Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I dunno what your "poison build" was but Infernal actually does a lot of damage from just stacking up the DOT on the blast. The problem I've always had with it is that while the energy unlock for it pretty much gives you infinite energy, it's prone to latency, which makes it a lot less useful for spamming things that I'd want to spam (i.e. Defile!), as opposed to channels where it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Pretty much everything in this game is prone to latency though. Half the time when I block it does nothing simply because there's a half second delay between when I hit the button and when the server thinks I hit the button. And if I knock a guy a million miles into the air I can get another one almost fully charged before the server realises the guy is miles away and tells me he's out of range. And then the power goes off anyway because by the time it realised that he was actually back in range again.

Long story short, this game lags like poo poo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OneEightHundred posted:

I dunno what your "poison build" was but Infernal actually does a lot of damage from just stacking up the DOT on the blast. The problem I've always had with it is that while the energy unlock for it pretty much gives you infinite energy, it's prone to latency, which makes it a lot less useful for spamming things that I'd want to spam (i.e. Defile!), as opposed to channels where it works great.

Infernal looks like a great set, just the thing with fire snake and trying to set up a massive Epidemic mordots just seemed a bit too busy for me, but then again the build I went with (offensive sorcery) isn't all that good or efficient or terribly fun either. Plus it's basically a gimped version of a proper support sorcery build. I also don't think I like the Pestilence offensive passive, if I do that set I'd probably be happier with Fire Form.

PS TK blade is rad as poo poo

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 18, 2013

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Actually, how do Single/Dual Blades hold up? I've been fooling around with an Infernal build, but thematically, I think I want to go all Prince of Persia.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Moreau posted:

Actually, how do Single/Dual Blades hold up? I've been fooling around with an Infernal build, but thematically, I think I want to go all Prince of Persia.

Dual Blades is really really good. I've got a level 40 Unleashed (Dual Blades with some useless force powers and the amazing force block archetype, one of the best free archetypes available) and he shits out a ton of damage, and can tank for a few seconds. Just make sure to get Bountiful Chi Resurgence (its sidegrade perk makes you heal every time you dodge while it's up) and Eye of the Storm (amazing aoe damage/shield maintain that decreases in damage as it goes on, but increases its shield), after those you can just take whatever fits your dude, all the skills in that set are great.

I've less experience with Single Blade, but from what I remember it's a little iffy to begin with, but by the end is just as good as any other non-fighting claws martial arts set. A significant amount of its powers revolve around applying bleed stacks, then expending them to deal significant damage.

Additionally, unless it's been nerfed, Night Warrior is a really really really good fight starter passive, although I'm not sure how good it is compared to the usual passives in a long fight, and the dodge bonus from them might be better suited for Bountiful Chi Resurgence if you get that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Single blade still has a block too, doesn't it? From a thematic point of view, being able to block an attack from some guy shooting a gatling gun at you is badass.:black101:

Alternatively, blocking an explosion with any martial arts skill is equally hilarious when you think about how it works. Or just about any of the other over the top attacks the game can pull off. Like blocking someone throwing a giant truck at you, or cutting through an attempt by a player to smite you with heavenly power. :black101:

Either way, they're both decent choices for different reasons. Pretty sure dual blades is still AOE DPS, while single blade trades the AOE for more survivability and some extra status effects.

Infernal is also pretty amazing. When I last played two or so months ago I was ripping poo poo apart in Alerts like I was a max level character at only level 20 or so. It's especially great if you take a freeform AT since you can get a bunch of skills that heal you and do insane damage at the same time, essentially turning you into a DPSing juggernaut of a tank.

quote:

Pretty much everything in this game is prone to latency though. Half the time when I block it does nothing simply because there's a half second delay between when I hit the button and when the server thinks I hit the button. And if I knock a guy a million miles into the air I can get another one almost fully charged before the server realises the guy is miles away and tells me he's out of range. And then the power goes off anyway because by the time it realised that he was actually back in range again.

