Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think he's going in a new direction, though! People complaining about how they miss his "old sound" don't make sense to me, nor do people defending the changes he's supposedly making. "Antibody" doesn't sound stylistically different to me from anything else, he's done, it's just a surprisingly weak song. I'm baffled as to why he decided to release it as a single, but I don't expect it to signal any kind of sea change going forward; I heard "Dead Ringer" from the new album and I liked it.

As somebody who pretty much discovered harsh electro through A Violent Emotion I've found all of the later Aesthetic Perfection stuff ridiculously week. Not only has he shredded his voice through bad screaming technique (sure, it ripped on the album, but he can't do it anymore so what's the use?) but none of the aggression and oppressive atmosphere is there in the new stuff - incidentally, I really like Necessary Response too and the majority of the new AP stuff would be far more at home on a new NR album.

His response to criticism is hilarious. Yes, I realise that it's his project which he puts his heart and soul into, but then explain that calmly and eloquently instead of trying to prove to everybody how far beyond criticism you are because you are an artiste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I do agree that lashing out at fans is probably not the best idea, but that's exactly what a real artist should feel like when someone whines about their new direction. Some people just manage to handle complaints in a classier way.

teethgrinder posted:

If Trent Reznor can cope with it (and apparently stay clean), I'm sure Daniel Graves can manage too.

It's lovely but comes with the territory.

Yeah, at least Trent Reznor doesn't get all lovely on your facebook if you complain about the new direction his album is tak

Edit: The original post

Twiin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 22, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

Yeah, at least Trent Reznor doesn't get all lovely on your facebook if you complain about the new direction his album is tak

Edit: The original post

It's interesting how this is completely hilarious whereas the AP dude's ranting is mostly uncomfortable.

edit: For some reason it makes me think of Trent, in all his hulking muscularity, typing that hunched over a tiny laptop

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 22, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe this question is too broad for the thread, but is it ever possible for a band to dodge criticism for evolving? I guess you can either lose fans because you changed, or lose fans because you didn't. On the other hand, I don't think Suicide Commando's changed his style in about 10 years and apparently people keep buying his stuff.

But in full disclosure, it's me, I'm the guy who hates it when a band that makes fun dance music disappears for awhile and then comes back with a more mature, thoughtful, serious (i.e. undanceable and boring) release. For example, I was really disappointed by Stromkern's Dead Letters EP.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Maybe this question is too broad for the thread, but is it ever possible for a band to dodge criticism for evolving? I guess you can either lose fans because you changed, or lose fans because you didn't. On the other hand, I don't think Suicide Commando's changed his style in about 10 years and apparently people keep buying his stuff.

But in full disclosure, it's me, I'm the guy who hates it when a band that makes fun dance music disappears for awhile and then comes back with a more mature, thoughtful, serious (i.e. undanceable and boring) release. For example, I was really disappointed by Stromkern's Dead Letters EP.

I guess not, unless all the fans are musicians themselves. I honestly think that trying your hand at expressing yourself artistically yourself, successfully or not, gives you so much more perspective on what art is and especially WHY it is like it is than just enjoying it. Of course, there's nothing wrong with just enjoying art, because not all people are creatively minded, but I just think they're missing out on a lot of really wonderful things.

Whenever you feel disappointed that a band has matured or changed direction, try thinking about it from their perspective. Would you want to make the same thing over and over again, forever? Obviously some people do (like the aforementioned Suicide Commando), but I'm 100% sure the majority of artists always want to get better, evolve and understand their craft better, and you absolutely can't do that if you stagnate. There is nothing worse than stagnation, because stagnation means you've lost your imagination and your will to improve at your chosen craft.

e: In my opinion, a true artist will never say "Welp, guess I'm good enough at everything now" and call it a day.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 22, 2013

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I have no problem with an artist evolving their sound. I loved Necessary Response and was pretty excited when he was talking about basically melding the two. His B-Side 'The Bitter Years' is possibly my favorite AP song. I just think that what he ended up releasing kind of sucks, not to mention the antics of him and his cronies on that cruise - it just kind of turned me off to him in general. That being said I know I'll still get his new album (like I do every Tori Amos album, although I know what to expect :butt: ).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's stuff like that is why I started avoiding interacting with musicians, trying to meet them, or really trying to talk to them at all.

I like musicians and all. But I think the impulse to get to know entertainers because they are entertainers is not a healthy one. If you're a musician or an entertainer of some sort, and I run into you at the bar or meet you outside the context of our ordinary relationship (where I give you money and you entertain me), then that's cool. But I'm not talking to *the entertainer* at that point. But I will deliberately avoid them usually.

