Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
EDIT: nevermind, it wasn't a problem with the query

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Karthe posted:

The query to retrieve column ke_priority is a bit crazy because, for any given Japanese reading in r_ele, there may or may not be an accompanying word-containing-kanji in its sister table k_ele. Therefore, for each r_ele.fk, I have to match k_ele.fk to grab k_ele.value (the accompanying word-containing-kanji if it exists), then retrieve that word's k_ele.id to match against ke_pri.fk, containing a list of priority tags assigned to that particular k_ele.value. It's convoluted I know, but a simple JOIN of k_ele to r_ele left out all entries in r_ele that didn't have a corresponding entry in k_ele. I need to make sure that I'm going through every entry in r_ele and grabbing the other information from k_ele if it exists.

Look into outer joins to include entries in r_ele that might not have entries in k_ele. You'll get NULLs as replacement values, so be careful with how you apply functions to the result.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

Look into outer joins to include entries in r_ele that might not have entries in k_ele. You'll get NULLs as replacement values, so be careful with how you apply functions to the result.
It turns out I was missing an index. Someone had me run EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN on the statement and pointed out that an automatic covering index was being created on k_ele.value. After I created a new index on k_ele(value), the query execution time went from almost two seconds down to 0.0006 seconds.

On that note, is there a good explanation on how SQL indices work? I still have only a tenuous understanding of them - for example, I have no idea why
SQL code:
CREATE INDEX k_ele_value ON k_ele (value ASC);
is needed when I already have an index that indexes that column:
SQL code:
CREATE INDEX k_ele_fk ON k_ele (fk ASC, value ASC);

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
Start with the documentation for your DB

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.1/static/indices-multicolumn.html posted:

The query optimizer can use a multi-column index for queries that involve the first n consecutive columns in the index (when used with appropriate operators), up to the total number of columns specified in the index definition. For example, an index on (a, b, c) can be used in queries involving all of a, b, and c, or in queries involving both a and b, or in queries involving only a, but not in other combinations. (In a query involving a and c the optimizer might choose to use the index for a only and treat c like an ordinary unindexed column.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't see it mentioned often anywhere, but is anyone here familiar with Sybase? I have a client with a dental management program that runs on a Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.x backend, and let's just say that the application in question has earned a "Best of" DailyWTF entry for how badly it uses said database. http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Classic-WTF-Rutherford,-Price,-Atkinson,-Strickland,-and-Associates-Dentistry,-Inc.aspx

We actually have the remote sites all connecting back to a pair of terminal servers to run this application "locally" at the main site thanks to this idiotic implementation, and don't even get me started on the hacks that are the backup scripts to make it work right.

Anyways, we're having odd load issues with the server where idle CPU usage on the database process will never go below 25% and performance suffers greatly, where under normal use it's floating near zero. Disconnecting all clients has no immediate impact, though usually if left for 30-60 minutes it will suddenly fall off to zero. Restarting the DB server resolves the issue until it comes back again some days or weeks later.

The machine is a dedicated 2008R2 box with 16GB of RAM and a Xeon E5640, though ASA7 is apparently 32 bit w/o LAA so it doesn't use more than 2GB ever.

The application vendor has been less than helpful, so I'm looking for any resources that might help me try to at least determine what the database is doing when it gets stuck like this.

Sybase's public docs are not proving amazingly useful, they seem to be sort of like MSDN in that the information is probably there somewhere, but finding it is proving to be a challenge. Being apparently eight versions behind current of course doesn't help either, as much of the documentation I can find is made for much newer code.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have a query I'm running on football data from here: http://armchairanalysis.com/data.php

