Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
[Deleted]

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
If your sister lives with your dad, why is he paying mom child support for her?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

paperchaseguy posted:

If your sister lives with your dad, why is he paying mom child support for her?

Who makes child support payments to whom and for how long is a court matter. Where his adult sister lives is not.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
[Deleted]

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 19, 2013

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
So he's paying child support to the mother, for an adult that the mother isn't supporting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have a coworker - we'll call her Karen - who moved in with her boyfriend last year around this time. But instead of moving out of her other place, she kept paying rent on it, because she was never fully confident in the relationship and wanted a place to "fall back to" in case things didn't work out between them.

This is SoCal, mind you. So over the course of a year she blew over $10k for a place she didn't live in. And when she and her boyfriend finally did break up, instead of moving back to her other place, she found a more expensive single bedroom... two blocks from said boyfriend.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

So he's paying child support to the mother, for an adult that the mother isn't supporting.

I've seen how hosed up child support can get. Don't overthink it, just do what the court says.

Basically my brother and his first wife broke up, he was paying child support on his kids. He was also paying all of her loving bills AND buying most of his daughter's clothing. When he tried to get that off of his child support amonunts, they told him no, those were "gifts" to the mother and he still had to pay his full child support.

For a more related story, my wife works with a couple that kind of resembles Zaurg. He's 25 ish and she's 19 and immature as gently caress. I can't stand her at all. They were talking about getting married for legal reasons (to fix their credit. Great idea, can't see that going wrong). They were just going to go to the Magistrate's office and do it there. Well, she decides she wants a reception. Invites some people, forgets the number. 50 people RSVP, she doesn't "remember" how many she invited. So now he has to host a reception. Then she decides to buy a dress. Now she wants a mock ceremony at the reception. My wife and I are making bets on when's she's going to pop a "surprise" pregnancy on him.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My dad paid child support to my mom until I was 25 because he missed a lot of payments when I was younger. He was still responsible for those back payments even after I was an adult because as far as the state was concerned he needed to pay the total amount that he should have by the time I was 18, which he hadn't yet.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I have a coworker - we'll call her Karen - who moved in with her boyfriend last year around this time. But instead of moving out of her other place, she kept paying rent on it, because she was never fully confident in the relationship and wanted a place to "fall back to" in case things didn't work out between them.

This is SoCal, mind you. So over the course of a year she blew over $10k for a place she didn't live in. And when she and her boyfriend finally did break up, instead of moving back to her other place, she found a more expensive single bedroom... two blocks from said boyfriend.

This is basically what my boyfriend did. He renewed his lease in November, with the new year set to start this August. Even though he hated the apartment and his roommates were gross people who managed to attract cockroaches within like a week of living there (this was a brand new building). And apparently he never read the fine print that said if he wanted to break said lease, he'd have to pay the entire year's rent up front, to be refunded when they found a new tenant (well, refunded for the months the new person took over, not any months or partial months it was uninhabited).

When the gross roommates got to be too much he came to live with me, but was still paying $640 a month for this room. My rent, by the way, is 475 for a whole 1 bedroom apartment. I didn't charge him anything, but it was still pretty crazy to be paying that much money for a room he couldn't stand and wasn't using AND be locked into paying rent for the next year, too.

Oh yeah, and the reason he signed on a new lease so early? They offered him a $300 gift card. :rolleyes:

Gothmog1065 posted:

For a more related story, my wife works with a couple that kind of resembles Zaurg. He's 25 ish and she's 19 and immature as gently caress.

