Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Xguard86 posted:

Why are people always doing poo poo like that when you can box for an entire year for the same amount or prob less?

Because some people are really good at selling/manipulating others something like a 'quick fix' or a 'secret' method that others don't know about. Plus people are gullible and buy into it.

Some instructor's deliberately target vunerable people and groom them (mentally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This guy was in my studio yesterday and trying to sell one of the designers on some bs fad martial arts gym that combined" qi-gong and knife fighting" and was totally legit and "more effective than krav and only $120 a month." This is in Venice and the whole area is full of effete bougie dorks so I'm not surprised, but boy I wish there was a way I could make guys like that roll with some D3 wrestling washout to see them get smothered into oblivion.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Senor P. posted:

Because some people are really good at selling/manipulating others something like a 'quick fix' or a 'secret' method that others don't know about. Plus people are gullible and buy into it.

Some instructor's deliberately target vunerable people and groom them (mentally).

I kinda understood how people got suckered before the popularity of the UFC and the constant stream of webcam footage showing street fights and challenge matches. These days though, its like willful ignorance.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Was pretty cool today, was sparring with a knucklehead* that was spazzing out and eventually tried to do some crazy double-leg (and when I say sparring I mean we were striking in big gloves so why the gently caress he thought a take-down was appropriate I have nfc) which I stuffed. The cool part though was the coach coming over and telling him "you don't want to go to the ground with keke" :smug:

* he is that guy that says "lets go light" then starts throwing haymakers

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kekekela posted:

* he is that guy that says "lets go light" then starts throwing haymakers

I loving hate this guy. We're doing "stations" at my gym where we do light drills except at the station that's inside the ring where we do full sparring, and he's hitting me "because I want to feel it when I mess up, y'know??"

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I kinda understood how people got suckered before the popularity of the UFC and the constant stream of webcam footage showing street fights and challenge matches. These days though, its like willful ignorance.

People really really like the "easy quick secret they don't want you to know about discovered by a mom" route because it makes them feel special instead of just another doofus doing things the hard way.

Like I've lost a ton of weight and people always ask how. I cut my calories and I exercised a shitload. Really, it's that simple. If you want to get more specific, I shifted to a protein-heavy diet and did a lot of lifting with a fair amount of cardio. But really, that's it. And I did that for a while, making tweaks as I saw my weight shift, and I lost weight. But people's faces' always fall when I say that because they want me to draw them aside and whisper "Just drink a gallon of pickle juice a day for a week and you'll never be fat again." The hard way is hard and it takes work. A friend of mine is horrified that it may take me several years to become a black belt in BJJ because there's a gym by his house that guarantees black belt in some martial art in a year. But how good are those black belts actually gonna be?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 17, 2013

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

A friend of mine is horrified that it may take me several years to become a black belt in BJJ because there's a gym by his house that guarantees black belt in some martial art in a year. But how good are those black belts actually gonna be?

This good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4A3CWEtlY

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't like to argue x martial art vs. ______ but I can't imaging catching a good round kick with your forearm like that :ohdear:

-edit holy poo poo the end :psyduck:

I wish someone saved those muay thai kata videos...

Is it time for the annual make fun of that guy;s gym, the videos, and the muay thai master instructor courses he sells?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 18, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It's a biased study because no one who blocks like that has ever seen nor knows how to do a good round kick.

As far as they're concerned it's totally legit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Slice of life: got gold in catch and silver in sambo at the ISWA Catch Wrestling/North American Freestyle Sambo Championships in Austin today. A good day.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Slice of life: got gold in catch and silver in sambo at the ISWA Catch Wrestling/North American Freestyle Sambo Championships in Austin today. A good day.

That owns, duder! Congrats. :)

E; I think you asked me earlier if I was gonna be a mat ref at ISWA, but I forgot to reply-- and it's obviously too late now, but no, it's for a local competition.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What were the rule differences between catch and sambo?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

What were the rule differences between catch and sambo?

