Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Can someone recommend writing advice for PbP?
I'm fairly inexperienced with writing fiction, so my posts might not be very good, which is bad because I'm the GM :).
I'll probably improve with time but are there some rules I could follow to at least not scare away my players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side

scissorman posted:

I'm fairly inexperienced with writing fiction, so my posts might not be very good, which is bad because I'm the GM :).
I'll probably improve with time but are there some rules I could follow to at least not scare away my players?

Characters, characters, characters! Try to create personality in your NPCs without going too over the top. Get players to interact, throw them together so their dialogue can take off.

Occasionally throw in descriptions of the environment, but leave some things up to the players too. Ask them questions about their surroundings!

Try to incorporate each player's unique perspectives in your prompts to them. Got a depressive-type player? Evoke gloom and doom. Got a feisty one? Push their buttons a bit. :cheeky:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

bottles and cans posted:

I'm a new GM after my group's GM stepped down. I'm continuing his campaign, and running my second session next week. I have at least one player who's very uninterested in combat, and I'm looking for a way to make the upcoming session interesting.

They'll be making their way upward through a series of deep mines adjacent to a city. I'd like to handle it as sort of a maze, but I don't know how to do that in a way that will be interesting and not completely reliant on combat.

The system is Pathfinder, by the way,

So, this probably sounds obvious, but you either need NPCs to interact with along the way or traps. Or both. Maybe puzzles!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hctibyllis posted:

Characters, characters, characters! Try to create personality in your NPCs without going too over the top. Get players to interact, throw them together so their dialogue can take off.

Occasionally throw in descriptions of the environment, but leave some things up to the players too. Ask them questions about their surroundings!

Try to incorporate each player's unique perspectives in your prompts to them. Got a depressive-type player? Evoke gloom and doom. Got a feisty one? Push their buttons a bit. :cheeky:

Also bear in mind you're a lot freer to use things like fonts and such in PbP. For example, I like to use bold text when something loud, imposing or terrifying is talking (like an Ork Warboss or an Old One). Another thing is use pictures, video and sounds wherever you feel they're appropriate. This can all be done in traditional table-top, but PbP makes it so much easier there's no real reason not to.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

scissorman posted:

I'll go ahead and give you the boring technical advice rather than the fun storytelling and formatting stuff:

- Proofreading is your friend. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes, and god knows, I don't do it as much as I should, but it's important if you want to avoid some embarrassing or unfortunate typos. Just give whatever you're posting a quick once-over before you post it. Particularly when you're the GM, it's important that your players understand what you're trying to tell them.

- Decide what tense you're going to use early on and stick with it. A lot of PbPs use present-tense, because it gives things more of a spontaneous feel, and it's how people tend to narrate their actions in live games. However, past-tense is sort of the default for writing out narratives, and it can be a bit tricky not to lapse into it. If you don't keep an eye on your tenses, you might end up switching between the two haphazardly.

- Try to understand the limitations of your chosen format. It will help you to form realistic expectations and maybe save you some frustration. For one thing, play by post gaming can be slooow. It is very easy for people to keep putting off writing up their posts, so some scenes will drag out and you won't see the sort of continuous progress you might in other game formats. You will have some players who post quicker than others, and quite probably some who post quicker than you. Try to make sure that the faster players don't end up going too far ahead of everyone else; if it's just dialogue, it's usually okay for you to let two players go back and forth for a while, but try and make sure that everyone gets a chance to make a contribution. It's not hard for someone to get lost in the shuffle and feel like they're being ignored, or the action's passing them by.

Conversely, you should also recognise that sometimes you will need to advance before everyone has made a response. Unlike in other formats, where player attrition mostly happens between sesssions, with play by post it's pretty common for someone to just vanish in the middle of the action. Maybe they're just suddenly really busy and will be back later, but you can't count on that, and there comes a point where you need to prioritise the fun of the metaphorical table over the fun of this one player I've seen a lot of threads die because they stall out waiting on one or two chronically absent players. On that note, you should really expect to lose some players no matter what you do; it's best not to count on any one character being around forever unless you personally know the player in question to be consistently reliable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some systems work better for play by post than others do. Light systems that give players a high degree of autonomy work best, in my experience, whereas the crunchier more traditional fare can get bogged down by needing the GM to advance the plot and arbitrate constantly. Games that make use of tools beyond rolling dice for their mechanics can be awkward to manage -- there really isn't a good way to have a player draw a player card or whatever when you're playing in a forum topic, so if your system calls for that kind of thing make sure you have it figured out beforehand and everyone involved knows the deal.