Haha wow, that sounds like ten kinds of shitstorms waiting to happen. I'm not surprised a 19-year-old is behaving childishly, she is a literal child. Honestly it doesn't sound like she's immature at all, just a normal 19-year-old. If I'd been allowed to plan a wedding at that age I'm pretty sure swans and horse-drawn carriages would have been involved.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 19, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

I might have mentioned my friend earlier in this thread, he pre-ordered like 5 PS4's and 5 new Xboxes during the E3 hype with the intent to "flip" them when the time comes. Well he and his wife went through a rough patch and are now getting a divorce. I am not 100% sure of all the reasons why, but I know the fact that he doesn't technically have a job and he spends money like it grows on trees is a major reason. She told him she wanted a divorce about a week ago and he moved out of the house he was living in with her and he moved back in with his parents. I got a picture message last night of the new couch, chair, and loveseat thing he bought at IKEA for his new place. Mind you he doesn't have a new place yet so I guess he bought it to just have at his parent's house :psyduck:.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

coreycoryecorey posted:

I might have mentioned my friend earlier in this thread, he pre-ordered like 5 PS4's and 5 new Xboxes during the E3 hype with the intent to "flip" them when the time comes. Well he and his wife went through a rough patch and are now getting a divorce. I am not 100% sure of all the reasons why, but I know the fact that he doesn't technically have a job and he spends money like it grows on trees is a major reason. She told him she wanted a divorce about a week ago and he moved out of the house he was living in with her and he moved back in with his parents. I got a picture message last night of the new couch, chair, and loveseat thing he bought at IKEA for his new place. Mind you he doesn't have a new place yet so I guess he bought it to just have at his parent's house :psyduck:.

Isn't his wife on the hook for 50% of his debt once they get divorce? Sounds like a 50% off fire sale to me. May as well get while the getting is good. :suicide:

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
[Deleted]

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 19, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My maternal grandfather passed away when I was 3 in 1989, but I've been told this story by my mom and uncle. I guess my grandmother thought he had lots of money stored away. He owned his own business after all.

Well, after he died, my mom, uncle, and grandmother were at the bank and given access to his safe deposit box. My mom said they were in a private room and left alone to access it.

My grandma opened the box. Inside was a whopping $2.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That's hilarious. Sounds like he was great with money, he spent almost exactly the right amount during his lifetime :)

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
My sister and her boyfriend are both terrible with money.

She is the more typical-American live-with-debt type: 100k in student loans, a revolving credit card balance (that she has withdrawn money from her 401k to pay off at least twice), a mortgage where she only put 10% down so is paying PMI monthly, and a car loan.

He is a 30-something single father who was living with his mother when I met him. He now has a three-bedroom apartment that he is renting with a friend. The third bedroom isn't for his kid, mind you. It's their "living room" so that the actual living room can hold a pool table. When he moved in and bought said pool table, he was defaulting on his car loan (for a brand-new GMC truck--talk about a depreciating asset!). He can't have a credit card because he has so much debt he's defaulted on. He also cashed out his 401k (all 9k of it) and spent it on NOTHING. Did he pay down his car loan? Not a dime! Did he use it for the deposit on his new apartment? Nope, that was borrowed from his father. He spent all of it on booze and Warhammer figurines.

His truck was eventually repossessed. Was this a wake-up call? Did he scrimp and save to buy a beater with which to get to work? Nope, my sister took out a second car loan to get him a $16k truck. She's also paid the first three months of the loan, and gave him $1000 for rent. I recently went out to lunch with her and both her credit and debit cards were declined, so it isn't exactly like she can afford it. And we're going house-boating next week and my sister just called to tell me she's spending $1000 to rent a skidoo for the trip!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

soap. posted:

My sister and her boyfriend are both terrible with money.

She is the more typical-American live-with-debt type: 100k in student loans, a revolving credit card balance (that she has withdrawn money from her 401k to pay off at least twice), a mortgage where she only put 10% down so is paying PMI monthly, and a car loan.

He is a 30-something single father who was living with his mother when I met him. He now has a three-bedroom apartment that he is renting with a friend. The third bedroom isn't for his kid, mind you. It's their "living room" so that the actual living room can hold a pool table. When he moved in and bought said pool table, he was defaulting on his car loan (for a brand-new GMC truck--talk about a depreciating asset!). He can't have a credit card because he has so much debt he's defaulted on. He also cashed out his 401k (all 9k of it) and spent it on NOTHING. Did he pay down his car loan? Not a dime! Did he use it for the deposit on his new apartment? Nope, that was borrowed from his father. He spent all of it on booze and Warhammer figurines.