Pretty sure that's not latency, but the game being wonky. In the case of knock-ups, the game sometimes seems to hang the mob in place for half a second and do some sort of calculation before moving them back.

This was Cryptic's first run at a new engine, so I imagine stuff like that is a bit prevalent. The only time I hit bad lag at all is when they're running a major event like Blood Moon. And that's because there's about 500 heroes and 5000 zombies duking it out during a zombie apocalypse in Millenium City.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 18, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Line of sight makes a lot of powers appear to work, but actually fail (lunges are really bad about this).

Anyone wants to do some rad poo poo today let me know, @Kaballah or speak up on SuperGoon.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

General Maximus posted:

Pretty much everything in this game is prone to latency though.
Yeah, but my point is that the unlock being slow to trigger will actually prevent you from casting until it resolves, not just the usual taking a while for the attack to register, which makes it a lot less useful at what it's supposed to do in the first place (keeping you from losing casts to energy depletion).

Most unlocks trigger the majority of their energy gains when you're not at risk of running out so it doesn't matter as much.

Moreau posted:

Single Blade does absolutely ridiculous single-target damage, but as I said earlier, Shred with an Enraged source builds bleeds to pop Reaper's Embrace quite a bit faster than the SB combo, with the added bonus of the faster stacking making it less likely that stacks will fall off. Dragon's Bite is also more expensive than Dragon's Wrath for less damage.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 18, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seeing as there's a bit more activity in this thread today/yesterday, I'd like to point out to any new players that you can unlock both the Viking Costume Set and Two-Handed Weapon Archetype here.

You can also get 60 day cards from amazon for far cheaper than the equivalent through the game/website. So long as you're fine with not supporting Perfect World (YOU JERK).

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Single Blade does absolutely ridiculous single-target damage, but as I said earlier, Shred with an Enraged source builds bleeds to pop Reaper's Embrace quite a bit faster than the SB combo, with the added bonus of the faster stacking making it less likely that stacks will fall off. Dragon's Bite is also more expensive than Dragon's Wrath for less damage.

It seems like the only proper solution is to create a secondary toon for Bestial! I'll go with Single Blade for my toon, I like the sound of it. Now to see if I can put together a build to solo Andrith! Ha ha, no :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why don't I ever see anybody playing TK Blades? What is the secret lovely thing that I must be missing because the set is rad as hell?

I tried to do a Nemesis Confrontation with a couple of other goons earlier and uh, I walked out the exit right after getting out of jail. That was pretty irritating that you can still do that without any confirmation dialog -- you'd think after three years they'd do something about that -- but on the other hand COH had the same things going on at the end too with several years head start.

Overall I'm having a ball with the current state the game is in, it's pretty darn fun to be a superhero again!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain and Bluhman and I punched all the dicks until the wee hours of the morning and Cuch finally got his first CO character to 40. I also finished leveling my TK blades character (great fun) and am probably gonna roll with this for a more final build (currently I have 4 junk powers):

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J000mUB42iK3bhy

Name: Kushiel

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Glacier
Level 6: Covert Ops Training
Level 9: Martial Training
Level 12: Sniper Training
Level 15: Survival Training
Level 18: Field Ops Training
Level 21: Acrobat

Powers:
Level 1: Ego Blade
Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
Level 6: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
Level 11: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3, Id Blades)
Level 14: Ego Blade Breach (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
Level 20: Ego Reverberation
Level 23: Ego Blade Dash (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 26: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Telekinetic Reinforcement)
Level 29: Masterful Dodge
Level 32: Unbreakable
Level 35: Telekinetic Eruption
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I'm very surprised and truth be told, somewhat disappointed just how drastically the modern itemization amps up character toughness but oh well, that's how the game is right now so I might as well build for it (Fortified Gear, Best Defense stacked twice). I'd like to fit some kind of ranged AOE in but I don't really have any room.

e: oh why not, crippling challenge on the lunge
e2: well TK eruption is pretty awesome so how about that instead of ego surge

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 20, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Here's another try at my sorcery support build, the first version of which wasn't really very good offensively OR defensively and while I could heal a ton, that was basically all I could do. Taking and slotting both Inertial Dampening Field and Compassion; and Aura of Radiant Protection and Primal Mastery. I went with the Sorcery block because dammit it looks loving awesome. Main source of damage is Skarn's Bane and storm sigils.

