Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

An Old Boot posted:

Maybe this is :spergin: time for me, but meds are a salve, not a cure. Meds without therapy lead to relapses frequently, and dropping weed or alcohol entirely can lead to a lot of problems if they're used often. Depression is a common factor in going cold turkey on weed, so it's really not the best advice. If the use is infrequent, it's safe. If it's frequent? Don't do it all at once.

Taper on the "bad" stuff, and don't accept meds unless you're committed to therapy.

Really, this can't be stressed enough: meds work best when used in tandem with actual therapy. Meds often only work as well as weed or alcohol when they're used by themselves.

EDIT: Shifted some wording around for clarity. I'm not against meds, but I've never known them to be a "fix it" method, and any therapist/psychiatrist worth their salt will tell you the same.

Yeah, you should pretty much always at least try to pair meds with therapy. If it's a long-standing mental illness, then meds can prove to be an effective maintainence where therapy isn't achieving a whole lot - in that case therapy can be considered less important. But a good psychiatrist is always going to try to pair the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Thank you for sharing these stories, I Am The Fury. They have been a fascinating read and I really hope you recover after what Martha did to you. That kinda poo poo is not cool and you shouldn't have to deal with it. I've got my fingers crossed for your recovery. It's probably going to be a long and bumpy ride. But with time and therapy I'm sure you'll recover.

Also, Alice seems like a really chill friend. People like that are going to be vital in rebuilding your ability to trust others. Plus hanging out with her seems to make you genuinely happy. So thumbs up.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
In undergrad I had the honor of meeting the unlikeliest couple on Earth: a lesbian couple, also roommates on campus, also both suffering from DID. I called bullshit immediately but didn't say anything in order to avoid conflict, but my boyfriend went out of his way to befriend these interesting folk and invite them to eat with us at dinner and so on. Yeah, I told him the odds of both women actually both having that disorder were a bajillion to one, and while he believed me he also wanted to observe the crazy in its natural habitat. He'd make a terrible goon since he likes Touching The Poop. Whenever we ate dinner with them they always acted pretty normal, even if they were some pretty big Twilight fangirls, and I highly suspect fanfiction is what got them both into believing they're both hosts to an array of personalities but ~only when nobody else is around!~ My boyfriend did once get called over to their dorm to resolve an argument when each surfaced a personality that hated the other one. He said that was probably the most interesting conversation he'd ever had. In the end their "normal" personas surfaced and they mutually kicked him out so they could have makeup sex or something. Seriously, I wish them well and hope they grow out of it.

Oh, and seconding Alice sounding like an awesome person. She definitely sounds like she's worth waiting a few weeks for.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

moerketid posted:

Yeah, you should pretty much always at least try to pair meds with therapy. If it's a long-standing mental illness, then meds can prove to be an effective maintainence where therapy isn't achieving a whole lot - in that case therapy can be considered less important. But a good psychiatrist is always going to try to pair the two.

Ah... Sorry about that one. I forget that not everyone needs meds to function :blush:

Also wasn't aware weed had withdrawals. Soooooooo, don't listen to me, fella.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

moerketid posted:

Yeah, even though my issue is brain damage and not mental illness, my neuropsychiatrist still pairs meds with CBT and other therapies and rehabilitative techniques. This resulted in me needing half my initial medication load, and as my brain damage has progressed to probable dementia, having a primary emphasis on therapeutic techniques means we catch the complicating factors earlier and I'm better able to handle the diagnostic process and my condition without experiencing the usual depression that most of his patients have or eventually get.

Basically there is always a reason to incorporate some kind of therapy. It's like adding to your emotional knowledge, the same way you'd read a history book to add to your history knowledge. You never know what life is going to throw at you, so allow yourself to experience all the tools that can help you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I used to be a Civil War reenactor, and two of my friends believed that they were a special kind of people, not really human, on a higher spiritual level (I can't remember the name they used for these things). The proof of this was that the characters they were portraying in reenactment were actually real--one of them believed she was the reincarnation of a Confederate soldier and the other one believed that his two living history characters lived in his mind and took him over sometimes. They thought I was one of these super-people as well; since I was pretty good at portraying my reenacting character, I must also have been "him"/"he" must also have been real.

Middle-aged people, reasonably successful (one was a freelance photographer and one was a professional living historian), very competent at the hobby, friendly, nice. We were pretty close and I miss them. They led what you might call some variation of normal American lives. Except for one detail.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 20, 2013

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

I used to be a Civil War reenactor, and two of my friends believed that they were a special kind of people, not really human, on a higher spiritual level (I can't remember the name they used for these things).