- For your first attempt, I would recommend keeping your cast relatively small. 3 - 5 players is a good amount. While in some ways play by post makes managing large numbers easier, the more people you have, the more likely someone's going to drop off the face of the Internet at an inopportune moment. And it's also that much more writing for you everytime you make a big update.

- Lastly, try not to be too self conscious about your writing, although I know it's difficult. You're not trying to get a novel published here; you're just having some fun by pretending to be elves and poo poo with Internet friends and strangers. No one's going to be judging your writing too harshly, and if they are they're probably an rear end in a top hat to begin with. Your technical skills and prose will get better over time.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I'd like to get an opinion from some DMs.

Tonight two of our players couldn't make it so it was just me, two other players and the DM. The two present players took over for the characters of the absent players. Within about an hour of play, my character and the usual character of one of the other present players were charmed and removed from play, meaning I sat there for another 2.5 hours doing nothing. At the end of the session I expressed my dissatisfaction with having my Saturday night wasted and the response was "Sorry man, you failed your saving throw."

I offered that it would have made more sense for the characters of the two absent players to be removed and it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

"Sorry man, you failed your saving throw."

Am I nuts/whiny or should a DM care more about the players having fun than the result of one dice roll? He's not the greatest DM, but this felt extra ridiculous.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

toomanyninjas posted:

Am I nuts/whiny or should a DM care more about the players having fun than the result of one dice roll? He's not the greatest DM, but this felt extra ridiculous.

No, this is a stupid way to do things, and one of the major gripes about the whole "Save or Die/Suck" playstyle. It's bad encounter design and if your DM wrote it he's a terrible DM. Fun and engagement with the players should ALWAYS be the focus. Even when a character is dying/failing horribly the player should be able to do something engaging. It's why people love Dungeon World's "fail forward" design and complain about D&D's binary roll. If on a mediocre roll I get to choose a consequence I'm doing something. If on a straight miss I get to mark exp I still don't feel like the turn was a total waste. If I roll a 1 and now it's Gary's turn I haven't done poo poo and in lots of D&D games this means I sit around doing gently caress all for 15+ minutes.

And regardless of system, someone that hinges 2 and a half hours of play on one die roll is doing a really bad job. Sounds like your DM has run into a disconnect I see in some people. When you run a game it's almost always "your" turn. If you do that for too long you forget that if a player stuns, dazes, or dominates a monster you have 7 other monsters to run, so you don't miss out on much. But a player only has one character, meaning that you have to be really careful with disabling effects. And you certainly don't give them an encounter's duration.

EDIT: Thought I was still in the NEXT thread.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 18, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

toomanyninjas posted:

I'd like to get an opinion from some DMs.

Tonight two of our players couldn't make it so it was just me, two other players and the DM. The two present players took over for the characters of the absent players. Within about an hour of play, my character and the usual character of one of the other present players were charmed and removed from play, meaning I sat there for another 2.5 hours doing nothing. At the end of the session I expressed my dissatisfaction with having my Saturday night wasted and the response was "Sorry man, you failed your saving throw."

I offered that it would have made more sense for the characters of the two absent players to be removed and it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

"Sorry man, you failed your saving throw."

Haha what so you didn't even get one of the spares to play? No, that's bullshit.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Cool, at least I'm not crazy.

This would have flown with me a lot easier 10 or 15 years ago, but now we're all in our early 30s with wives and families, so if I'm going to burn a precious Saturday night fighting imaginary monsters looking for imaginary treasure I'd like to actually at least fight some imaginary monsters and find some imaginary treasure. I told him as much and that I would have much rather spent the evening with my wife and there was a pang of guilt in his voice.

