Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

`Nemesis posted:

Actually thinking that the MSF ARC will be on my agenda for spring... has anyone taken that class? Is it good?
The MSF Advanced Riders Course is very similar to the BRC; but you do all the tests at higher speed and on your own, personal bike. If you need a refresher on safety and feel like some time with a riding coach would help you a bit, go for it. Otherwise, just find a big church parking lot on a non-church day and get in some practice on emergency braking, swerving, and low-speed maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
For me, the ARC was more like BRC 1.5. You never get above 15mph or leave the parking lot. A few tips on swerving but all the drills are pretty lame. I won't say it's not worth taking but it didn't meet my expectations.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Some loose gravel decided to gently caress me over.

As for the damage to myself. Nothing major, some scratches, bruises and cuts. My left thumb is the only part that could be broken, it's in a splint for a week and I've got an appointment to go back once the swelling has gone down.

I gotta be honest, I'm kind of hoping I can get the bike written off. With GAP, I'll get virtually all of the original value back which I'll spend on doing my DAS and getting a second-hand 600/650.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Oh mate, gutted :(

Good plan on DAS, though. I feel far safer on my Bandit 650 than I ever did tooling around on 125s in my younger days. And although more difficult to get to grips with at lower speeds, once you're there, it's effortless whether you're doing 5 mph or 95. And it ain't too bad for the few seconds in between ;) I actually miss my DAS lessons, going to hit up my instructor for some advanced lessons soon I think.

Hope you heal up soon.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Motsew posted:

As for the damage to myself. Nothing major, some scratches, bruises and cuts. My left thumb is the only part that could be broken, it's in a splint for a week and I've got an appointment to go back once the swelling has gone down.

I gotta be honest, I'm kind of hoping I can get the bike written off. With GAP, I'll get virtually all of the original value back which I'll spend on doing my DAS and getting a second-hand 600/650.

Just rip the fairings off, stick on a round headlight, put on a new exhaust and a cafe style rear cowl and seat and rock that thing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Motsew posted:

Meant in the least dickish way possible, and hoping that you'll learn from the experience: Gravel didn't gently caress you over.

You hosed yourself over when you didn't know how to deal with gravel.

I could be wrong since you didn't go into details, but new bike, L plates, new rider....all signs point to you. Gravel is an issue, sure, but it doesn't cause instant crashes.

You didn't come off too bad here, splinted thumb and busted bike. If you want to become a better rider you should look at the mistakes you made going into the crash, even if some aspects of the crash were out of your control.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
So, I had an off yesterday.

I was leaving the parking lot at work, and as best I can remember, I clipped the curb at the end of the driveway, lost control, and high-sided. Woke up being loaded into the ambulance, everything before that is somewhat fuzzy. Chalk it up to pilot error due to fatigue (was working late + not much sleep, it's performance-review time).

My gear did its job, was wearing a scorpion EXO700 helmet (obviously toast), AGV jacket, Gaerne boots, Cortech gloves and a pair of kevlar-lined jeans and got out of it with a concussion, sore knees, a fat lip, and a cut on my chin where it hit the chinbar. Got out of the hospital the same night. My bike (2006 EX250) isn't in quite as good shape, it looks like the front fairing is done and I'll need new turn signals + a new windshield too, and that's just the obvious damage. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a decent camera (and I'm at work).

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

sectoidman posted:

I was leaving the parking lot at work, and as best I can remember, I clipped the curb at the end of the driveway, lost control, and high-sided. Woke up being loaded into the ambulance, everything before that is somewhat fuzzy. Chalk it up to pilot error due to fatigue (was working late + not much sleep, it's performance-review time).

My gear did its job, was wearing a scorpion EXO700 helmet (obviously toast), AGV jacket, Gaerne boots, Cortech gloves and a pair of kevlar-lined jeans and got out of it with a concussion, sore knees, a fat lip, and a cut on my chin where it hit the chinbar. Got out of the hospital the same night. My bike (2006 EX250) isn't in quite as good shape, it looks like the front fairing is done and I'll need new turn signals + a new windshield too, and that's just the obvious damage. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a decent camera (and I'm at work).