The term they use these days is "soulbond." I think the old term was medium.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

teh winnar! posted:

The term they use these days is "soulbond." I think the old term was medium.
No, it was a unique term that I'd never heard in that context before. I think it sounded like the word for an angel or something. And this wasn't a different occupation (like a medium), they were a different species. Like human beings but more spiritual.

They drew me aside at one living history event to tell me the happy news, amid the smell of horses and the hanging dust.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 20, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Was it Aasimar or Deva by any chance?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Was it Aasimar or Deva by any chance?
No...I want to say Enochian but I know that's not right. Christ, I have the scene in my head: We're not really humans like the others, we're--- and then a blank. :saddowns:

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Indigo Children?

Louisiana Van Van
Jan 11, 2009

Then a miracle occurred in the form of a plate of sandwiches.
I am a philosopher of sandwiches, he decided. Things good on the inside.
Nephilim?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lizard people?

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Bat poo poo crazy?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Roleplayers.

Wait that's the honest answer.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Annunaki?

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Prancerising in your dreams.

No...I want to say Enochian but I know that's not right. Christ, I have the scene in my head: We're not really humans like the others, we're--- and then a blank. :saddowns:

Otherkin?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Ashura! I think.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of synonyms for "weirdo."

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3
One of my classmates is severely (unmedicated) bipolar and went off the deep end last year. I found this sign when my boyfriend and I were heading to brunch one morning and wasn't sure if it was some desperate MLMer or someone absolutely crazy. I posted it to facebook and immediately a couple friends who'd kept in contact with him told me what happened.

(NOTE: the website is extremely :nws: and :nms: )

It's equal parts falling for MLMs and God delusions. Probably one of the most :catstare: things I've stumbled upon recently. I found his Instagram and it's so strange to see someone that far gone.

And as someone who is also bipolar but well-managed with medication for years by now, it makes me wonder why some of us do better.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

The Blue L-Block posted:

And as someone who is also bipolar but well-managed with medication for years by now, it makes me wonder why some of us do better.

Because quite likely it's not the bipolar itself that's causing that, it's a co-morbid mental problem.

Sage Unending
Oct 23, 2008

The Blue L-Block posted:

One of my classmates is severely (unmedicated) bipolar

I think I found the difference.

But seriously, I have a bipolar friend that refuses to medicate. It's always just a matter of time until he's forced back into a psych ward. Ironically he sees taking medication as losing control of his life, and giving in.

Congrats on actually taking control of your life, and maintaining medication.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

No, it was a unique term that I'd never heard in that context before. I think it sounded like the word for an angel or something. And this wasn't a different occupation (like a medium), they were a different species. Like human beings but more spiritual.

They drew me aside at one living history event to tell me the happy news, amid the smell of horses and the hanging dust.

Fictive/factive?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Did they actually claim to be Indigo Children? I almost forgot that was a thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Baofu posted:

Did they actually claim to be Indigo Children? I almost forgot that was a thing.
No they didn't, since they were a pair of middle-aged Civil War reenactors. Ashuras it was.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

No they didn't, since they were a pair of middle-aged Civil War reenactors. Ashuras it was.

Ashura is a Muslim religious festival. Asura is a kind of Vedic demigod, but they're generally considered destructive entities. Your acquaintances confuse me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The second one is also pronounced with a "sh," I think.

Edit: Wait a sec--the part where their reenactment characters are real, you're just fine with; the intricacies of the terminology they made up to designate this, now that's confusing?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 22, 2013

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3

Sage Unending posted:

I think I found the difference.

But seriously, I have a bipolar friend that refuses to medicate. It's always just a matter of time until he's forced back into a psych ward. Ironically he sees taking medication as losing control of his life, and giving in.

Congrats on actually taking control of your life, and maintaining medication.

There were a couple times I stopped taking my meds ("no seriously I can CONTROL MYSELF NOW! :byodame: ") but luckily had enough of a connection left to reality to tell I was hurting the people I loved. The form I have (ultradian cycling) isn't very common and I didn't get the official diagnosis until I was 20.

