awkward. That's why I'm super excited for his upcoming conversation with Roxy, which might just be the awkwardest conversation in paradox space (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Roxy is the only good Beta Kid.

The beta kids are the original four, Roxy and co. are the alpha kids.

Yeah, I prefer saying B1 and B2 kids.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dark Grapefruit posted:

The beta kids are the original four, Roxy and co. are the alpha kids.

Yeah, I prefer saying B1 and B2 kids.

You know what I have to say to this? gently caress the police, that's what. They're Beta kids cuz they came second, narratively. :colbert:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Apropos of nothing, hey guys Homestuck Vol. 9 is still really good

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of volumes, when the gently caress is the next Homestuck book coming out? I needs me some more author commentary.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of volumes, when the gently caress is the next Homestuck book coming out? I needs me some more author commentary.

I stopped reading before Homestuck books were a thing and have been wondering since I got back on board how the hell those work exactly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

I stopped reading before Homestuck books were a thing and have been wondering since I got back on board how the hell those work exactly.

Well, it'll be harder to pull off with later Acts that are more more flash-heavy, but the books are direct translation of the first few Acts to paper. Animated gifs are translated as multiple frames, and the first walkaround flash (where John wanders his house and WV issues commands) shows the highlights.

There's several neat things about them:
- The edges of the pages are colored with the chat color of the "main character" for that section. You can tell by looking at the closed book where Dave's section is.
- Hussie put author commentary on the bottom of most of the pages. Sometimes they're comments about things he planned and discarded. Sometimes they're behind-the-scenes glimpses of his insane amount of foreshadowing and planning. Sometimes they're just snarky comments about parts he now finds incongruous or dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And my copy got misprinted, so it jumps back half an act during Dave's section... to the same temporal point, just from John's PoV.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jane posted:

Our children will rule the empire when we are gone, which of course will be never, because we will be eternally young and beautiful and immortal and in love, for ever and ever.
I think the Condesce MIGHT have dead-psiionic-and-sassacre issues.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

reignonyourparade posted:

Aaaand how!

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I started imagining Jake wearing Princess Leia's slave bikini and now I can't stop. It's unpleasant. He keeps blowing his nose on the skirt.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It does fit with Meenah's personality. She's rude, dismissive, or outright aggressive toward most people but when she gets attached to someone she really hates letting them go. See: begging John not to let her steal the Ring of Life so she could stay with Aranea and Vriska. If what we've seen of Condy throughout Act 6 is any indication that's most likely one of many things she has in common with... well, herself.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That's a depressing character trait to have considering the biological facts of troll lifespans and her place amongst them. Frankly it's no wonder how The Condence turned out.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

That's a depressing character trait to have considering the biological facts of troll lifespans and her place amongst them.

If only she had some sort of ability to counteract this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Freudian posted:

If only she had some sort of ability to counteract this.

Like maybe the ability to :unsmigghh: kill everyone before she gets attached to them!

Yes, I believe we've made a breakthrough in our understanding of the Condesce.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Iny posted:

Speaking of this, where the gently caress are the new albums? Last album was in March and despite loving a good 80% of all Homestuck music ever made, I'm still aching for a new volume of anything. It's not like the Homestuck hiatus needs to mean the music team takes a break too. At least, as far as I know, the music team loves to just constantly make music and can take whatever breaks they want whenever they want anyway? Unless I'm completely wrong about this, I can only assume there's a huge buildup of mp3s waiting to get sold on bandcamp. Maybe someone in the team can fill me in on how wrong I am?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Iny posted:

It really is!

Seriously though, i'm starting to wonder where all the new albums are, too. I wonder if we'll get one more album when Homestuck ends, and that will be it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Updates have slowed down, and some of the musicians are busy with projects of their own, like Radiation's Kickstarter.

I've tried commissioning an album's worth, but the process has gotten slow and I'm not rushing an artist on any piece I haven't yet paid for.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dorroile posted:

Seriously though, i'm starting to wonder where all the new albums are, too. I wonder if we'll get one more album when Homestuck ends, and that will be it.

Last I heard that was the plan, yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The past year or so it has felt like Hussie has distanced himself from the other "teams" that used to be involved. For the art team it was after Cascade, and for the music team it was around when solo album month got started. I don't know if this was planned or just kind of how things developed, but it just feel like most other people involved outside of Hussie have moved on. They pumped out a crazy amount of music for 3 years so it's kind of understandable that at some point it would slow down. I hope that there was no internal discord, at least.

