Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Magres posted:

it's really, really worth pausing the movie to read the full board for the betting pool.

Here it is:

I guess it's SPOILERS if you haven't seen the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"Angry Molesting Tree"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

In The Cabin in the Woods, our introduction to the stoner character is him driving up in a car smoking a bong with smoke billowing from the open windows. He then gets out, shuts the door, locks it through the open window and then gives the door handle a tug to make sure it's shut.

Also, the main cast is basically the Scooby gang, if you think about it.

I noticed that when I saw it in theaters and made a noise that was like "BWOAHAHA!" much to my friend's chagrin.
That guy is a really good actor and I wish he got more roles.

edit:
"KEVIN" sounds terrifying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Professor Shark posted:

"Angry Molesting Tree"

As seen in The Evil Dead, Poltergeist and Harry Potter. :eng101:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The different entries for "witches" and "sexy witches" will never cease to amuse me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here it is:

I guess it's SPOILERS if you haven't seen the film.
I want to see each of these monsters as they appeared in that universe. Give us an anthology, because drat I want to see the jack o lantern twins and how the Unicorn kills people.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
He didn't do much, but I really liked the faux-Cenobite. Managed to be a lot more serenely ominous than even the real one.

edit: Ah, I guess he's the "Hell Lord" the board mentions.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Aug 19, 2013

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KoRMaK posted:

I want to see each of these monsters as they appeared in that universe. Give us an anthology, because drat I want to see the jack o lantern twins and how the Unicorn kills people.

You see the unicorn stab a dude in the chest in the movie and I THINK you see every monster at some point, at least for a brief moment.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

KoRMaK posted:

Knock yourself out.

Edit: :smugbert: vv

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Aug 19, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
^^^^^
I WILL SUMMON KEVIN ON YOUR rear end :argh:

There's a CitW wiki that has entries for all the monsters on the board including Kevin. Some of them only appeared in cut scenes or directors commentaries.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I assumed Kevin was a spoof on freddy or jason.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

According to the Wiki it sounds more like the Hobbit guy from Sin City.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As seen in The Evil Dead, Poltergeist and Harry Potter. :eng101:

And Something Positive! :eng101:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Yea I think I remember reading an interview with the director or somebody that said that Kevin was supposed to be just your standard crazy psyco guy. So not quite like Freddy or Jason, more like guy from Sin City or John Doe from Seven.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Now that's just silly. I really loved all the monsters. Even kevin.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Professor Shark posted:

Wasn't Elijah Wood's character named Kevin in Sin City?

edit:
It was!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
One monster I don't see on the list is the spider-bot thing with saws on it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

He didn't do much, but I really liked the faux-Cenobite. Managed to be a lot more serenely ominous than even the real one.

edit: Ah, I guess he's the "Hell Lord" the board mentions.

He is the Hell Lord, although his full title according to the end credits is "Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain" :twisted:

I really loved that monster; the actor playing him had such a perfect, intense stare that it really added something to his brief on-screen appearance.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

burnsep posted:

One monster I don't see on the list is the spider-bot thing with saws on it.

It's in the second part of the list ("Killer Robot"), since it wasn't on the board.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
According to the wiki, Kevin is a nod to the Kevin from We Need To Talk About Kevin.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Know there's evidence otherwise, but I'm just going to assume it's the bird from Up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jesus christ this thing is still going? I used to read this thing like a decade ago.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pleads posted:

Jesus christ this thing is still going? I used to read this thing like a decade ago.

The art hasn't improved much, has it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it still a cavalcade of grinding depression? Of people acting terribly unto eachother and only bad things ever happening to people?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

VanSandman posted:

The art hasn't improved much, has it?

It looks pretty much exactly like it did when I stopped reading it six years ago. The line delivery and "jokes" are also exactly the same.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's in the second part of the list ("Killer Robot"), since it wasn't on the board.

There are also some Left 4 Dead monsters in the various glass boxes.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Coffee And Pie posted:

According to the wiki, Kevin is a nod to the Kevin from We Need To Talk About Kevin.