I've been thinking about leaving the group for a while now, mainly because he's an uninspiring DM, but we've all been playing together off and on since high school, so it's difficult. I haven't DM'd in more than a decade, but I'm giving some serious thought to starting a group with some guys from work. I'm nervous about failure, but I'm pretty sure I can run rings around my current guy.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Did the DM at least run an interesting railroad for you, i.e. was it scripted/intentional? Or was it just like "sorry, the rules told me you don't get to play anymore"?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Within about an hour of play, my character and the usual character of one of the other present players were charmed and removed from play, meaning I sat there for another 2.5 hours doing nothing.
Was this D&D, because that's not how charm works anyway.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

toomanyninjas posted:

I've been thinking about leaving the group for a while now, mainly because he's an uninspiring DM, but we've all been playing together off and on since high school, so it's difficult. I haven't DM'd in more than a decade, but I'm giving some serious thought to starting a group with some guys from work. I'm nervous about failure, but I'm pretty sure I can run rings around my current guy.

The only way you could do it worse is if you just stared at the players, not saying a word, for the entire session.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

P.d0t posted:

Did the DM at least run an interesting railroad for you, i.e. was it scripted/intentional? Or was it just like "sorry, the rules told me you don't get to play anymore"?

Myself and another player were charmed by a dryad who targeted people of high charisma and teleported to her lair as captives; our victimhood was based on the failure of one saving throw. Given the way things played out after we were abducted, it was clear that the game's story would have progressed to the same endgame had we passed our saving throws and remained part of the group, but if he felt a need for someone to be captured, wouldn't it have made more sense to just make it the two characters whose players were absent?

P.d0t posted:

Was this D&D, because that's not how charm works anyway.

It was 2nd Edition if that makes a difference (I don't play magic users too much and consequently don't know the spells well). And there was a story element tied into it, albeit a weak one.

I emailed the other affected player last night expressing my frustration and getting his opinion on taking a break from the group. This was his response:

quote:

I completely understand being frustrated, you came to play, not sit and and watch other characters stroll through the story. My wife was not pleased at hosting tonight, and then to have my character not do anything, which includes not gaining experience, was a put off.

This isn't the first time [NAME REDACTED] has stranded part of the party for a whole session, which I always thought was awkward. I understand the challenges of DM'ing, and that it can be difficult to craft an experience that engages all of the players all of the time, and that some sessions are slower than others to build context, story, and such. However, it's a game, and a game is about players after all.

As for last night, I would have at least liked to see our characters found sooner, or been given a chance to roll every few rounds to break the spell that they were under and found a way to escape.

All of that being said, [NAME REDACTED] does keep track of the details very well, much better than I ever did as a DM. He also tries to plan each encounter down to the smallest detail, and provides a variety of material to support the game (miniatures, source books, maps, etc.). I do feel though that he does lose sight of the player experience at times, and perhaps this is due to the extreme attention to detail he has.

I talked with him afterwards, and he felt very badly. I told him that it's a challenge to be a DM and tried to console him some, letting him know that we all make mistakes, but that we hopefully learn from them and try to craft a better experience next time. I believe he will do his best at making a more inclusive adventure next time.

I think some of the problem has to do with our DM not having been a player in more than 10 years. He doesn't remember what it's like. And he writes all his own adventures, so I'm sure the a bit of the infallibility of vanity mixed in there, too. I've cooled down a bit since last night, but I still might skip next session, but less as a petulant protest and more as a "let's take a step back from this and decide if I want to keep doing it in this group."

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 18, 2013

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So, it turns out one of the PCs in my party is ~*cRaZy!*~
This is particularly annoying because it doesn't terribly line-up with the backstory the player submitted to me, and now they're literally being like "I wanna start burning down the drinking establishment owned by the NPC I don't like who is a non-combatant."

Is there any way to handle this other than being just straight up, like "don't play your character this way"?
I really don't want to be the evil DM, but when a player is just out to start fights, should I just say "fuckit" once in a while and do it?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 20, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

P.d0t posted:

This is particularly annoying because it doesn't terribly line-up with the backstory the player submitted to me, and now they're literally being like "I wanna start burning down the drinking establishment owned by the NPC I don't like who is a non-combatant."

Is there any way to handle this other than being just straight up, like "don't play your character this way"?
I really don't want to be the evil DM, but when a player is just out to start fights, should I just say "fuckit" once in a while and do it?

Is the rest of the group good with that? Then go nuts and do whatever.
Is the rest of the group not fine with it? Warn them there will be real consequences for their character, and then implement them (but not in a way that fucks over the rest of the play), or ask them to play a less disruptive character or to tone their current character down.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It sounds like you've signed up to play different games -- they're on for a couple of hours of being an id-driven murderhobo, you're on for a game with actions and consequences and vaguely competent law enforcement. Discuss this OC! Both can make for fun games, but not unless everyone is in the same boat.