Another thing is that a lot of the releases and albums had themes to go along with new developments. Volume 8 for Cascade, Volume 9 for the B2 kids, Cherubs/Trolls/Exiles getting their own releases, etc. But nothing really "new" has been introduced that I think the team could latch onto as a theme without just retreating older ideas.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 20, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Let's not forget that it took 1,326 years for her to make it back to Alternia after the Vast Glub, travelling at near-lightspeed. That's a long drat time to be the only person in the universe.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Let's not forget that it took 1,326 years for her to make it back to Alternia after the Vast Glub, travelling at near-lightspeed. That's a long drat time to be the only person in the universe.

Man if only she hadn't eradicated all the intelligent species she came across with her legions of fanatical minions. Well, hindsight and all that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Seoinin posted:

Man if only she hadn't eradicated all the intelligent species she came across with her legions of fanatical minions. Well, hindsight and all that.
Doesn't matter, even those species would have died by the Glub.

Edit: I guess I can't find any citation that the Glub killed all living beings. I wonder why I thought it did... weird.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 20, 2013

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe. The glub was specified to kill every troll in the galaxy (except for her, as it turned out) it's possible that it wasn't attuned to other species. Ether way, a hole in Snowman's chest eliminated whatever snowball's chance they had.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

I hope that there was no internal discord, at least.

Well there was that one guy, the one who turned out to be kind of dysfunctional? I remember people were annoyed that hussie went and changed the music on several flashes after the guy melted down and left.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bill Bolin. Yeah, there was certainly that though that was pretty long ago. I meant more in the post-Cascade period. I think it's more likely some folks just moved on, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DaveKap posted:

Doesn't matter, even those species would have died by the Glub.

Wasn't it said that she tried to recreate the troll species several times, and that each time there was another glub to kill her experiments? It was my impression that this keep-happened while she was on Earth, including before humanity went fully extinct. I might have read that wrong but I think the killing glub is a troll thing.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Time for the SHOUNEN TRAINING ARC!
or for hussie to just jump cut to something else and then reference the training we'll never get to see, one of the two

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Once more, Roxy proves herself to be The Best Kid.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

krakagar posted:

Once more, Roxy proves herself to be The Best Kid.

She really does. She's the best.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So this is what two sane people having a conversation is like.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Silly John, you don't know anything about that. You only ever stumble into new powers like a big goof.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Silly John, you don't know anything about that. You only ever stumble into new powers like a big goof.

Which will end up being his advice, as opposed to focusing and trying super hard like Roxy's been doing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Fancy that, John's meeting up with an unseen riddler.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nighthand posted:

Riddlers you say

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think it is pretty interesting that we have a reference to a sphinx here. Other than asking riddles, the sphinx is most famous for being involved in the story of Oedipus. And John is in a pretty Oedipal position here, since he seems to be (as others have suggested) about to romance a woman who is (in a different timeline), his father's partner.

And if we want to get really esoteric (and if we don't, why are we reading Homestuck), Nietzsche's description of the myth of Oedipus is that only Oedipus, a man "outside of nature" (because he murders his father and marries his mother) can solve the riddle of the sphinx. And John Egbert is also the man outside of nature, since he has escaped the bonds of narrative causality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I think it is pretty interesting that we have a reference to a sphinx here. Other than asking riddles, the sphinx is most famous for being involved in the story of Oedipus. And John is in a pretty Oedipal position here, since he seems to be (as others have suggested) about to romance a woman who is (in a different timeline), his father's partner.

And if we want to get really esoteric (and if we don't, why are we reading Homestuck), Nietzsche's description of the myth of Oedipus is that only Oedipus, a man "outside of nature" (because he murders his father and marries his mother) can solve the riddle of the sphinx. And John Egbert is also the man outside of nature, since he has escaped the bonds of narrative causality.

I am genuinely pissed off that this makes sense.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nighthand posted:

Somebody needs to count how many loving references to the title screen that makes now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oedipal themes are all over Homestuck, because the surviving Oedipus stories liberally stole from the best parts of each other and from a related cycle of myths and legends, and because Homestuck liberally steals from that milieu and many stories that were inspired by it.

If it were just a straight-up retelling of Oedipus, then pretty soon we could expect John's dad and Jane's dad to kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So Roxy needs to be more creative and is hiding in a fort? We know one way to max out your imagination stat...