It's loaded into a mysql database and the schema for the relevant tables looks like this:
code:
mysql> describe players;
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| PLAYER   | varchar(6)   | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| FNAME    | varchar(20)  | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| LNAME    | varchar(25)  | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PNAME    | varchar(25)  | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| POS1     | varchar(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| POS2     | varchar(2)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| HEIGHT   | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| WEIGHT   | int(3)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| YOB      | int(4)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| FORTY    | decimal(3,2) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| BENCH    | tinyint(2)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| VERTICAL | decimal(3,1) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| BROAD    | int(3)       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| SHUTTLE  | decimal(3,2) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| CONE     | decimal(3,2) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| DPOS     | int(3)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| COL      | varchar(35)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| DV       | varchar(35)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| START    | int(4)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| CTEAM    | varchar(3)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

mysql> describe games;
+-------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| GID   | int(5)       | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| SEAS  | int(4)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| WK    | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| DAY   | varchar(3)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| V     | varchar(3)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| H     | varchar(3)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| STAD  | varchar(45)  | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TEMP  | varchar(4)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| HUMD  | varchar(4)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| WSPD  | varchar(4)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| WDIR  | varchar(4)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| COND  | varchar(15)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| SURF  | varchar(30)  | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| OU    | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| SPRV  | decimal(3,1) | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PTSV  | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PTSH  | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |

mysql> describe offense;
+--------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field  | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| UID    | int(6)       | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| GID    | int(5)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PLAYER | varchar(6)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PA     | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PC     | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PY     | int(3)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| INT    | tinyint(1)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TDP    | tinyint(1)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| RA     | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| SRA    | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| RY     | int(3)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TDR    | tinyint(1)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TRG    | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| REC    | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| RECY   | int(3)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TDRE   | tinyint(1)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| FUML   | tinyint(1)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| PENY   | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| FPTS   | decimal(3,1) | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| GAME   | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| SEAS   | tinyint(2)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| YEAR   | int(4)       | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
| TEAM   | varchar(3)   | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
I'm trying to run a query to get QB data but I'm getting some weird stuff out of mysql and I'm not sure what to google. Sample query:
code:
SELECT players.FNAME, players.LNAME, players.POS1, games.SEAS, games.WK, offense.TEAM
FROM games
    JOIN offense
        ON offense.GID=games.GID
    JOIN players
        ON players.PLAYER=offense.PLAYER
WHERE games.SEAS=2012 and players.POS1 = "QB"
GROUP BY players.FNAME, players.LNAME, games.GID;
Here is the weirdness in the results:
code:
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 |  6 | NYJ  |
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 |  7 | NYJ  |
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 |  8 | NYJ  |
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 | 10 | NYJ  |
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 | 11 | NYJ  |
| Tim       | Tebow          | QB   | 2012 | 15 | NYJ  |
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  1 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  2 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  3 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  4 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  5 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  6 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  7 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 |  8 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 10 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 11 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 12 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 13 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 14 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 15 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 16 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 17 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 19 | NE
  |om       | Brady          | QB   | 2012 | 20 | NE
| Tony      | Romo           | QB   | 2012 |  1 | DAL  |
| Tony      | Romo           | QB   | 2012 |  2 | DAL  |
| Tony      | Romo           | QB   | 2012 |  3 | DAL  |
Some fields are all jacked up. What the heck?

edit: only happens to players w/ 2 letter team names

edit2: turns out the import data was CRLF but I thought it was just LF so the funkiness is the CR since the team name field is at the end of the line

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 23, 2013

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dren posted:

Some fields are all jacked up. What the heck?

edit: only happens to players w/ 2 letter team names

edit2: turns out the import data was CRLF but I thought it was just LF so the funkiness is the CR since the team name field is at the end of the line

You've already found your problem, but to prevent future ones I'd suggest double checking your encoding/localization. Unless it's changed mysql by default doesn't deal with them too well, and it breaks things further down the line if any of the players have unicode/high bit characters in their name.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there any reasons not to specify ON DELETE CASCADE in PG? I really like the convenience of being able to delete one single row at the top of the relationship chain and not have to bother cleaning the DB bottom-up. I've heard arguments that it protects you against fat fingering things accidentally in production, but seriously? I'd appreciate an expert opinion on this one.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there any reasons not to specify ON DELETE CASCADE in PG? I really like the convenience of being able to delete one single row at the top of the relationship chain and not have to bother cleaning the DB bottom-up. I've heard arguments that it protects you against fat fingering things accidentally in production, but seriously? I'd appreciate an expert opinion on this one.
Perhaps SET DEFAULT or SET NULL makes more sense for the columns with references. :razz:

To be more serious, ask yourself an opposing question: Under what circumstances would you want CASCADE? You've mentioned wanting everything else referencing the data to disappear, but in what situation does that make sense? Will a cascading delete lead to data invalidation or inconsistency (with the real-world reality being modeled)? Does it save you from considerable work or only a minimal effort?