His truck was eventually repossessed. Was this a wake-up call? Did he scrimp and save to buy a beater with which to get to work? Nope, my sister took out a second car loan to get him a $16k truck. She's also paid the first three months of the loan, and gave him $1000 for rent. I recently went out to lunch with her and both her credit and debit cards were declined, so it isn't exactly like she can afford it. And we're going house-boating next week and my sister just called to tell me she's spending $1000 to rent a skidoo for the trip!
I'm curious, how do they rationalize what they are doing? Does your sister know how bad she is with money? Does she know that she's going to default on the second car loan because her boyfriend will never pay it?

Does she care?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
She probably has a decent job so the payments don't seem like much to her.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Or she knows that way cool "secret" of filing for bankruptcy to make everything OK again. It's like the reset button on a video game!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I just saw someone post this on another forum:

quote:

So I finally found a car and a bank that was willing to work with me! I bought a 2011 Kia Forte and I love it!

My monthly payments are $272.38 which is in my price range, thank goodness. But the interest rate is 15.79% :(

I know, it's a terrible interest rate. But I had gone to several dealerships and they were all giving me around 15% but with a monthly payment of $300 or more.

They said that I would not really be able to get a better interest rate than that right now, due to my credit score being in the low 600s and my salary being 22k.

So my plan is to make the payments at this interest rate for a year then refinance. Hopefully in a year, I can get a much lower interest rate! :)

But I am happy. I no longer have to drive my parents' crappy car! Yay!

All of the replies are along the lines of "Yay! How exciting!" With only two minor "Eep, that's a really high interest rate!" mentions, and zero mention of someone who makes 22k probably shouldn't be buying a new car when she had access to a free "crappy" one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

drat Bananas posted:

I just saw someone post this on another forum:

All of the replies are along the lines of "Yay! How exciting!" With only two minor "Eep, that's a really high interest rate!" mentions, and zero mention of someone who makes 22k probably shouldn't be buying a new car when she had access to a free "crappy" one.

They also don't mention how long they'll be paying for the car.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm curious, how do they rationalize what they are doing? Does your sister know how bad she is with money? Does she know that she's going to default on the second car loan because her boyfriend will never pay it?

Does she care?

She thinks he'll feel guilty not paying her, so he'll have to get his act together. Since I couldn't convince her to not take out the loan, I've been trying to get her to at least sit down with him and work out a budget. She refuses because she "doesn't want to pressure him."

She can't afford both car payments (both are 7-year, of course), unless she does something about her ridiculous food/going out/gift expenditures. She just ends up charging things rather than accepting that she can't afford them. She also eats out a ton and grocery shops at whole foods. She has literally no savings besides her tiny, dwindling 401k from her old job.
At least I got her to sign up for mint, and she likes the idea of a $1000 emergency fund, but not until.she saves enough to put a deposit down on a place for her and her boyfriend to rent together...

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Much of my parent's financial woes are a mix of bad decisions, sucking at handling finances and bad luck. I do not have specifics as I attempted to block those details out and besides I don't know the numbers exactly.

Mom: doesn't work, housemaker
Dad: works 60-80 hours a week driving a bus. He makes about 60-75k a year only because he takes on so much overtime. My dad is a pansy and my mom has always have more of an influence over the finances, even if it isn't her own money (red flag).

-My parent's credit is terrible and has been for years. They have been paying hundreds of dollars extra as interest for credit cards they haven't been able to pay off. They didn't go to college and their credit card debt is more than 50k.

-My parents did have a divorce where my mom took the reins of the finances. She managed to withdraw 50,000 out of my dad's retirement account and take it for her own. She told me it was "collateral for a business loan. Loan for her new boyfriend's business. I don't know if she actually did this or not. Instead of keeping it in retirement as it was intended, or at least using that money to pay off debt or to save it for my 2 younger brothers for college, she got her teeth done and a boob job instead. I imagine she pocketed the rest or gave it to her new boyfriend.

