Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tusen Takk posted:

Dropped the Redline off at the dealership to have the power steering and steering intermediate shaft replaced under recall, which means I get to DD the '37 Ford while the weather is still nice :).

Were you getting a clunking sound going over bumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Were you getting a clunking sound going over bumps?

Yessir, it wasn't the struts and as far as I can tell it's not the IM shaft from the diff to the passenger side axle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GM products, both cars and trucks, have had that intermediate shaft clunk for 15 ears now without a fix besides "replace the shaft" repeated over and over.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tusen Takk posted:

Nice! I'm really hoping to find one of these in a year or two.

So you can troll two fanbases at once? v:v:v

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

So you can troll two fanbases at once? v:v:v

Because it has a nicer interior and I hate myself and enjoy looking everywhere for parts for specialsnowflakemobiles v:v:v

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fps_bill posted:

I hate you so much. I want a 5 speed xj so bad.

Do you want the 4-banger that goes with it, too?
I wish it was a 4.0L, but the price was right, and it goes alright (when the clutch isn't buggered). I'll slip on something more awesome if and when the 2.5 goes, which will likely be never, given it's derived from the nigh-immortal 4.0.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I recorded this yesterday to test the sound from my gopro. This was with all but the drivers window up and the wind noise was still intruding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4nIQSSbqAI

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did a bunch of poo poo and posted a thread about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566347

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Are you going to post more driving video soon? :v:

Ask and ye shall receive :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SWKc44O0ds

This is with the header, test pipe, and exhaust. The flashpro will be here on Friday so I'll record another video with VTEC dropped to 4200 and the redline raised to 8500. It freakin screams now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Because it has a nicer interior and I hate myself and enjoy looking everywhere for parts for specialsnowflakemobiles v:v:v

All the parts other than some trim, upholstery and body panels are Subaru.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Got my car back, they replaced the power steering, and they told me it wasn't the steering intermediate shaft, but the CRADLE BOLTS were stripped :stonk:. Now to crawl under and see if the nuts are stripped too and if I can find some bolts or get them from the stealership.

blk posted:

All the parts other than some trim, upholstery and body panels are Subaru.

Oh, hmm, I thought some of the parts like the steering rack or something was only Saaburu. Good to know that it won't be impossible to find parts then!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Strip, strip, strip. I took out the carpet to sell to a dude along with the seats, and discovered I could see daylight through the driver's side footwell. Whoops.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Paul Boz_ posted:

Ask and ye shall receive :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SWKc44O0ds

This is with the header, test pipe, and exhaust. The flashpro will be here on Friday so I'll record another video with VTEC dropped to 4200 and the redline raised to 8500. It freakin screams now.

Awesome! Love the harmony it creates with itself when you're between jersey barriers :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing/flywheel done on the Civic. Coil pack done on the Ranger. And not pictured are two window regulators I replaced in a Mazda MPV. Busy day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh, hmm, I thought some of the parts like the steering rack or something was only Saaburu. Good to know that it won't be impossible to find parts then!

Steering rack is from an STi I think, but the rest is basically 05-06 WRX, except the nice 06+ calipers.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

"Why are you flippin' me off? I did not engineer that thing."

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

The 14s which came on my ranger from the tightass previous owner finally died, so I took the opportunity to upgradde to some affordable 15s. While I was at it I started getting caught up on neglected maintenance. Also did brakes all around, power steering return hose was leaking so that got replaced, and unbelievably the fuel filter still had (factory?) undercoating at 254k miles so that got replaced as well.

Runs and drives like a dream now!

edit-

The above mentioned motorcraft fuel filter at 254k.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 23, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Picked up an '09 Accord V6 6 speed last weekend and just finished installing a GReddy SE exhaust and Takeda SRI. :rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hBrxc7wYA

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Carbon Deity posted:

Picked up an '09 Accord V6 6 speed last weekend and just finished installing a GReddy SE exhaust and Takeda SRI. :rice:

You have better sounding VTECs than I do :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Carbon Deity posted:

Picked up an '09 Accord V6 6 speed last weekend and just finished installing a GReddy SE exhaust and Takeda SRI.

I've always thought that generation Accord looks really sharp and the 3.5L V6 is a very good piece. Sounds awesome, no rice here.

As for what I did today; I detailed the interior of the MX-5 today, nothing special just armorall on all the plastics but I hit the seats with leather treatment it's pretty night/day now;

Milk Chocolate

Dark Chocolate

mmm...Dark Chocolate...In other news I took the door edge guards off and there's a line where they wore on the paint, I tried using a light cutting polish to take it out by hand but it's still there, any ideas? No pics though because :effort:

Edit; forgot how big the V6 is in the Gen8 Accord durr

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 24, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Lowered VTEC to 4200, raised the redline to 8500, and it's awesome. There's more torque across the whole powerband and it's a lot more responsive at lower RPMs. I've got a dyno session set up for two weekends from now.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 24, 2013

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I traded in my toy a month ago for a 2013 Soul+. I've put over 4500 miles on it since then and purchased some snow tires, Dunlop Winterforce. I decided to put the snow tires on the factory wheels so i asked my kids, 5 and 8yr old girls, what wheels i should put on my car. They came in today so i put them on.