Now think of some of the things that could go wrong: Do you truly want it to delete, or is a null or default option more appropriate? What should happen if a cascade starts but encounters a referenced column down the line that doesn't cascade? How do you handle cascading into a many-to-many relationship (when you delete an account, do you just delete the item from the receipt that credited that account, or do you delete the entire receipt)? Do you want it to cascade into trillions of referencing rows, or should that be handled manually during maintenance to prevent database response issues? While auto-vacuum will mark pages for use, does this change your routine vacuum schedule?

If you're building proper triggers and/or procedures for more complicated structures, then you need to set RESTRICT so you can raise and trap errors. You'd be stuck with a two-pass approach in the application otherwise (check for references before deleting), whereas a procedure can ensure that appropriately-referencing rows are removed and raise an exception to return to the application. The distinction is "delete from user where name='moses'" and not really knowing what CASCADE deleted, versus the noise that is likely to be generated when you "strike_from_the_memory_of_man('moses')". :buddy:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 25, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My opinion doesn't really qualify as "expert", but I think the answer is that like a lot of useful tools, there are good places to use ON DELETE CASCADE, and bad places to use it!

A good example of a place where you might use ON DELETE CASCADE selectively: you have an on-line game. Chess or something, maybe. Users can "favourite" games they think are good. So you have a table User, and a table Game, and a table FavouritedGame. FavouritedGame has foreign keys to User and Game. You might want to provide for the possibility that games can be deleted. But you don't want that operation to be blocked by users "favouriting" the game in question, that would be kind of silly. Nor does it really make sense to retain rows in FavouritedGame but with the Game column set to null, or anything like that. So you use ON DELETE CASCADE to save you the trivial task of going through and deleting rows from FavouritedGame when you want to delete the game.

Suppose you also want to provide for the possibility of a user deleting their account. Obviously you add ON DELETE CASCADE to the User column in FavouritedGames. But Game also has a foreign key to User. Or maybe it has two, one for Black and one for White. Let's assume you haven't used a cross-reference table, because this is a simple and contrived example. This time you don't want to delete all games that a user has played in, just because you're deleting that user. The user's opponents might want to look back over the games they've played, and you would annoy them if they could be deleted like that. This time, you probably use ON DELETE SET NULL instead.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Ok makes sense, thanks you two. Is the downside mainly that once in a blue moon I'll have to write this giant transaction that will have to delete every table bottom up? Or as you said, not just delete but perhaps set a deletion flag and clean it up later? This way I get much more manual control over these rows?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I fixed a mistake I made but I'm not sure why Select works but not Delete.
Below:

code:
Delete from Table where 'Column'='shitbarn' {0 rows}
Delete from Table where Column='shitbarn' {6 rows}
Why is that?
Whereas,
code:
Select * from Table where 'Column'='shitbarn' {6 rows}
I know the quotes around the column name are not necessary
and it's my mistake and I normally don't do that but why does the select work
and not the delete?

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
Single quotes are for literal strings, so 'Column'='shitbarn' is effectively false. Try double quotes.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

TheReverend posted:

So I fixed a mistake I made but I'm not sure why Select works but not Delete.
Below:

code:
Delete from Table where 'Column'='shitbarn' {0 rows}
Delete from Table where Column='shitbarn' {6 rows}
Why is that?
Whereas,
code:
Select * from Table where 'Column'='shitbarn' {6 rows}
I know the quotes around the column name are not necessary
and it's my mistake and I normally don't do that but why does the select work
and not the delete?

The quotes around the column name make it no longer a column name, but just a string, with the literal value "Column".

So you are asking to delete all rows where the value "Column" is the same as the value "shitbarn". Those two strings are never the same, obviously, so no rows are deleted.