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...5030nGO3Svt2LvS

Name: Kaballah

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Radiant
Level 6: Jack of All Trades
Level 9: Discipline Training
Level 12: Sniper Training
Level 15: Command Training
Level 18: Survival Training
Level 21: Covert Ops Training

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts (Wizard's Discretion)
Level 1: Compassion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Pillar of Poz
Level 8: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3, Runic Glow)
Level 11: Sigils of the Primal Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
Level 23: Overdrive
Level 26: Celestial Conduit (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Rebirth
Level 35: Divine Renewal
Level 38: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Fire Flight
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Presence: Repurpose (2/3)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Sentry: Reinforce (2/2)
Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

I have really inferior gear but that's fixable.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Flesh Forge posted:

Cuchulain and Bluhman and I punched all the dicks until the wee hours of the morning and Cuch finally got his first CO character to 40. I also finished leveling my TK blades character (great fun) and am probably gonna roll with this for a more final build (currently I have 4 junk powers):

I'm very surprised and truth be told, somewhat disappointed just how drastically the modern itemization amps up character toughness but oh well, that's how the game is right now so I might as well build for it (Fortified Gear, Best Defense stacked twice). I'd like to fit some kind of ranged AOE in but I don't really have any room.

e: oh why not, crippling challenge on the lunge
e2: well TK eruption is pretty awesome so how about that instead of ego surge

HONK HONK

Try this, maybe. Con over Dex for better tankiness, more Offense/Defense, bonus damage to Ego Weaponry means more healing and more damage The Force Shield offers better protection from damage while returning ridiculous amounts of energy, the BAMF lunge comes with the fear debuff and looks cool, Enhanced Form is a great buff, blah blah blah we'll talk about it in detail in game.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 20, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Flesh Forge posted:

Half right. It's less defense-boosting item specs and more gearing and building around the fact that defense gear can give you dodge. A huge portion of my highly-geared characters have dodge levels around 30-40% and pair it with BCR, the magical and wonderful heal that restores health to you whenever you dodge.

Here's a quick look at the builds I used in those teams I had with you.

Avalon - Bizarre support-tank-thing. He will heal allies by attempting holds on targets, which also helps reduce their defense and cause his lightning bolts to do much higher damage.

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...9040nI01JTo04IM

Name: Avalon

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Hero
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Coordinated
Level 12: Finesse
Level 15: Healthy Mind
Level 18: Shrug It Off
Level 21: Diplomatic

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
Level 1: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Imbue With Power)
Level 8: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 20: Sonic Device (Deafening Dissolution)
Level 23: Concentration
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 35: Invocation of Storm Calling (Rank 2, Electrical Storm)
Level 38: Electrocute (Superconductor)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Mystic Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (1/2)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (2/3)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Copper Hawk - Ranged damage with force attacks. It's important to gear this one with some Endurance+ items, but it has ample weaponry that allows it to fight with low energy reserves.

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J000mTO438W011b

Name: Copper Hawk

Super Stats:
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Marksman
Level 6: Coordinated
Level 9: Finesse
Level 12: Diplomatic
Level 18: Survival Training
Level 21: Sniper Training

Powers:
Level 1: Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)
Level 1: Gust (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 8: Concentration
Level 11: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 32: Force Geyser (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 38: Implosion Engine

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)

And finally Megadrive: Power Armor build that might seem very counterintuitive. The way to gear this build is to pour everything into secondaries - the base endurance boost, alongside energy unlock and the ability to fire energy builder while using machine gun and missiles, means this build puts up pretty impressive damage while keeping energy reserves up. Combined with high passive defenses from block bonuses and passive, and this is a fairly solid and effective AoE nuker.

