Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's

200 points for never disturbing a guard
175 points for a non-lethal stealth takedown of a guard
150 points for a lethal stealth takedown of a guard
125 points for any kind of takedown after detection
50 points for evading a guard who detected you

+25 points for every one you do in a row (so 2 stealth non-lethal takedowns are worth 175 + 25 points each for a total of 400). Not disturbing 3 guards is worth 200 + 50 * 3 = 750.

Hope this scoring helps. Just remember that if you have to do stealth takedowns, do a bunch of them quickly to make them worth it.

Ah, the multplying is what I didn't know about. You get 25 more for every difficult increase as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Picked this up yesterday. Add GT: whatspeakyou85 and I'll hop in on some SvM.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

cat doter posted:

Ah, the multplying is what I didn't know about. You get 25 more for every difficult increase as well.

Oh all those values are for Realistic, then.

Perfectionist was a little too loco for me.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Got this game on the 360 so If anyone wants to play add my gt it's the same as my forum name I'll mainly be on this or saints row 4

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
This game is frustrating as poo poo, I don't think I've ever spent so much time trying to get a game working ever. Spent 5 hours downloading this last night, only to have it do nothing upon opening. I have to manually kill the process and then the Ubisoft after-game report shows up. Spent another 30 minutes downloading the patch, only to have that not work either. Then I saw that that copy of the patch (which was hosted on the ubisoft forums) is broken, and I need to download another version of it. That didn't work either, so I uninstalled the game and apparently now I have to re-download the entire thing. What the gently caress is up with Ubisoft? Is this a normal thing for them? Whole bunch of people on their message boards asking for some sort of advice or mod response and its just total radio silence over there too.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh all those values are for Realistic, then.

Perfectionist was a little too loco for me.

Not being able to refill ammo or use mark and execute is a pretty huge bummer, the only reason I was even able to do the first mission so well on that difficulty is because I know it really well by now.

kevin mung posted:

This game is frustrating as poo poo, I don't think I've ever spent so much time trying to get a game working ever. Spent 5 hours downloading this last night, only to have it do nothing upon opening. I have to manually kill the process and then the Ubisoft after-game report shows up. Spent another 30 minutes downloading the patch, only to have that not work either. Then I saw that that copy of the patch (which was hosted on the ubisoft forums) is broken, and I need to download another version of it. That didn't work either, so I uninstalled the game and apparently now I have to re-download the entire thing. What the gently caress is up with Ubisoft? Is this a normal thing for them? Whole bunch of people on their message boards asking for some sort of advice or mod response and its just total radio silence over there too.

As :filez:ey as this may sound, you're probably better off downloading some sort of crack since I'm pretty sure pirates have had Uplay cracked for quite a while now, and as far as I've read it's uplay that's causing the crashes/hanging.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 21, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
GMG isn't working for me right now so mind if I ask; does the GMG version come with a Steam code, or is there some other form of DRM it uses?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pierson posted:

GMG isn't working for me right now so mind if I ask; does the GMG version come with a Steam code, or is there some other form of DRM it uses?

No, it'll be a Uplay code.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Pierson posted:

It doesn't say it uses or requires steam, but it doesn't say it uses uplay either, which I'm pretty sure it does.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

cat doter posted:

It doesn't say it uses or requires steam, but it doesn't say it uses uplay either, which I'm pretty sure it does.

It very specifically states that it does.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I didn't spot that, I'm an idiot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm having to wait ages for anyone to join a game of MvS on PC. Is it my level/internet connection or is it just that dead?

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm having to wait ages for anyone to join a game of MvS on PC. Is it my level/internet connection or is it just that dead?

I've played about 10-15 games of 2v2 classic on PC and I haven't had to wait more than 30 seconds for the lobby to fill up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

kevin mung posted:

I can personally confirm nothing but horrendous experiences with uPlay. It's an utterly garbage platform. I say this as someone who enjoyed Conviction and the latest Ghost Recon and trudged through getting it to work so I could actually play the games (and I enjoyed both games!). However getting them to work is just an unbelievable hassle. uPlay is hands down the worst DRM, match-making "service" and update distribution platform I have ever used.

Admittedly I'm going to get Blacklist because I loved Conviction and the gameplay looks fun but I know with uPlay it'll be a pile of rear end to get working so I'm just going to wait until it's on sale. I seriously cannot say anything positive about any Ubisoft uPlay gaming experience other than "eventually, through troubleshooting I got it to work." As none of my games have worked properly from the get-go ever and have always required doing some weird fixes to get working.

On the plus side, it made me actually appreciate Origin as being not that bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, this is so loving dull :( I only played the first 2 missions, but ehhh. It's not hooking me at all. I absolutely loved Conviction from the get go, but nothing about this makes me want to play more so far. I honestly facepalmed when I heard "Fourth Echelon" introduced. The new characters seem totally expendable. It just seems like a dumb retcon from what I've played.