That said, your select statement should also be returning zero rows. I suspect in your select statement you are using "double quotes" instead of 'single quotes' around the column name, because double quotes are used to quote names instead of values.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks! I normally have no quotes around any column name but I hosed up and wanted to know what was going on.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

with "proper quoting" as (select few 'distinguish' proper from improper) delete from only the "intended tables";
DELETE 0

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MS SQL 2005/8/12

I have to streamline a process where a user (and eventually our automation software) has to run a query after running a program to make sure it did what we wanted it to do because our software vendor are all horrible monsters who have trouble releasing not completely poo poo code :argh:

Right now we are using a wrapper for osql which is meh but is limited. I am trying to write something new and make it somewhat secure & not be able to drop tables

If I set my script/program up to do

code:
"select " + string
Does that limit my users to only do select queries? Or can they still reverse-comment out the select and write their own insert or drop query through SQL black magic?

Right now I am handling it with "select " + var + "from" + var + "where etc etc but I would like to have a manual override option where they can just dump in the entire query similar to osql. But also I don't want a disgruntled user to drop our main production table(s).

TL;DR I am rewriting osql but want to limit it to select queries ha;lp

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 27, 2013

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
select 0; drop table users

Give read-only authority to the users. Problem solved.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks sir.

We have a replicated db, I will just read from that then.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need to come up with a query that will let me select kanji by choosing their individual components. For starters, here's some sample output to help illustrate what I need to do:

# |id |radicals
----+----+-------+------
1 |1 |亜 |一(1) |(2) 口(38)
2 |2 |唖 |一(1) |(2) 口(38)
3 |3 |娃 |土(40) 女(45)
4 |4 |阿 |一(1) 亅(6) 口(38)
5 |5 |哀 |亠(8) 口(38) 衣(177

Grabbing all kanji that have, say, radical #1 is easy enough, just a simple WHERE radical_fk = #. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to grab all kanji matching multiple radicals. I tried something like this:

SQL code:
SELECT
WHERE radical_fk = 1 AND radical_fk = 2
But of course that's stupid and didn't work. I also tried using WHERE...IN() like so:

SQL code:
SELECT
WHERE radical_fk IN (1, 2)
But that returns ANY kanji containing either 1 or 2, even if I group on the kanji itself.

I need to return only those kanji that match ALL of the radical_fk's that I feed it. How can I make this happen?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I usually do the join with the query (read: IN (q1,q2,q3,...) in your case) and then: group by id having count(distinct radicals)=(number of radicals in your query).

Probably far from optimized for specific applications, but that's one general approach.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
This should be a pretty easy one, but I can't for the life of me wrap my head around it.

In a SQL Server 2008 R2 database, I have a table called Recordings, which has a column called CatalogNo, and a column called Label. I have another table called Labels, which has a column called URL, and a column called Label. Recordings.Label is currently null. Recordings.CatalogNo has Catalog Number data in it, except when it has a URL in it (starting with 'http://'). That URL matches a row in Labels.URL. Every row in Recordings after the row with a URL in the CatalogNo column needs to have its Recordings.Label field updated with the corresponding Labels.Label data, until Recordings.Catalogno hits a new URL and starts over.

I'm assuming I have to do something with cursors, but I have no idea how to write a statement that does what I need, and I've written a bunch of stuff so far that doesn't update anything at all and just runs forever. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

e: whoops I tried again and it crashed Management Studio. I am not good at computers.

e2: I might have it. Now to let it chew through everything and see if it actually works.

e3: Jesus Christ cursors are slow. ~1/5 done after an hour and 45 minutes.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 31, 2013

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Karthe posted:

I need to return only those kanji that match ALL of the radical_fk's that I feed it. How can I make this happen?