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...I033BU93V762Jm6

Name: Megadrive

Super Stats:
Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Invincible
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Coordinated
Level 12: Accurate
Level 15: Healthy Mind
Level 18: Boundless Reserves
Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
Level 1: Wrist Bolter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 1: Concentration
Level 6: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds, Infrared Guidance System)
Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Energy Shield (Phalanx Defense System)
Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 26: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Masterful Dodge
Level 32: Lock N Load
Level 35: Implosion Engine
Level 38: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2)
Level 35: Energy Slide (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Endurance: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Endurance: Kickback (2/2)
Endurance: Power Overwhelming (3/3)
Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Endurance Mastery (1/1)
You're probably noticing the pattern of self-heals. :v:

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 20, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, out of combined reasons of boredom, missing the crazy people and one of my core characters from CoH, and TSW getting a bit stale, I'm reinstalling this game. My intention is playing a 'Randomizer' build, where every power is selected by random number generator. Two theoretical questions for people here:

1. How far should it go? I already figure all powers and super stats, but should specializations and attributes join that as well?
2. What limitations should I put on it, if any? My main worry is that I could end up with more passives than I can possibly use.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you want a RNG build that has a chance of being not completely rear end then you should probably limit it to taking exactly one toggle, one passive, and not let it pick unlocks/passives/toggles that none of your skills actually trigger. I mean, you'll still be fighting an uphill battle, but having a passive and toggle that actually work are about 2/3 of your usefulness.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Okay, out of combined reasons of boredom, missing the crazy people and one of my core characters from CoH, and TSW getting a bit stale, I'm reinstalling this game. My intention is playing a 'Randomizer' build, where every power is selected by random number generator. Two theoretical questions for people here:

1. How far should it go? I already figure all powers and super stats, but should specializations and attributes join that as well?
2. What limitations should I put on it, if any? My main worry is that I could end up with more passives than I can possibly use.

1. How badly do you want to mess your build up? Even just picking your powers by random can end up really bad, since a lot of the passive and power components are fairly tightly tied together.
2. There's quite a few ways you could handle it: You could limit your build to a certain number of passives, toggles, and blocks (say, 2 each) and after it's satisfied, they're left out of the power selection. On the other hand, you could structure it further - say, like, when you hit level 11, you randomly select a passive, 14 you select a random toggle, and 20 you select a random block.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Someone halp I am bad at video games

I pretty much wanted to make a guy who used Sword Cyclone all the time because it's hilarious, then I remembered how awesome Reaper's Embrace was. Then I Remembered Massacre. Help. :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Just popping in to say, my build seems to be really awesome at team buffing both defensively and offensively. Compassion probably is not going to get used much unless the team really just does not need defense at all.

Buffing little people into tiny gods

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cleretic posted:

You should randomize the first few power picks within types of powers. One energy builder, one passive, one block, one energy unlock. You need those. And then just go nuts from there. I think you should make sure you don't double up on energy builders/passives/blocks/etc and just remove those from your random pool. Keep it to 'normal' powers. And if you take something that would operate in a manner mutually exclusive to something else(like a form toggle), then you should remove other powers it would conflict with from the pool. For the sake of your own sanity.

But specializations and attributes you should probably let yourself control, if only to give the build some sort of stability and maybe fix some of it's issues via those.

Oh and don't forget to randomize your travel power.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So far on the 'RNG build' front, I've gotten to level 8. Not a big start, but at least it is one.