Though I probably should've anticipated that I wouldn't like this one, since I've only really loved every other game in the Splinter Cell series after the first one. I loved the first one, Chaos Theory and Conviction but really didn't care for Pandora Tomorrow or Double Agent at all.

Oh well, I'll just wait for the next one :v:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems to be pretty strict about router settings or firewalls or something. Had to use Hamachi to connect to my co-op partner. I haven't been able to find a fix. It's a bummer, PC gaming sux

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
have tried adding uplay and blacklist to windows firewall exceptions?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, this is so loving dull :( I only played the first 2 missions, but ehhh. It's not hooking me at all. I absolutely loved Conviction from the get go, but nothing about this makes me want to play more so far. I honestly facepalmed when I heard "Fourth Echelon" introduced. The new characters seem totally expendable. It just seems like a dumb retcon from what I've played.

Though I probably should've anticipated that I wouldn't like this one, since I've only really loved every other game in the Splinter Cell series after the first one. I loved the first one, Chaos Theory and Conviction but really didn't care for Pandora Tomorrow or Double Agent at all.

Oh well, I'll just wait for the next one :v:

I was expecting the mo-cap to add something to the game but it really doesn't. Sam Fisher still looks like he's floating throughout the world and this is especially evident when you're climbing around, there's nothing that looks like actual climbing, it's like you're just floating from ledge to ledge. It's really offputting. Especially since that's the reason we didn't get Ironside.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I ended up getting this for PC first and holy poo poo it's fun. The coop missions are a blast, haven't even tried spies vs mercs yet.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Xbox save got eaten tonight so be warned. At least I wasn't that far into the game. No idea why. Before it happened, I quit to the main menu and waited for the Saving prompt to go away before shutting down so I'm pretty certain it's not my fault.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was expecting the mo-cap to add something to the game but it really doesn't. Sam Fisher still looks like he's floating throughout the world and this is especially evident when you're climbing around, there's nothing that looks like actual climbing, it's like you're just floating from ledge to ledge. It's really offputting. Especially since that's the reason we didn't get Ironside.
The lack of Ironside is probably the worst part of this one for me. In the opening cutscene, Sam was wearing some kind of uniform with a hat on and I didn't even notice him, even after he spoke. Then some character referred to him as Sam, and I think I audibly said "Wait, which one is Sam?"

The replacement VA for Sam sounds nothing like Ironside so I can't take Sam seriously at all anymore.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

goonlisted.typefrag.com:8670
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlisted

Mumble server and steam group up and running for multiplayer shenanigans. Please add to OP.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 22, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Dogen posted:

have tried adding uplay and blacklist to windows firewall exceptions?

I tried temp-disabling my firewall altogether, no luck!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cat doter posted:

Not being able to refill ammo or use mark and execute is a pretty huge bummer, the only reason I was even able to do the first mission so well on that difficulty is because I know it really well by now.

He kind of reminds me of the original ghost recon voice actor (the one who briefs the missions) and I actually kind of like it with all its military soundingness. Not as good a voice as ironside at all but honestly I was never really playing spinter cell for the writing and having ironside deliver one liners wasn't all that important to me. I dunno, it still feels distinctly like a tom clancy game to me. And I'm saying it again, the svm is the most fun i've had in competitive multiplayer in a long time.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 22, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

goonlisted.typefrag.com:8670
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlisted

Mumble server and steam group up and running for multiplayer shenanigans. Please add to OP.

Please do. I don't want to play with pubbies.

E. More specifically, most matches thus far have been premades v. me and completely mute pubbies.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 22, 2013

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Parties and invites in general seem to be broken. None of us can connect to each other. Has anyone else had this issue?

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Got this game for free with my video card. I never played multiplayer in any of the others besides some co-op, so I'd like to see what that's about. Unfortunately the game doesn't launch and the thing going around about editing videoSettings.ini isn't applicable because I don't even have an Ubisoft folder, much less that ini file. :( e: plus my problem isn't exactly the same. The game "launches" but only as a very small footprint background program, and I don't get the "thanks for playing" screen until I force close through task manager, as opposed to it closing itself automatically and getting that message immediately.

versus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 22, 2013

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Blacklist right now, would love to play some SvM. UPlay name is unpurposed. Add me!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Tried (and exited) my first 4e side mission for Charlie tonight. Survive 20 waves of ever increasing enemies to complete? No thanks! Jesus, who thought that was a good idea of a mission to make. Even in co-op, I can't imagine this mission being anything other than a complete pain in the rear end to complete.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

God, the movement system here is so weird. If I am playing Spy and I sprint to a wall, I want to sprint to the wall. I do not want to also vault it. Nor do I want to continue to run, perhaps wanting to crouch again without having to tap the sprint key.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Protip: Side missions apparently disappear after you do a plot missions! Thanks for warning me Blacklist!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Naky posted:

Tried (and exited) my first 4e side mission for Charlie tonight. Survive 20 waves of ever increasing enemies to complete? No thanks! Jesus, who thought that was a good idea of a mission to make. Even in co-op, I can't imagine this mission being anything other than a complete pain in the rear end to complete.