I'd much rather put up a firewall between me and these people. And the "fans are idiots" thing is as much true for me as anyone else. Why would the musician care what I have to think about their music? I don't have any advice to give. If I don't like it, then I won't listen to them or go to the show.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 22, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So what actually happened on the cruise?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Beaten, but I'll ask too. There is no way you're getting out of this without telling us the whole story.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Some electro-industrial guys are quite engaging and good with their fans. Tom Shear specifically comes to mind on Facebook. A lot of his fans aren't keen on the modern stuff, but he doesn't give a poo poo, just releases what he wants, and doesn't get hostile with anyone.

Ashbury Heights is surprisingly great. He seems to have humbled significantly. On the other hand, he's now directly talking to fans rather than being conveyed by gossipy blog reports. He also isn't "always on" ... just pops on periodically when he wants some opinions or advice.

I'm pretty sure Imperative Reaction's Facebook is intended earnestly, but it comes across as a little bit corporate in delivery.

edit: Oh yeah, Jean-Marc from The Weathermen/Ghost & Writer is awesome too.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 22, 2013

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Halloween Jack posted:

So what actually happened on the cruise?

It was basic drunken douchebaggery (our group had an open bar card for the trip). Throwing beer bottles into the pool, caught pissing off the side of the boat. There were apparently altercations with the 'regular guests' and staff although I didn't hear any specifics. When the trip was over the agent sent out an email saying that Aesthetic Perfection has officially been banned from any further gothic cruises, which Daniel then posted as a badge of honor).

I wish I had some more info or a better story. Everyone was pretty loaded the majority of the time, but no one else seemed to have issues acting like somewhat responsible adults.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Tom Shear is a cool guy. I emailed him once when I was younger to ask him some questions that were probably pretty dumb but he still took the time to write a decent-length and polite response to some random kid. :3:

Too bad I don't have that hotmail account any more.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Tom Shear is a great example of someone who is engaging online. He also knows how to disagree with fans without insulting them, which is a surprisingly rare trait in this community.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Some electro-industrial guys are quite engaging and good with their fans.

The few times I've met Ogre from Skinny Puppy he's been amazingly nice and humble with his fans. Key can be a bit of a douche, but the other half of Puppy was remarkably cool.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is gonna get really lovely really quickly. Kind of like "Antibody."

I have to say I agree with what he is saying here, even if his last album was utterly awful. Whatever makes you happy, Mr. Graves :shrug:

The Great Depression was the song that pulled me into this stuff and I'll always love him for that. Maybe when he runs out of money and has to go back to accounting we'll see some raging again.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twiin posted:

Tom Shear is a great example of someone who is engaging online. He also knows how to disagree with fans without insulting them, which is a surprisingly rare trait in this community.
I've seen Assemblage 23 twice and both times were crazy amounts of fun. Maybe I'd like to meet that dude. He seemed to be really nice and with a really positive attitude, like almost unusually nice for a musician. I know that I'll keep going to his shows.

But I don't know if I'd go out of my way to meet him. In a sense you're paying people like him to watch them work, because it's entertaining. But I question how much we really know these people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 22, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Any professional artist should always be true to themselves, and not externalize themselves with peoples outside opinion on their art.

On the other hand, those same people spending money on the artists music is the reason they're not loading trucks at Home Depot for minimum wage.

A paradox.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Any professional artist should always be true to themselves, and not externalize themselves with peoples outside opinion on their art.

On the other hand, those same people spending money on the artists music is the reason they're not loading trucks at Home Depot for minimum wage.

A paradox.

I think a pretty good way to do it is to do your own thing music-wise, but then listen to your fans' ideas on poo poo like bonus material or concert setlists and stuff like that. Concerts are, after all, usually meant more for the fans than for the musicians.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

teethgrinder posted:

Some electro-industrial guys are quite engaging and good with their fans. Tom Shear specifically comes to mind on Facebook.
It's surprising how many are, and he pops out in my mind too. Plus, he posts hilarious trolling comments (like on the Amy's Bakery facebook implosion). He either posts too much or I run into his comments randomly way too often. I love his side thing (Nerve Filter), so I guess I'm part of the problem, a fan for his newer stuff ;)

I think it helps bring in new fans from outside the genres that the artist may be comfortable working in, and I take it as a positive sign when an artist/band both evolves and engages (not flames <- then you just have too much time on your hands) with fans. My musical tastes keep evolving, so why is it wrong for a band to shift direction over time? It gets a bit annoying once too many side projects get formed (whose material is much harder to track down).

