Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

How are u posted:

Well looks like Cruz just went and publicly renounced his Canadian citizenship. What a goofus. I find it hilarious that the state of our politics is such that somebody would actually do something like that.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/19/ted-cruz-renounces-canadian-citizenship-in-statement/

Last year, prime minister Stephen Harper called out the leader of the opposition party, Tom Mulcair, for having dual Canadian and French citizenship. Harper implied that it was un-Canadian and said a leader should have only one citizenship.

Mulcair told Harper to gently caress off, saying that "I have no lessons to receive about being Canadian from Stephen Harper" and "Let them bring it on."

Honestly, I think that sort of response could have played well for Cruz. There are probably millions of dual citizens in America. If anyone brought it up, he could have called them out for being so insecure in their own American identity that they need to attack his. Instead, he's running scared from his own history. It's pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Huge Liability posted:

Last year, prime minister Stephen Harper called out the leader of the opposition party, Tom Mulcair, for having dual Canadian and French citizenship. Harper implied that it was un-Canadian and said a leader should have only one citizenship.

Mulcair told Harper to gently caress off, saying that "I have no lessons to receive about being Canadian from Stephen Harper" and "Let them bring it on."

Honestly, I think that sort of response could have played well for Cruz. There are probably millions of dual citizens in America. If anyone brought it up, he could have called them out for being so insecure in their own American identity that they need to attack his. Instead, he's running scared from his own history. It's pathetic.

Except for the part where the only people bringing it up are members of his own party's nativist, anti-immigrant base. Cruz doesn't want to alienate those people - he wants to fire them up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crowfeathers posted:

Maybe Kissinger could be his running mate. Christie provides the popularity, Kissinger the experience (of being a war criminal). A winning ticket!

Fat/Phlegm 2016.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Entire Universe posted:

Fat/Phlegm 2016.

Obnoxious/Incoherent 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Obnoxious/Incoherent 2016

Hog/Hague 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator Ted Cruz is still a Canadian. For the next eight months, at least.

quote:

Senator Ted Cruz, who recently discovered that he is likely a Canadian, must win security clearance from Canada's spy agency, fill in a four-page form and then wait up to eight months to sever his ties to America's northern neighbor.

A person giving up citizenship must be Canadian, prove they are or will become a citizen of another country, not live in Canada and not be a security threat. They must also explain in writing why they don't want to be a Canadian any more.

A non-refundable C$100 ($96) fee is payable in advance.

I am very much looking forward to reading Ted Cruz's essay on why he hates Canada.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
What a tricky line to walk. Write an essay on why you hate a country so much that you'd deny their free gift of citizenship, while simultaneously not coming across as a threat. I'm thinking a transcription of the Canada song from MST3k would not meet those standards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can almost allow the Keystone XL, if Obama manages to convince Harper to keep this going into 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Do read all of the DMR's follow-along with Scotty Brown as he toured the Iowa State Fair.

quote:

1:40 p.m.: Before ordering food at a corn dog stand on the Grand Concourse, Brown checked to see if the reporters with him wanted anything. (They didn’t.) Of his first taste of the famous fair delicacy, he said: “It tastes like a hot dog with cornbread.”

Wicked smaht!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

Do read all of the DMR's follow-along with Scotty Brown as he toured the Iowa State Fair.

Wicked smaht!

It's quite a step up from :mitt: "Lemon. Wet. Good."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

Wicked smaht!

Corn doggin'

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

WampaLord posted:

It's quite a step up from :mitt: "Lemon. Wet. Good."

Wait, is this real or not? When I google "lemon wet good" the first thing is that joke guy from NY Mag, the second is Sam Seder being unlistenably obnoxious, and the third is a video where he drinks lemonade but doesn't say it.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Corn doggin'

Corn doggin' with Marcus

Is there any chance God will call her to run again in 16?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Something I don't get about Cruz, why doesn't he just turn into the dual-citizenship thing? Like, how easy would it be to get points with a simple 'of course I'm a dual citizen, because my parents wanted me to grow up in the land of opportunity, but this citizenship just shows that America is a great melting pot yada yada yada everyone is welcome as long as they're from white places yada yada yada'?

Doesn't he look worse by going "WHAT? CANADA? NO gently caress THAT PLACE I HATE IT GROSS YOU CAN'T BE A REAL AMERICAN IF YOU HAVE TIES TO ANY OTHER COUNTRY GROSS!"?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nice Davis posted:

Wait, is this real or not? When I google "lemon wet good" the first thing is that joke guy from NY Mag, the second is Sam Seder being unlistenably obnoxious, and the third is a video where he drinks lemonade but doesn't say it.

I don't think there's a viedo, but he did say it to reporters.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Something I don't get about Cruz, why doesn't he just turn into the dual-citizenship thing? Like, how easy would it be to get points with a simple 'of course I'm a dual citizen, because my parents wanted me to grow up in the land of opportunity, but this citizenship just shows that America is a great melting pot yada yada yada everyone is welcome as long as they're from white places yada yada yada'?

