Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

Submitted my certification request to the school a month ago. Go by today and ask how that's going and about when I'll get my money.

"Uhhh, still waiting to send the certification to the VA, once it goes out expect 2-12 weeks." Dude told me they are busy and they hope to get it out *soon*

Wait they haven't verified you in VA-ONCE yet?

With the sequester, that process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Vasudus posted:

Wait they haven't verified you in VA-ONCE yet?

With the sequester, that process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.

I should have used those words when I asked them but they already have my certificate of eligiblity, I requested to be certified for classes (using the schools form), and then I check back a month later and they haven't requested money from the VA. Not even sent it. I was told that I'll get an email if my ebenefits account is updated when they receive the certification request and I guess if I don't get it by when classes start to start making some noise.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

I should have used those words when I asked them but they already have my certificate of eligiblity, I requested to be certified for classes (using the schools form), and then I check back a month later and they haven't requested money from the VA. Not even sent it. I was told that I'll get an email if my ebenefits account is updated when they receive the certification request and I guess if I don't get it by when classes start to start making some noise.

Yeah what happens is you fill out the form at the office (every office/school is different) and they use that information to enter your certifying period into VA-ONCE.

They can submit those up to 120 days out from the date the certification period starts.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
When the VA sends that letter saying how many fat stacks you're getting for the semester and this is how much time you have remaining, does the time left not count the semester you're about to start? So like if it says you have 12 months left you'll have 9 or whatever after the semester?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

RichieHimself posted:

When the VA sends that letter saying how many fat stacks you're getting for the semester and this is how much time you have remaining, does the time left not count the semester you're about to start? So like if it says you have 12 months left you'll have 9 or whatever after the semester?

ebenfits.va.gov is a lot easier to understand than those damned letters- I forgot all about the site until someone reminded me when I asked that same question on here.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

RichieHimself posted:

They usually tell you in the letter 'after the period ending blah/blah/2013' how much time you'll have left.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I remember reading in this thread that the 9/11 GI Bill will reimburse you for various exams, and I was excited because I plan on taking the MCAT in the next year. Luckily I found some of the fine print...

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29

"You will be charged one month of entitlement for each $1,601.69 reimbursed for academic year 2013 (and one month of entitlement for each $1,501.19 reimbursed for academic year 2012). Your entitlement charged is rounded to the nearest non-zero whole month; this means even low-cost tests are charged one month of entitlement per test."

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If I go to a Yellow Ribbon school but after a semester decide to transfer to a different YR-friendly school, can I still get Yellow Ribbon or is that a one shot only thing?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

shyduck posted:

If I go to a Yellow Ribbon school but after a semester decide to transfer to a different YR-friendly school, can I still get Yellow Ribbon or is that a one shot only thing?

The benefits might change, but you'll still be eligible.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

shyduck posted:

Make sure that school doesn't have a restriction in how many YR vets they pay for. Some schools limit it by college or degree.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah both schools have unlimited funds/enrollment for YR, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I found out today I got accepted into Drexel, but to get accepted into the Mech E program I have to do a "Military Transition Program", which is basically playing catch-up on necessary pre-reqs and also showing that I'm academically worthy enough for the program (being a lazy rear end in a top hat 10 years ago at community college caught up with me). So essentially I'm considered undeclared. I'm also preparing an application for Temple, just to see what they say. Drexel is extremely fickle about accepting credits because they operate differently, so I want to keep my options open.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 21, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyduck posted:

Yeah both schools have unlimited funds/enrollment for YR, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I found out today I got accepted into Drexel, but to get accepted into the Mech E program I have to do a "Military Transition Program", which is basically playing catch-up on necessary pre-reqs and also showing that I'm academically worthy enough for the program (being a lazy rear end in a top hat 10 years ago at community college caught up with me). So essentially I'm considered undeclared. I'm also preparing an application for Temple, just to see what they say. Drexel is extremely fickle about accepting credits because they operate differently, so I want to keep my options open.

It seems engineering programs are always picky about credits. My girlfriend is going to Drexel for biotechnology starting this fall after two years at community college and they took every single credit no questions asked. But I always hear from engineers how their schools are nazis about taking credits.