Sounds like a great use case for arrays

=# create table kanji(id serial, char text, radicals int[]);
=# insert into kanji(char, radicals) values ('亜', '{1,2,38}'), ('唖', '{1,2,38}'), ('娃 ' '{40,45}'), ('阿', '{1,6,38}'), ('哀', '{8,38,177}');
INSERT 0 5
=# select * from kanji;
id | char | radicals
----+------+------------
1 | 亜 | {1,2,38}
2 | 唖 | {1,2,38}
3 | 娃 | {40,45}
4 | 阿 | {1,6,38}
5 | 哀 | {8,38,177}
(5 rows)

=# select * from kanji where radicals @> '{1,2}';
id | char | radicals
----+------+----------
1 | 亜 | {1,2,38}
2 | 唖 | {1,2,38}
(2 rows)

Time: 1.304 ms
=# select * from kanji where radicals @> '{1}';
id | char | radicals
----+------+----------
1 | 亜 | {1,2,38}
2 | 唖 | {1,2,38}
4 | 阿 | {1,6,38}
(3 rows)

Time: 0.260 ms
=# select * from kanji where radicals @> '{38}';
id | char | radicals
----+------+------------
1 | 亜 | {1,2,38}
2 | 唖 | {1,2,38}
4 | 阿 | {1,6,38}
5 | 哀 | {8,38,177}
(4 rows)
=# select * from kanji where radicals @> '{38,200}';
id | char | radicals
----+------+----------
(0 rows)

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005
Edit : there was a stupid simple solution to this question.

MightyShadow fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 3, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MightyShadow posted:

I have another stupid question that probably has a really simple answer but I just can't think of it.

I have an existing query

code:
SELECT category, 
       Sum(openingstockvalue)    AS Opening, 
       Sum(purchasedstockvalues) AS Purchased, 
       Sum(damagedstockvalue)    AS Damaged, 
       Sum(freestockvalue)       AS Free, 
       Sum(stockamendmentsvalue) AS Amendments, 
       Sum(salesvalue)           AS Sales, 
       Sum(stock)                AS CurrentStock 
FROM   wholesaleyearlystock 
       LEFT JOIN wholesaleproducts 
              ON wholesaleyearlystock.productstaticid = 
                 wholesaleproducts.staticid 
       INNER JOIN wholesalesize 
               ON wholesalesize.id = wholesaleproducts.sizeid 
       INNER JOIN wholesalemanufacturer 
               ON wholesalemanufacturer.id = wholesaleproducts.manufacturerid 
       INNER JOIN wholesalecategory 
               ON wholesalecategory.id = wholesaleproducts.categoryid 
WHERE  active = 1 
       AND year BETWEEN '2013' AND '2013' 
GROUP  BY category 
ORDER  BY category ASC 
That I must modify to include another field : SUM(WholesaleProducts.CostPrice) AS consignedstockvalue. This value should sum the cost prices of all the times that record appears in WholesaleConsignedItems.
However, the only way to link this field to the current query is by making a join through 2 other tables, one of which is the records of sales, which gives me repeated rows with the same product, therefore changing the sum of my other values.

What I need to do is add a join like this:

code:
JOIN wholesalerecords ON wholesalerecords.productid = wholesaleproducts.staticid 
JOIN wholesaleconsigneditems ON wholesaleconsigneditems.wholesalerecordid = 
wholesalerecords.id 
and add
code:
 WHERE ItemConsStatus = 1 
without interfering with the other sums.

The query I need to add on its own is
code:
SELECT category, 
       Sum(wholesaleproducts.costprice) AS Consigned 
FROM   wholesaleconsigneditems 
       INNER JOIN wholesalerecords 
               ON wholesalerecords.id = 
                  wholesaleconsigneditems.wholesalerecordsid 
       INNER JOIN wholesaleproducts 
               ON wholesaleproducts.id = wholesalerecords.productid 
               ON wholesalecategory.id = wholesaleproducts.id 
WHERE  active = 1 
GROUP  BY category 
ORDER  BY category ASC  
Is this possible at all?

Edit: Tried to make it clearer.
Edit 2: I may end up just making it a subquery if it's too complicated. It doesn't have to be efficient for now, it just needs to work.
Edit 3: A subquery wouldn't work, since the Categories shown wouldn't match.

