Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Sometimes I've been scratching my head over that command only to realise that I forgot to move the newly connected computer into the OU that has the WSUS GPO attached...
Those tend to highlight a need for more caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fenrisulfr posted:

It's supposed to. The fun is when it doesn't and trying to figure out why! When I first updated our WSUS to 2008 R2 I had 4 or 5 servers and 30-40 computers fail to get updates or even connect for a half dozen different reasons. The best one was probably where ~20 computers had the Automatic Updates service disabled. Still haven't figured out who did that or why. Good times.

I didn't know that the Windows Update website worked like that. I haven't used it since P2 was new, though, so that's not overly surprising. The next time I have an issue I'll have to try it out.

That is why you use group policy more effectively to ensure all the essential services are on and stay on. Even if these users get local admin, turning off the service will simply mean it will get turned back on again during a policy refresh. Some features will be totally grayed out even to other admins if group policy enabled for that feature.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Call came in to fix a backup. Windows Server Backup can't shrink the shadow copy size anymore, and it doesn't delete backups. I've formatted the disk and got the program to recognise it was a "fresh" disk, but it's still erroring. Does anyone have any ideas? The backup is smaller than the size of the disk by a good amount (720ish GB to a 1TB disk) - Not sure if the shadow copy portion is an issue.

I added the disk via its GUID, so removing it completely is a problem I think.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Fenrisulfr posted:

It's supposed to. The fun is when it doesn't and trying to figure out why! When I first updated our WSUS to 2008 R2 I had 4 or 5 servers and 30-40 computers fail to get updates or even connect for a half dozen different reasons. The best one was probably where ~20 computers had the Automatic Updates service disabled. Still haven't figured out who did that or why. Good times.

I didn't know that the Windows Update website worked like that. I haven't used it since P2 was new, though, so that's not overly surprising. The next time I have an issue I'll have to try it out.

Isn't there a way to force a check and installation of updates using VBscript? You should be able to force an update remotely.

EDIT: Here's one on MSDN. I think you can even run a script like this remotely, so you can push the command/script to all of the servers at once and just let them do their thing.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2013

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Sickening posted:

That is why you use group policy more effectively to ensure all the essential services are on and stay on. Even if these users get local admin, turning off the service will simply mean it will get turned back on again during a policy refresh. Some features will be totally grayed out even to other admins if group policy enabled for that feature.

Man I'd love to do stuff like that, but unfortunately my boss signed away our ability to manage our own GPOs just after I started. We can ask the company that now manages it to do it of course, but it's something like $150/hour for simple stuff (usually multiple hours because of testing and whatnot, of course), and like $300-500/hour for anything complex. Admittedly I also don't know GPO basically at all so I didn't know that was possible (and I now have no motivation to learn it except for my own edification), and my boss is usually pretty chill with costs less than a few thousand, but it still means I have to know what to ask for and get approval from the higher-ups before anything like this can happen.

Also, of course all of our users (and for a time, hundreds or thousands of other users also hosted by the aforementioned company) have local admin on all of our computers, including until recently our servers. I'm fairly sure it was either my co-worker or my boss that did it for some reason, but if they did neither can remember it/won't admit to it.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Sounder posted:

Isn't there a way to force a check and installation of updates using VBscript? You should be able to force an update remotely.

EDIT: Here's one on MSDN. I think you can even run a script like this remotely, so you can push the command/script to all of the servers at once and just let them do their thing.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

PowerShell required but why don't you have it installed anyway, if it's not installed? It's a windows update for 2003 I believe.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I just did this to a Dell GX280 and GX620 and will be delivering it to one of our sites in an hour. Win 7 32bit installed, 2gb of RAM. That's the status quo in Sirotan land.

:gonk::hf::gonk:
We aren't "allowed" to put Win 7 on anything lower than a 760. I've got 150 GX280s and 200 520s. With no refresh in sight. Now I've got a client app that will not run under XP so half of our agents can't troubleshoot specific customers. "Our other centers don't have this issue. You need to find out why they work." Uh, they're 100% Win7?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

For those of you having issues with Lync/Office 365, do you use Microsoft's servers for everything or run your own ADFS stuff for authentication? We do the latter and I haven't noticed any outages to Lync (or maybe it just hasn't affected the Asia-Pacific region).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fenrisulfr posted:

Man I'd love to do stuff like that, but unfortunately my boss signed away our ability to manage our own GPOs just after I started. We can ask the company that now manages it to do it of course, but it's something like $150/hour for simple stuff (usually multiple hours because of testing and whatnot, of course), and like $300-500/hour for anything complex. Admittedly I also don't know GPO basically at all so I didn't know that was possible (and I now have no motivation to learn it except for my own edification), and my boss is usually pretty chill with costs less than a few thousand, but it still means I have to know what to ask for and get approval from the higher-ups before anything like this can happen.

