Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, we just sold out a 450 capacity theater in 30 seconds. Um....

It must be weird that you have probably over 10x more listeners now than if it were an actual broadcast to the town of Night Vale.

Congrats on the success! :toot:

Speaking of, I wonder what the actual population of Night Vale is. Though it would have to be an approximate population, since it seems like it fluctuates a bit on a daily basis, due to both deaths and quantum shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnaBanana
Oct 15, 2007
2007 Noob. Sorry. :(
Congrats!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
You've arrived, Maxnmona. Never underestimate the somewhat unfortunate power of Tumblr.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, we just sold out a 450 capacity theater in 30 seconds. Um....

Time to start writing the broadway play :getin:

morningfine
Dec 6, 2006
Thanks for the heads up about the timing the other day! I'm glad I asked. Even though I was gunning for Weird Scout tickets, I managed to snag two GA tickets in the three minutes they were available.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Added second show. Tickets on sale Thursday at noon: http://nightvaleoctlate.brownpapertickets.com/

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Y'all are doing a show in Greensboro, NC according to your twitter? Awwwww, I won't be back from abroad until next year. I won't get to see it. :(

Also, what the hell, Greensboro, NC?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Venue that is flying us out, putting us up, and paying us to do a show.

Find a venue like that in your town and we'll go there too.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I'm very excited for the Greensboro show! This area of NC is, every once in a while, awesome and weird. I hope I can convince my coworker not to cosplay when we go.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Added second show. Tickets on sale Thursday at noon: http://nightvaleoctlate.brownpapertickets.com/

Is it the same material as the first show?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

maxnmona posted:

If it's the venue I think it is (and I'm 99.98% certain), then you guys are in good hands. They're cool people.

Never thought I'd actually get to see Night Vale live in Greensboro, but here we are!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Is it the same material as the first show?

It'll be the exact same show, yeah.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

It'll be the exact same show, yeah.

Can we buy some pre-sale goon special tix? I always miss out on these buy nownownow ticket events.

:ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bo-Pepper posted:

Can we buy some pre-sale goon special tix? I always miss out on these buy nownownow ticket events.

:ohdear:

But the average goon takes up three seats.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This is a big loving deal!

That loving dog park!

THOUGHT CRIME.
:frogsiren:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I was (re)listening to Street Cleaning Day on my way home from work and now I really want to know what's happening with Wilson and Amber.

Also, Tamika Flynn. I hope she runs Night Vale someday.

BTW here are some decent tumblr blogs to follow/look at so you don't have to venture into the tag:

http://darkowlrecords.tumblr.com/
http://theshapefromgrovepark.tumblr.com/
http://fyeahnightvale.tumblr.com/

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was planning on buying tickets to that show :(

But I can't be too upset because I'm extremely happy that this took off the way it did. It's nice to see something this cool and original break out into the (internet, at least) mainstream.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Annakie posted:

I was (re)listening to Street Cleaning Day on my way home from work and now I really want to know what's happening with Wilson and Amber.

Also, Tamika Flynn. I hope she runs Night Vale someday.

BTW here are some decent tumblr blogs to follow/look at so you don't have to venture into the tag:

http://darkowlrecords.tumblr.com/
http://theshapefromgrovepark.tumblr.com/
http://fyeahnightvale.tumblr.com/
Followed.
When I listened to that part of Street Cleaning Day again, I just thought, "Wait, like the House characters?" Probably just a coincidence.

According to the Night Vale Twitter, the next episode will be called Dana.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 21, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
THere's a mistake in Zack's article about hte live show. It says it's a live performance of PYRAMID, rather than a new episode starring the musician who played in PYRAMID.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

THere's a mistake in Zack's article about hte live show. It says it's a live performance of PYRAMID, rather than a new episode starring the musician who played in PYRAMID.

Ah, that's a good point.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

maxnmona posted:

Greensboro's my home town- is it Geeksboro? I've only been there a couple times, since I don't live there anymore, but it seemed like an awesome addition to the city. I'll be promoting that show to everyone on Facebook who still lives there...

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

BiggerJ posted:

Corrected! Sorry about that folks.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Interview with Wired up today: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/night-vale-podcast-itunes/

Also an interview with (ugh) Buzzfeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/burning-night-vale-questions-answered-by-cecil-baldwin

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I assume that Cecil the VA did not write the answers to the Buzzfeed article. They were funny, by the way.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

I assume that Cecil the VA did not write the answers to the Buzzfeed article. They were funny, by the way.

No, as it says in the intro to the article, that's us (well, me) writing the answers.

Making that clear at the start was our condition for doing an interview like this, since I don't like putting words in the real Cecil's mouth.

And when the article first went up it loving said "11 Questions Answered by Cecil Baldwin" and claimed in the intro that the interview was with Cecil Baldwin talking in character.

Buzzfeed: Paragon of journalism.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I was just playing Star Trek Online and I encountered a player going by the name of Captain Cecil. The ship was the USS Night Vale.

