Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Colonel Sanders posted:

That just seems odd that the glass doesn't have the same safety film as like the front windshield of a car. You can take a car's windshield and roll it into a tube, fold it into a box or whatever and the glass will all remain in one crushed up piece. For that matter, I would guess you might be able to get some window tint film and put on a few layers and that might stop or reduce the shower of glass effect.

Honestly I'd prefer the cube-glass/safety glass variety of window like what it appears to have. Windshields stay mostly in one piece (the giant razor sharp shards don't go flying) but they make a god drat MESS because they still splinter and crack just like regular window glass. So you do in fact get showered with tiny razor sharp fragments and splinters of glass whenever they break in a non trivial way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

It kind of makes me wonder why they don't do laminated and tempered glass in one. It seems like a good idea in my head, but I'm sure there's a great reason as to why not.

I eagerly await gruesome leg pix.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

N is for Nipples posted:

I eagerly await gruesome leg pix.

Fine. Here you go. It still hurts like hell. These are all from today, literally since you wrote your reply.

As long as I move around about 80% speed I am ok. Unfortunately the last two days I have had to work my rear end off. :( When I sit for a long time it gets really stiff and I have to use a cane to get around for a minute until it loosens back up. The pics don't do a good job of showing how ugly my leg looks.
Swollen around the ankle and foot really bad, black blue and yellow from knee to toes.

The scrape on my shin is where the stupid thing landed. There's still a fair size goose egg there.

Continuing heat/cold therapy and wrapping with ace bandages helps a lot.

e: stairs can kiss my rear end though, and I have a three story house. With a split main level. :suicide:

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 25, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I know I don't have to tell you about infection, since you probably clean that wound every day with peroxide or alcohol or something similar, but that does look infected as hell from the swelling. Please don't lose your leg to gangrene :ohdear:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Beach Bum posted:

I know I don't have to tell you about infection, since you probably clean that wound every day with peroxide or alcohol or something similar, but that does look infected as hell from the swelling. Please don't lose your leg to gangrene :ohdear:

Seriously, it never even bled. I have cleaned it several times with peroxide and alcohol.

I have a ton of soft tissue damage, I saw a PA yesterday and got some therapy instructions. I was starting to get worried too guys. :ohdear: I'm on the mend, should be back to full speed in a week to ten days.

On another note, I got a new toy today. :woop:

I bought a scraper to put in the front of my skid steer.

That cute little thing has a 2.5cyd pan. My stock bucket is .75cyd (cubic yards.)

Made by Ashland Industries and they call it the GroundHog 2500. There's a few videos of one running on youtube and they are all terrible quality. I intend to fix that very soon.

I played with it for about 90 minutes tonight, worked on a road that is in very poor shape. It's a really fun toy and I'm looking forward to learning how to best use it.

For now, it will move a ridiculous amount of material in no time at all. Ashland claims their scraper is 158% more productive moving and spreading material than a bucket. I freakin believe it. Holy crap.I can't wait to get some video.

Why are scrapers cool? Because in the right material, like I have lots of, they are very very good at doing several jobs at once.
I can cut, trim, spread, compact and haul all with one tool. Some jobs are bucket jobs, some are going to be scraper jobs and some are going to be flip blade jobs.

I've got to build watergaps tomorrow, if I get done early enough I'll go play in the dirt and hopefully make a movie.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I just read this whole thread in one go. That's a great bunch of machinery you've got collected and a beautiful place to use it!

Hope your leg heals up quick. Looks painful as all hell.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, it looked like it was a puncture wound, which is why I was worried. That's some hella swelling.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
The leg is healing nicely. I finally got caught up enough on stuff to be able to spend some time in the shop and work on my cutter.

The corners of the teeth are getting worn and it's cutting slow. I've got about 40 hours on this set, and that's pretty good for them only being about half used.

Time to go to the shop and put on a fresh set of teeth. I have a jig and a special carbide grinding wheel to retouch the dull teeth, but today's not that day.
I'm just putting on a new set. The new ones are different steel and a different carbide profile. I can't tell any difference.

