Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Iced Cocoa posted:

Wasn't there a contest to make up your own event?

"X, your trickster comes back from a visit of clan _, with [50..100] cattle and proclaims his/her success in trading while the issarites of your clan distinctly remember he left your tula empty-handed. You're sure there is going to be some reaction from clan _, and it might be prudent to patch things up before things get out of hand."

1. Keep the cattle Farmers happier, clan mood happier. A year later clan _ declares feud or mood towards you sours a lot.
2. Return all the cattle Carls unhappy. clan _ mood gets better towards you.
3. Return some of cattle (specify how much) Clan _ mood happier/sours towards you, depending on the number of cattle returned
4. Brag about your trickster swindling clan _ Clan _ mood sours a lot, might declare feud year later. High bargaining for small reputation gain, massive drop on failure.
5. Gift clan _ Weaponthanes unhappy. Clan _ mood happier/sours towards you, depending on the number of cattle returned

Magic: X used Erumali magic to get those cows, it will not last. (advice 2,3,5)
Custom: We can keep the cows, but _ might not see it that way (advice 1,5)
Combat: X got the cattle fair and square (advice 1,3)
Leadership: _ will get unhappy if we keep the cattle (advice 3,5)
Animals: These are not healthy cattle (advice 2,3)
Plants: We're going to face retribution for this (advice none)
Bargaining: X is in the right (advice 1,4)
Trickster: Look at what I brought home! (advice 4)

Nah, it should go more like

Jim, your Trickster, returns from a visit to Clan Gullible with a herd of 100 cattle, claiming that he traded for them. A few days later, a merchant of Clan Gullible comes to your tula accompanied by 3 weaponthanes. He claims that Jim used Trickster magic on him in order to get him to trade the cattle for a few useless trinkets, and demands you return all of the cattle to him immediately.

1. Keep the cattle (makes Clan Gullible angry, if they're stronger than you they will launch a raid to retake them in the next raiding-friendly season)

2. Keep the cattle, call Clan Gullible fools for trading them for nothing(Makes Clan Gullible furious, they'll start a feud unless they already really like you and will launch a raid immediately to retake them no matter what season it is)

3. Return the cattle (Carls grumble a little, no change in relationship to Clan Gullible)

4. Return the cattle, plus an additional gift (the carls get angry if you give away extra cattle, Clan Gullible likes you more.

5. Claim that the Trickster never brought the cows back and you don't know what he did with them(small chance of letting you keep the cows with no relationship problems but a high chance of starting a feud with Clan Gullible if they don't believe you)

6. Conduct a Divination(can either show that the Trickster used magic to confuse the merchant or that he simply acted like the useless trinkets were magic and the merchant bought them because he's an idiot)

7. (available if the divination shows the merchant is an idiot) Accuse the merchant of lying to cover his own idiocy (50/50 chance of Clan Gullible believing you and blaming the merchant, letting you keep the cows without hurting your relationship or not believing you giving you a small relationship drop and the ability to choose another option)

8. (available if the divination shows the Trickster used magic) Return the cows and have Jim severely punished. (Clan Gullible likes you more, Trickster is injured)

Magic: Tells you whether the Trickster used magic or not (suggests divination)

Custom: Tells you that the law is on your side so long as the Trickster didn't use any magic (suggests keeping them and divination)

Combat: Tells you whether you can take the other clan or not (Suggests keeping them if you can, giving them back if you can't)

Leadership: Tells you whether getting the other clan mad could cause a feud (suggests keeping them if it won't, giving them back if it will, and calling them idiots if you're already feuding)

Animals: Complains about how you definitely need more cows (suggests keeping them)

Plants: smokes weed in their stead because they don't have much input here (suggests nothing)

Bargaining: Advises you to keep them because they were bought in a fair trade and it's not your fault the other guy is thick as a brick (suggests keeping them)

Trickster: is super proud of himself, claims he's done nothing wrong (suggests keeping them and insulting them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It'd be more interesting to have a Trickster event involving the Trickster being an rear end with one of the clan treasures. Especially if it keys off heroquest reward treasures(since those appear fairly often)

What would Trickster do with the Sword Death?
EDIT: Alternatively, if you force a clan into desperate straits, they unleash Killer Boy on you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Iced Cocoa posted:

Wasn't there a contest to make up your own event?

http://pockettactics.com/2013/08/20/eurmal-approves-write-a-scene-for-king-of-dragon-pass/

I assume everyone is on this, right?