Also, of course all of our users (and for a time, hundreds or thousands of other users also hosted by the aforementioned company) have local admin on all of our computers, including until recently our servers. I'm fairly sure it was either my co-worker or my boss that did it for some reason, but if they did neither can remember it/won't admit to it.

Wait, it sounds like you're a Sysadmin. Why would the Sysadmins not be able to handle GPOS? That seems like a ridiculous slice to contract out.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait, it sounds like you're a Sysadmin. Why would the Sysadmins not be able to handle GPOS? That seems like a ridiculous slice to contract out.

Yeah, for a Windows sysadmin I would think that GPOs would be most of your day. It is like being a Linux sysadmin and not using bash.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Fenrisulfr posted:

this entire paragraph brought me out in a cold sweat

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

xThrasheRx posted:

No idea why the hell its standard to have those silly holes, almost all balconys have them here, potential draining from water or something?

Yes, exactly. If the water can't go over the side of the balcony, then it goes into your house. You really don't want that.

As for beer, all the beers I like are pretty expensive, though at least beer prices in general in Georgia are decent. Luckily I usually only drink a couple beers a week, so I ain't gonna go broke indulging in the good stuff. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Got babby's first "Do the necessary" today from a customer.

Sure it's not needful, but I'm counting it!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Two today!

Client sends in some logs. I guess they think letting us know the exact IPs of machines is a security risk, so they edited the logs:

quote:

srcip: 172.28.xx.xx srcport: 50618
dstip: 172.19.xx.xx dstport: 443

drat! How will I hack their machines now!?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

My job is kinda weird. I work for a small business, about a hundred users, so I'm a sysadmin, but I'm also a DBA, helpdesk, etc. Before I was hired, there was basically just 1 guy doing IT (his and now my boss would do stuff like reset passwords or whatever, but most of his time was spent doing manager-type things), so they had a contract with a 3rd-party IT company that handles our type of business pretty much exclusively. They also do product testing and higher-level support, as well as hosting and management of various services including Active Directory/Group Policy since quite a few of the companies they manage are too small to have any dedicated IT staff at all.

Since my coworker had neither the knowledge of nor the time to learn AD and GPOs more advanced than creating users and setting up WSUS and share mappings (don't get me wrong, the guy's decent at his job, but he's been doing the same job for 10 years and has no desire to advance or move on) and it didn't look like my boss was ever going to get permission to hire another person, he decided that they'd be better off with a managed domain.

Then he was told basically out of nowhere that he could hire someone, and as far as I know I was basically the only applicant (small town, small business IT for not a lot of pay) and I had no prior experience that wasn't messing around with my own stuff; by the time I was hired the ink was already drying on the contract and the fact that I'd have to learn AD and GPO to be useful (which I had already started doing and would have gladly taken responsibility for) wasn't enough to change the decision.

But yeah, we're kind of neutered Windows sysadmins here since that changeover. I can do pretty much whatever I want in AD within our OU, at least, but GPOs, Exchange, DNS, that's all third-party managed.

All in all despite the various :gonk: things about it, I do like the job. I'm learning a ton of stuff (not about GPO, obviously :v:) and I've already talked my boss into talking his bosses into paying for some certifications, starting with A+ and N+ and then probably some Microsoft ones (still hoping I can talk them into paying for a CCNA, despite us not using any Cisco gear other than our routers which I have no access to or control over, since, again, we pay that other company to take care of it).

edit:

Urit posted:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

PowerShell required but why don't you have it installed anyway, if it's not installed? It's a windows update for 2003 I believe.

Whoops, meant to comment on this: this is awesome, thanks! Dunno why this never turned up on any of my various searches. Yeah, I love Powershell, I've got it installed on every machine I do any kind of regular work on.