Looks quite complicated. You might need to join to a subquery??? Wait for other opinions before relying on this advice, I'm not very confident about this.

code:
SELECT category, 
       Sum(openingstockvalue)    AS Opening, 
       Sum(purchasedstockvalues) AS Purchased, 
       Sum(damagedstockvalue)    AS Damaged, 
       Sum(freestockvalue)       AS Free, 
       Sum(stockamendmentsvalue) AS Amendments, 
       Sum(salesvalue)           AS Sales, 
       Sum(stock)                AS CurrentStock, 
       Sum(other thing)          AS OtherThing
FROM   wholesaleyearlystock 
       LEFT JOIN wholesaleproducts 
              ON wholesaleyearlystock.productstaticid = 
                 wholesaleproducts.staticid 
       INNER JOIN wholesalesize 
               ON wholesalesize.id = wholesaleproducts.sizeid 
       INNER JOIN wholesalemanufacturer 
               ON wholesalemanufacturer.id = wholesaleproducts.manufacturerid 
               ON wholesalecategory.id = wholesaleproducts.categoryid 
       INNER JOIN (SELECT ...)
               ON
WHERE  active = 1 
       AND year BETWEEN '2013' AND '2013' 
GROUP  BY category 
ORDER  BY category ASC 

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005
Don't worry about it, I don't need to use the wholesaleconsigneditems table to calculate the value I need, I just got a total amount of consigneditem for each product and multiplied it by the cost price.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Question: (for mySQL 5.1)

I have a big table with a primary key column (row_id bigint unsigned).
Each row also has a type (there are less than 20 types all in all). One certain type makes up more than 95% of all entries in this table, and performance is becoming an issue.
Since there are a lot of queries that do or could select on only one type, I thought I would implement partitioning on this table. Every type gets its own partition and if I select something from the smaller types, I only have a few thousand rows in my partition to go through instead of the 25 million row table.
Unfortunately partitioning only works on primary key columns. So I changed the primary key to (row_id, row_type) and partitioning worked. But I want to avoid row_id duplicates across the row_types. So I added a unique key (row_id) so there can only be one.
But then partitioning no longer works because unique keys need to contain all columns used in partitioning. There goes my plan :(
The row_id is more or less random (chosen by some users according to their own system), is there any way to implement useful partitioning on this table?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

BabyFur Denny posted:

Question: (for mySQL 5.1)

I have a big table with a primary key column (row_id bigint unsigned).
Each row also has a type (there are less than 20 types all in all). One certain type makes up more than 95% of all entries in this table, and performance is becoming an issue.
Since there are a lot of queries that do or could select on only one type, I thought I would implement partitioning on this table. Every type gets its own partition and if I select something from the smaller types, I only have a few thousand rows in my partition to go through instead of the 25 million row table.
Unfortunately partitioning only works on primary key columns. So I changed the primary key to (row_id, row_type) and partitioning worked. But I want to avoid row_id duplicates across the row_types. So I added a unique key (row_id) so there can only be one.
But then partitioning no longer works because unique keys need to contain all columns used in partitioning. There goes my plan :(
The row_id is more or less random (chosen by some users according to their own system), is there any way to implement useful partitioning on this table?

You could use (row_type, row_id) as the primary key and simply accept that rows will be identified by (row_type, row_id) pairs rather than row_id on its own. Alternatively you could use actual separate tables, but this change may be impractical for your application.

But you say that you want to do this because performance is becoming a problem. With proper use of indexes, it seems like this should not be a problem with 25 million rows. What indexes exist on this table?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
This is coming from an MSSQL background, so take this with the appropriately-sized pinch of salt, but there a couple of red flags there for me.

The row_id being random - you imply it's inserted in random order, or at least never ascending or descending consistently. Assuming this is clustered, that's going to be a bad thing. Your best clustering index is one that is a) guaranteed to be unique and b) updated consistently up or down (and yeah, narrow and static :)). You may need to add your own column to this to sort out the ordering - then index the rest appropriately and you'll likely see a performance benefit.

Second thing is that in the scenario you're describing, partitioning isn't really going to give you much benefit. If the data ages and/or decays a timestamp is often good; if not you should really consider a scheme that will divide the data a little more evenly than 95% in one and nineteen other tiny parts - is there any other organisational unit you can harness, even if it means copying a related column in?