The exact rules I went with were:
-One builder (I don't think you can pick another anyway), one passive, one form toggle, one shield, all at the levels where ATs get them, just to ensure some base utility. I will probably also permit one tier 4 power when I get to that. Everything else is picked completely at random.
-Attributes are freely chosen, as are specializations.
-Superstats selected randomly pre-creation, characteristics can be chosen freely according to those.
-I can only re-select a power if the RNG pulls up a power that I literally cannot make use of. Example being something like Thermal Recovery without Fire powers, or Overdrive without Power Armor.

And the results so far:
Superstats are Dexterity, Ego and Presence. Not the best stats, but they're usable. Would make a good crit healer if I could actually choose powers.
Travel power is flight.
Powers are currently Electric Bolt, Stone Shot, Electic Sheath, and Electric Form. So I'm essentially a Blaster from CoH.

Something I didn't predict is that the way powers unlock mean that early-on, chance is heavily skewed towards powersets I already have stuff in. Because of the Electric builder and Stone Shot, I had a higher chance to get Electricity or Earth powers. And when I scored Electric Sheath from that, I wound up with an even higher chance to get Electric powers. I'm predicting it'll spread out later on when Electricity stops getting as many powers to choose from.

Looking good so far, though.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 20, 2013

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
You might want to change your table around to group your Energy Unlocks together, and pick one freely come selection.

Overdrive is a great unlock, though, and not at all limited to Power Armor alone. It triggers off any maintained power. Running it on my main support, where Skarn's Bane is her bread and butter, and on my PbAOE-centric tank: Hurricane up to half charge, lather, rinse, repeat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So far on the 'RNG build' front, I've gotten to level 8. Not a big start, but at least it is one.

The exact rules I went with were:
-One builder (I don't think you can pick another anyway), one passive, one form toggle, one shield, all at the levels where ATs get them, just to ensure some base utility. I will probably also permit one tier 4 power when I get to that. Everything else is picked completely at random.

There's actually good reasons to have more than one form - specifically Inertial Dampening Field, which is quite good. It reduces damage by a flat # of points, unlike resistance which reduces the remaining damage (after damage reduction) by a percentage. I know you're on the path of randomness but just FYI. And yeah picking a random energy unlock will probably end up being completely inapplicable, they're very specific to their conditions.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The only exception to that is Molecular Self Assembly. Seriously. Every build I posted back up there uses it, and so many builds still use abilities with recharges.

I usually stick with one toggle form myself - it makes combat a bit simpler, since it becomes all about keeping stacks up and moving from battle to battle, rather than selecting a form for each battle to come, when it usually just ends up coming down to not dying before the enemy dies. The other thing is that it leaves room for other abilities that can stack and make your build way more effective in practice. For example, multiple self-heals or active defenses.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

One thing I forgot to mention about Bestial/Blade, is that one of the reasons it vomits so much damage is because of Setup. It basically makes Reaper's Embrace hit 20% harder, so when you make a spec around using Reaper's Embrace after a combo as frequently as possible, it's ridiculous.

Flesh Forge posted:

Just popping in to say, my build seems to be really awesome at team buffing both defensively and offensively. Compassion probably is not going to get used much unless the team really just does not need defense at all.

Buffing little people into tiny gods
If you want to keep Compassion permanently maxed out then just take Sentinel Aura. Doing that will also give you infinite energy because compassion gives you energy each time it triggers.

If you really want a support build, I've messed around with just about every support skill and my take is pretty much:
- Aura of Primal Majesty, period, stack presence and it will give your team a ton of stats, including pretty much unlimited energy. It's basically Speed Boost Lite. (RIP Speed Boost)
- Mindful Reinforcement is a must-get IMO because it's never wasted and, unlike the Force shield, hits instantly and has a very short delay before you can do things again.
- Sentinel Mastery with Dark Blast and Psychotic Break is really loving good. It's a percentage max health heal on hit to your entire team, it scales with your healing (I was getting ~6%), it triggers even if the target is stun immune, the DOT will make it heal you, and the healing is sourced on the people getting healed so you don't get aggro.
- Consider getting Miniaturization Drive.