Fenrisulfr fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 22, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Boss wanted me to use Norton Ghost on our linux server today. I spent drat near two hours messing with it before I threw the disk out the window and used a partimage livecd and had a backup in less than a hour.

Thanks Norton for loving up your only good product! :smith:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The question is, why drink Bud when there are better domestic options like Sleeman's or Moosehead for about the same price?

(I live in Guelph, I may be biased on the Sleeman beer)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

The question is, why drink Bud when there are better domestic options like Sleeman's or Moosehead for about the same price?

(I live in Guelph, I may be biased on the Sleeman beer)

Those are awful too! Muskoka and Beau's seasonal beers are both way better.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Those are awful too! Muskoka and Beau's seasonal beers are both way better.

If you ever come to the Ottawa area, take the Beau's brewery tour because it's awesome.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We've been having circuit issues at a location for awhile now, and we've sent new equipment, reseated cables, changed the ports heading back to the demarc, changed cables going from the walljack to the NIU, no change. I even drove down with different equipment, no change. So we are finally to the point where people who work for ATT and are actually physically in the US have are involved. They have a engineer driving up from San Francisco to Boise to work on this now. I was on the phone with the guy arranging this, and he recommends sending new equipment and maybe opening a case with Juniper, as they are convinced its us. I remind him that we've sent all kinds of new equipment down and he was surprised, apparently the original tech didn't write that down. We could have shaved a good week or more off this if that had happened.
The big mystery to all this is why we can't have the LEC do something like drive over and hookup a tester. Its their circuit, and more importantly, they are actually local. Or why the T1 is regroomed or moved to another pair, so many mysteries.

I can't decide if that makes me want to drink, or dealing with video conference systems, or dealing with Java being poo poo.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Where the hell do you pay more than $3 for a beer :stonk:
Most bars I know sell crappy stuff for $2 per glass or so. Can give a six pack for less than that per bottle/can.

My bottled drink of choice is $10 for 6, but eh.

My bottled drink of choice is $9 for 4, but it's worth every penny.
I do have a $10 for 6 that I go to for an easy drinking beer though.
I'm still in my tasting phase though. I'm a little worried that Old Rasputin is going to spoil me, the stuff I used to drink just tastes like water now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

If you ever come to the Ottawa area, take the Beau's brewery tour because it's awesome.

I live there and have and yes! Beyond The Pale's stuff is pretty good too.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Helushune posted:

Pray you never have to try and RMA something to them. Several of our Asus laptops broke while under warranty and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to get them RMA'ed. Asus seems to go out of their way to prevent you from doing so. We gave up and I'm currently using one as a Windows 8 client and trying to get it to play nice with our group policy settings.

Speaking from a consumer standpoint -- I have a ASUS G73, had an issue with it not charging, went on the website, shipped it in, and less than 10 days later had it back all happy and fixed. (MB swap I am sure since they also fixed the SD card slot which was my fault.)

so I'd say it varies a bit.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I screwed up the ip addressing for all four of our microwaves. We are planning to use them to carry Ethernet and phones over the microwave link to our transmitter site. But this dummy put them on a different subnet than the one they are patched into. Changing two of the microwaves is no big deal, they are used for the live trucks. The other two are what we are using to send all three of our stations up to the transmitter. Resetting the ip requires a power cycle so that will knock us off air for up to 60 seconds.

Between that and my boss tasking me with a way to remotely monitor the ups statuses at the site without buying anything means my next week is going to be fun. All because of one ups not coming back up after a power hit, which our microwave reciever was plugged into, which was the only dish that could be pointed a certain way, which was toward a wildfire that the news was covering. Joy

diremonk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 22, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

diremonk posted:

I screwed up the ip addressing for all four of our microwaves.

Subject: I can't reheat my lunch.
Body: P1 THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

My bottled drink of choice is $9 for 4, but it's worth every penny.
I do have a $10 for 6 that I go to for an easy drinking beer though.
I'm still in my tasting phase though. I'm a little worried that Old Rasputin is going to spoil me, the stuff I used to drink just tastes like water now.

My goto is usually $7.99/6, is tasty, and comes in handy bottles that are great for reusing in homebrewing.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sab669 posted:

Where the hell do you pay more than $3 for a beer :stonk:

Not to turn this into a beer chat, but here we pay around $6 for a pint of beer :(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

drukqs posted:

Perhaps some of you will recall from the previous thread my discussion about a new work machine that the company approved for me.