It's actually kind of hard, because my favourite events were always less about the "loser from clan douchebag wants magic/food/warriors" and more about the crazy eldritch stuff from all over Dragon Pass, like the Black Horse Troop or the chaos snail or the elves or whatever.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

http://pockettactics.com/2013/08/20/eurmal-approves-write-a-scene-for-king-of-dragon-pass/

I assume everyone is on this, right?

It's actually kind of hard, because my favourite events were always less about the "loser from clan douchebag wants magic/food/warriors" and more about the crazy eldritch stuff from all over Dragon Pass, like the Black Horse Troop or the chaos snail or the elves or whatever.

Nothing to prevent you submitting something based on one of those, of course. :)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Except my lack of imagination! :smith:

edit - actually are there any events about a thrall insurrection? That seems inevitable if you have too many.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

Except my lack of imagination! :smith:

edit - actually are there any events about a thrall insurrection? That seems inevitable if you have too many.

Yeah, actually. It pans out just about as badly for them as you'd expect, as far as I've seen.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yes, there are, but it has more to do with how badly you treat them than how many there are.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

This endgame is taking way too long to start why haven't the Horse-Spawn gotten their new queen yet

Yes, my clan chief and tribal chief are different dudes. Careful breeding for the real one since the tribal chief is old as balls.

Edit: FINALLY got it it's been like 10 years in-game since Jaldon got hosed and Valensta here has done every single heroquest except Elmal Guards the Stead by herself, even if I hadn't already done all of them before.
Edit 2: Game finished, got the Dragonnewt Armor on Valensta (renamed Jenesta) just as a final crown piece of the single most ridiculous Noble to ever grace Dragon Pass and then deliberately bled everything to the point I was starving my clan with feasts and my ridiculous 110 weaponthanes.

mdct fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 21, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is there a thread about the PnP game here? I'm reading Storm Tribe and Thunder Rebels at the moment, and have some more of the books lined up after that.

I was just reading a story about Elmal who meets another god hiding in a turnip, which is pretty silly. But of course, real mythology is packed with things like that, yet I don't think I've ever seen another fantasy setting think to do that sort of thing. Glorantha really is something special.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
We need a thread devoted just to Gloranthan lore. It's so interesting.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I was honestly surprised there isn't a general Glorantha/RuneQuest/HeroQuest thread anywhere. It seems like a very serious omission, and while I love the Loreposts in here and during the different LP's I think it would be much more useful to have them all in one thread, where people can ask questions about lore and setting without having to derail the thread with it every single time....kind of like how we're doing right now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You could theoretically start a Glorantha thread in the Traditional Games forum, but realistically I doubt you're going to get any different of a crowd than you're going to get right here.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
I have SO many ideas for that contest. Mostly trickster-themed.

Your trickster and another clan's trickster conspire to convince your two clans each that the other is surrendering to them in a long-running feud. Why, you ask? What purpose would this serve? Heck if they know. They're tricksters. They don't think about "consequences" like that.

Another clan asks whether they can borrow your trickster for a year so they can have trickster magic. If you say yes, there is a followup a year later which is always funny but rarely much good for anyone. If you say no there's a pretty good chance he goes to them anyway, claiming you changed your minds, and hijinks ensue.

Wandering trader tries to sell you a trickster as a thrall. Rather. Wandering trader offers to pay you 5 cattle to please TAKE this trickster, only you have to promise to keep him on your clan ring for at least a year. (If you fail, you get cursed.)

Trickster is brought before the rest of the ring accused of adultery. You remember the couple who are fighting, and the trickster's advice is "I will sleep with both of them, and then they will know the meaning of a bad spouse." Well, they kept fighting, so he did it. His defense is that it's not adultery if you do it with both of them, and anyway, they're not fighting now. Various outcomes possible.

Your trickster commissions a large number of pictures of alynxes doing things with humorous captions, which he posts on the fourth wall of his hut. The wall is destroyed by earthshakers. No one ever drowns again because there is no more immersion.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Coolguye posted:

You could theoretically start a Glorantha thread in the Traditional Games forum, but realistically I doubt you're going to get any different of a crowd than you're going to get right here.