Third thing is in MSSQL at least you don't absolutely have to have the partition in your primary key; you can cluster in the partition column and pop the key in non-clustered. To be fair though by what I've heard of your situation so far I would be inclined to create your own auto-increment column composite with the partition column, clustered primary key - and pop the types in on a non-clustered index with any other columns desired (type first) with the partition included for alignment if that matters on MySQL.

That third bit is from ignorance of MySQL though, just making assumptions according to MSSQL.

What does your data look like? Are there any relevant lookups you could denormalize a little to help partitioning?

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 4, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Moogle posted:

The row_id being random - you imply it's inserted in random order, or at least never ascending or descending consistently. Assuming this is clustered, that's going to be a bad thing. Your best clustering index is one that is a) guaranteed to be unique and b) updated consistently up or down (and yeah, narrow and static :)). You may need to add your own column to this to sort out the ordering - then index the rest appropriately and you'll likely see a performance benefit.

Oh, yeah I did not catch this. That is kind of a weird way to design a table. Try running OPTIMIZE TABLE and see if there is any improvement.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

How do people deal with needing different versions of a very similar parameterized query? For example, sometimes I might want an insert with or without RETURNING (PG-only). Sometimes I want LIMIT 1, sometimes a certain sorting order etc. Manually writing permutations of all these queries sounds like a bad idea for long-term maintenance as the schema changes. Let's say you're not using a full-blown ORM, what are your options? Do people seriously roll their own query builders?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
There has to be hundreds of query building libraries for each language by now that aren't full blown ORMs.
http://www.jooq.org/
https://code.google.com/p/python-sql/
http://sqlobject.org/SQLBuilder.html

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

edit: I'm a dumbass who didn't read the OP.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 7, 2013

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

You might want to pose that question here instead of the SQL thread.
I mean, we could take a crack at it but we'd probably suggest changing your schema or adding a HAVING clause or some poo poo. :yayclod:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I mean, we could take a crack at it but we'd probably suggest changing your schema or adding a HAVING clause or some poo poo. :yayclod:
Oh poo poo though this was the general stupid questions thread.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Nth Doctor posted:

I did actually look up a fast fourier transform postgres extension to respond with :v:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DreadCthulhu posted:

How do people deal with needing different versions of a very similar parameterized query?
I didn't like the answers because I didn't like the question. :razz: Do you mean a VIEW or a set-returning FUNCTION? If you want something returned, why not always return it and ignore it when you don't need it? Did you mean LIMIT 1 or CURSOR or PREPARE? A database reorg requires appropriate attention be given to all the objects, not just the tables, and while PostgreSQL tries to help you (ERROR: cannot drop table X because other objects depend on it... DETAIL: type Y depends on table X...), it certainly won't catch trouble outside the database until the code passes in the old/faulty queries.

Pardot posted:

I did actually look up a fast fourier transform postgres extension to respond with :v:
Ah, now I see why he edited out the entire post... well, it was a cute question anyway, and now I know someone has already built the functions for FFTs. That might come in handy.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I didn't like the answers because I didn't like the question. :razz: Do you mean a VIEW or a set-returning FUNCTION? If you want something returned, why not always return it and ignore it when you don't need it? Did you mean LIMIT 1 or CURSOR or PREPARE? A database reorg requires appropriate attention be given to all the objects, not just the tables, and while PostgreSQL tries to help you (ERROR: cannot drop table X because other objects depend on it... DETAIL: type Y depends on table X...), it certainly won't catch trouble outside the database until the code passes in the old/faulty queries.

I think my question was mostly about building parameterized SQL queries procedurally in the application layer, sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

On an unrelated note, I read these following two best practices recently in a "top 10 tricks that will make you awesome at SQL" posts somewhere and was wondering if you guys could comment on them:

• don't use select foo from a,b,c but instead using INNER JOIN
  • never do select *, explicitly list out all columns

I'm an unwashed newbie and am unable to appreciate the message. Could someone explain?