-My family told me dad to sell the house and cut losses. Because my mom also had a stake in the house she refused to sell it under 245k. This house is in shambles, the worst one on the block and needs a lot of work so there would be no way she could sell it for as much as she wanted it for. She knew that, but she figured she could get back at my dad by not being reasonable. My dad's suggestions were ignored and he couldn't sell it. Now the house has a lean so he is stuck.

My parents would always talk about finances in front of me throughout my childhood and it took me a couple of years into my late-teens early twenties to not be as financially paranoid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I used to work with a lady who's husband had worked 35 years for a major phone company. She's about 20 years younger than him (mid 40's) and he turned 65 and was ready to retire.

They decided it would be best to take his pension as a lump sum payment instead of getting normal monthly checks. I told them it was a terrible loving idea, but if they were going to do it my advice was to talk to a fee based investment advisor, maybe pay off their mortgage, then split things up between an annuity and stocks/bonds. Try to make the money work for them. The money he earned working 35 years for the phone company. It would have been even smarter for him to take his pension with survivor benefits as she is only in her mid 40's and could draw a check for another 40 to 50 years. I could be off on the numbers, but if the pension just covered him it would have paid about 2K a month, if they did survivor benefits it would have been like 1300/mo.

They took the lump sum and they blew it. All. Somewhere in the 400K range or something absurd. They bought 2 vehicles, took a bunch of trips, spent money like they hit the lottery. They didn't even pay off their mortgage with the money. The real kick in the pants is they didn't recognize the tax implications of getting a lump sum like that and now they owe the IRS tens of thousands of dollars or something. He's in not so good health doing contract work again for the phone company, while she's attending community college. They're back to square one and he spent 35 years of his life earning that pension for almost nothing.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I used to work with a lady who's husband had worked 35 years for a major phone company. She's about 20 years younger than him (mid 40's) and he turned 65 and was ready to retire.

They decided it would be best to take his pension as a lump sum payment instead of getting normal monthly checks. I told them it was a terrible loving idea, but if they were going to do it my advice was to talk to a fee based investment advisor, maybe pay off their mortgage, then split things up between an annuity and stocks/bonds. Try to make the money work for them. The money he earned working 35 years for the phone company. It would have been even smarter for him to take his pension with survivor benefits as she is only in her mid 40's and could draw a check for another 40 to 50 years. I could be off on the numbers, but if the pension just covered him it would have paid about 2K a month, if they did survivor benefits it would have been like 1300/mo.

They took the lump sum and they blew it. All. Somewhere in the 400K range or something absurd. They bought 2 vehicles, took a bunch of trips, spent money like they hit the lottery. They didn't even pay off their mortgage with the money. The real kick in the pants is they didn't recognize the tax implications of getting a lump sum like that and now they owe the IRS tens of thousands of dollars or something. He's in not so good health doing contract work again for the phone company, while she's attending community college. They're back to square one and he spent 35 years of his life earning that pension for almost nothing.
Wow, that's terrible. :smith:

How do you even get to 65 and not have any sense about money? Why would you do anything with that amount of money without double checking everything through a lawyer? I just don't understand the mindset that could lead you to that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I see it all the time. Folks live their entire lives from paycheck to paycheck and then some money drops in their lap and they lose their loving minds. OK, maybe they don't lose their minds, but all common sense goes out the window. Give a 16 year old 1,000 bucks and watch what happens. Same thing basically. What's really horrifying to me is they didn't blow it on major stuff. He didn't go buy a Corvette or anything, they just pissed it away a little at a time. They bought 2 lightly used vehicles, nothing fancy, a small hybrid SUV and a base model Pontiac Solstice. They took some trips to Vegas, a Cruise or two, bought their kids a decent used car in the 5K range and helped them out with some bills. Just slowly pissed it all away. Nothing to show for it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well now I just feel awful. At least young people who screw up majorly have some chance of fixing it. That dude's gonna work until he drops dead. :smith:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

skipdogg posted:

I see it all the time. Folks live their entire lives from paycheck to paycheck and then some money drops in their lap and they lose their loving minds. OK, maybe they don't lose their minds, but all common sense goes out the window. Give a 16 year old 1,000 bucks and watch what happens. Same thing basically. What's really horrifying to me is they didn't blow it on major stuff. He didn't go buy a Corvette or anything, they just pissed it away a little at a time. They bought 2 lightly used vehicles, nothing fancy, a small hybrid SUV and a base model Pontiac Solstice. They took some trips to Vegas, a Cruise or two, bought their kids a decent used car in the 5K range and helped them out with some bills. Just slowly pissed it all away. Nothing to show for it.

Whenever I hear "trip to Vegas" it sets off a red flag for me. I've been to Vegas. Yeah, there's lots of cool stuff besides gambling, but it's all very expensive and there is almost always something cheaper closer to where people live. Most major American cities have entertainers coming through on a regular basis. If you're going to Vegas for the gambling, then you should probably be in fantastic financial shape.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

skipdogg posted:

That makes me feel physically ill.

Kate Hate
Aug 26, 2006

relaxing after a hard day's rape
My mom is a huge fan of Rent-A-Center/Colortyme/Aaron's/all stupid rent to own bullshit stores. I try to tell her that she could just save the drat monthly payments she would make on a couch or whatever and go out and buy one, but she still keeps going back. I've never been to one of those stores before and I don't see the appeal. I guess I don't have that "but I want it NOWWWW" trait that their customers have.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Kate Hate posted:

My mom is a huge fan of Rent-A-Center/Colortyme/Aaron's/all stupid rent to own bullshit stores. I try to tell her that she could just save the drat monthly payments she would make on a couch or whatever and go out and buy one, but she still keeps going back. I've never been to one of those stores before and I don't see the appeal. I guess I don't have that "but I want it NOWWWW" trait that their customers have.

Instant gratification, no credit check, pay at the store deal (Some people refuse to pay online in any form). They don't realize that they're paying huge interest rates (Badcock had something like 30% when we bought a couch from them). The whole "rent to own" deal appeals to a lot of people though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Gothmog1065 posted:

Some people refuse to pay online in any form.

I had a coworker like this. I don't think she had a bank account and would cash her checks by taking them to WalMart and getting them put on a prepaid Visa card (I can only imagine the bullshit fees involved in this). She would drive to the cell phone store to pay her bill in cash and use money orders for all her utilities. She would also do stuff like put her mother's cable TV under her name because her mother didn't have enough money for the first month. Why didn't you just loan her some drat money???

One of my tasks at that job was "guardian of the petty cash" and maybe every 6-8 weeks she would get a loan of like $30 "for gas money" (the boss had ok'ed this). Once payday rolled around, she'd promptly pay it back, but really?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I don't get what people are so afraid of. I've had my credit card # stolen probably three or four times, and it's never been more than a minor inconvenience. You aren't liable for the fraudulent transactions...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zhentar posted:

I don't get what people are so afraid of. I've had my credit card # stolen probably three or four times, and it's never been more than a minor inconvenience. You aren't liable for the fraudulent transactions...

I had a co-worker who argued that you should have multiple cards with a smaller limits, so that if one got stolen you wouldn't be liable for the whole amount. Apparently he had one stolen had some point and was on the hook for 10k? :confused:

This was also the guy that argued you shouldn't use RSRPs, that you were much better off playing the slots since the slots had a better rate of return, somehow. He did seem to consistently win at the casino... But then he was always at the fricking casino, so he must also have lost a shitload of money. His budget for when he was on vacation was $300 a day or something. (In his defense, we had no expenses when we were working, except for fixed stuff like rent and phone. On the other hand, we had roughly 150 (unpaid) days off a year. Gotta love the merchant marine.)

He was also one of those guys that'd avoid working overtime because too much OT would make your net income go down because of taxes.