Well, is the setting discussion annoying anyone? If so, I'll try to craft an OP for a Glorantha/Runequest/Hero Wars/Heroquest thread over the weekend (don't know how good it will be, but I'll try my best). Otherwise I'll just continue here, though I'd like to hear more about outside the scope of the game.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Less annoying and more re-treading old stuff I think. Without a dedicated thread the same old stuff keeps coming up to be met with the same old answers, and then are lost to the thread.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's probably a pretty good time to make a general Glorantha thread. Moon Design recently got full IP rights to Glorantha (Greg Stafford is now contractually forbidden to Greg things!) and they're working pretty hard to make Heroquest/Runequest/Glorantha more popular.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Hold on...the original creator of the setting is not allowed to have input on it? That...sounds pretty lame?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
As I recall he has some issues with creative control, in that stuff constantly gets added or dropped as the situation changes. Not very good if you're trying to spread the setting, some degree of consistency is useful there.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Greg is still heavily involved, he just isn't allowed to make unilateral pronouncements anymore. Not that he had really wanted to in the past, but various gently caress-ups kind of forced his hand. Everyone's happy with the new arrangement, from what I've heard.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So it's basically just "no retcons allowed" then?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
More like, no unilateral retcons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Project1 posted:

Well, is the setting discussion annoying anyone?

I love having this thread as a one-stop, so as far as I'm concerned the answer is 'hell no'.

Also yeah, I don't often say this but Greg not being in total control is probably for the best. The state of Glorantha is such a clusterfuck in no small part due to Greg changing his mind based on what he had for breakfast that morning.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
There's just something about this game and setting. I was just visited by travelers from Ralios, who gave me ice from Kero FIn, which never melted. It's just so casually mythic, I love it.

As for this thread vs a generic Gloranthan one, I love the one-stop shop provided here, despite the occasional tangents. What's more of a question is how to bring more people into the fold who might be interested in the setting but don't know to look in this thread for info?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This thread isn't busy/crowded enough for general lore to be a problem. I don't see how there would be any downsides at all to this being a one-stop-shop just due to traffic levels.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I agree, leave all discussion here for now. Maybe an updated threadtitle would be a good idea though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Haystack posted:

It's probably a pretty good time to make a general Glorantha thread. Moon Design recently got full IP rights to Glorantha (Greg Stafford is now contractually forbidden to Greg things!) and they're working pretty hard to make Heroquest/Runequest/Glorantha more popular.

Is it possible that Greg saw this coming and the Lunar Empire steadily taking over Glorantha is all just an elaborate metaphor?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
How do you get the borders of tulas to show up on the map screen? I've seen LPs show the map full of black boundaries but I can only toggle the names on and off.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Press 'm' on the map screen. Make sure you don't hit the "Explore' button first.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I'm finally playing the iOS version, and the easiest setting is a bit harder than the easiest setting on PC. I'm doing fine for feeding and protecting my clan, but I'm not used to them being so touchy. Any tips for happiness in the early game?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The PC version is $3 on GOG this weekend, for anyone who's interested.

Project1 posted:

I'm finally playing the iOS version, and the easiest setting is a bit harder than the easiest setting on PC. I'm doing fine for feeding and protecting my clan, but I'm not used to them being so touchy. Any tips for happiness in the early game?
Farmer and weaponthane happiness both influence overall clan mood - if one or both are falling, expect clan mood to be dragged down with them. Weaponthanes are much easier to keep happy than farmers(weaponthane morale goes up with successful raids, and raiding is more likely to be successful as they get happier, so there's a positive feedback loop happening), so if an event comes along where you're basically choosing between the two, you'll want to lean towards keeping the farmers happy.

Lhankor Mhy's Lawspeaker blessing helps keep clan mood up. Chalana Arroy's Hope can't be maintained with a shrine, but you can use it to boost the mood of the unhappiest group in the clan(farmer, weaponthane, or the general clan mood) in a pinch.

Be aware that event choices which seem best from a powergaming perspective may not be the best from your clan's perspective. This especially applies to events involving other clans, since your clan tends to grumble if you're too generous with them or seem to favor them over your own people. (Even though you know you need other clans to like you for the mid- and endgames to start)

Finally, if you're getting a bunch of bad events(zombies, chaos, etc.), your clan mood is going to tank no matter what you do. You'll just need time for it to go back up again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

The PC version is $3 on GOG this weekend, for anyone who's interested.

Are they ever going to update the PC version with the new events, or release a version containing all of the updated stuff from the iOS version? I get jealous whenever I see the new stuff.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are they ever going to update the PC version with the new events, or release a version containing all of the updated stuff from the iOS version? I get jealous whenever I see the new stuff.