Aside from that, no one really sticks out in my memory. Except for Robert. We could never tell if that kid actually believed his playtime scenario of the day or was just really, really good at pretending. Maybe he's a famous actor by now.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I'm currently slogging through this massive thread (currently on page 37 or so) and I don't know if Noodles is still around but it seems some of the images (from the story of beads and on) are no longer available :(

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Yeah my server was hosted on my ex's main, and it went down.
I actually do not have these images anymore, so if anyone has saved them please get in touch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I've reached the end! So much for that distraction at work. :(

I've got stories, but some are awaiting approval, because I have to clear it with the guy who was the boyfriend of the crazy.

In the meantime, in my school years, I guess I was the odd one out, but I was also a diagonised asperger child, a diagnosis I got from a psychologist I was actually seeing, to find out if I suffered any damage from my uncle mistreating me when I was young (most likely sexual mistreatment. He never served in prison, he got off scot-free because our lawyer didn't appeal in time) Justice systems (in Norway) are hosed.

Anyway, I was the weird kid because I made an active sport from my overactive imagination, in a way most kids at that school did not. I would run back and forth, make sounds according to the stories I made up in my head and talk out aloud dialog or how I imagined things were happening.

As I grew up, my sister (and my moms current boyfriend) eventually decided enough was enough and decided to humiliate me by enacting my actions on the porch while I sat down and watched this eight year older older sister perform my "dance" infront of my, coming to the realization of how absolutely retarded I looked. From that day onward, I hid it much better. :downs:

It's a tick that was never completely treated and I still have the urge to get up and jump about. Sometimes I'd talk to myself out loud the plots while walking between home and school. Ever fearful someone would see me and think I was insane. And if caught, I'd start coughing or pretend I am on the cellphone. When I studied game design, it helped me imagine the worlds more strongly. Now that I work for a large company doing various IT tasks, usually focused on testing, I do it to better conceptualize scripting, connecting the dots, as it were.

But I can't do it around people anymore. It probably allows me to hide my syndrome better, because nobody I meet ever think I am weird or show any sign of anything but a normal, if slightly introverted man.

If you would ask, I never once believed anything of it was real. They were things I was hoping to one day make. When you are 8 years old, you really do hope that you get to fight Shredder as a ninja turtle, after all. But for six long years I was the odd one out at my school. High school was different. In grade school I found myself occasionally bullied. In high-school, somehow everyone were my allies. And in three grades after that, not sure what they are called, some of my class-mates insisted I was mind-controlling the bullies.

Stories for another time, I guess. I feel a bit weird just posting this as it isn't really something I like to talk about normally. Especially with the prevelance of people self-diagnosing themselves and using it as an excuse making it sort of a thing I don't really want to bring up and rather by judged as a normal person posting, as I should.

Funny story at the end, I didn't find out I had this diagnose or what had happened to me as a kid until senior high school, when I literally asked my mom straight up "What is wrong with me" and she started pulling our these documents and told me what my uncle did to me as a child. I'm fairly sure I reacted as well as you would.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Anyway, I was the weird kid because I made an active sport from my overactive imagination, in a way most kids at that school did not. I would run back and forth, make sounds according to the stories I made up in my head and talk out aloud dialog or how I imagined things were happening.

Oh hey I did this too. It took like halfway through high school, with a LOT of conscious effort, to stop doing it. I still move my lips sometimes if I'm not watching myself carefully. I also hold entire extended 'conversations' with people who actually exist but aren't currently present. I've probably appeared as the subject of some other form of this thread elsewhere on the internet.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
^^^I deliberately made up imaginary friends to have conversations with. Like, fully being aware that I'm making things up and doing it anyway. I was lonely as poo poo and I've always had a half-decent imagination.

This thread is always painful for me to read, because I stood a very real chance of being like some of the people talked about here. :( I'm mentally ill, the product of a lovely home life and have what's possibly developmental issues and didn't have friends/basically lived in my own head for the majority of my childhood and early teens.

I think what saved me was finding Internet people to befriend who weren't toxic or delusional or groomers. I basically lucked out!

Edit: Wait a sec--the part where their reenactment characters are real, you're just fine with; the intricacies of the terminology they made up to designate this, now that's confusing?

I've heard weirder poo poo, though admittedly the people concerned were almost always teenagers or young adults in bad life situations who needed escapism.

... on second thoughts, that's the bit that weirds me out the most. They have fulfilling lives and careers, but then they believe something like that. :psyduck: And then I realise I'm one to talk, since I'm fairly deeply spiritual and religious (though not necessarily devout) and I'm fairly sure bits of what I believe seem as strange to some people as this Asura stuff seems to me.