If they accept OC that their actions will have consequences, feel free to start hitting them with them. The crucial thing, I think, is not to reward his behavior. If NPCs he's wronged send bounty hunters after him, then IC that sucks, but OC he gets to be the centre of attention. Much better for NPCs to bar their doors, avoid eye contact, get out of his presence, and say little besides 'we don't want any trouble'.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

P.d0t posted:

There are a lot of ways to handle this other than saying "I don't want you to play your character this way." All of those other methods are worse.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How do you guys deal with the first session of a traditional murderhobo game, where you have to take six adventurers who don't know each other and give them a common goal? I'm running the Slaying Stone, a 4e adventure which is fairly simple "infiltrate the goblin/kobold infested town, find the MacGuffin of Slaying +2, get out alive" and I'm thinking of having the quest giver read the PCs fortunes and discover...something interesting.

The problem I have always encountered is that every single time I try to run a game regularly I can't get people to commit to more than one session, entirely loving my plans for a 2 year 30 level fate of the world campaign, and at least making it difficult to ensure short term party cooperation. What do I do?

E: actually I'm just poo poo at DMing in general but its either I run D&D or I have no D&D so I need all the idiot babby's first RPG advice you guys can consolidate on one page

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 20, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Captain Walker posted:

How do you guys deal with the first session of a traditional murderhobo game, where you have to take six adventurers who don't know each other and give them a common goal? I'm running the Slaying Stone, a 4e adventure which is fairly simple "infiltrate the goblin/kobold infested town, find the MacGuffin of Slaying +2, get out alive" and I'm thinking of having the quest giver read the PCs fortunes and discover...something interesting.

The problem I have always encountered is that every single time I try to run a game regularly I can't get people to commit to more than one session, entirely loving my plans for a 2 year 30 level fate of the world campaign, and at least making it difficult to ensure short term party cooperation. What do I do?

E: actually I'm just poo poo at DMing in general but its either I run D&D or I have no D&D so I need all the idiot babby's first RPG advice you guys can consolidate on one page

I would suggest not planning that far ahead, to be honest. Unless you already have a dependable group, it is probably not worth the effort or the emotional investment. Just plan for one or two sessions, end on an open note and hope for the best. Worst case, at least you told a story before it died. Best case, you manage to secure some players and can build a bigger plot from there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would (enthusiastically) suggest mandating that they all already knew each other somehow, and leaving it to them to work it out. You can still do the fortunes thing too. It's just not worth it to try to deal with all the "don't know each other" crap.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

"You're at X doing Y. How did you get there?" The players come up with why they're on the boat, or part of the caravan, or at the Queen's court, or raiding a dungeon. You don't have to provide the impetus for the group to stick together - if the players care about that, they'll figure it out on their own. All you need to provide is a challenge for the unlikely band of warriors to overcome. Party cohesion follows naturally.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Always Be Recruiting.

I accidentally began with like 10 players, then it dropped off to 3 and now I'm back up to 8. If you have unreliable players or people coming and going, rotating off and on, don't go hard after deep story and/or character relationships.

I learned that nobody was terribly interested in the thing I thought should be the focus of the campaign, so I quickly wrapped up that plot so we could move on to other things.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

homullus posted:

I would (enthusiastically) suggest mandating that they all already knew each other somehow, and leaving it to them to work it out. You can still do the fortunes thing too. It's just not worth it to try to deal with all the "don't know each other" crap.

This. Running character generation in isolation is a recipe for misery. Brainstorm what the party are and do and want with your players, and only write your plot once you actually know what the party's goals are.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I am starting a D20 Future adventure and I am having trouble finding good map makers to use to build a space colony from, do you guys have any sort of suggestion on what to use (besides SS13)

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So I am starting a D20 Future adventure and I am having trouble finding good map makers to use to build a space colony from, do you guys have any sort of suggestion on what to use (besides SS13)

This has been a headache for me as well. Fantasy mapping tools out the rear end, not a drat thing for sci-fi.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
cosmographer 3
astrosynthesis
hexographer does star maps
the traveller interactive starmap

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Captain Walker posted:

I was just involved in a game a week ago with a great system for getting you involved with and attached to your characters/group. I forget what the system is called, maybe someone will recognise it?