So for schools that do have limits on the yellow ribbon program how does that work? I assume some random system based on seniority or GPA or something?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Did she go to Bucks? That's probably why, they've got agreements with some of the local schools on that stuff. I went to Bucks too, but my GPA sucked, hence my specific issue. I'm just hoping they take my Comp 1 and 2, which I did well in.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyduck posted:

Did she go to Bucks? That's probably why, they've got agreements with some of the local schools on that stuff. I went to Bucks too, but my GPA sucked, hence my specific issue. I'm just hoping they take my Comp 1 and 2, which I did well in.

Yeah Bucks, saves her a real lovely drive.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Vasudus posted:

They usually tell you in the letter 'after the period ending blah/blah/2013' how much time you'll have left.

Mine didn't, just said this is how much time you have left and you benefits expire on this date.

Victor Vermis posted:

ebenfits.va.gov is a lot easier to understand than those damned letters- I forgot all about the site until someone reminded me when I asked that same question on here.

Thanks man, that actually helped. Ebenefits didn't specify if the current period was included or not but it listed all the benefits I used. Some quick math showed that the listed time remaining is what you have left after your current enrollment period. I assumed that's how it worked but I've been burned before by things that seem obvious but aren't specifically stated. I'm trying to figure out exactly when my poo poo will run out so I'll know when/if I should switch to voc rehab.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

gleep gloop posted:

So for schools that do have limits on the yellow ribbon program how does that work? I assume some random system based on seniority or GPA or something?

The schools I've talked to about it have it as a first come first serve thing, where you maintain your YR as long as you're in school and then once someone on the roster leaves/graduates the person at the top of the list takes their spot.

zoop
Sep 11, 2012
So I'm looking into Colorado State University Global Campus for a MS in Information Technology with a specialization in Cyber Security (I already have a meh unrelated 3.1 GPA bachelors from a brick and mortar). Anyone have any experience with them?

Also after reading the Op, Connecticut schools sound pretty awesome with the 100% tuition waived thing (I'm only 50% post 9/11). Moving there right now isn't an option though. Does anyone know offhand if they do any online graduate programs? I'm continuing to look around at the moment.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

shyduck posted:

While this may not be useful for your situation, I was told at the PSU VA office when I was still uncertain whether or not they would consider me an in-state student that, while they do have a cap of (I think) 150/yr Yellow Ribbon at main campus, they have never come close to that total. I've been told the total Veteran population at PSU (a school of 40k students local, not including world campus) is somewhere around 500. While I wouldn't encourage you to scale that number, if you aren't in a base-heavy area, you should have good prospects using YR even if there is a cap.

e: This was probably a better reply to HB.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 22, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

SquirrelyPSU posted:

While this may not be useful for your situation, I was told at the PSU VA office when I was still uncertain whether or not they would consider me an in-state student that, while they do have a cap of (I think) 150/yr Yellow Ribbon at main campus, they have never come close to that total. I've been told the total Veteran population at PSU (a school of 40k students local, not including world campus) is somewhere around 500. While I wouldn't encourage you to scale that number, if you aren't in a base-heavy area, you should have good prospects using YR even if there is a cap.

e: This was probably a better reply to HB.

With as many vets as I know are in PA this is sad. It really tells how many are going to for profit schools. I know there are a ton of other good schools in PA but it's like Vas says, something like 80% of GI Bill money goes to places like Phoenix.

Edit: Haha I just decided to google worst colleges and

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 22, 2013

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Three guys from the circle of friends I went to AIT with have gone to University of Pheonix. I've told every one of them they're dumbfucks and outlined how dumb a bunch of fucks they are in excruciating detail. I really don't know how such a lovely diploma mill gets its claws into so many people. When you're given a free ride to a state college but say 'nope' then there's pretty much no hope for you.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
When I was still in, I gave weekly training sessions, and did one on the GI Bill. I more or less read the OP of this thread verbatim, and was able to reconcile a lot of peoples preconceptions wrt to Montgomery GI Bill, community college, having bad grades, etc.

Helped out a couple of those guys who didnt know poo poo steer their post military careers in better directions. It's crazy how misinformed about their benefits most service members are.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DoD/VA just needs to just outlaw benefits going to for-profits, because people really do need their hands held apparently.

Actually no, scratch that, keep going to the bad colleges so I'll have a better chance of finding a quality job. Keep it up!

edit: The worst part is they even manage to hook plenty of smart, reasonable people as well. I work with a couple of people going to Phoenix and I think Devry, but there's so much better out there

Why do you not want better :negative:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 23, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

shyduck posted:

DoD/VA just needs to just outlaw benefits going to for-profits, because people really do need their hands held apparently.

