Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
As long as the WAH winds up with you finding a new job, FTW! Get out while you can. Call centers aren't career jobs, even for supervisors. Well, they can be, but -most- supervisors are either bottom feeders or could be making a buttload more if they found real jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So after three weeks of sitting on my rear end doing literally no work, the company got fed up with our IT desk going unutilized, so we have a new temporary project for the next 2-3 weeks.

Instead of doing corporate IT, starting Monday I get to take customer calls for a product recall. :suicide:

This is not something our company normally does but they are doing a favor for one of our biggest contracts so we just get to deal with it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Wow. Our company branded swag pool runs deep as hell. The boss let me take something from her collection for doing good at answering phones last month.

Branded socks, t-shirts, multitools and screw driver kits :psyduck:

I took the tool and screwdriver kit, I figure it may actually come in handy some day in some capacity.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So after three weeks of sitting on my rear end doing literally no work, the company got fed up with our IT desk going unutilized, so we have a new temporary project for the next 2-3 weeks.

Instead of doing corporate IT, starting Monday I get to take customer calls for a product recall. :suicide:

This is not something our company normally does but they are doing a favor for one of our biggest contracts so we just get to deal with it.

This would be fun if only because you shouldn't have to follow a script or anything. Go nuts.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cuntvalet posted:

I've applied to a poo poo load of jobs both what I studied for and part time retail recently, havent heard poo poo all back. I feel trapped. I feel helpless. And today certainly isn't helping.

I want to just scream and rage quit but that's not really gonna help anything. It feels like everything is just trying to bend me to see how far I bend before I break and I don't know how much longer I can put up with this.

Fil5000 has the right idea. You really have to learn to detach yourself from this stuff. Most people are just mad at the company while others are crazy and/or assholes and it gets a lot easier to deal with if you just stop giving a poo poo about anything beyond meeting your employer's expectations.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear right now but I'm saying this because you'll be dealing with the same kinds of people/situations if you go into retail work, only then it will be in person where they can hear AND see your reactions. It won't be as bad if you're say, going into some kind of stock position that doesn't involve customers as much but most stores love to make employees do multiple jobs so you'll probably end up cashiering or something eventually.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Retail is worse than call centres, because that nut job that is screaming at you is doing it directly into your face and can jump the counter and start punching you. Also you get paid less.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I did retail for 4 years at a gas station kiosk behind bullet proof glass, when someone was freaking out and in a few instances spitting at me, it was like watching a curious zoo exhibit, I dug it.

In fact, if it paid the same and had the same benefits, I'd rather work it than this job.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Fil5000 posted:

Retail is worse than call centres, because that nut job that is screaming at you is doing it directly into your face and can jump the counter and start punching you. Also you get paid less.

I actually disagree...not about the pay or whatever, but about retail being worse in general. I find people while they can still be nasty, don't have the same balls because they're face to face. Over the phone gives people a certain type of bravado.

That and you're dealing with people only from a certain area. Not nation wide assholes.

That said, I don't miss cleaning up explosive diarrhea in the aisles either.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cuntvalet posted:

I actually disagree...not about the pay or whatever, but about retail being worse in general. I find people while they can still be nasty, don't have the same balls because they're face to face. Over the phone gives people a certain type of bravado.

That and you're dealing with people only from a certain area. Not nation wide assholes.

That said, I don't miss cleaning up explosive diarrhea in the aisles either.

Eh, YMMV I guess. I went from five years of selling video games into a collections phones role, went from a deputy manager down to a phone drone and was earning more money, got paid for the hours I worked and learned the joys if the "release" button.

Oh, and since going into a call centre I've never had to watch a security guard catch a shoplifter and get a needle in the thigh for his trouble, or seen one of my colleagues get punched in the face by a customer that didn't like his attitude.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yuck. Selling video games must be a special kind of terrible. Maybe rivaled by working in a comic book or hobby shop.

I just sold gas and cigs, things people need all the time and always increasing in cost and they already know / don't care.

We had a tax increase hit on all cigs on time that raised the average price from like, $4.50 to $5.25 and they didn't even flinch at it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

This would be fun if only because you shouldn't have to follow a script or anything. Go nuts.
Yeah actually I'm not really that worried about it because as I understand, they're not keeping any metrics whatsoever, and have basically told us the queue will always be packed but don't worry about it, and if it takes half an hour to make sure someone is satisfied about the recall, that's fine.

I just like complaining. :v:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I sure hope I don't fail my background check or anything with my new job, because I've just quit giving any fucks. Customer sasses me? I sass them right back. Customer's doing the bullshit "Waaaaah, I dunno if I wanna file a claim or not?" thing? I tell them to think on it and call us back later.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Eh, YMMV I guess. I went from five years of selling video games into a collections phones role, went from a deputy manager down to a phone drone and was earning more money, got paid for the hours I worked and learned the joys if the "release" button.