Kid approved, pictures do not give the brightness justice but they're definitely unique.

I stuck with the sixteen to keep ride quality decent when i put my Eibach's on.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Pulled the radiator out of the Niva. Managed to spread the weird goop at the bottom of the radiator everywhere. It was at the bottom so it wasn't oil. Who knows. Who cares? Not me. Looks like the top fitting needs some work too. Damnit. There's a crack all the way around the join and when I move the fitting a little I can see tiny droplets of ? getting squeezed out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toucan Sam posted:

I traded in my toy a month ago for a 2013 Soul+. I've put over 4500 miles on it since then and purchased some snow tires, Dunlop Winterforce. I decided to put the snow tires on the factory wheels so i asked my kids, 5 and 8yr old girls, what wheels i should put on my car. They came in today so i put them on.

Kid approved, pictures do not give the brightness justice but they're definitely unique.

I stuck with the sixteen to keep ride quality decent when i put my Eibach's on.

Is the white balance on your camera hosed or is the paint color some kind of faint pepto bismol pink...?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Finished pulling the transmission out of the Cherokee to replace the failed, screeching release bearing.

Yep, it failed.

Those two balls are the only bearings I found in the bellhousing, and they were firmly embedded in the grease, so I don't think they'd been part of the release bearing for some time. When I spun the remains of the bearing, silver dust trickled out.

Lots of rusty dust around here.

Yeah, there's not even a hint of any sort of lubrication in there. This would be why I had trouble getting it into gear when stopped. The pilot bearing wasn't seized, but it had enough drag to spin up the trans even with the clutch disengaged.

Clutch disc was almost worn out.

Rivets were juuuust making their presence felt on the pressure plate. No damage to the flywheel, thankfully.

New clutch in. Transmission will go back in tomorrow.

Also noticed this while I was under there with the trans out:

I guess that's where the slight exhaust leak is coming from. At least it's just missing and not broken off. I'll get a bolt in there before the trans goes back in.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geoj posted:

Is the white balance on your camera hosed or is the paint color some kind of faint pepto bismol pink...?

Half dark out, it's dune which is creme colored.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Double posting from my phone, oops.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Front brakes on a smart fortwo. From up close you'd think you were working on a real car. :buddy:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought some winter wheels.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I've always said that BMW makes some of the best-looking factory wheels, but Style 158s show that even they have bad days once in a while.

Then again, they're winter wheels for you so v:v:v. What are you thinking of for rubber?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I legit like style 158s. I really like BMWs fat multispoke designs, I'm still trying to find a set of M contours to replace the DSIIs on my e36 m3. As for tires, it'll be whatever decent used winters I can find. I live in canada so new tires are absurdly expensive, like almost double the price in some cases.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Carbon Deity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4y59Edt6Z0

Here is my turbo civic, camera fell off the mount but you get the idea. You can see the tires getting shredded once it hits full boost by the debris getting thrown inside the car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was going to install a headlight relay. Instead I changed a battery that mysteriously kicked the bucket last night. It was an undersized "ValuCraft" that I really wanted to replace anyway. Strange that it would die so suddenly, perhaps it suffered a career ending injury while I drove home last night, because a '72 IH will power only the lights with a key, and they were definitely off.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Last week, but finished my gauge install

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

opengl128 posted:

Last week, but finished my gauge install

Wow, that looks very nice. Great work!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ALMOST got the Cherokee's transmission back in. As usual, it's fighting me, compounded by some stupid design choices on the Harbor Freight transmission jack.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Pulled the head off because cyl 3 compression was very low and it runs like poo poo. No obvious problems found, I'm going to do a valve job and put it back together without the emissions crap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

Disc brakes have 2 moving parts, 2 bolts and a rubber seal. That's it. 3 if it's a rear caliper with ratcheting parking brake piston.

Compared to having to finagle 2 shoes, the adjuster, adjuster arm and parking lever in 8 different directions to get all the springs attached without everthing flying apart, I'll take discs any day.

E: Also I had to gently caress with the little circle clip that holds the wheel cylinder on. This motherfucker:

drat thing has popped off multiple times since I put the new cylinders on earlier this year. Seriously, GM, what's wrong with bolts? You can even use Torx heads, really, I don't mind!

I hate drums but at least Jeep did them right. I can replace a wheel cylinder in 70 minutes drive-in to drive-out including cleaning the floor in the shop, picking up my tools, bleeding the brakes, and forming a new brake line because the drat end twisted off the old one.