I had an idea, though it may be too random/obscure. There's a 10th Doctor (Doctor Who) audio story "The Curse of the Black Spot", where there is a black shadow monster named Kevin.

I'd love it if that were true. I mean, it's Joss Whedon, so there's no limit to how obscure or nerdy it can be. But I realize it's most likely referencing movie creatures.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PersonalGenius posted:

I had an idea, though it may be too random/obscure. There's a 10th Doctor (Doctor Who) audio story "The Curse of the Black Spot", where there is a black shadow monster named Kevin.

I'd love it if that were true. I mean, it's Joss Whedon, so there's no limit to how obscure or nerdy it can be. But I realize it's most likely referencing movie creatures.

It's not completely unlikely:

http://thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wiki/Creeping_Shadow

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Reading about Kevin's gimmick in the novelization on the wiki is the creepiest for me so far. OTher than the dolls....

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Seeing This Is Spinal Tap again I just now figured out that the reason Nigel's guitar starts picking up police radio is because of the cord-free amp transmitter thingy he was showing off earlier.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Then this might be my finest nerdcomplishment! I knew this information would be useful for something.

Now, to sit and wait for the next thing I can compare to Doctor Who...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inzombiac posted:

I noticed that when I saw it in theaters and made a noise that was like "BWOAHAHA!" much to my friend's chagrin.
That guy is a really good actor and I wish he got more roles.

edit:
"KEVIN" sounds terrifying.

He was also a poop enthusiast in an episode of It's Always Sunny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone here ever see The Player?

Holy poo poo is that movie filled with subtle moments. The entire opening shot is like 10 minutes long with no cuts and at the end of it, the studio lot security guy starts bitching about how modern movies are all "cut, cut, cut." Then it cuts.

Later, when Griffen Mills brings June Gudmundsdottir to the party, you can overhear someone saying "I don't know who she is. Somebody's daughter or something." There so much great poo poo in this movie. I've seen it probably 10 times and I always pick up something new whenever I re-watch it, from a poster in the background to a cameo I hadn't recognized earlier.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world
I just want to thank this thread for making me watch Cabin in the Woods. My wife was cracking up at the betting pool board.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Cabin in the Woods is like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead in that it understands the dumb genre poo poo and simultaneously subverts and embraces it.

Also all three movies are loving great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fumaofthelake posted:

Cabin in the Woods is like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead in that it understands the dumb genre poo poo and simultaneously subverts and embraces it.

Also all three movies are loving great.

Hot Fuzz is particularly great because Timothy Dalton is such a roguish and dashing villain.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

KozmoNaut posted:

Hot Fuzz is particularly great because Timothy Dalton is such a roguish and dashing villain.

"I'm a slasher! I must be stopped!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Drafthouse played Shaun of the Dead on Tuesday and Hot Fuzz on Wednesday to celebrate The World's End coming out. We got there for Shaun an hour early and it was 90% full 30 minutes before showtime. Then I bought Hot Fuzz tickets that night because I figured it'd be even more popular than Shaun, plus the girl told me to get there real early cuz they expect a sell-out. So me, my wife and my niece got there 75 minutes early.

There was maybe 10 people in there during the movie. Still I had a great time, Hot Fuzz is such a good movie.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

oldpainless posted:

The Drafthouse played Shaun of the Dead on Tuesday and Hot Fuzz on Wednesday to celebrate The World's End coming out. We got there for Shaun an hour early and it was 90% full 30 minutes before showtime. Then I bought Hot Fuzz tickets that night because I figured it'd be even more popular than Shaun, plus the girl told me to get there real early cuz they expect a sell-out. So me, my wife and my niece got there 75 minutes early.

There was maybe 10 people in there during the movie. Still I had a great time, Hot Fuzz is such a good movie.

Theater here showed the entire trilogy last night. We went to it. It was filled to the brim. Ended up having to watch all 3 movies from the absolute front row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I must be the only person who thought The Cabin In The Woods had nothing novel or interesting to say about the genre at all. Redneck torture family, eh? eh? Sure are alot of genre films about those huh guys?