I can only imagine the special kind of terrible that working in a video game retail store brings. From the whiny self-important children wanting mommy to buy their video game, to fanboys and other retardation.

quote:

Oh, and since going into a call centre I've never had to watch a security guard catch a shoplifter and get a needle in the thigh for his trouble, or seen one of my colleagues get punched in the face by a customer that didn't like his attitude.
Was it an insulin needle :downsrim:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
TODAY marks one year since I was released from hell! Happy times!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I put in my 2 weeks notice on Monday, and it's kinda awesome.

Too bad there's a client visit between now and the end, though.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well I'm officially slated for work at home. Got one of the crappier shifts, but if things go well, I might have another job lined up. It'll suck for them if I leave a bit after getting it, but oh well.

ArrestedGaming
Aug 18, 2013
Good to know I'm not the only one miserable in a call center, though I feel bad for everyone else stuck there too. I work for a vision insurance company, and I'm about 50-50 on feeling bad for myself and other employees, and for feeling bad for customers. Constantly having people transferred over from medical insurance or lower ranks in the company since they don't train anyone in the business, and dealing with whatever the last rep told them before pushing them on. Those people I feel sorry for, but the ones who haven't done any research on their plan, then call up pissed that (insert company) doesn't except their plan and they demand we take care of everything for them. The best still though are the people that call up cussing the moment they get on the phone. Had an old man the other day call up with "You need to get rid of that drat phone system. It's a waste of my loving time, and let me tell you," before I disconnected on him. I hate my job, but I can work from home, which is a necessity since the fiance and I only have one car. Maybe one day I'll be able to escape!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I put in my 2 weeks notice on Monday, and it's kinda awesome.

Too bad there's a client visit between now and the end, though.

Show up in a g-string and fishnets, say nothing about it.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I quit and left the same day. I was starting at my job the next week anyway, and I just couldn't stomach another minute of that work.

I can't believe I'm actually out. I thought I was going to be there forever, no joke.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

legsarerequired posted:

I quit and left the same day. I was starting at my job the next week anyway, and I just couldn't stomach another minute of that work.

I can't believe I'm actually out. I thought I was going to be there forever, no joke.

Congratulations! :toot:

I actually just finished reading this entire thread. Pretty interesting, and I've been rooting to hear that you managed to get out!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

legsarerequired posted:

Congrats!

I've found now that I know I'm getting out, work is almost enjoyable.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
After reading this thread a bit, I'm a little afraid to post this... But anyways, I had an interview earlier this week for what is essentially an inbound call center dealing with FMLA benefits. I have never worked in a call center before, and am honestly just trying to better my financial situation and earn more money. The benefits and pay are already better than my current job (along with better hours M-F 830-5) so on paper it looks good, but basically how hosed am I? Am I going to completely hate this? There's no guarantee I'd even get the job, but its hard to say no to something that is seemingly better than my current position (Teller).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

liz posted:

After reading this thread a bit, I'm a little afraid to post this... But anyways, I had an interview earlier this week for what is essentially an inbound call center dealing with FMLA benefits. I have never worked in a call center before, and am honestly just trying to better my financial situation and earn more money. The benefits and pay are already better than my current job (along with better hours M-F 830-5) so on paper it looks good, but basically how hosed am I? Am I going to completely hate this? There's no guarantee I'd even get the job, but its hard to say no to something that is seemingly better than my current position (Teller).
Call centers are dead end positions. The 'good' ones pay you just enough to make you quit any job with possibilities of advancement and be their slave. Keep looking, IMO.

WFH would be the only type of call center work I would consider again, and it pays too low, in general/all that I've seen ads for.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

SiGmA_X posted:

TODAY marks one year since I was released from hell! Happy times!

It'll be 10 months for me this week. I've counted every day.

liz posted:

You should just let them train you for however many weeks and then cash out before you ever pick up a phone.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

liz posted:

If I were you, I would give it a try. I've worked in two call centers. One was horrible and sucked out my will to live. The other was pretty much ok. It depends on a lot of things, it's really a crapshoot. A smaller company is generally better to work for (IME) than Conglom-O. It's also better to work at an inhouse call center than an outsourced one that handles calls for multiple companies. If they're offering wages that aren't poo poo, why not try it out? It's not a job that you'll want to do your entire life, but neither is being a bank teller. Also, being a teller is utter poo poo because you have sales goals. You'll have service metrics in any call center, but there aren't any sales measurements that would apply to disability claims. Insurance as an industry can suck because everyone calling you has a problem, and you might end up being the bearer of bad news (I'm sorry your claim has been denied, etc). I've worked in one, I know. But you can also leverage an insurance call center position (if it's inhouse) into working as a claims tech or adjuster. There was a lot of upward mobility from my department, at least.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Generally too, a job is better than no job. Just don't get complacent and stop looking for work if you feel you are qualified to work elsewhere for better pay.

I do this nearly every job I have, which is why I've been trying hard to work on my credentials in all the down-time I have at my desk currently.

BTW, recall update. Calls have dropped exponentially every day since Monday. I had like a hundred on Monday, about 40 Tuesday, like 18 yesterday and so far today I've taken four.