Doesn't he look worse by going "WHAT? CANADA? NO gently caress THAT PLACE I HATE IT GROSS YOU CAN'T BE A REAL AMERICAN IF YOU HAVE TIES TO ANY OTHER COUNTRY GROSS!"?

Dual citizenship can/does gently caress with US government security clearances, so it could prevent him from serving on certain subcommittees or otherwise hamstring him as a congresscritter.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not to the people whose votes he needs to get nominated for president when facing down Chris Christie and the RNC money train.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

He's going to write a 1000 word essay on why Canada is a nation of godless communists and his base is going to lap it up. Since he's chosen this path he should just embrace it fully.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The standard liberal line on Cruz seems to be that we should all be very scared of him because he's ultra-conservative but also brilliant. I think this is basically horseshit.

Sure, he's a very bright guy, and well-spoken. But he's utterly inflexible. Bush was no towering intellect, but he was far better suited to the role of GOP front-man because he put an amiable face on a regressive and reactionary ideology. Cruz's great talent is to fully embrace the sadism, bigotry, and willful stupidity of the Tea Party while giving it an air of grandiosity and solemnity, he flatters the teabaggers by casting them as inheritors of a long and proud tradition of Americans dedicated to liberty, as the inheritors of Jefferson and Adams rather than Calhoun and Davis. But this only works for the Tea Partiers. For most anyone outside the asylum, he comes off as unctuous and smug, more of a McCarthy than a Madison.

He's sort of like Gingrich, in a way. There's the same sense of immense self-regard and pseudo-intellectual bombast. Gingrich's schtick was letting conservatives believe they were the Defenders of Civilization rather than a bunch of mean-spirited nihilists. That's incredibly appealing to conservatives who absolutely despise being called racists and idiots. But he had too much baggage, and a tendency to wander off the reservation and engage either in heresy(calling Paul Ryan's plan social engineering) or get wrapped up in his personal obsessions(Newt Gingrich: Moon Emperor). Cruz has got pretty much all of Gingrich's strengths among conservatives and fewer of his weaknesses, but even less crossover appeal.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Dual citizenship can/does gently caress with US government security clearances, so it could prevent him from serving on certain subcommittees or otherwise hamstring him as a congresscritter.

Members of Congress actually don't require security clearance checks. Their election is considered a public mandate of trust and serves as a de facto clearance. You can well imagine the difficulty of requiring security clearances on the kind of people we elect - infidelity and financial wrongdoing are rampant, meaning that they are quite vulnerable to blackmail (which voids your clearance).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dusty posted:

Corn doggin' with Marcus

"DAMMIT, I AM GOING TO PUT THIS CORN DOG UP MY NOSE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THAT'S THE CORRECT WAY TO EAT IT!"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Is this a real thing? Howard Dean is exploring a presidential run?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317993-dean-to-test-presidential-waters-with-stops-in-iowa-new-hampshire

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I agree with your underlying point, but Cruz is intelligent in cognitive terms. His head is full of bad knowledge and he comes to all kinds of stupid conclusions, but I can assure you that he is not technically a dumb man. That's sort of what makes him dangerous. With some teabagger like Bachmann or Gohmert or whatever you know you're dealing with a mouth-breathing idiot, but with guys like Paul or Cruz you're in a bit more danger because they're smart enough to carry out complex behaviors and to handle technical tasks like running an organization.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Does he have a new book coming out or something?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Maybe some sort of "keeping the bastards honest" run?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Howard Dean ain't keeping anybody honest. Have you seen him on TV over the last few years? He's like a polished diamond, flacking for the admin in any way necessary.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SedanChair posted:

Howard Dean ain't keeping anybody honest. Have you seen him on TV over the last few years? He's like a polished diamond, flacking for the admin in any way necessary.

Except when he is criticizing Obamacare for being too harsh on medical device manufacturers that his lobbying firm represents.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Insect Court posted:

The standard liberal line on Cruz seems to be that we should all be very scared of him because he's ultra-conservative but also brilliant. I think this is basically horseshit.

Sure, he's a very bright guy, and well-spoken. But he's utterly inflexible. Bush was no towering intellect, but he was far better suited to the role of GOP front-man because he put an amiable face on a regressive and reactionary ideology. Cruz's great talent is to fully embrace the sadism, bigotry, and willful stupidity of the Tea Party while giving it an air of grandiosity and solemnity, he flatters the teabaggers by casting them as inheritors of a long and proud tradition of Americans dedicated to liberty, as the inheritors of Jefferson and Adams rather than Calhoun and Davis. But this only works for the Tea Partiers. For most anyone outside the asylum, he comes off as unctuous and smug, more of a McCarthy than a Madison.

He's sort of like Gingrich, in a way. There's the same sense of immense self-regard and pseudo-intellectual bombast. Gingrich's schtick was letting conservatives believe they were the Defenders of Civilization rather than a bunch of mean-spirited nihilists. That's incredibly appealing to conservatives who absolutely despise being called racists and idiots. But he had too much baggage, and a tendency to wander off the reservation and engage either in heresy(calling Paul Ryan's plan social engineering) or get wrapped up in his personal obsessions(Newt Gingrich: Moon Emperor). Cruz has got pretty much all of Gingrich's strengths among conservatives and fewer of his weaknesses, but even less crossover appeal.