Basically you come up with a one-line description for your character, building a little bit of conflict in to it if possible. The example we were given was "Only straight cop in a dirty town". I went with "Marxist revolutionary fighting to bring down the system". You then come up with one event that's had a defining impact on your character in the past - "Was betrayed by Revolutionary Crime Squad when storming the home of a local fatcat property developer".

This is the great bit: your little story gets passed along to another member of the group who writes themselves a little part in it, while you get the story of someone else and have to write yourself into their story. It turns out the groups' conspiracy-theorist journalist had been working to uncover the fatcat's involvement in a local cult, and may have had something to do with my betrayal. Meanwhile I had joined the sewing circle of our evangelist librarian group member in order to radicalise it and recruit it to the new Revolutionary Crime Squad. You do this swap-and-rewrite one more time and then you're set to go.

It really helps break down the initial-group awkwardness, as your characters start off with this whole intertwining history behind them. I had a mild rivalry with, but also respect for the journalist while had recruited the evangelist (and had been recruited to her Demonfighting squad). Turned the boring tutorial, introductory session into something with a bit of banter to it.

Anyway, I recommend something like that!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Depends if you're after handouts/campaign maps or battlemaps. For handouts, I'm a big fan of just photoshopping stuff. For battlemaps, less sure.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

petrol blue posted:

Depends if you're after handouts/campaign maps or battlemaps. For handouts, I'm a big fan of just photoshopping stuff. For battlemaps, less sure.

I'm using roll20 for my campaign, and was hoping to find something free, but I guess I need to plonk down the $84 for it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I'm using roll20 for my campaign, and was hoping to find something free, but I guess I need to plonk down the $84 for it.

I have bad reading comprehension, you were looking for starship interior deck plans. Drivethru RPG should fix you up for cheap or free deck plans, alternately you can search through places like Cartographer's Guild and other map repositories for truly free deck plans. You can also use FTL if you want to pick up a game and use deck layouts from that and size your own grid. If you have a friend that has PDFs or print copies of games like Serenity, Spelljammer, Traveller, etc those all have deckplans also.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Campaign Cartographer has a few things that work for sci-fi/modern in its tilesets.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

aldantefax posted:

I have bad reading comprehension, you were looking for starship interior deck plans. Drivethru RPG should fix you up for cheap or free deck plans, alternately you can search through places like Cartographer's Guild and other map repositories for truly free deck plans. You can also use FTL if you want to pick up a game and use deck layouts from that and size your own grid. If you have a friend that has PDFs or print copies of games like Serenity, Spelljammer, Traveller, etc those all have deckplans also.

I'll check those out thanks.

homullus posted:

Campaign Cartographer has a few things that work for sci-fi/modern in its tilesets.

Yeah but it's really expensive too, oh well, I will figure out something. Thank you!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've got a game coming up this Friday and I'm experiencing some severe writer's block. I've DM'd for a good long while, but with this game, this is only like the third session, so nothing long-term is going on yet. It's an online game, currently via RPTools, everyone is remote. Three players, and me.

The setup: a human fighter, he'd been lost in the woods for a while, and was brought back to civilization by a dwarven cleric who's camp he happened upon one night. They did a little dungeon dive and are now officially buddies. They've travelled back to town, and that's where we're picking up Friday. They need to acquire the third character, a sorceress of some sort, and then have some fun. I want the game to be largely based out of this town from here on out, so I'd like some town-based fun this time to kind of cement things here. The town can be big or small, but I'm leaning towards small so they can work towards building the place up from a frontier town to a more central location for the world in general. I opted to give the sorceress a small house in or about the town, probably outside the town proper and nothing special, but a place to call home.

This is D&D 3.0 with a pretty strong disinterest in most of the lovely rules (we wing it like half the time.)

Any suggestions for some town-centric fun that will occupy three players for a few hours and hopefully result in a greater inclination to stick around town, at least as a home base?

e: Forgot to say: more dungeon crawly/action based than, say, political intrigue. The latter is still fine as a plot device, just not a main focus.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 22, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I've got a game coming up this Friday and I'm experiencing some severe writer's block. I've DM'd for a good long while, but with this game, this is only like the third session, so nothing long-term is going on yet. It's an online game, currently via RPTools, everyone is remote. Three players, and me.