And yes, always take Rebirth and an actual heal (i.e. not just Mindful Reinforcement) or Gravitar will wreck your poo poo.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 21, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good lord Poison Infernal is nuts.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

Good lord Poison Infernal is nuts.

The best thing about Poison is that it's an Elemental damagr type. Anyone running Fire/Inferno and has Fire Snake can rack up the -damage resistance fast and hard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Levels 1-20 in one sitting, Poison plays like a jet! Gonna go puke now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Level 11 on random build now. I randomly drew Form of the Tempest.

Guys, something's wrong, I think the RNG build might be accidentally cobbling together something good. Not great, of course, but good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hey they're adding new content, a new alert type:
http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=963131

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, that sort of 3-stage alerts stuff has been going on for a while now.

Infernal and Bestial are nuts - they pile on DoT effects and take liberal advantage of them to deal spike damage. There's also Supernatural Power, which pretty much ensures that you never run out of energy when using this set, especially if you have high Recovery or use nothing but maintains.

Kind of ties back into what I mentioned back above - while MSA works for any build type, it's far from the most effective for every build.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

If you really want a support build, I've messed around with just about every support skill and my take is pretty much:
- Aura of Primal Majesty, period, stack presence and it will give your team a ton of stats, including pretty much unlimited energy. It's basically Speed Boost Lite. (RIP Speed Boost)
- Mindful Reinforcement is a must-get IMO because it's never wasted and, unlike the Force shield, hits instantly and has a very short delay before you can do things again.
- Sentinel Mastery with Dark Blast and Psychotic Break is really loving good. It's a percentage max health heal on hit to your entire team, it scales with your healing (I was getting ~6%), it triggers even if the target is stun immune, the DOT will make it heal you, and the healing is sourced on the people getting healed so you don't get aggro.
- Consider getting Miniaturization Drive.

And yes, always take Rebirth and an actual heal (i.e. not just Mindful Reinforcement) or Gravitar will wreck your poo poo.

This is all great info, but I'm gonna leave my current sorcery build alone because I'm pretty drat happy with how she works. I already knew the stat aura was the most powerful offense option but I want to leave the resist aura and Inertial Dampening Field in, for those occasions when there's just not enough tank on the team. I'm also not all that good at proper HEAL NOW gameplay so I'd just as soon stick with preventative measures. (e: I do have Conduit though) There isn't really anything else in that build that I want to drop - possibly Compassion, I don't really need it at all but it's a pretty nice toggle. I depend very heavily on Circle of Primal Dominion for the KB resist - 480% KB resist is pretty hard to let go of, KB is by far the biggest problem for me when I play support. I don't have any energy problems with my current gear except after a full run of Skarn's Bane when I'm already low, and one EB hit brings me back to almost full again so I don't really get a lot of benefit from the energy payback from Compassion.

I'll be making another support though, and will try Mindful Reinforcement for sure.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Flesh Forge posted:

Hey they're adding new content, a new alert type:
http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=963131

Wait, so this Fatal Error thing I saw off it he corner of my perception isn't a new series like Aftershock or Whiteout, it's just a temporary thing?

Suddenly, I don't give a huge amount of a gently caress.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I love the Alert idea in theory: quick little group content that's ideal for PUGs and leveling alts and such. But in practice it's supposed to be a supplemental sort of thing, not a main focus, and it seems like Cryptic's just been using it as an excuse to spin their wheels for the past year or so. Adding "new content" that's short and temporary in lieu of actual big additions. Ah well.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Wait, so this Fatal Error thing I saw off it he corner of my perception isn't a new series like Aftershock or Whiteout, it's just a temporary thing?

Suddenly, I don't give a huge amount of a gently caress.