Full rules at http://sambofighter.com

Sambo is gi while catch is no-gi. The biggest difference is that you can win by 3-second pin in catch, and pin yourself if you're not careful in guard or doing a RNC, etc. In freestyle sambo ground time is limited to 1 min after a throw, then you're stood up. You also get points for a 20-second pin from top control position (ie not guard/half guard) , but it doesn't end the match.

Oh yeah, and the medal matches in catch were best of three rounds! I won the first fall by sub, then played defense for the next 12 minutes. Pretty tiring...

Coolest thing about the tournament: my first sambo match was against a guy with one hand. I threw him a bunch and won on points 11-0 or something, but he was awesome considering his handicap. I was going all-out and couldn't even come close to getting a sub, and he almost took me down a few times. Tons of respect to that dude. I love this sport.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 19, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Congrats man! Get any good throws or subs?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Congrats man! Get any good throws or subs?

Thanks!

I had a few good moments. Won by sub a few times in the catch tourney, and landed a few nice throws in sambo. I have a very defensive style though and most of my takedowns in both were counters. Lost in the sambo gold medal match to a flying armbar, but can't even feel bad about that since that guy was really slick and also one of my old coach's guys. Basically I stuffed a fireman's attempt, wound up with a really nice deep collar cross grip, and while I was thinking about pulling guard for a collar choke (which isn't really my game at all) the guy just went for it and that was that. Definitely something to learn from.

I'll put some videos up of the more interesting matches once I get my hands on them.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 19, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fightland was covering the event and wrote an article about the tournament and about the horrible state of international sambo's politics. There's a bit of creative license and usual Vice snarkiness, but it's a solid read if a bit negative:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/russian-gangsters-and-russian-wrestlers

For the record, I'm the "older guy with a stronger build" they talk about who gets flying armbarred by Elliot in the finals. Didn't know that he was winning BJJ absolute divisions and stuff like that, makes me feel a little better about losing. :v: That kid is going to be something special, though.

e:
That kid's coach (and my ex-coach/training partner and all around amazing sambo guy Reilly Bodycomb) put up a highlight video of his students already, the armbar's in there. I even had my shoulder through and was trying to stack, and he adjusted right away and finished belly down, really slick stuff. Here's the vid queued up to the sub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Z6HUlSZso&t=214s

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 20, 2013

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Can't.Stop.Laughing!!! Especially the ending hahaha

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Anybody do Muay thai/Kickboxing/Related? I'm looking for any and all protips on how to recover my battered shins faster. Oww

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

Anybody do Muay thai/Kickboxing/Related? I'm looking for any and all protips on how to recover my battered shins faster. Oww

Tiger balm, rest, massage and keep conditioning them and it eventually wont bother you much

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

ManOfTheYear posted:

The drills eventually became competitions and sports and they became their own worlds, where the goal was to "win" the drill, not learn to fight: judo is now pretty irritating, because you can't grab the opponents legs and you are not allowed to grip with both of your hands on the same side of the opponent's gi for more than three seconds. Both rules are completely artificial, which is true for a lot of older judo rules too: winning the match by getting the opponent on his back or pinning him on his back make sense only as a sports event, because it gives the guy in the pin a possibilty to use all his limbs and giving him a fair chance, pinning him face down takes that away. For example cops want to put the perp face down so that they could put the cuffs on.

Late but, I was under the impression that the focus on throwing a person on their back in judo had little to do with fair competition rule sets with regard to newaza and more to do with the idea that, if you are going to throw someone, on their the back is relatively the safest place for them to land to avoid breaking something or killing them.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Here's a fun article from BuzzFeed today.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/sex-money-and-kung-fu-shaolin-temple-faces-rumors-and-scanda

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

manyak posted:

Tiger balm

And just to be clear, you should be conditioning by kicking bags real hard not doing some dumb poo poo like rubbing beer bottles on your legs or something.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Novum posted:

And just to be clear, you should be conditioning by kicking bags real hard not doing some dumb poo poo like rubbing beer bottles on your legs or something.