The setup: a human fighter, he'd been lost in the woods for a while, and was brought back to civilization by a dwarven cleric who's camp he happened upon one night. They did a little dungeon dive and are now officially buddies. They've travelled back to town, and that's where we're picking up Friday. They need to acquire the third character, a sorceress of some sort, and then have some fun. I want the game to be largely based out of this town from here on out, so I'd like some town-based fun this time to kind of cement things here. The town can be big or small, but I'm leaning towards small so they can work towards building the place up from a frontier town to a more central location for the world in general. I opted to give the sorceress a small house in or about the town, probably outside the town proper and nothing special, but a place to call home.

This is D&D 3.0 with a pretty strong disinterest in most of the lovely rules (we wing it like half the time.)

Any suggestions for some town-centric fun that will occupy three players for a few hours and hopefully result in a greater inclination to stick around town, at least as a home base?

e: Forgot to say: more dungeon crawly/action based than, say, political intrigue. The latter is still fine as a plot device, just not a main focus.

"Haunted" mansion! When they clear it, they get it as a reward from the town in return for fixing it up.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
They get [a job], go in all confident because they're the new heroes in town, get their asses kicked because they have no magic support. They escape, but need to find someone (the sorceress) who can take down [the big bad's magic shield]. With her working a spell to stop it shielding, they can get revenge on the [thing].

Although, you'd have to be wary of them not taking hints that they can't take the monster initially, they might not get it and suicide if you're not careful. Maybe some research makes a big point of 'mortal weapons pass through it' or something?

e: In combination with ^^^? It's a phantom they can't hurt until the sorceress forces it into the corporeal world?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

petrol blue posted:

e: In combination with ^^^? It's a phantom they can't hurt until the sorceress forces it into the corporeal world?

Yeah, that would be awesome. You can then have them move in as the local Big drat Heroes and people can start coming to them from the town and surrounding areas with their problems. The plot can scale up from there as their notoriety grows and the problems they have to solve send them farther afield.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If it's a frontier town then it's never as secure as it looks. Have a small band of assholes run in and start looting and pillaging. Since the Sorceress is in or around town it's plausible that she would take an interest in doing some kind of damage control or defense at the same time as your Fighter and Cleric. Throw the party into a situation where the characters bond by overcoming an impending threat.

I disagree with what Petrol's saying simply because 3.X doesn't need any help making the casters feel special or important. Plus if you don't telegraph that they can't do it the players may get annoyed that you threw an unbeatable encounter at them just so they'd ask around town for the local campaign key Wizard.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
^^^ Good point, I was reading it as the Sorceress being an NPC (So likely not going to be casting spells normally).

If she's a PC, don't worry about introducing her, everyone'll soon be fellating the local caster. :smugwizard:

e: More seriously, for a town setting, heists are always fun. And drat easy to run in my experience, just set up the defences and let the players have fun!

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 22, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Razorwired posted:

If it's a frontier town then it's never as secure as it looks. Have a small band of assholes run in and start looting and pillaging. Since the Sorceress is in or around town it's plausible that she would take an interest in doing some kind of damage control or defense at the same time as your Fighter and Cleric. Throw the party into a situation where the characters bond by overcoming an impending threat.

I disagree with what Petrol's saying simply because 3.X doesn't need any help making the casters feel special or important. Plus if you don't telegraph that they can't do it the players may get annoyed that you threw an unbeatable encounter at them just so they'd ask around town for the local campaign key Wizard.

The local tavern is serving Bad Brew, the beer that makes people crazy! The PCs must investigate! Giant rats and barrel smashing may be involved!

Edit: Also, make a swag (6-8) thumbnail sketches of characters and names that you can scatter around the town, and then keep an eye on which ones the players are interested in so you can develop them further. Give each one a name, a way of talking/catchphrase and a relationship with another town member. Adventures will ensure, I promise.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right on, this'll be great. Thanks a ton. Usually I'm full of ideas, but sometimes, it's just not working. :shobon:

As for the hookup with the caster, we'll just roll it in as part of the story. Because of the venue, a lot of stuff is hand-waved into story telling, so it'll be along the lines of, "And from what you've learned of the problem, YOU'LL NEED AN ARCANE SPELLCASTER OF SOME SORT. Oh hey, she looks like the type." With a group this small and easy going, nobody will have any problems at all with that. They'd rather be adventuring than using up time just to get someone in the party who is literally sitting right there. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 22, 2013