Asus has lagged such major rear end shipping it...

What on earth compelled you to buy anything asus for business related? What monitor do they make that couldn't possibly be a cut-rate dell or HP monitor?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Call came in to fix a backup. Windows Server Backup can't shrink the shadow copy size anymore, and it doesn't delete backups. I've formatted the disk and got the program to recognise it was a "fresh" disk, but it's still erroring. Does anyone have any ideas? The backup is smaller than the size of the disk by a good amount (720ish GB to a 1TB disk) - Not sure if the shadow copy portion is an issue.

I added the disk via its GUID, so removing it completely is a problem I think.

Sorry to say the only fix for this I've ever had work reliably is to recreate the backup and migrate the drives over. Windows server backup just does it occasionally and I have no idea why. I suspect you need a drive about 33% larger then the volumes you're backing up but I have no proof of this.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

Not to turn this into a beer chat, but here we pay around $6 for a pint of beer :(

We should all just shut up before evobatman shows up and start wringing his hands over how much they pay in Norway. (Cheapest I've seen is ~€6 for a pint, good brew runs about €9)

fatman1683 posted:

You can't post the bag and not the kids' pictures.

As promised.

Princess' houses

An army truck carrying more troops to fight the monster

A tank about to fight the monster

The horrible 4-armed monster (that's going to eat all the soldiers)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
:3

So a couple here want to send mail, through Outlook, using their existing exchange accounts, address books and folders etc, from a subsidiary's domain (jane.smith@anotherexample.com) instead of the usual (jane.smith@example.com). Sounds fair enough and simple enough, right? Just add it to their SMTP addresses and let them change the From: address, right?

Pfft. Come on, this is Microsoft. No, it's going to be all HURR YOU CAN'T SEND FROM THIS ADDRESS IT'S NOT YOUR PRIMARY ADDRESS
There is no workaround that I can find (at least for Exchange 2003)
The only fudge, and it really is a fudge, would be to set up a dummy user with jane.smith@anotherexample.com as its primary email address, and then grant "Send As" permissions. Because it won't allow the same display name twice, she'd have to be called Jane S Smith or something like that (I hope she has a middle initial). Even then I'm pretty sure it'd say "sent by jane.smith@example.com on behalf of jane.smith@anotherexample.com" and the point here is that under no circumstances do they want example.com to be associated with anotherexample.com.
Goddammit, Microsoft. This should be simple.

E: Illustration added.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 22, 2013

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Inspector_71 posted:

Auto/bike shop software is the most retrograde, fly-by-night bullshit I ever dealt with at my old job, even if it comes from established manufacturers like Yamaha. Every single piece of it required some kind of combination of incredibly specific hardware configuration and installation order for the various unconnected modules on the CDs.

And forget ever getting support for them.

I used to work for a dealership chain. The parts catalogue software from one manufacturer required that you install a specific (and ancient) version of java, and then uninstall it, and install another specific version. I have no idea how/why, but the software would not run without doing that.

Another manufacturer had a catalogue that would only run if it was installed on a FAT16 drive (this was in 2002).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sweevo posted:

I used to work for a dealership chain. The parts catalogue software from one manufacturer required that you install a specific (and ancient) version of java, and then uninstall it, and install another specific version. I have no idea how/why, but the software would not run without doing that.

Another manufacturer had a catalogue that would only run if it was installed on a FAT16 drive (this was in 2002).

Probably because that old Java left behind some registry keys, drivers, binaries, whatever bloat they leave, and the software relies on it. Instead of just taking those repositories and giving you a package or installer for them, they have you do that.
At least that's my best guess.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Boss just told me to lie to a potential new customer. Because there's nothing like making a first impression by telling them something that they immediately will recognize as a lie.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

toe shoes posted:

One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

Doesn't twitter have two factor authentication now?

piss boner
May 17, 2003

psydude posted:

Doesn't twitter have two factor authentication now?

Only if you enable it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Use this as a good time to fire all social media people

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

piss boner posted:

Only if you enable it.

Ah yes, much in the same way that all cars have seatbelts and yet people still magically wind up being ejected through their windshield during collisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I would like to point out that there has not been any update or resolution on the puppy in the data center issue. This is unacceptable. If this were PI there would be many people expressing concern about Puppy Explosion Syndrome. Please do the needful.

• Locked thread