Yeah, the 4E side missions kind of suck, which is disappointing because I like the main missions a lot. I keep having trouble with the Kobin ones. I take out like 9 of the guys, but a dude will sound the alarm just as i am KO him. Any advice?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

After playing for a few hours with Ethanol I have come to the conclusion that the multi-player is loving awesome and hilarious. I'm surprised more people aren't playing it. Classic SvM is just like Pandora tomorrow. Hopefully they'll come out with old maps sometime soon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Was in Classic, in the hospital level, running down the clock as a spy with point B. I was off in a corner at the end of the second floor, which gives you surprisingly good cover. They ran around the whole drat place until the hack was at 98%, at which point someone vaulted over the railing in front of me and I stabbed him in the gut.

You could almost hear his rage. I love this game :allears:

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012
Got into an SvM Classic game with a friend earlier. I was the more experienced of the two of us by way of I had played a round of it before and he hadn't, so we're walking around to one of the hack points as I tell him the less simple rules. Things like the cooldown we need to wait out once we kill the hacker and such.

We won the match, but I found out something while I was playing. My friend's nerves get shot as hell when he's playing a game mode where the opponent can kill you out of loving nowhere. It was to the point where it was actually slightly funny. He was doing things from hardly noticeable like missing most of his shots, to swinging around wildly when I died (at least we knew to stick together but I don't know if that helped his heart) to my personal favourite, when I was showing him how to place proximity mines.

I place one on the ground in front of the terminal as an example, and as he walks up to a doorway to place one, we get an alert that Terminal A is being hacked. So he doesn't place a mine on the ground. He throws a grenade and kills himself.

We plan on playing more eventually, because despite him almost pissing his goddamn pants he liked the gamemode, but we stopped for the night after the one game because he was jumpy even two minutes later after the game ended.

Numbnuts fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 22, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This game is a whole hell of a lot of fun; probably the best entry in the series thus far. Digging the different Ghost/Panther/Action techniques to beat each level, and sticky shock darts never get old, ever. The addition of a crossbow with all kind of Q-branch goodies as darts is also rad as poo poo. I rented it earlier tonight from Redbox (they only had the PS3 version) and I just got to the level where you've gotta break into the Iranian dude's safe house in South America.

I'm bummed out that good ol' Michael Ironside didn't come back as the voice of Sam Fisher, though. The guy they replaced him with sounds a bit too young for the character.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Partial Octopus posted:

Parties and invites in general seem to be broken. None of us can connect to each other. Has anyone else had this issue?

Partial Octopus posted:

After playing for a few hours with Ethanol I have come to the conclusion that the multi-player is loving awesome and hilarious. I'm surprised more people aren't playing it. Classic SvM is just like Pandora tomorrow. Hopefully they'll come out with old maps sometime soon.

Did you find some sort of solution? I can connect to folks I know using Hamachi but can't find anyone to play against.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

No fix as of yet. We've just been trying to join over and over again and eventually it works after 10 minutes or so. It's pretty random.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

Got a few questions before I purchase this someday..

1: Remember how the original SvM had it so that you could whisper something into the ears of your victim when you melee killed them or just grabbed them? That was a thing, right? Maybe it was just proximity. Is that in this game?
2: Does the SvM classic really feel like the original?
3: Does shooting out lights still work?
4: Is your spy's speed, and thus quietness, determined by your mousewheel?
5: How are the PC KB+M binds? I remember they absolutely sucked back in the old days and couldn't be rebound properly at all. I want to make sure that Ubi finally got past their awful PC porting with respect to Splinter Cell and ensure that I can bind things exactly how I want to instead of having to dance around stupid restrictions like keys can only be bound to one class or inability to bind all the mouse buttons or special keys like ' and ;. Yes, I have reasons for needing these binds.
6: Are there any traps on either side that cannot be shot/defused by the opposing team? For that matter, are there any traps that can be shot and thus rendered useless by the same team?
7: Exactly what kind of customization options and meta-game did they throw into classic SvM?

Was this too many questions... or has nobody gotten around to playing the game yet? Here, I'll trim it down a bit.
1: How flexible are the PC keybindings?

There, that's all I really care about anymore anyway. Videos of the gameplay look fun enough, I'd just like to ensure I don't have to trip over my own fingers to do what I want within the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
So is there any way to get the pc to reliably do the thing where he kills the guy he's grabbed after a pistol execute? He always seems to take them as a human shield momentarily then immediately kill them, which looks stupid and takes forever. I've seen the animations they showed in trailers like three times out of a thousand.

I also can't figure out how I would actually take that human shield on purpose if I wanted to without killing them...

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 22, 2013

• Locked thread