Here's a collection of tools...

Well this is going well....

I broke that one and twisted a 'L' wrench about 30 degrees around.
The bolts were stuck on the bores by a years worth of rust and loctite. If you're breaking wrenches, what's the solution? Heat!

All told I had to torch two of them off.

The other eight I just heated the base metal up to a dull forge red and they loosened right up.

One was rounded out inside and the allen key wouldn't grab, so it got Gas Axed off.

This cock sucker came part way out and then stopped and I rounded it off inside. Gas Axe time.

I win! Red hot metal as evidence!

After i got all the teeth off I ran a bottoming tap down each hole to clean up the threads.

Full set of new teef.

After the teeth, I was feeling a little froggy, already sweating and having a good time. So I went to work on the push guard screen.

It's bent pretty bad, and it's been vibrating. There's cracks on both sides in the corners and I wanted to reinforce the screen a bit.

Prep work, got to grind for a good weld.

Using C-Clamps and vise grips to pull it back onto place and weld the brace.

All done.

I had to tighten a few bolts, grease a couple joints and now it's ready to be put on the trailer and sent back to the landing. I'll get back to cutting soon.

I'll also be taking the scraper over to do some road work. So have some scraper pics.

Looking down into the pan

Full load

Outside view of a load

And the cutting edge

I was picking up some rock off an ancient oil well location and spreading it on a road, then some sand and misc dirt to mix in. 13 seconds to load the pan on flat ground, faster when loading downhill. I like this toy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I always had a soft spot for the Ford L-trucks. Never seen one with a Jimmy though.
One of my old customers (I was a mobile tire guy for a few years) had a '79 with an 855 as a yard truck. Weird little thing, it had the shortest wheelbase I've ever seen on a tandem- the front drives were barely a foot and a half behind the cab. Steering it was nearly impossible in the winter. The tranny blew up about a year before I ever saw it, so their mechanic dropped in an 8LL with a hosed A-box he had lying around and as a result it only had about 3 usable gears. There wasn't much compression left so she wouldn't start below about room temperature (and if you walked past it with an ice cream cone in your hand you had to use ether). Oh, and it was walking beam and the air seat was busted.
But goddamn was that fucker ever fun to rip around the yard.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
'Sup dump truck buddy!

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to take pics of your activities it is pretty interesting.

DonVincenzo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 30, 2013

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
New video day!

http://youtu.be/ecx_EDh5Gms

There's a link at the end to another video, check that out too. Let me know if it's too fast, I'll do another cut, I figured 21 seconds was plenty long enough to see what was going on.

I also made another dump truck shifting thing.

When youtube gets finished dicking with it, it will be here:

http://youtu.be/8EZK8UdHs7U

It felt good to work something close to a full day again, my leg is doing pretty good. :)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
this thread is loving awesome. About that "robot scoop arm" on the elevator, is that as cool as i imagine it is in my head?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From this day on I will feel like a complete sucker when cutting roads with just a bucket. Ho-le-crap that thing is awesome. I had no idea they made a pan that small or that it would work that well.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Motronic posted:

From this day on I will feel like a complete sucker when cutting roads with just a bucket. Ho-le-crap that thing is awesome. I had no idea they made a pan that small or that it would work that well.

I know, right? I heard about them a couple years ago, finally found this one cheap and close enough to get me interested. New I think they are about 13,500 bucks.

AcidRonin posted:

this thread is loving awesome. About that "robot scoop arm" on the elevator, is that as cool as i imagine it is in my head?

It's about 3% as cool as you're imagining. two swivel joints and the pivot. The tube is just a vacuum nozzle. It sucks a little bit of grain from the truck and takes it all the way inside where they by hand, split the sample into 3 different machines. One to check moisture, one to check how clean it is, and one to check weight. Those are networked to the scale computer. You leave with a scale ticket that has test weight (of the grain,) cleanliness dockage amount (how dirty and weedy your crop is,) your tare and full weights, how many bushels you have and how much they are paying you for it.