Actually, allegedly, some part of it isn't going to be temporary, based on past feedback (aka distaste) over the last 2 or 3 things they did being temporary (a lemurian invasion consisting of a monster hunt, a single-map mission, and a vehicle alerts, and a malvan 'storyline' consisting of a a sky race and the arena thing that's going on right now. Nighthawk also counts, though that was much further back).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The funny thing is, it probably takes an absolutely miniscule amount of effort to make this permanent content, and it would be an objectively good choice wit no downsides.

But they didn't do it, because ???.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
The previous events (Nighthawk, lemurian invasion, forum malvanum) all involved outdoor stuff. This is a bad thing because according to the one guy who actually posts in the forums, their engine is set up such that it has a single slot, as such, for outdoor events. So they can have Nighthawk OR Lemurians OR Malvans active at any time, but not more than one. And that's before considering seasonal stuff like the anniversary event or winter event that also have to exist in that one single slot. Then we come to fatal error and suddenly it's going to be sticking around afterward. Notice the one thing it distinctly lacks compared to other past events? Anything outdoors. That's why this one can stay.

Long story short, the CO engine is just as massive a pile of hacks and poorly documented spaghetti code as the CoH engine was. And this is after them making all kinds of promises back before the game released about how this engine was being designed to be extensible and we'd never get the 'the engine can't support this' that was so often the reason they couldn't do things in CoH.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Poison is still completely nuts. Here's what I've got so far (planned to 40 but currently level 26, this includes what I've already picked):

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J000mTO3SXZ0EB6

Name: Mandrake

Super Stats:
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Unleashed
Level 6: Jack of All Trades
Level 9: Field Ops Training
Level 12: Covert Ops Training
Level 18: Martial Training
Level 21: Survival Training

Powers:
Level 1: Infernal Bolts (Toxin Overload)
Level 1: Pestilence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
Level 8: Supernatural Power
Level 11: Epidemic (Rank 2, Outbreak)
Level 14: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 17: Pounce (Crippling Challenge)
Level 20: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
Level 26: Condemn (Redemption Denied)
Level 29: Defile (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Ooze Tunneling

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)

Crippling Challenge isn't on the lunge right now but I do like having it and I'll pick it up towards the end of leveling. I dumped the starter blast because I don't have any use for it. I think it's particularly telling that in Radiation Rumble, I pretty much always get aggro from the boss. Soloing this character is broken as hell, basically I just fly around holding down Epidemic. If a large group looks a little hard then I can open with Condemn, and by the time the stun wears off everything is dead. I am saddened that Fire Snake is so immensely better than Defile for debuffing poison resist but oh well, I have a green "poison gas" summon dammit.

Currently Mandrake is parked at the Stronghold, so if anyone wants to do that let me know, I'm gonna play another character a bit anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cleretic posted:

The funny thing is, it probably takes an absolutely miniscule amount of effort to make this permanent content, and it would be an objectively good choice wit no downsides.

But they didn't do it, because ???.

The guy in charge of handling content development may actually be literally retarded. They've released a dearth of content over the past two years or so that could have helped turn this thing around. Instead, they've limited most of it to being available for a limited time only. Like they're somehow going to catch the (non-existent) GW2 crowd that loved missing content due to issues in real life.

I honestly don't understand what they're doing. If they were putting out a literal never-ending stream of content, maybe I could understand. But there's been updates only intermittently. What's more perplexing is that past updates have shown that they clearly have the development capacity to compete with other MMO's like STO. It's just that they don't seem to want too.

At least they didn't make the hover carrier mission temporary. That is hands down the most hilarious mission if you have a character that can wade into a dozen mobs and just waste them. It's basically something right out of City of Heroes if you build right for it.

Plus, if you're a pro at handling acrobat and swinging skills you can do some amazing things on that map. Like literally being able to web swing your way down to the engine section and have spectacular mid-air kung fu battles with Marvel-esque Doombots all while flipping between bits of superstructure to keep from falling to your doom.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 22, 2013