It's interesting how this is completely hilarious whereas the AP dude's ranting is mostly uncomfortable
Both are pretty hilarious, but one just seems a bit mentally unstable :D Think it, don't post it. Or channel that energy somewhere else.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Noricae posted:

It gets a bit annoying once too many side projects get formed (whose material is much harder to track down).
i.e. Daniel Myer.

(But also seems like a cool guy, from what I can tell.)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Omi-Polari posted:

i.e. Daniel Myer.

(But also seems like a cool guy, from what I can tell.)

He is a super cool guy. I've never seen him (or Tom Shear) ever show anything but friendliness and respect to their fans.

(Unlike, say, Daniel Graves, who has only ever been lovely to me when we've talked online.)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Omi-Polari posted:

i.e. Daniel Myer.
He's exactly who I was thinking of. I kind of gave up on finding all his non-Architect (which is awesome, everything from Architect) side projects. In my world, Haujobb is the side project, and Architect is the main thing he needs to keep putting out material for.

I don't know who Aesthetic Perfection or Daniel Graves is/are (or until the last few pages), so they must not be good. :colbert: Proof: they disrespect Twiin.

edit: Oh geez, is the Project Pitchfork concert what PP's #1 fan in this thread bought tickets for this fall in Germany the one with Architect opening? *jealous

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 23, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hatelull posted:

The few times I've met Ogre from Skinny Puppy he's been amazingly nice and humble with his fans. Key can be a bit of a douche, but the other half of Puppy was remarkably cool.

Ogre's the nicest celebrity I've ever met, either as a fan or as someone I've worked with. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that experience.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Even if you don't like Caustic (but you should) his facebook account is consistently entertaining. Unlike Daniel Graves who seems like such a smug poo poo online that I had to unlike asethetic perfection. Also that dude from the facebook screencap was right, antibody is a dreadful song and rhyming body over and over in the chorus was lyric writing at it's shittiest.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Covenant is pretty great on Facebook as well. They're constantly posting stuff there, including interesting details about things like their production or touring, and they seem to answer nearly any and all questions fans ask them.

e: Stuff is my favorite word

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 24, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

edit: For some reason it makes me think of Trent, in all his hulking muscularity, typing that hunched over a tiny laptop

I imagined him writing out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DOING PREACHER CURLS HHHHHNGH"

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
So Hate Dept. put out a new album called New Ghost. It's pretty good.
http://hatedept.bandcamp.com/album/new-ghost-2

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

sethsez posted:

Ogre's the nicest celebrity I've ever met, either as a fan or as someone I've worked with. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that experience.

Completely agree with you there. I normally dread meeting musicians but when I went to just say hi and thank you he somehow managed to pull me to the side and talk music and politics for like 30 minutes. He's a super humble and positive guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SacrificialGoat posted:

So Hate Dept. put out a new album called New Ghost. It's pretty good.
http://hatedept.bandcamp.com/album/new-ghost-2
Wow, it's nice to see those guys coming around again.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I got curious about what ever happened to Dope Stars Inc., and I went looking.
It seems they were busy coming up with an album cover that really reflected where they were coming from, musically.

That was two years ago, though, so who knows what they've cooked up since then.

AgentKaz
Oct 26, 2012
They recently did a US tour, I saw them in May.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just listened to Get Down by Malhavoc ... I kind of unironically love it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

Just listened to Get Down by Malhavoc ... I kind of unironically love it.

I love Malhavoc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

HEY! Has anyone heard the Dos Dedos Mis Amigos reissue + lost album yet? It should have come out by now. I ordered it, but who knows when it'll cross the pond.

edit: oh, it's been "delayed" according to Cherry Red. Damnit!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wow, I've been listening to that very PWEI album lately and did not know a reissue was coming along with a lost album! Any word of the UK only remix LP getting put out again as well?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Ha, I've listened to that album about five times in the last fortnight and had no idea about the re issue either!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well I hope we're in for a treat... er.. feast.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

When's the lost album from? I always wished they did something else in the vein of Dos Dedos.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 30, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Directly after Dos Dedos Mis Amigos. Found at Nothing Records. Was recorded in a proper studio owned by PWEI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

teethgrinder posted:

Directly after Dos Dedos Mis Amigos. Found at Nothing Records. Was recorded in a proper studio owned by PWEI.

Holy cow. That's amazing. Looks like I'm going to have to make an order.