Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. Hence the bit where I say I prefer HR to the original but couldn't recall any music from HR if you put a gun to my head. The message is difficult to interpret, I know.

In the future we'll be able to put a gun IN your head :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hope you like orange soda!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. Hence the bit where I say I prefer HR to the original but couldn't recall any music from HR if you put a gun to my head. The message is difficult to interpret, I know.

Context is everything. Stating you're talking about the music and then changing to talking about the game as a whole without saying anything is drat confusing.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Context is everything. Stating you're talking about the music and then changing to talking about the game as a whole without saying anything is drat confusing.

Wasn't confusing to me. Maybe I'm augmented.

New video featuring Barrett bossfight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbXvSdJ6vA
My main beef at this point would be that the boss fights look more intelligent while Barrett seems just as dumb.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poppleganger posted:

Wasn't confusing to me. Maybe I'm augmented.

New video featuring Barrett bossfight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbXvSdJ6vA
My main beef at this point would be that the boss fights look more intelligent while Barrett seems just as dumb.

drat, that fight looks awesome now. Is the Dark Souls esque message feature gonna just be Wii, and I wonder if you can turn it off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
drat that looks awesome. Hopefully they make the AI smarter to match.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I want that on PC. :smith:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm certainly hopeful for an upcoming announce date now that they are releasing videos.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

omeg posted:

I want that on PC. :smith:

Isn't it coming to PC?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
At this point I would almost consider paying somebody to remove player head-bob and bullet tracers once the director's cut version is released. For me personally, now that the boss fights have been tweaked, they are the only elements in the entire game that prevent it from being the perfect version of what it could be.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut will cost under $60
( http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/22/4646908/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-less-than-60 )

The upcoming director's cut of Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex: Human Revolution won't be a full-price $60 retail game, a representative for publisher Square Enix told Joystiq.

"We haven't announced prices, but it won't be a full launch price," said a public relations manager for the company. "It won't be $60."

As Joystiq points out, that's in line with the listed prices at Amazon, Best Buy and GameStop — all of which have the Wii U version at $49.99, and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions at $29.99. Square Enix has yet to announce a release date; the PR rep said the Director's Cut will be released "soon."

Square Enix originally announced the Director's Cut on Wii U in March. During E3, the publisher said it would also be released on Xbox 360, PS3, Windows PC and Mac.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut includes the game's downloadable expansion, The Missing Link, as well as a new mission, "Tong's Rescue." The second-screen functionality that exists in the Director's Cut on the Wii U GamePad will be available on PS3 through PS Vita, and on Xbox 360 through SmartGlass. It will also be available on PC and Mac, although Square Enix has not yet confirmed how.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm not all that excited about the new boss fight. It's definitely an improvement, but I had expected the fights to be redesigned along the lines of the Missing Link; bosses that are no longer bullet-sponges, but with regular troops for support.

I'm also a bit disappointed that the crappy XP system seems to be unchanged, but that's not really unexpected.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm also a bit disappointed that the crappy XP system seems to be unchanged, but that's not really unexpected.
The augmentation system?

Redoing the boss fights in just about any capacity would be an improvement on this game. They are doable, but just so goddamn annoying and not suited to the gameplay that I haven't touched the game since I beat it on release.

That said, my biggest problem with this game is actually the last area being incredibly lame. They're not changing that, are they?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I hope they allow defeating the last boss without killing the human drones. That felt extremely out of place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

omeg posted:

I hope they allow defeating the last boss without killing the human drones. That felt extremely out of place.

Can't you already do that by shooting her through the glass with the laser?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm just disappointed they didn't change the energy cell regen mechanic. Everything else looks pretty good but it's kind of irritating they didn't give that another look.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

omeg posted:

You could hit them twice with a tranq dart actually. Also they were slightly more than drones I think. I really didn't like the implications of this scene.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Witchfinder General posted:

The augmentation system?

No, but that the XP rewards are so strongly weighed to a particular playstyle. Non-lethal takedowns give you a lot more XP than shooting enemies, (and bonus XP from Ghost and Smooth Operator), hacking gives you XP while finding passwords doesn't. The difference adds up to easily more than a dozen praxis points over the course of the game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

No, but that the XP rewards are so strongly weighed to a particular playstyle. Non-lethal takedowns give you a lot more XP than shooting enemies, (and bonus XP from Ghost and Smooth Operator), hacking gives you XP while finding passwords doesn't. The difference adds up to easily more than a dozen praxis points over the course of the game.

I agree with this. I've always thought every character should get the same amount of XP, given at specific physical locations throughout the game, like when you pass through a door that every character must pass through, the XP reward is triggered.

You can't sell your game as "all about choice choice choice!" and then give incentive to use one particular playstyle over every other, which is exactly what DX:HR does.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

It's not like you need a lot of XP when playing Rambo-style but yeah, XP rewards for stealth could be toned down.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

hacking gives you XP while finding passwords doesn't
Even when I had the codes I needed, I would still hack in. I'd even hack one door I'd have the code for, then go around to hack another entrance to the same room, rather than just walk in and open it from the inside. It was a totally out-of-character XP grab to follow the "this is the play style that gets rewarded" guidelines.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Ah, gotcha. I do remember that and I agree that rewarding one playstyle over another is dumb, but going the non-lethal route was oftentimes more difficult than just straight up killing guys, so I at least get the sentiment.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hogburto posted:

Even when I had the codes I needed, I would still hack in. I'd even hack one door I'd have the code for, then go around to hack another entrance to the same room, rather than just walk in and open it from the inside. It was a totally out-of-character XP grab to follow the "this is the play style that gets rewarded" guidelines.