A guy at my gym from thailand says that you can hit your shins with wet towels for a similar effect. Idk?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Heh.

So, a few years ago I was living in Nanjing and the woman I was staying with, who knew I was spending a lot of time doing shuaijiao and training at the local expat BJJ gym, told me she was going to take me out to see "the real Chinese martial arts". We went to a shaolin stage show, and afterwards she talked at length about how it was "the real thing" and not watered down like what I was doing. :geno:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Novum posted:

It's a biased study because no one who blocks like that has ever seen nor knows how to do a good round kick.

As far as they're concerned it's totally legit.

When we used to do wheel kicks we'd have to turn our arm the other way when holding a thai pad so the impact bent your elbow naturally rather than holding the pads normally, it hurt too much to do it any other way. A properly thrown wheel kick from someone wrecks poo poo.

Mr. Pool posted:

Eat Bum Zen posted:

A guy at my gym from thailand says that you can hit your shins with wet towels for a similar effect. Idk?

Kick a heavy bag. That will condition/kill the nerves (I think) and harden your shins. Using bottles / sticks / wet towels doesn't make your bones harder it just helps to lessen the "owie, owie, owie, owie" response when you clash shins without pads starting out. People out there are dumb enough to think that feeling less pain means they can kick harder or check harder and break their poo poo. Kick a heavy bag over and over and over and over and over and over.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

All your shin questions answered -

http://oldstylemuaythai.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-3-muay-thai-shin-conditioning-myths.html

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Kick a heavy bag. That will condition/kill the nerves (I think) and harden your shins. Using bottles / sticks / wet towels doesn't make your bones harder it just helps to lessen the "owie, owie, owie, owie" response when you clash shins without pads starting out. People out there are dumb enough to think that feeling less pain means they can kick harder or check harder and break their poo poo. Kick a heavy bag over and over and over and over and over and over.

this is how you condition your legs.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I'm already resigned to the fact that the only way to strong shins is indeed thousands of reps on the heavy bag. Just wish I could recover faster so I can get more reps in per week. Oh well, rest, ice, tiger balm it is. I fully intended to stay after practice today and get a few rounds of just kicks on the bag. Did 20 more kicks and that was.... plenty.

Our gym actually had a seminar with Kevin Ross recently, which is awesome. Got to train and asks questions from of the the top muay thai fighters in the world. Certainly one of the best westerners!
When I asked him about shin conditioning he said the same, just hit the heavy bag and allow enough time to actually heal. He also went on to say not only are there no shortcuts, but its worse than that: even once you have very strong shins, after a layoff from hard training you can lose your 'nerve conditioning' and training can be painful all over again. I guess that just reinforces the point that you're not really killing nerves with this training

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Look into applying namman Muay before/after bagwork. It provides some relief and arguably promotes healing and has an anti-inflammatory effect. Stimulates blood flow to the area and numbs it a bit. Someone will probably argue against all that but just look it up. I remember I found a write-up that went through the ingredients and what they did.

Otherwise there's no quick fix. And it's. fairly long process. But when you are conditioned you'll feel amazing when you can crack the bag like your leg is a baseball bat and don't even flinch.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 20, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm already resigned to the fact that the only way to strong shins is indeed thousands of reps on the heavy bag. Just wish I could recover faster so I can get more reps in per week. Oh well, rest, ice, tiger balm it is. I fully intended to stay after practice today and get a few rounds of just kicks on the bag. Did 20 more kicks and that was.... plenty.

Our gym actually had a seminar with Kevin Ross recently, which is awesome. Got to train and asks questions from of the the top muay thai fighters in the world. Certainly one of the best westerners!
When I asked him about shin conditioning he said the same, just hit the heavy bag and allow enough time to actually heal. He also went on to say not only are there no shortcuts, but its worse than that: even once you have very strong shins, after a layoff from hard training you can lose your 'nerve conditioning' and training can be painful all over again. I guess that just reinforces the point that you're not really killing nerves with this training

The weight and thus density of a bag sinks down over time. the higher you kick, the softer the bag. Start upstairs and work your way downstairs. (But realize that the most important kicks are downstairs.)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
When you all mention time for your shins to heal, how long is a good amount to wait? Like 24 hours or so?