Actually no, scratch that, keep going to the bad colleges so I'll have a better chance of finding a quality job. Keep it up!

edit: The worst part is they even manage to hook plenty of smart, reasonable people as well. I work with a couple of people going to Phoenix and I think Devry, but there's so much better out there

Why do you not want better :negative:
Isn't that a lot of why Obama wants to create a college ranking system? That way, GI Bill benefits could be denied to the shittiest schools.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In a perfect world, for-profit schools would be ineligible for any form of federal money.

But nothing will happen with them.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSxyVq5Kxg

sounds pretty legit to me

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

"thousands are hired my many top companies"

walmart and mcdonalds are pretty high up there, so they're technically not lying

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
So I received my stipend for books and supplies, but since I'm still active duty until September 2nd, no BAH. Should I expect BAH to start automatically next month, or should I try to contact someone to make sure they're aware I've separated?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

scavok posted:

So I received my stipend for books and supplies, but since I'm still active duty until September 2nd, no BAH. Should I expect BAH to start automatically next month, or should I try to contact someone to make sure they're aware I've separated?

You should absolutely make sure they know. I was screwed for most of my first semester because the VA thought I was still on active duty - despite going to school over 400 miles away from the closest AD Air Force base.

I had to borrow money from my parents to pay rent :negative:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

scavok posted:

I think you already said this but I just want to make sure that you're aware that you will receive 0 BAH stipend from the GI bill for the month of September since you received 2 days worth of BAH from active duty.

Everything "should" be automatic though.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

KetTarma posted:

nonononononono contact them and make sure they know you separated it absolutely won't be automatic

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I think you already said this but I just want to make sure that you're aware that you will receive 0 BAH stipend from the GI bill for the month of September since you received 2 days worth of BAH from active duty.

Wait seriously? My ETS is jan 3, so I won't any BAH from the GI bill even though I start classes on the 13th of jan? Just like 110 prorated BAH bucks?
I start terminal in November if that matters.
gently caress army.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Never EVER assume the VA will automatically so it's job without you having to do anything.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

KetTarma posted:

No, I meant for August. I had no idea they didn't prorate it, that's pretty loving dumb. Not that big of an impact since I'm only taking online classes, but drat that could have been bad if I had only made a few different decisions.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Bodanarko posted:

Wait seriously? My ETS is jan 3, so I won't any BAH from the GI bill even though I start classes on the 13th of jan? Just like 110 prorated BAH bucks?
I start terminal in November if that matters.
gently caress army.

The best part: it still counts towards your benefit time. You just dont get paid for it. I had ... many .. emotional conversations with the VA before finding out that my problem was a by-the-book handling of BAH.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

i would just like to say that i really like online classes because i can be antisocial and get drunk alone and still accomplish things

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

white privilege posted:

i would just like to say that i really like online classes because i can be antisocial and get drunk alone and still accomplish things
Online classes are awesome for that. Don't even have to drink alone- you can chat with other drunken classmates during class, too and nones the wiser.

e: sad we need to clarify, but I mean online classes from real schools, not an lol fake school

grover fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I just had a guy ask me for advice on facebook as to why he isn't getting any callbacks for jobs.
I look over his details and see that he got his undergrad from Excelsior and his masters from Capella.

Don't be this guy.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I have never received book money or tuition payment late (not counting the first payment to the college when I first used the GI Bill). I finally got book stipend today, does that mean tuition is on its way yet? First time in two years someone hosed poo poo up. Paperwork was all done the same time as husband, he's been paid for a week now. :(

I have plans for that pell grant, dammit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

I have never received book money or tuition payment late (not counting the first payment to the college when I first used the GI Bill). I finally got book stipend today, does that mean tuition is on its way yet? First time in two years someone hosed poo poo up. Paperwork was all done the same time as husband, he's been paid for a week now. :(

I have plans for that pell grant, dammit.

Generally speaking the stipend arrives before tuition, because it's supposed to be entered well in advance. You get your book stipend before classes start ideally, so you can buy books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Vasudus posted:

Generally speaking the stipend arrives before tuition, because it's supposed to be entered well in advance. You get your book stipend before classes start ideally, so you can buy books.

Well classes started last week.... soo..... :(

• Locked thread