I never believed for a second that Cruz was brilliant. Harvard grad or no, he says dumb poo poo to rile up dumb people. He's a reactionary rear end in a top hat and he's not going anywhere in the party.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

I never believed for a second that Cruz was brilliant. Harvard grad or no, he says dumb poo poo to rile up dumb people. He's a reactionary rear end in a top hat and he's not going anywhere in the party.
Arguing in front of SCOTUS and doing well is hardly small beer.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

The second part doesn't really seem to confirm the first part. There have been many insane reactionaries who are clearly quite brilliant (to use another example of someone with origins in the legal field, Rehnquist is generally regarded as being one of the smartest and most capable Supreme Court justices ever, but he was also a totally inflexible ideologue who almost always took as conservative a position as possible).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
He may be book-smart but he's sure as hell not politically smart. If he was, he'd realize that to rise in the party he's going to need friends, and urinating on his Senate colleagues every chance he gets is not a good way to make them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

He may be book-smart but he's sure as hell not politically smart. If he was, he'd realize that to rise in the party he's going to need friends, and urinating on his Senate colleagues every chance he gets is not a good way to make them.

He's politically smart enough to be the junior senator from Texas. I doubt he actually thinks he could win the presidency outside of an extreme conflux of highly unlikely events.

A presidential run is a fast way to raise your profile, raise money, and shill for your new book though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's actually pretty politically smart to get yourself a senate seat and stay there forever. Starting salary is $174,000 a year, you get a sweet Federal pension that no one's going to cut after you're in place for a term or two, you of course get all sorts of perks from lobbyists. And your re-election campaigns are probably going to be just easy coasts for the forseeable future - you're an incumbent after all!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Install Windows posted:

It's actually pretty politically smart to get yourself a senate seat and stay there forever. Starting salary is $174,000 a year, you get a sweet Federal pension that no one's going to cut after you're in place for a term or two, you of course get all sorts of perks from lobbyists. And your re-election campaigns are probably going to be just easy coasts for the forseeable future - you're an incumbent after all!

This is why a lot of the "ladder climber" Texas politicians weren't actually born or raised there. Bushes are from New England.

Cruz is Clearly Canadian, raised in Texas.

Rick Perry: fifth-generation Texan.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 21, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Right-wing political smarts are different from normal political smarts. There's no saving the party from destroying itself, so the smartest move is to defend the indefensible publicly and smugly. Cruz is the best at this right now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I agree with your underlying point, but Cruz is intelligent in cognitive terms. His head is full of bad knowledge and he comes to all kinds of stupid conclusions, but I can assure you that he is not technically a dumb man. That's sort of what makes him dangerous. With some teabagger like Bachmann or Gohmert or whatever you know you're dealing with a mouth-breathing idiot, but with guys like Paul or Cruz you're in a bit more danger because they're smart enough to carry out complex behaviors and to handle technical tasks like running an organization.

I've said it before, but people that've met Cruz and/or know him (he's lived in Houston for quite a while) all consider him to be a fairly intelligent sociopath. It's the behaviors that come along with that which have the left concerned. He knows how to manipulate people so that he can get where/what he wants. I'm not sure he's capable of reaching the presidency, but he sure as hell can cause a bunch of trouble where he's at and he's doing a great job of stealing all the TP spotlight from Paul and the rest of the nutjobs in Congress.

Huge Liability posted:

If Cruz had been born in the US, then I think this could have possibly worked, but he wouldn't have done it anyway.

edit

Joementum posted:

Scott Brown, Mr. Salt-Of-The-Earth himself, has never eaten a corndog?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 21, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

SedanChair posted:

I actually haven't, because I don't live in the US :v: I probably should have added an "I have no idea what Dean is up to these days" caveat to my post.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Leaving the Senate to run for President is the D.C. version of an actor leaving a smash hit TV show to try and make it in movies. For most, the smash hit TV show is the best gig they could ever get or aspire to, and the smart move would just be to stay there.

Everybody thinks they're going to be the next Barack Obama George Clooney but they usually just turn out to be another David Caruso,

The good thing about the Senate is that you can keep the gig while you try out the Presidential waters.

If your Presidential movie flops, you're right back in the cast of "Friends" like nothing ever happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just doubt that when push comes to shove, Cruz won't implode on the national stage like the rest of the far right nut jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Zwabu posted:

The good thing about the Senate is that you can keep the gig while you try out the Presidential waters.

If your Presidential movie flops, you're right back in the cast of "Friends" like nothing ever happened.

Holding onto that Senate seat can have its costs as well, particularly if you become the presumptive nominee and the other party can steer the agenda and force you to make all sorts of unpopular votes. Dole saw how screwed he was as soon as he secured the nomination and had to give up the third most powerful position in the U.S. Government, Kerry was too dumb to resign and the Senate Republicans played him masterfully.

• Locked thread