I go to MT classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. So if it takes more than 24 hours for shins to heal after a session on the heavy bag, guess I'll be only really kicking the bags hard on Thursdays.

Right now, I use the lower part of the shin to connect with the bag or Thai pads - About 2" or so above where the ankle and leg join together. Hitting the bag with the middle of my shin - even once - hurts like hell. As in, the pain is almost disabling! :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Syphilis Fish posted:

The weight and thus density of a bag sinks down over time. the higher you kick, the softer the bag. Start upstairs and work your way downstairs. (But realize that the most important kicks are downstairs.)

Yeah, kicking the middle of skinny banana bags will let you get in a lot more mid-strength kicks than going full-bore on the bottom of a normal boxing heavy bag.

Dolemite posted:

When you all mention time for your shins to heal, how long is a good amount to wait? Like 24 hours or so?
It'll be longer when you're first starting out when you're not used to it. I remember kicking a guy on the ankle when I first started sparring and I limped for a whole week. Now, it might hurt through the end of the session.

quote:

Right now, I use the lower part of the shin to connect with the bag or Thai pads - About 2" or so above where the ankle and leg join together. Hitting the bag with the middle of my shin - even once - hurts like hell. As in, the pain is almost disabling! :(
Strange. Make sure if you land in the middle of the shin that you aren't locking out and hyperextending your knee a bit.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Syphilis Fish posted:

Good point. Yet another reason to stretch before class! Gotta be able to reach the upstairs :cheeky:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

I was reading in the paper today about a 100 man karate fight / documentary today, and it made me think of this. The fight is supposed to be one man vs one hundred, for over 3 hours (fighting each opponent for 90 seconds or so).

Then I looked up who was doing it and suddenly it doesn't seem sooo implausible - http://vimeo.com/69409326

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
One of those videos is not like the other.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You often read with interest about the various cons and tricks East European thieves and pick pockets use when they travel to the more affluent Western parts of the old continent every spring and summer, to steal from jewelry stores, to rob the defenseless and elderly, and to burgle empty houses during the vacationing season. Then again in Russia...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
How do I best condition my arms for boxing, my shoulders and upper arms give out way way to fast compared to the rest of my body lactic acid wise when I'm hitting the heavy bag or sparring, like, almost instantly if I have warmed up and hit pads before hand.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

How do I best condition my arms for boxing, my shoulders and upper arms give out way way to fast compared to the rest of my body lactic acid wise when I'm hitting the heavy bag or sparring, like, almost instantly if I have warmed up and hit pads before hand.

Do more stuff on the bag. Hit the pads more. Use the speed bag.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

willie_dee posted:

First, and this is pedantic, but there is no such thing as lactic acid in the human body. The burn you feel come from a bunch of waste products produced during anaerobic efforts, none of which are lactic acid.

Second, to train this you need to challenge those muscles anaerobically to improve their buffering capacity so they can handle those waste products. One way I train my guys for this is with 15 second on, 15 second off intervals on the heavy bag. Go full out on the bags throwing just straight punches or just hooks (I have my guys switch every round) as fast as you can and as hard as you can. Technique is less of an issue but try to keep the punches tidy. Then, during the off phase of the intervals work you do not rest and instead work on foot work coming in and out on the bag throwing combinations. The punches should be hard but the over all volume can lower than a normal bag session. We repeat the whole thing seven times and then rest for about three minutes and do it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Something you might be doing which is using your biceps to hold your arms up will gas you the gently caress out in the arms. Relax and try to think you're keeping your elbows together. Also you could be a massive sperg like me and walk around your house with your hands up, watch tv with your hands up, while holding 2kg weights. You'll look like a retard but it helps immensely.

• Locked thread