Unlikely. They apparently don't have the dev tools anymore.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He'd basically have to write the game from scratch, and doesn't consider it worth the effort. I think even the extremely unlikely Android version is more likely than an updated PC version.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I finally decided to get in on this game. It owns.

I have a couple questions (and no search function):

1. My market in year 10 produces a profit of 180 cow-goods annually. How many total cows is considered "wealthy?"
2. Other clans can send ghosts to troll me, or can kill my horses and stuff their copses with poop. Is there an option for me to do this?
3. I really like lying to people and being a stinking rat gently caress. Is there a way to make my deception pess detectable/more effective?
4. loving hero quests, how the gently caress? Last time I tried one I got my best Uralda worshipper eaten by wolves, and my earthshaker plow team spontaneously combusted.

edit: Just completed the Issaries HQ, owns

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 24, 2013

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

1. 180 goods a year is pretty good. A twinked out clan towards the end game can produce 400+
  2. If you have good relationships with shamans they'll occationally come by and offer to gently caress over a clan of your choice – for a price. You can also occasionally meet people while exploring who'll offer to gently caress someone up (which may or may not be a good idea). Finally, you can have Maran Gor Blast Earth at clans you don't like. Or I suppose you could raid them into oblivion.
  3. Persuasion, probably, and maybe a trickster noble. Keep in mind that these are tiny communities and that it's awfully hard to keep something like being a slimy dogfucker from affecting your reputation. Also keep in mind that a high reputation is what triggers the plot.
  4. Uralda's heroquest is easily the most difficult in the game. It has lots of hard, dangerous checks in areas where Uralda nobles have weak stats. Yes, the heroquest where you are a cow is harder than the one where you rip a dragon in half, or the one where you get murdered repeatedly. Welcome to Glorantha.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
1) Wealth is measured more by your actual cattle than your goods - goods are just easier to make so they work better for trading (like for more cattle), or for gifts/sacrifice. As a general rule, more cows than people is a wealthy clan, less cows than people is not.

2) I don't think you can do the horse killing thing, but there's an event that comes up every now and then where some shamans come by your Tula and offer to curse another clan for you. You can also sacrifice to Eurmal to curse other clans if you have a trickster on your ring, but the shamans are a lot more reliable.

3) It's pretty hard to get away with lying in the game too often just because enemy clans can perform divinations just like you can, and the chance of success only depends on how much magic they have, so there isn't much you can do to influence it. The actual skill check for successfully deceiving people assuming they don't try divination is a combination of bargaining and leadership, so you'll need a noble on your ring that's good at both of those.

4) Uralda's heroquest is a meatgrinder. The main problem is that the section that always kills people (the wolves) depends on combat skill, which Uraldans tend to be really bad at. But if you get clever and send in a Vingan or Humakti or something, surprise! You get killed by the bulls later, because that section requires animals skill. Your best bet is to either just ignore that quest, or keep an eye out for female Odayla worshippers, since Odaylans tend to be good at both combat and animals. You can also short-circuit the quest with a noble that's really good at bargaining and skip the wolves entirely, but it's a tougher check than doing it properly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

4) Uralda's heroquest is a meatgrinder. The main problem is that the section that always kills people (the wolves) depends on combat skill, which Uraldans tend to be really bad at. But if you get clever and send in a Vingan or Humakti or something, surprise! You get killed by the bulls later, because that section requires animals skill. Your best bet is to either just ignore that quest, or keep an eye out for female Odayla worshippers, since Odaylans tend to be good at both combat and animals. You can also short-circuit the quest with a noble that's really good at bargaining and skip the wolves entirely, but it's a tougher check than doing it properly.

sounds like a female Issaries might be another option if they have decent animals

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want to completely ruin a clan, just blast earth them once a year. They're be really poor very soon, and the poor can't afford many weaponthanes. You can also sacrifice to Eurmal to cause trouble, although he's not exactly reliable. Sometimes, he'll do something that makes you feel sorry for your enemies, sometimes he just has fun with a sheep.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Do questors have issues if they're not the same gender as their God or something? Because that seems like it could be an issue with Chalana Arroy worshipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Sharmat posted:

Do questors have issues if they're not the same gender as their God or something? Because that seems like it could be an issue with Chalana Arroy worshipers.

none that I've seen, I had equal luck running Chalana Arroy Heals the Scars with male and female followers, same with Vingans for Orlanth and Aroka if you remember to attack the dark woman and seduce the male warriors

• Locked thread