How fast were you going? Glad you're alright, sounds like it could have been a bad one.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

How fast were you going? Glad you're alright, sounds like it could have been a bad one.

I honestly don't remember, but based on the scrapes on the ground and on my helmet + the rest of my gear, I'm guessing probably about 15-20mph.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

sectoidman posted:

Given you don't remember anything, how do you feel about getting back on a bike?

How long did they keep you in the hospital and where do you live?

Did you have "in case of emergency" info anywhere on your bike/helmet?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Stugazi posted:

Given you don't remember anything, how do you feel about getting back on a bike?

How long did they keep you in the hospital and where do you live?

I'm already planning on fixing up the damage to the 250 (as it turns out, mostly cosmetic - the upper front fairing and windscreen are trashed, and the forks + handlebars are tweaked, but other then that the bike seems fine) and want to continue riding; I'll probably wait a few weeks until all my replacement gear + parts for the bike arrive and I'm fully recovered. Mostly, I'm sad that I'm missing out on the awesome weather we've been having (Portland, OR).

I actually got out of the hospital within two hours; they gave me a CT scan (no obvious damage), a tetanus shot, and some aspirin, and told me to take it easy for a few days. My neck and throat are a bit sore, so I think I've also got a bit of whiplash, but for the most part, I'm back to normal. What bothers me the most is that I still can't remember the accident, and it seems like I must have made a pretty dumb mistake (that I'd like to avoid repeating).

quote:

I actually carry most of that stuff (medical + auto insurance cards and contact info) in my wallet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stugazi posted:

I thought about this a few days ago.. Isn't one of the first rules of emergency response to motorcycle accidents to never remove the rider's helmet?

If so, isn't it kind of stupid to have the ICE/medical card inside the helmet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

I thought about this a few days ago.. Isn't one of the first rules of emergency response to motorcycle accidents to never remove the rider's helmet?

If so, isn't it kind of stupid to have the ICE/medical card inside the helmet?

I think they can remove your helmet once you're stabilized. That's when they'll really care about your ICE card anyway.

I like the Teiz suits with the emergency information pouch on the shoulder.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, I very much doubt they are going to be worried about who to call until they have you stabilized and on the way to the hospital. Eventually they will remove the helmet and it's as good a place as any to keep your ICE info. I have mine on a card in my wallet. I used to keep it in my phone until I realized that the passcode may prevent them from you know, getting to them :downs:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was taught (EMT) to remove the helmet if you need to, for a compromised airway or something. But, if they're breathing and the face and cranium are most likely intact, then you leave the helmet on, because it is a fantastic way to stabilize the head to a board. Most helmets even lift the head enough to make it super easy to maintain a clear airway.

Once you're in the hospital I don't know.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I assume this is old news for some people but I just learned about it recently. There's a device made for use by EMTs at tracks that forces a helmet off from inside the helmet using compressed air. Just an airbag you slip in the helmet and leave a little tube hanging out for the medics to hook the air up to. No need to move necks around. It's required at LRRS events at NHMS apparently. Brilliant idea. Course it only works with track EMTs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That's brilliant.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

My MSF instructor gave me a "DO NOT REMOVE HELMET FROM RIDER" sticker with my certificate. It's pretty small and I'm not sure if anyone would read it, but it can't hurt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm a ski patroller where every year we get told to either remove or not remove helmets depending on the current whims of our docs. Odds are good if you are careful removing a helmet you won't do any further damage. Remember if they aren't breathing or don't have a good airway you gotta get that helmet off.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

n8r posted:

I'm a ski patroller where every year we get told to either remove or not remove helmets depending on the current whims of our docs. Odds are good if you are careful removing a helmet you won't do any further damage. Remember if they aren't breathing or don't have a good airway you gotta get that helmet off.