Wheel cylinders are held in with two bolts that are threaded into the cylinder, so worst case if you round em off you grind off the heads, push it through, and put 50 cents of new bolts in.

And I only had to remove two of those goddamn springs to finagle one shoe out of the way of the cylinder enough to get it out.

Hell, even putting new drum brakes on only took me about an hour and a half for both sides back in January when I had to pass my inspection.

poo poo I did to my jalopies:
the aforementioned 70 minute brake cylinder replacement. I had a brake cylinder go bad on my DD so I bought new ones at lunch and did the bad one after work. Probably do the other side later this week, one of my coworkers wants me to teach her how to fix things on jeeps.

Then Saturday I did new upstream cats, downstream cat, and tailpipe/muffler on my uncle's 2000 4.7L/A340/automatic Tundra. Good loving lord Toyota, what were you thinking? Awesome disposable exhaust clamp to connect the muffler to the downstream cat? Great, that's awesome*. Two-bolt flanges with through bolts to connect the upstream cats to the downstream cat? Also awesome*. Two bolt flanges for the O2 sensors, so the threads don't get ruined when you pull them out and you can reuse them on the new cats? Really awesome*.

loving 3 M10x1.25 (couldn't be 1.5mm pitch, had to be 1.25 so I didn't have a tap for it!) studs threaded into each exhaust manifold flange, with all metal locknuts cranked all the way down holding the cats to said flanges? In the rust belt? :fuckoff::fuckoff::fuckoff::fuckoff::fuckoff::fuckoff::commissar:

Not loving cool! Even though they didn't look all that bad, with all my penetrating oil and thermal tricks, 3 of them twisted off, two backed out under significant protest, and the nut actually came off the last one.

I ended up through-drilling everything that came out properly or broke off with a 3/8 drill and running 3/8" UNC grade 8s through them. Civil disobedience, gently caress you Toyota and gently caress your metric system. It worked and he passed inspection and now the next person to replace all that will be able to just grind the heads off and throw new bolts in 5 minutes later if it gives them any hassle.

Drilling 10mm PC10.9 hardened hardware out of exhaust manifold flanges under a truck, lying on crushed stone, while quietly freaking out because he needs to drive it to work on Monday and if I gently caress this up it's going to need new manifolds which will probably result in broken manifold to head studs and pulling the heads and new head gaskets and timing belts and OH GOD THE GODDAMN DRILL WENT SIDEWAYS IN THE loving BUSTED OFF STUD AND THEN BROKE OFF AND NOW I'M hosed GOD loving DAMMIT gently caress YOU TOYOTA** was no fun until I got everything drilled through and it was time to put new parts on. Thanks for the future gray hair, Toyota.

* cliff notes: if it's a through-bolt or disposable clamp and I can cut the remaining congealed blob of rust off and replace it with $5 in new parts instead of worrying about breaking bolts, rounding nuts, or stripping threads, it's awesome :v:

** not even going to get started on how many hot metal chips ended up in my hair, ears, mouth, and eyes. I only found a few of those spot burns on my face today. Gravity sucks.

e:

Fucknag posted:

Oh dang that's helpful, I did the same thing trying to yank the axles from my Protege, tore the poo poo out of my ball joint boot. I would up unbolting the control arms, they're still hanging since I could never get the tapers to break.
Big hammer method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc

BlackMK4 posted:

Nothing wrong with rocking cheap takeoff tires forever.

3 of the tires on my DD I got off the street corner near my house with a "free" sign on them with 75% tread remaining. A bit of dry rotting, I was going to use them as burnout tires then I ran one as a spare and forgot about it, ended up doing 100 on it then remembering and figured it didn't blow up doing 100, it'll never blow up if I keep it to 80 or under :v: (yes, this is terrible car poo poo. But free tires.)

e2: Darchangel, do yourself a favor and run a tap through that manifold stud hole before you put it back in. Should be 3/8-16 UNC iirc. Nothing worse than a stud seizing itself in by the next time you have to pull it apart.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 27, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Pulled interior bits apart to access the relay panel, testing relays and wiring to find out why my front fogs have stopped working. After about an hour of intesnse electrical diag i discovered my bulbs are blown.

Memo to self, test that poo poo, don't rely on "It looks ok".. Not impressed with myself today. Ordered new bulbs, let's hope that's all it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A few days ago I put a new air filter in my van. (86 chevy van for anybody that cares) It was one of those where you remove the old airbox and it's a wire mesh with foam and such, shaped like a triangle. Took it out onto the freeway, and opened it up.

My god, the sound. It was heavenly. :allears: It feels like it pulls a little harder than it did at or near WOT, but really, it's all about the noise now. That alone was worth it. My facial expression was probably literally this. :hawaaaafap: