Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

When D. W. Griffith made Intolerance, was it more like "Hey, sorry for being so racist with A Birth of a Nation, let's talk about how intolerance is bad," or was it more like "Ugh, why are you all being so intolerant of me? Let me show you how bad you are for being intolerant of my racism!" (a.k.a., the Orson Scott Card approach)? I've heard both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It could've been filmed from the back of a truck, and then the image stabilized in post later.

It does have that weird fluidity to that stabilized video has.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How would you stabilize it in post?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

effectual posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZploGEADsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-leRJUVjc

From what I understand, video editing software (via a plugin or w/e) does edge detection to identify persistent objects within each video frame and analyzes the movement or w/e of the camera, then modifies the video frame by frame to maintain smooth movement.

A side effect is that the result may be cropped a bit, depending on how much camera movement there was.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

effectual posted:

You track certain elements during the shot, and then use a software package (or by hand, if you're adventurous) to smooth the motion. A tracked point may start at location X/Y, and then end at another X/Y location, but between those two points it jumps all over the place because of camera movements, prop movements, character movement, etc etc. The software will then try to plot a smoother path for that point, so to the viewer it will eventually appear as smooth, judder free movement. Of course, you have to do this dozens, or hundreds of times for a long shot, smoothing bits here and there and making sure they all work together.

The tech's getting more advanced all the time though. Even Youtube now has an option to auto-smooth camera motion when you upload a vid. Sometimes it works and give good results, other times..... it makes it looks like the walls are melting and your dropping acid.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sometimes it works and give good results, other times..... it makes it looks like the walls are melting and your dropping acid.

Result of stabilizing footage with a heavy rolling shutter.

Anyway, as others have said the shot is truck + some kind of physical stabilization, most likely a steadicam. I don't think there was any post stabilization in this case.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

other times..... it makes it looks like the walls are melting and your dropping acid.

I'd love to see an example. Also, did people manually do this way back when? Or just not bother?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do they do those shots where an actor appears to be in place, but everything around him moves as he walks? "Inside Man" had one of these.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Steadicam mounted on the actor and pointing at their face.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Doesn't Spike Lee actually put the actor on a dolly so that they aren't even walking?

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

Snak posted:

Doesn't Spike Lee actually put the actor on a dolly so that they aren't even walking?

I think the dvd has a behind the scenes clip and it is precisely that. Denzel just standing on a cart with a camera in his face as hes being pulled along for the shot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Yep.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Sharknado what I keep seeing referenced everywhere? I had it figured for a lovely made for ScyFy, or whatever they call themselves now, movie. Figured I'd give it a watch if nothing else was on or I needed to pick an awful movie for date night. I've been hearing a bunch of shark references on morning news programs though, and none of them have anything to do with Shark Week. :stare: I figure I owe it to myself to see whatever it is that has morning news using memes all of a sudden, but I'm not sure if it's Sharknado or not.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah it's Sharknado.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I passed a flower store the other day that mentioned something about Sharknado baked goods or something on its sign? It's gotten more press than other Asylum films for whatever reason.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well drat, I guess they finally struck gold. Suppose I'd better see it as soon as I can.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
You don't need to see it. The movie doesn't do anything better than what the title already does. Asylum movies are boring-bad not fun-to-watch-bad.

Asylum is a bit like The Onion in that regard; often you only need the headline and you got everything out of the joke worth getting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Onion is not like that at all.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

effectual posted:

I'd love to see an example. Also, did people manually do this way back when? Or just not bother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-UOqYbOrQA

This is an example of a stabilized video filmed with a mobilephone. You can see some of the warping in the background.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monkeyseesaw posted:

You don't need to see it. The movie doesn't do anything better than what the title already does. Asylum movies are boring-bad not fun-to-watch-bad.

...unless you're with friends ready to make fun of it the whole time. But yeah, trying to enjoy it alone, especially stone sober, is probably not worth it.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Trump posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-UOqYbOrQA

This is an example of a stabilized video filmed with a mobilephone. You can see some of the warping in the background.

Just chiming in to say that I do a lot of stabilizing and VFX and what you're seeing there isn't necessarily a byproduct of a rolling shutter. It happens with any cheap/quick single pass 2D stabilization on very shaky or complex movement.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Snak posted:

This has long been one of his visual trademarks. I hate the effect and can't think of any other director who does it this way off the top of my head. Completely different look from what you get mounting the camera to the actor.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

effectual posted:

Before computers did it you had to get it in camera. It's why the operators are some of the highest paid guys on a crew. Dolly grips and crane/jib guys also make a lot. Smooth camera moves have always been tough. The Steadicam was a HUGE, revolutionary innovation. So was "moco" (preprogrammed motion controlled by electronics).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Five Cent Deposit posted:

This has long been one of his visual trademarks. I hate the effect and can't think of any other director who does it this way off the top of my head. Completely different look from what you get mounting the camera to the actor.
Yeah, I don't know if he's said so in as many words, but he has said that Mean Streets (1973) is one of the films that has inspired him the most, so that suggests that the `Rubber Biscuit' sequence is where Lee got the gimmick. And in Mean Streets it was done by strapping a camera to Keitel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ynohtna posted:

The proper term for this is Snorricam thank you very much.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Spermando posted:

How do they do those shots where an actor appears to be in place, but everything around him moves as he walks? "Inside Man" had one of these.

The usual term for this is "SnorriCam", by the way.

...and also,

Purple Gromit posted:

He's completely wrapped in thick rope from his ankles to his shoulders. That's a lot harder to break than the one chain link he breaks at the start.