This really has permeated everything. Night vale fandom is a thing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

maxnmona posted:

Daft Punk launched their last album in a random outback Australian town with a massive radio antenna. You guys would be even more appropriate.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Goddamn! Cecil's got a nice chest carpet on him.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Goddamn! Cecil's got a nice chest carpet on him.

If he has a purple tattoo over his heart I think my head will explode.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

From sheer awesomeness?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Flopsy posted:

From sheer awesomeness?

That and all of those tattoos people have been drawing Cecil with despite them not being canon. People on Tumblr do not know how memes work.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

That and all of those tattoos people have been drawing Cecil with despite them not being canon. People on Tumblr do not know how memes work.

I irrationally loathe this and their other attempts to make Cecil into a kawaii special snowflake. It just works so much better if he was ordinary--just like you and me!! :v: The lack of extraordinary comic book-type characters makes WTNV unique in it own way. [Sorry I think I've invested too much into the characters]

In other news, has anyone heard of this idea that the Apache Tracker is actually Slavic, and that he's wearing Native Slavic dress, not Native American dress? Cecil even mentions that he's Slavic. Initially, I took him to be a mocking of hipsters wearing Native American 'inspired' fashion, but that does put a twist on the character.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wedemeyer posted:

I irrationally loathe this and their other attempts to make Cecil into a kawaii special snowflake.

What makes you think an extensive body sleeve tattoo would make Cecil a special snowflake in Night Vale?

Maybe everyone has one, maybe it's the tasteful kind that can be covered by a long sleeve shirt, maybe it's so ubiquitous nobody even notices them as odd, maybe every April 15th you go to bed and you wake up with a new tattoo and a receipt.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!
Doesn't the fact that we have no idea what Cecil looks like ensure that no one can argue what's canon and what isn't? I'm digging a lot of the tattooed Cecils I've been seeing but I don't really have a set idea of his looks in my head.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

What the hell does that even mean?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The world would be a better place if everyone imagined Cecil just looking like Cecil Baldwin. :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NienNunb posted:

The world would be a better place if everyone imagined Cecil just looking like Cecil Baldwin. :allears:

That's what I'm doing! Kevin is also literally Kevin Free in my head.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

What the hell does that even mean?

On Tumblr ideas are spread around at a high rate in a vary short amount of time if they're liked. Somebody started drawing a blond Cecil with a third eye and tattoos, and it was a good drawing, so it went around, and then someone did another one, because the first one happened to be good, and a third person copied the second person, and so this one particular way of looking at Cecil quickly took over the fanart culture, and now you have a bunch of white, teenaged girls outraged that Cecil is not being drawn as a person of color because they don't understand how ideas subconsciously spread.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

maxnmona posted:

I'm so excited for Greensboro. I am an NCer who almost tried to buy a NYC ticket just to see you guys, but they sold out so quick! And then I hear you're randomly coming to a city mere HOURS away? Even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

dj_clawson posted:

On Tumblr ideas are spread around at a high rate in a vary short amount of time if they're liked. Somebody started drawing a blond Cecil with a third eye and tattoos, and it was a good drawing, so it went around, and then someone did another one, because the first one happened to be good, and a third person copied the second person, and so this one particular way of looking at Cecil quickly took over the fanart culture, and now you have a bunch of white, teenaged girls outraged that Cecil is not being drawn as a person of color because they don't understand how ideas subconsciously spread.

Well that's certainly a lot of assumptions and a distorted idea of things. Basically, people aren't saying that there's anything wrong with white Cecil, they're just talking about how they're frustrated that a character that could be any race is being portrayed as white because it's another instance of white being seen as "normal" or "default." But it started just as a few people venting on their personal blogs, but then those people got attacked by random people for saying that, and all sorts of "But the real Cecil Baldwin is white!" (but nobody is drawing the real Cecil Baldwin) and "But his voice sounds white!" (I hope I don't have to explain how this is racist) and this came right after there was a big argument over how the popular fanon for Carlos was white for a bit (but then people sorta realized how Carlos probably isn't white and hispanic Carlos became more popular) so there was already people who were upset about these characters being drawn from a "white default." So this resulted in a full out movement in response, like "how dare you attack me for venting about this, and using racist excuses like the idea that poc have to sound a certain way or like the VA's race matters when Kevin's VA is black but everyone draws him white and Kevin and Cecil are identical doppelgangers" and there was people making graphs of the different portrayals of Cecil(there's another graph in the commentary). The people who are mad, see it like this.

And I want to point out that those blogs I linked to are people of color, of various genders. At least as far as I know, some of them didn't have things like "half-asian" or "cherokee" right in their titles or descriptions; or selfies tagged "#me" I could look at to see.

Honestly, even if the popular fanon of Cecil wasn't white, I still don't like how he's basically just being portrayed as Aziraphale from Good Omens with a third eye and (sometimes) arm tattoos. This whole debate has awoken the creativity in a lot of the fanartists and there's a lot more variety of portrayal going on with him now.