Sooner or later the helmet will have to be removed. That's the only way to carry out primary and secondary survey of the victim. The correct technique for helmet removal requires two competent persons using this method: http://www.facs.org/trauma/publications/helmet.pdf

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I wonder if eventually the airbag helmet removal thing will be in all helmets.
That would make it a poo poo load easier if they just have to hook their pump to it and have it off in a few seconds. Doubt it would add much cost to the helmet once they become commonplace.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I don't see how the airbag doesn't apply pressure to the head while it's removing it, and wouldn't that just make the helmet harder to remove?

e: I see, it goes on the top of the head, was wondering how something along the side or back would work. Problem solved.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A lot of race helmets already have the tab that you pull and the helmet comes apart. That seems a lot simpler than the airbag setup. Not like you're gonna be re-using the helmet anyway.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Here's what I want:

http://www.gizmag.com/voztek-rear-entry-helmet/19637/

http://voztec.com/helmets/road/snakewind/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I kind of want that too. No more taking off specs to go into a helmet.

No idea how I'd wire my Sena into it though. Maybe up and over my head.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

I think you just go to a gay bar for a rear-entry helmet. Dunno if you'll get the Polish gentleman specifically to do it, though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So today I crashed the bike again. But some information first...
I had to be in Boston by around 7AM and that is a 1hr and 30 minute trip for me, so I wanted to leave by 5 AM to give me some leave way just in case Boston traffic got worse. For some stupid reason I woke up at 330 in the moring, ate, dressed up and drove to Boston.

I start heading back by 1PM and decided to get out of the interstate and into a highway. Instead of taking it easy I was driving rather recklesly, I din't apply enough brakes and I was fixated on the center island.

See Figure 1:

With a jump that killed the rest of my forward momentum I landed in the center of the grassy island. The landing was rough as gently caress and I proceeded to drop the bike on its right side.

No mechanical damage to the bike and I was OK. I am really REALLY motherfucking happy I didn't T-bone an upcoming car.

But overall the entire experience was loving embarrassing :cripes:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I had to be in Boston by around 7AM and that is a 1hr and 30 minute trip for me, so I wanted to leave by 5 AM to give me some leave way just in case Boston traffic got worse. For some stupid reason I woke up at 330 in the moring, ate, dressed up and drove to Boston.

I start heading back by 1PM and decided to get out of the interstate and into a highway. Instead of taking it easy I was driving rather recklesly, I din't apply enough brakes and I was fixated on the center island.

See Figure 1:

With a jump that killed the rest of my forward momentum I landed in the center of the grassy island. The landing was rough as gently caress and I proceeded to drop the bike on its right side.

No mechanical damage to the bike and I was OK. I am really REALLY motherfucking happy I didn't T-bone an upcoming car.

Ghost of Mootmoot?

I'm glad you and the bike are mostly okay. What happened to the seat?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Glad you're alright!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Safety Dance posted:

Ghost of Mootmoot?

Oh I have a cellphone charger under the seat and I needed the cellphone.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ElMaligno posted:

See Figure 1:

That sucks, at least you and the bike are OK and now you laugh about loving up :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Good to hear that it was just your ego hurt, also it's leeway

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Safety Dance posted:

Ghost of Mootmoot?

I was going to say "He crashed so hard his seat disappeared! Wonder where it went?"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry about your moot. Glad it wasn't too bad.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Went riding on a disused mx track yesterday on a whim, without proper mx boots and paid for it. Dropped the bike on my foot in a turn. Damage is a nasty sprain, I can't walk without crutches though I'm thinking it should heal pretty quick. Thankfully I was able to right my bike and get home. The DRZ, of course, is fine.

The fun part of this is I only own motorcycles right now, and have to commute about 25 miles to get to work. It is the right foot though, so as soon as I can put a little weight on it...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Right foot is rear brake, you're good to go!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Figure out how to walk with a cane, and how to strap a cane to your bike. I did that for a few months after my broken leg mostly healed.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

Right foot is rear brake, you're good to go!

But how will he stop the bike without flipping over?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Man, that's gonna wreck the weekly twister evenings. :( I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Man, that's gonna wreck the weekly twister evenings. :( I'm sorry.

I work at a rock climbing gym, and part of my duties involves putting up/replacing the routes and maintaining the walls. My manager has said she's going to punch me in the head the next time she sees me.

• Locked thread