I'm not denying that this is a true fact, but is that really the reason? The film isn't mundane and logical like that. It seems weird to focus so carefully on One breaking out of things and then when there's a golden opportunity to show his stuff, there isn't even a hilarious joke to explain why he can't this time. I'd buy "One is too sad to even try to escape" over that.

qntm fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 22, 2013

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Onion is not like that at all.

I disagree!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I used to read it faithfully back in the 90s or whatever but it eventually became clear that they did such a good job titling the articles that actually reading them became redundant. In most cases.

I mean, I had to know what was going on with Jim Anchower, and Herbert Kornfeld and so forth but it got to the point where the premises, while often brilliant and hilarious, pretty much laid it all out. Which is actually a hallmark of good reporting. :shrug:

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I used to read it faithfully back in the 90s or whatever but it eventually became clear that they did such a good job titling the articles that actually reading them became redundant. In most cases.

I mean, I had to know what was going on with Jim Anchower, and Herbert Kornfeld and so forth but it got to the point where the premises, while often brilliant and hilarious, pretty much laid it all out. Which is actually a hallmark of good reporting. :shrug:

The Onion lost a lot of gravitas after its editor T. Herman Zweibel rocketed off into space. I miss those articles most of all.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Chrtrptnt posted:

I think the dvd has a behind the scenes clip and it is precisely that. Denzel just standing on a cart with a camera in his face as hes being pulled along for the shot.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The proper term for this is Snorricam thank you very much.

Ah cool. I love replacing my vague ignorance with proper info. Cheers, folks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DetoxP posted:

When D. W. Griffith made Intolerance, was it more like "Hey, sorry for being so racist with A Birth of a Nation, let's talk about how intolerance is bad," or was it more like "Ugh, why are you all being so intolerant of me? Let me show you how bad you are for being intolerant of my racism!" (a.k.a., the Orson Scott Card approach)? I've heard both.

I'm not a serious Griffith scholar, but I'd steer closer to the former.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Griffith's racism is an interesting subject. He was essentially a liberal reform-type guy who wanted social progress and world peace and compassion for the poor and so on, but he was also a proud Southerner who absorbed most of the racial prejudice of his time. He had sort of a paternalistic view of black people, he "loved" them but thought they obviously clearly weren't yet the equal of the white man (though he did have a very kneejerk fear of miscegenation.) He actually at one point thought of adding a postscript to Birth of a Nation showing the "progress" of the Negro since Reconstruction, like they weren't ready for the vote back then but were much better now.

With Intolerance he shows more of his compassionate reformer side and less of the Dixiecrat.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not a serious Griffith scholar, but I'd steer closer to the former.

The specific story according to The Whole Equation, a book that covers early Hollywood, is that Griffith was actually somewhat unaware of how his film was received - or that he had even made something so virulently racist in tone. It was only after one of his help, who had become a good friend to DW in the time he had worked for him, had seen it and asked Griffith "why on earth did you make that?" that Griffith became aware of what he had done. Intolerance was his apology to black people, and him saying in absolute terms that he was not racist.

My favorite story about Birth of A Nation is that it was the first movie that Louis B. Mayer ever distributed, and he bought the New England distribution rights to it without seeing the drat thing himself. But without it, he probably wouldn't have made the money to eventually make Metro Pictures and Mayer Pictures, which would eventually lead to the existence of MGM. A hell of a chance to take.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I've always thought Griffith was rattled by the realization that he WAS a white supremacist, and many of his films straight on til Abraham Lincoln sort of walk on eggshells because he was afraid to let loose his id.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I had a documentary in my netflix queue but I can't find it now and it's driving me crazy. It had a foreign name for the title, which may have started with a S or a B. It was something about people living in a trash and garbage dumps, or just living in hellish places. I *know* it is NOT Waste Land. It looked very bleak and I wanted to see it, but kept putting it off. Now, I can't remember it and can't find it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

I had a documentary in my netflix queue but I can't find it now and it's driving me crazy. It had a foreign name for the title, which may have started with a S or a B. It was something about people living in a trash and garbage dumps, or just living in hellish places. I *know* it is NOT Waste Land. It looked very bleak and I wanted to see it, but kept putting it off. Now, I can't remember it and can't find it.

Is it The Tijuana Project?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

I've always thought Griffith was rattled by the realization that he WAS a white supremacist, and many of his films straight on til Abraham Lincoln sort of walk on eggshells because he was afraid to let loose his id.

IMDB says one of his 1911 Biograph films had the Klan as the villains of the story. :psyduck:

I can't find anything detailed on it, nor on YouTube, so it may be apocryphal. Although, I did find that Griffith was portrayed by Charles Dance in the movie Good Morning, Babylon.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

IMDB says one of his 1911 Biograph films had the Klan as the villains of the story. :psyduck:

I can't find anything detailed on it, nor on YouTube, so it may be apocryphal. Although, I did find that Griffith was portrayed by Charles Dance in the movie Good Morning, Babylon.

The thing about Birth Of A Nation is that it's based on The Clansman, which was an incredibly popular play that argued for the importance of segregation. It's why this idea that Griffith was somehow caught off guard by accusations of racism were always suspect to me. He knew why that play was so popular and knew what he was doing when he made that film.

I always saw his post Nation career as him coming to terms with being wrong, but it's hard to say.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not apocryphal, the film you're describing is The Rose of Kentucky, and it still exists. I don't know of any home video release that includes it, but I've seen it at a screening of Griffith's Biograph shorts (or rather a tiny fraction of them). It's basically a romance---farmer pines for girl, girl pines for younger field hand, a gunbattle ensues, younger field hand turns out to be a coward, farmer does not, farmer ends up with the girl. The gunbattle ensues when the Klan show up to strongarm the farmer for not wanting to join them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

There's also a few shorts where the Union are the heroes, but they don't have any charge to them. He can't find any romance in the Union army.