I generally dislike laughing at people for being harmless kooks, but this thread generally isn't doing that, since the people described are usually not harmless. Your friends at least sound like interesting people I'd like to have a conversation with! Probably about history, though, and not much else.

weavernaut fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 6, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Corridor posted:

Oh hey I did this too. It took like halfway through high school, with a LOT of conscious effort, to stop doing it. I still move my lips sometimes if I'm not watching myself carefully. I also hold entire extended 'conversations' with people who actually exist but aren't currently present. I've probably appeared as the subject of some other form of this thread elsewhere on the internet.

Haha, don't feel bad about it.

Sometimes I "interview" people that I like or respect in my head, "talking" about what they do and stuff. I try to imagine what kind of person they are based on their output in society/interviews I've seen. One person I've always longed to interview for real is Miyamoto, of Nintendo fame. He just seems like a such happy, creative guy! :3:

I've asked my BF about doing things like that, and he does it too, so perhaps it's something that creatives just do.

E:spelling

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

DicktheCat posted:

I've asked my BF about doing things like that, and he does it too, so perhaps it's something that creatives just do.

I think it's a bit like drawing someone making a facial expression and finding yourself subconsciously making the same face. Kind of as if the two are audio/visual expressions of the same mental process. v:shobon:v

I don't think I ever spoke them out loud in public, but I've definitely done the mouthing thing. Well, a few times I think I conjured up a conversation so funny that I truly laughed out loud (seemingly at nothing and probably disconcerting to those around me). I've spoken them in private, if I'm in the shower or about to fall asleep. I guess it's just because if you're "planning" something, you kind of want to hear how it sounds, and that's the easiest way to figure it out. One of those behaviors that seems weird even though it appears that a sizeable minority actually does it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

weavernaut posted:

I've heard weirder poo poo, though admittedly the people concerned were almost always teenagers or young adults in bad life situations who needed escapism.

... on second thoughts, that's the bit that weirds me out the most. They have fulfilling lives and careers, but then they believe something like that. :psyduck:
Well, the guy in that couple is seriously ill--back when I knew them he would almost die about once a year and he had already had an organ transplant for some reason. If your own body is trying to destroy you, you have no immune system, and you're leaking fluid out of various tubes, being a debonair gambler from an 1800s mining town is probably preferable.

But this really didn't seem like escapism to me, just...I don't know, the next step after being really into their hobby was to make it part of their identity on a metaphysical level?

They were pretty cool though. They knew a lot about music, history, D&D, etc. The woman was a former music professor, I think.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 8, 2013

Puddums
Jul 3, 2013

Jyrraeth posted:

I knew someone who latched onto Squall from FF8 as her obsession. She'd write self-insert fanfiction where he falls in love with her. He acted like a perfect romantic prince, with some other very non-Squall trait that escapes me now.

At the time I knew enough about the game to know a little about his personality (at least at the beginning of the game) and I told her how he acted in-game. She got annoyed at me for telling her that her interpretation of him was wrong.

Holy poo poo so did I. I personally liked Zell, I never even played the game but all my friends did so I got in on some fangirling for a while.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DicktheCat posted:

Haha, don't feel bad about it.

Sometimes I "interview" people that I like or respect in my head, "talking" about what they do and stuff. I try to imagine what kind of person they are based on their output in society/interviews I've seen. One person I've always longed to interview for real is Miyamoto, of Nintendo fame. He just seems like a such happy, creative guy! :3:

E:spelling

I do this, too. Rich fantasy lives :hf:

Like you, though, and unlike the subjects of this thread, I also know that it's not real. I wonder how fine that line is :staredog:
When do you stop maintaining an imaginary personality in your thoughts for laughs and funs, and instead start to think that construct is a real being?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

deadly_pudding posted:

I do this, too. Rich fantasy lives :hf:

Like you, though, and unlike the subjects of this thread, I also know that it's not real. I wonder how fine that line is :staredog:
When do you stop maintaining an imaginary personality in your thoughts for laughs and funs, and instead start to think that construct is a real being?

That's when they become Living Characters. They've been discussed here before. What they are is a matter of debate, but they do exist. Writers see them all the time. If we're lucky, they'll do the heavy lifting on a story and all we do is write down what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I quite enjoy the Living Characters I have.
The difference between people like me and people with HEADMATES who are MULTIPLE SYSTEMS is that at the end of the day I attend to a real life, whereas they post on Tumblr about how they are a toddler and a flying dog at the same time and thusly can't be asked to have a job, but also god dammit are not sick and don't need medication, gently caress you you singletist.

• Locked thread