Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bingarosso posted:

This debate actually raises a question of mine: I've played with friends a couple of times, some painted, some unpainted. Picked up my own battle box and started painting. I've loved painting, so this isn't a question of "Man, how do I get out of painting?" It's more like, I'm sure my paintjobs look amateurish and lovely, and also, they take me a long time.

Question is, how important is painting to the game? If I were to roll with an Army to a store with a lovely paint job...I'm sure people won't be dicks, but, seriously, am I going to get judged? Am I going to think back on this moment with embarrassment?

The short and simple truth is that everyone has their own reasons and time frames to work with, and therefore their own reasons for wanting to or not wanting to paint. No matter what those reasons are, they are yours, and no one else'. Anyone who has a problem with that and has a lovely attitude about it can shove their opinion up their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I hate painting, and yet I have 3 massive and fully painted armies (and have sold 5 more) thanks to the wonders of podcasts. :v: The Giant Bombcast alone is usually enough to finish a Caster.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Sulecrist posted:

EDIT: One other thing. The sooner you hear this, the better. You're going to lose a lot. Depending on whether you're playing other total newbies or people with even slightly more experience than you, this will probably range from 50-100% of your first 20 games. Do not lose heart. Do not blame your models. Do not blame luck. It is your fault, but you will get better.

As an old GW convert, I have to second this. This game is less about luck than Warhammer, and it really shows. It's fair, it's (mostly) balanced, but there's a lot less 'throw mans at each other and let the dice sort them out' than in Warham. (then again I played fantasy so...)

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So, I had a question I thought of today, if, say, a warcaster is engaged with another model and thunderbolts that model 3 inches away does the warcaster get a free strike?

Righto, thanks you two, I thought it sounded fishy, but i wasn't sure and I don't own a copy of Prime mk 2 to check.

Sivores fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 21, 2013

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Sivores posted:

So, I had a question I thought of today, if, say, a warcaster is engaged with another model and thunderbolts that model 3 inches away does the warcaster get a free strike?

No. Unintentional movement (slams, pushes, places, etc) never cause free strikes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sivores posted:

Free strikes are caused by advances. Advances are voluntary movement only.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Another rule question. I have Lucant put Watcher on himself. He is charged by a model. I have the Axiom take a free boosted harpoon shot at the enemy model to drag it away from the attack. Is the harpoon shot penalized for firing at an engaged target? And if it is, and the Axiom misses, isn't it just great that randomizing and retargeting can just as easily result in my yanking Lucant out of combat for a cost of 1 whole damage? That last part isn't a question really.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

theironjef posted:

Another rule question. I have Lucant put Watcher on himself. He is charged by a model. I have the Axiom take a free boosted harpoon shot at the enemy model to drag it away from the attack. Is the harpoon shot penalized for firing at an engaged target? And if it is, and the Axiom misses, isn't it just great that randomizing and retargeting can just as easily result in my yanking Lucant out of combat for a cost of 1 whole damage? That last part isn't a question really.

Does drag specify enemy model? Also Lucant will still suffer the in-combat penalty (yes the targets will suffer the in combat penalty) IIRC.

e: Yeah Drag totally specifies enemy model, no dragging your own dudes out of combat with it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bummer, means he's hitting like DEF 9 on average, even boosted. Oh well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Shouldn't the axion be hitting like DEF 15-16 on average? Err, Lucant is what RAT 5, right? Even a boosted RAT 0 shot should be hitting DEF 10-11 on average :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

S.J. posted:

Shouldn't the axion be hitting like DEF 15-16 on average? Err, Lucant is what RAT 5, right? Even a boosted RAT 0 shot should be hitting DEF 10-11 on average :v:

He is RAT 3.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ugh yeah, that sucks.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I think you'd be better off using Watcher with an Inverter, and knocking down the triggering model with the Macropummeler.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zhent posted:

Having played 40k for about 15 years now, I think the time has come to branch out into a game that doesn't require its own seatbelt when packed into my car.
I'm not sure you're in the right thread. Someone repost that Archangel transport photo please?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Painting progress pics!

My LGS is running a journeyman, and so I decided to start a Menoth army

So far - pKreoss, Revenger and Vassal done.

Since we got a lot of freedom in our lists, I used Kreoss, a Templar, Vanquisher and Vigilant in week 1. Def Ward on a Templar is amazing.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I am lusting after a Stormwall. Is it possible to run it in a 35 point list?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Serotonin posted:

It's possible, but it's probably going to be your only warjack. With the warcaster discount you'll have 21-22 points left to play around with. Are you thinking of any warcasters in particular?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's possible, but it's probably going to be your only warjack. With the warcaster discount you'll have 21-22 points left to play around with. Are you thinking of any warcasters in particular?

I have pStryker but looking at WarRoom I wondered how pHaley would suit a Stormwall given her feat and spell that buffs accuracy. Plus she has some area denial spells that might protect the SW. Was also considering a unit of Stormguard to protect the Stormwall and maybe a Storm Caller to triangulate with the SWs pods.

I'm pretty new to Warma so feel free to tell me it's a dumb idea.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
First one-on-one game in years tonight - I'm playing my Cryx battlebox.

Any advice?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CobiWann posted:

First one-on-one game in years tonight - I'm playing my Cryx battlebox.

Any advice?

Yea, go to town :v:
The Cryx box is pretty much the best battlebox. Keep Crippling Grasp up on the enemy's heavy via an Arc Node and you win pretty much.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Serotonin posted:

I have pStryker but looking at WarRoom I wondered how pHaley would suit a Stormwall given her feat and spell that buffs accuracy. Plus she has some area denial spells that might protect the SW. Was also considering a unit of Stormguard to protect the Stormwall and maybe a Storm Caller to triangulate with the SWs pods.

I haven't seen too many pHaley lists before, but she would do ok with a Stormwall I think. Arcane Shield, Temporal Barrier, and Arcane Vortex would also go a long way to keeping the Stormwall healthy. Deadeye isn't too spectacular for Stormwall, since it only benefits the first attack, you'd want to use Deadeye on either ATGM or a Stormblade Death Star. If you want to use Stormguard, maybe try a Stormguard front line with a Stormblade line behind that, with Stormblade Infantry Captains. Sprinkle solos and mercs (like Rhupert) to taste.

KELNOR THE OVERWASP
Jul 1, 2005

CULTURAL IMPERIALIST.
ask me about being white and privileged in china
Recently decided to get properly into Warmachine so I bought two 35 point armies. So far I've only been able to play once, and that was with another new player. Not that much of a gaming scene in Shanghai unfortunately.

Anyway, though it's much two late I thought I'd post the two armies I have and ask for opinions, both on whether they are good ways to learn/get into the game and whether they are likely to be effective on the tabletop. Both are 35 point tier 4 lists. Here goes:

Cygnar, Epic Caine: The Huntsman

eCaine
1 Minuteman
2 Lancers
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages plus Officer
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
Rangers

Legion of Everblight, Saeryn: Fallen Angels

Saeryn
Blighted Nyss Sorceress and Hellion
Seraph
Angelius
2 Nephilim Bolt Throwers
Nephilim Soldier
Nephilim Protector
Blighed Nyss Shepherd

Now that I'm making the post, I made these lists a while ago and when I tried to recreate them on forwardkommander just now it was saying Saeryn needs to have 4 Nephilim before she can get a free one, whereas I remember it being 3 which is also what battle college says. Were the rules for her tier list changed or is this a mistake at forkommander?

From my limited experience so far this game seems to be fantastic - power attacks, animus and so on make for a very interesting and not too luck based game. About the only thing I'd say that's negative is that a certain amount of rage guessing is involved, which seems out of place. Doesn't stop the game being excellent. Oh, and the fact the Nephilim ought to be a plural word, like Seraphim. It's weird they'd get it right for the heavy beasts and wrong for the light but oh well!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Serotonin posted:

I would hold off on Stormguard for now. There are a couple of new Storm Knight pieces coming out in Vengeance, and even though we have the stats for a few of them (and the solo is already out) none of us can really say how it'll all shake out. What I would recommend is picking up some stuff that goes well with everybody. That can definitely include a Stormwall!

Here's a pHaley list I threw together. It has a lot of generalist models that work very well with a variety of Cygnar casters:

pHaley +5
Squire -2 (more Focus, bigger control area--he's the closest thing to an autoinclude that Cygnar has)
Stormwall -19
Journeyman Warcaster -3 (not super necessary in this list since you have Arcane Shield on pHaley, but he's essential with many other casters, and he can throw his own Shield onto the Boomhowlers)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co - 9 (medium bases, decent speed, and incredible resilience make them the best tarpit unit you have available--they'll protect the Stormwall, protect Haley, take zones, and with Deadeye and Assault (see below) they'll actually be pretty lethal in their own right)
Jonas Murdoch - 2 (makes the Boomhowlers into Faction models so they can benefit from the feat and certain spells, and also gives them the Assault ability)

That leaves you with 8 points to spend on some combination of Stormsmith Stormcallers, Gorman di Wulfe, Rhupert Marvolo, Black 13th, Arcane Tempest Gun Mages, Tempest Blazers (min, I guess), Rangers, Hunter, Risen, or whatever else you think looks cool.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KELNOR THE OVERWASP posted:

Recently decided to get properly into Warmachine so I bought two 35 point armies. So far I've only been able to play once, and that was with another new player. Not that much of a gaming scene in Shanghai unfortunately.

Anyway, though it's much two late I thought I'd post the two armies I have and ask for opinions, both on whether they are good ways to learn/get into the game and whether they are likely to be effective on the tabletop. Both are 35 point tier 4 lists. Here goes:

eCaine
1 Minuteman
2 Lancers
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Rangers

Legion of Everblight, Saeryn: Fallen Angels

Saeryn
Blighted Nyss Sorceress and Hellion
Seraph
Angelius
2 Nephilim Bolt Throwers
Nephilim Soldier
Nephilim Protector
Blighed Nyss Shepherd

Now that I'm making the post, I made these lists a while ago and when I tried to recreate them on forwardkommander just now it was saying Saeryn needs to have 4 Nephilim before she can get a free one, whereas I remember it being 3 which is also what battle college says. Were the rules for her tier list changed or is this a mistake at forkommander?

From my limited experience so far this game seems to be fantastic - power attacks, animus and so on make for a very interesting and not too luck based game. About the only thing I'd say that's negative is that a certain amount of rage guessing is involved, which seems out of place. Doesn't stop the game being excellent. Oh, and the fact the Nephilim ought to be a plural word, like Seraphim. It's weird they'd get it right for the heavy beasts and wrong for the light but oh well!

My suggestion is dont start the game with theme lists. You've got the models already, but you can still flesh them out in non theme without buying too much more.

Epic Caine, for example, doesn't ever need a 6 pt arc node, much less two of them. But lancers are good with ther casters so you didn't waste your money.

If you're just learning, play battlebox size games as much as possible for the next 15-20 games. Don't jump in at 35.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Man up, Use pNemo and run stormwall at 25. Edit: 15. :science:

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 21, 2013

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Man up, Use pNemo and run stormwall at 25. Edit: 15. :science:

What about Kraye + Stormwall at 35. That seems like it would be pretty sweet.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I confess to being confused about Bulldoze. I get that when you move base to base with something, you get to push it 2" directly away. However, people talk about being able to Bulldoze your way through a bunch of screening stuff to (say) get to the enemy caster, but if you pushed something 2" away from you, and then you keep moving, won't you take a free strike (assuming it had reach)?

There seems to be a lot of "Bulldoze is awesome" sentiment out there and I guess I don't see why it is *that* amazing, although it's obviously useful.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

evenworse username posted:

I confess to being confused about Bulldoze. I get that when you move base to base with something, you get to push it 2" directly away. However, people talk about being able to Bulldoze your way through a bunch of screening stuff to (say) get to the enemy caster, but if you pushed something 2" away from you, and then you keep moving, won't you take a free strike (assuming it had reach)?

There seems to be a lot of "Bulldoze is awesome" sentiment out there and I guess I don't see why it is *that* amazing, although it's obviously useful.

It depends on where they moved and how your moving whether you'd provoke a free strike. You could 'hip check' them to knock them out of reach and avoid moving back into it, or you could push them back and get where you need to be without leaving their melee range. Also, most things with Bulldoze can take a free strike or two without worry, as long as it's not from a heavy or a weapon master.

Anti Double Post Edit:

Why hello there...

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 21, 2013

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Okay initial impression: The PP Digital Reader App is baaaaad. It's simple to buy stuff and read through descriptions, but the actual product is slow to load, loses focus if you move to another part of the screen requiring a redownload as you move from one part of the page to another, and just for fun won't switch from portrait to landscape. It basically means unreadable media on an iphone, it's cute they can release it on one, but they really should have made this a tablet-only release.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Am I insane, or is Butcher3 + Conquest + Pirates kind of excellent?

Edit: maybe there's already been some discussion of this idea but I sure haven't heard it yet. Here's what I was thinking:

Butcher3 +4
Conquest -19
War Dog -1
Max Mechaniks -3
Hawk -2
Rockbottom -2
Killingsworth -2
Grogspar -2
Press Gangers -6
Sea Dogs -8
Rifles x3 -3
Walls -2
Aiyana & Holt -4

Alternatively, I could drop the Conquest and Mechaniks and add Behemoth and Boomhowlers, but this seems more flexible. And more fun.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2013

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

Am I insane, or is Butcher3 + Conquest + Pirates kind of excellent?

I'm actually not diggin' Conquest with Butch3; it wouldn't be able to advance from Energizer, and is too much of a point sink from models that could be used to help screen and deliver big B. I'd think a Spriggan would be excellent with him, as the reach + high accuracy charge attack (when it could be given Silence of Death), along with its bulldozing, grenade launchers, and targeting flares, synergize excellently with the package Butch would be bringing to bear.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I think Spriggan is a natural choice with him and it's where my mind went first too (along with the clamjacks), but I think here the advantage is the presence of Conquest (or, to a lesser extent, Behemoth) teases out the threats that would otherwise harm Butcher, it'll be a way to kill armor that doesn't rely on the caster, and the gun is actually fantastic with or without focus. Energizer is nice, yeah, but I think its main use is on Butcher and the Argii. If it happens to help the jack as well that's cool, but I don't think its absence means you're wasting it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

Why hello there...

Mine arrived today too, and while I knew they were going to be on medium bases I'm still astonished at just how tall Steelsoul Protectors are. I put her next to a Long Gunner, she looks like she's supposed to be around 11 feet tall.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Syntherion has had a rough day.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
The Leaning Caster of Cyriss.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Paper Kaiju posted:

It depends on where they moved and how your moving whether you'd provoke a free strike. You could 'hip check' them to knock them out of reach and avoid moving back into it, or you could push them back and get where you need to be without leaving their melee range. Also, most things with Bulldoze can take a free strike or two without worry, as long as it's not from a heavy or a weapon master.

Anti Double Post Edit:

Why hello there...

They ran out before I could get one at GenCon and I couldn't justify the shipping. I'm just going to have another go at it next GenCon, since they seem to bring previous year's models.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

The Leaning Caster of Cyriss.

I was kind of going for the effect that without one arm to counter balance, he can't hover upright.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

theironjef posted:

Mine arrived today too, and while I knew they were going to be on medium bases I'm still astonished at just how tall Steelsoul Protectors are. I put her next to a Long Gunner, she looks like she's supposed to be around 11 feet tall.

Wait they're on Medium bases? Mine came with a small base. Oh well, glad I have extras.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Korwen posted:

Wait they're on Medium bases? Mine came with a small base. Oh well, glad I have extras.

Mine did too, I assume whoever they had packing the special gencon models was misinformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

KELNOR THE OVERWASP posted:

eCaine
1 Minuteman
2 Lancers
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Rangers

Not a question for you specifically, but what the gently caress can you or do you use the lancers for in eCaines themelist?

• Locked thread