One of the best seamen I've ever sailed with, but drat did we not get along well at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Some people don't trust themselves, or want credit. My sister didn't have any kind of banking relationship for about 10 years. She does now, but from 18 to 28, she was cash only.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

particle409 posted:

Whenever I hear "trip to Vegas" it sets off a red flag for me. I've been to Vegas. Yeah, there's lots of cool stuff besides gambling, but it's all very expensive and there is almost always something cheaper closer to where people live. Most major American cities have entertainers coming through on a regular basis. If you're going to Vegas for the gambling, then you should probably be in fantastic financial shape.

Yeah, I didn't know this person on Facebook but I used to see him bitch about his student loans and how expensive his kids are to a friend of mine every now and then. Then one day I see "gently caress yeah I got my huge rear end tax return I'm going to Vegas baby!".

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kate Hate posted:

I went to one after I moved to a new town and had squat for furniture, thinking I'd look into a sofa and other random furniture. Everything in there was priced at least 2x what normal retail is, and doing the math on the payments it got obscenely expensive quickly. For an okish sofa, you were looking at 20 bucks a week for a year. I listened to the salesman talk to a customer and they were going to be paying 80 bucks a week for their furniture.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a coworker like this. I don't think she had a bank account and would cash her checks by taking them to WalMart and getting them put on a prepaid Visa card (I can only imagine the bullshit fees involved in this). She would drive to the cell phone store to pay her bill in cash and use money orders for all her utilities. She would also do stuff like put her mother's cable TV under her name because her mother didn't have enough money for the first month. Why didn't you just loan her some drat money???

One of my tasks at that job was "guardian of the petty cash" and maybe every 6-8 weeks she would get a loan of like $30 "for gas money" (the boss had ok'ed this). Once payday rolled around, she'd promptly pay it back, but really?

She's probably coming out ahead being unbanked if the alternative is paying overdraft fees.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
So my bad-with-money friend is interviewing in San Francisco this week for a job. On the bright side I'm guessing it would be a decent raise, he's in IT so I'm guessing he would be making 90k+?

He called me last night to ask if I could watch his dog for the weekend. I'm traveling so that's a no go for me, and he's all in a panic because he can't find anyone to watch her. I ask him why he just doesn't kennel her for 2 days or whatever and he said he couldn't afford it.

The guy who
- Bought a home two years ago
- Has since torn parts of it apart 6+ months ago with no effort to put things back to normal
- Bought a $5400 heat pump / central air unit to install himself in his house with no existing ductwork.
- Doesn't clean ever
- Still has stuff sitting in the same place as when he moved them in (including 2 couches that have been on his one deck for over a year)
- Is considering moving across the country for a job with not a care of what happens to his house.

Cannot find $80(? I don't know how much this costs) to board his dog in a kennel for 2 days?

I hope he gets the job and makes bank because he will likely pay me to go over to his house and clean it for him.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012
I have a friend who is the sweetest guy, but lacks some common sense. A few years ago, he posted an update that he'd finally managed to retrieve his stuff from a self-storage unit and it had "been awhile".

Well, I happen to know how long it was. He was our roommate for awhile after a bad breakup, which is when he first got the self-store.

In 1990.

By my most conservative estimates, he must have poured at least $40K into a drat self-store unit for twenty odd years.

Like I said, sweet guy, but it's a good thing he married a sensible woman. My guess is she's the one who made him empty the self-store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CitizenKain posted:

I went to one after I moved to a new town and had squat for furniture, thinking I'd look into a sofa and other random furniture. Everything in there was priced at least 2x what normal retail is, and doing the math on the payments it got obscenely expensive quickly. For an okish sofa, you were looking at 20 bucks a week for a year. I listened to the salesman talk to a customer and they were going to be paying 80 bucks a week for their furniture.

I had a client who went to a local furniture store and instead of paying upfront (which he could have afforded easily) they conned him in to signing up for a store credit card and putting it all on that for *reasons*.

He was having trouble paying off this card so I looked at his statement: He was paying 32% annualized on the card because he missed a payment. Ho-ly poo poo. :stonk:

• Locked thread