I always had the rough idea that the finding of a password (being thorough) should have been rewarded with the XP - then when you access the device the password is automatically used and hacking for xp isn't an option. Same with takedown methods - lethal methods should have xp bonuses associated with how you do it to promote skillful lethal takedowns instead of just min-maxing xp with non-lethal. I prefer a mix, personally, and I hate being penalized for deciding it's an Assault Rifle moment rather than a stun-gun moment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Witchfinder General posted:

Ah, gotcha. I do remember that and I agree that rewarding one playstyle over another is dumb, but going the non-lethal route was oftentimes more difficult than just straight up killing guys, so I at least get the sentiment.

Except that lethal and non-lethal takedowns have exactly the same opportunity cost, and one of them is in almost all circumstances dramatically better than the other.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They should've made the non-lethal takedowns longer and louder. It seems like it would've been a good trade-off.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Isn't the trade off that non-lethal takedowns can be woken up by other enemies if found? (I realize that's a massive "if")

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's more of a bonus, since you can then just take out the guy who's bending over to wake up his bud, oblivious to the man with crabhands behind him.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think the lethal and non lethal takedowns should project the same loudness and give the same amount of xp.

If you spare somebody's life, there's a chance they can be woken up. If you kill them, they can't wake up but you have to live with the fact that you killed them. Whether you feel "bad" about preventing a collection of polygons from ever moving around on their own again is on you. I think metaphysical aspects of gameplay like that can be decent solutions to problems. Cold hard numbers aren't the only way to influence player decisions.

After all, that's how DX1 did it. And on top of that, "knocked out" NPCs couldn't even be woken up again and it seemed to work out just fine.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 22, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

muike posted:

That's more of a bonus, since you can then just take out the guy who's bending over to wake up his bud, oblivious to the man with crabhands behind him.
I kept on knocking out Alex Murphy for like 5 minutes straight and running into the vent or behind the desk before his friend in the same room would see me. Only got XP for him once, but he kept giving pistol ammunition (I assume from his thigh/holster).

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Lethal takedowns take longer to initiate, are so loud they alert everyone in the area, and give you less XP. There's zero gameplay reason to ever use them.

Once, you've non-lethally taken someone down, you can still put a silenced bullet in the head if you don't want to hide his body. But since enemies spotting a body meant you'd lose the Ghost XP bonus, you hide all the bodies anyway.

Really, they shouldn't have introduced the whole XP per enemy/hack mechanic in the first place. There was a reason the original Deus Ex didn't use it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreatGreen posted:

After all, that's how DX1 did it, and "knocked out" NPCs couldn't even be woken up again. It seemed to work out just fine there.

DX1 also had the quartermaster who would give or withhold equipment based on your body count. It's a pity the game stops caring about that after the one mission, it was good to have both a cold hard numbers and a moral shaming aspect to the choice.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've been away for awhile. Director's Cut looks promising (and I'd been meaning to make another run through the game) but I'd heard that there aren't any new DX games planned and that Thief is looking like a debacle waiting to happen. Is that still the case? Is DX a dead property? I was looking forward to the resuscitation of the IP after HR.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've been away for awhile. Director's Cut looks promising (and I'd been meaning to make another run through the game) but I'd heard that there aren't any new DX games planned and that Thief is looking like a debacle waiting to happen. Is that still the case? Is DX a dead property? I was looking forward to the resuscitation of the IP after HR.

We can't know for certain, but things aren't looking too promising.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

what a shame.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

[ Yeah, I kinda liked how DX1 didn't reward you either way for him you handled enemies or bots. Then again, I rarely played it non-lethally except where I was underarmed. Once I had the Dragons Tooth, silenced AR, Sniper Rifle at Master, and the auto shotgun, I took ZERO prisoners.

In DXHR I wasn't quite as compelled to become a Mass Murder Machine, for whatever reason. Could be that the characters all had more personality... I still killed a number of them with the silenced pistol, but I spared a decent number too.

haveblue posted:

DX1 also had the quartermaster who would give or withhold equipment based on your body count. It's a pity the game stops caring about that after the one mission, it was good to have both a cold hard numbers and a moral shaming aspect to the choice.

Like the orphan counter at the end of each mission in Alpha Protocol based on the number of enemies you killed? If anyone asks about surviving spouses, "I figured she'd die of grief".

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Man, I'm ready to quit for the night and on a whim I silently non-lethal takedown a sniper so I can headshot the rest of his crew.

And I get 50 experience points for it? I thought I was ahead of the game making sure I only got headshots and walking away with a seemingly cool 20.

They really want you to play stealth pacifist in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason it's so weighted toward stealth is mostly because the game's intended for you to play that way, but also because ghosting is definitely harder than going in guns blazing. If they gave you the same amount of EXP for both then there'd be no benefit at all to being stealthy besides saving cash on having to buy ammo for your six shotguns and exploding tracer bullet revolver. I do think it should be weighted toward stealth, just not as heavily as it currently is.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Anatharon posted:

We can't know for certain, but things aren't looking too promising.

What's the reason? I thought HR did quite well in sales.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It did sell well, but Square heaps unrealistic expectations upon their Western IPs and are disappointed when they don't reach COD-like sale levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

What's the reason? I thought HR did quite well in sales.

Square likes to set unrealistic sales targets for it's western arm so they can lay the blame for for the company's falling profits to someone other than the Japanese arm.

This year's Tomb Raider 'underperformed' when it was the biggest selling game in the franchise. While Final Fantasy XIV was such a loving disaster that they cancelled the game, after release and made it again with a new team.

• Locked thread