I'm so goddamn sick of doing web training and studying.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
I just had the best experience with a rep over at Progressive. He said he was a supervisor that was doing some overtime taking calls because he likes to stay fresh on speaking to customers so that the people he is in charge of know he's not talking out of his rear end and can empathize with them when they're having trouble. After I told him I worked in a similar place we laughed about reading customer survey comments that were over the top. :allears:

I hope I gave him a break from some other dickish customers that night.

Dryer Lint posted:

You should just let them train you for however many weeks and then cash out before you ever pick up a phone.

This.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just don't get complacent and stop looking for work if you feel you are qualified to work elsewhere for better pay.
This is the problem where I was last. 37k a year for CSR1's, and 2/3+ of the CSR's had bachelors degrees from reputable colleges!! I'd go so far as to say more CSR's vs supes had degrees %wise. And those CSR's all hated it and knew they were losing career opportunities with their degrees, but couldn't turn down the money... Especially in Oregon's economy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

SiGmA_X posted:

This is the problem where I was last. 37k a year for CSR1's, and 2/3+ of the CSR's had bachelors degrees from reputable colleges!! I'd go so far as to say more CSR's vs supes had degrees %wise. And those CSR's all hated it and knew they were losing career opportunities with their degrees, but couldn't turn down the money... Especially in Oregon's economy.

That's a case where you have to do outside things to keep up your skills/hid call centre on resume. I did a poo poo ton of volunteer work when I worked at a call centre.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I'm done with call center work! Never realized how much I hated that place until I left

Lady Arcadia
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it wonderful...just like when you dream you are flying....
It's been a month since I've left my call center job for one in retail management, and I will gladly say I will take all the bullshit in this new job any day over the life in hell call center working is. Yeah, people are terrible sometimes, but it doesn't stick with you and repeat over and over and over again. I'd rather have several minutes a day dealing with irate customers than a non stop slew of them ad nauseum, trapped at a desk and hooked to a phone. I've also lost the 5 pounds I had gained because I'm not on my rear end all day. The only aspect I miss is having weekends off, but I get at least one a month and I can live with it right now.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

A bunch of managers have moved on to other locations within the company recently, and I got to thinking... I do a lot of other tasks than my job now and they're admin related (sending out reports, etc). Management doesn't nearly have the same level of contact with the clients, but then I'd have to deal with agents. I don't want to stay on the phones forever, just with the company. I'd love to hear from any of you with managerial center experience.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I do a lot of lead assist right now (I think more than half of them want me as a lead, but I doubt I'd take it). Dealing with agents can sometimes be just as frustrating as dealing with customers.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
My centre is now doing tech support for another cellular carrier so I have to work with two carriers now and they think we can do stuff that we can't and then we get in trouble for "refusing calls" from them but it's just that their client care is useless and transfer to us all the time.

So. Now not only is our client care loving useless but we have to deal with them now too and it's getting ridiculous. I've sent coaching for 5 agents today alone. Five!

How is it that client care is ignorant to their own damned jobs and what they're supposed to be doing and expect tech to fix everything?!

Also, our OM is still a bag of dicks. But speaking to my TL he basically confirmed that the OM is a useless bag of dicks and the TLs combined make one OM pretty much.

Holy shiiiiiiiit.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Because people are idiots and get set in their ways. The guy that trained me absolutely insisted that every issue with MS Outlook was supposed to get escalated up to the Exchange server team and would not believe otherwise, even when the Exchange team would bounce nearly every ticket back to him saying that it wasn't a server issue but a client issue.

When he quit to take a different job I glanced over at his ticket queue. He had over 200 unresolved tickets in his personal queue, most of which were Outlook issues, and some of which were over 8 months old. I don't even understand how he got away with that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

How is it that client care is ignorant to their own damned jobs and what they're supposed to be doing and expect tech to fix everything?!

It's possible that they aren't. The help desk job I had required me to interface with a number of vendors with which we worked. They would really often just say something was our software's problem when it wasn't so they could get out of work and they knew we, not being a poo poo company, would fix it if the customer came to us pissed off. They could certainly be dumb though, too. Probably a little of Column A, little of Column B.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Chicken Doodle posted:

A bunch of managers have moved on to other locations within the company recently, and I got to thinking... I do a lot of other tasks than my job now and they're admin related (sending out reports, etc). Management doesn't nearly have the same level of contact with the clients, but then I'd have to deal with agents. I don't want to stay on the phones forever, just with the company. I'd love to hear from any of you with managerial center experience.

Don't fool yourself, it isn't any better. Instead of just dealing with your own lovely customers all day, you get to deal with everyone's.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
My work at home is finally moving along. It's going to be so nice to save $300 a month and two loving hours a day driving.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was wondering were this thread went.

I used to work for a call center that contracted out to various companies. I got stuck working for Keurig. My callers were all caffeine junkies who hadn't gotten their morning fix because they decided not to clean their $200 dollar brewer. I got lucky in terms of truley stupid callers though, we had someone get a call from a guy who was complaining that the coffee from his machine was making everyone sick. Turns out he cleaned it with CLR:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I had a TSR tell a customer that 'It looks like you pay quarterly, so you only have to pay 3 times per year.'

I've had many, many customers that think their water service line and sewer septic lines are the same thing, and that you can take out a HELOC on a property that you're renting from someone else.