A good elevator crew will keep the trucks flying in and out. This year they could have hired a box of monkeys to do the job, that's how lovely our wheat harvest was.

I promised some storm/weather pics two and a half weeks ago...well, it hasn't done much but storm and rain since then. I'm having a hell of a time getting anything done in all the mud. I can't even get to my skid steers because of the mud. Dump truck is parked, no sense in tearing up the roads I want to fix...

Anyway, have a wall of pics.

This first series is from the storm on the night of the 22nd.

7ft high debris line

Beavers, natures flood control engineers.

Ever seen what pea size hail driven by 60-80mph winds does to trees and grass? I have, it's weird.

The hail beat the poo poo out of this prickly pear cactus.

Weeds five feet tall stripped of everything but the stalk.

This wash wasn't there the day before.

I have a thousand acres that looked like this.

Blew this decent size cotton wood out of the ground.

How much water went through here?

1030 The next morning and there was still a pocket of hail an inch and a half deep. 88 degrees too.

Flipped over irrigation system

Hay bale stack blown over.

Big m'fing tree blown over/apart.

Behind my house, my yard is on the right side. There's normally NOT water here.

My backyard shooting range....underwater.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
double posting because I hit the length limit.

Looks like Bob isn't going to be heading in to cut trees today.

Oh yeah, I still have a hole in my leg. :nms:

And....Sam.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do you have or use a CB radio or anything like that when you're out on your land?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that's a good sized leg hole.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Crankit posted:

Do you have or use a CB radio or anything like that when you're out on your land?

We have VHF radios that we use when we need them. Most of the time it's a one man show...just me. My neighbor and I use handhelds a lot when we're riding pastures together.

We've had over 4.5 inches of rain in the last week basically. Possibly more to come, I'm not getting anything done other than put in watergaps and fight the mud.

I tried to get over to my skid steer two days ago and didn't make it, no way in hell I am getting the last mile in there unless I walk. And gently caress walking half way that uphill in the mud.

Picking tree limbs out of the yard is almost a daily thing right now, and it won't dry up enough so I can cut the yard. Never would I ever dream that I'd have to wait for the yard to dry so I can cut the grass(mostly weeds) in August.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
How does your house still have shingles left?! Thats some intense damage.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I really appreciate your explanation of the elevator thing. I did not know that a grain elevator was so digital. I see them driving to my moms house a lot from the city and always just sort of assumed "big place you keep the stuff beer comes from in".

Do you have a way to reduce flooding on your land? Digging drainage paths and the like? Or is that actually good for a ranch? I am an actual agriculture idiot. I feel like the whole career field is still at least 50% magic.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Preptopus, I have a steel roof on my house and so does everything at the ranch.

AcidRonin, I wish flooding was a problem. Flash flooding can be a problem though. In short, rain is good, some rain is better. Rain grows grass, cows eat grass and get fat. We eat cows.
I try to disturb the land as little as possible and only do what's necessary.

On another note, I'm going to try to do some dump truckin tomorrow!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

AcidRonin posted:

I really appreciate your explanation of the elevator thing. I did not know that a grain elevator was so digital. I see them driving to my moms house a lot from the city and always just sort of assumed "big place you keep the stuff beer comes from in".
They also explode from time to time. It's surprisingly complicated trying to manage it.

If you ever get a chance to go inside one I highly recommend it.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I've worked in a grain elevator for a few years now. If there's any interest in how they work and it's cool with Used Sunlight Sales I could take some pictures tomorrow and throw together a post showing how we do things.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Herble Gerblederp posted:

I've worked in a grain elevator for a few years now. If there's any interest in how they work and it's cool with Used Sunlight Sales I could take some pictures tomorrow and throw together a post showing how we do things.

Get right after it, I'm a little curious as to what magic actually goes on after I dump a load in the pit to be quite honest with you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
AI has become the go to place for awesome mechanical tech. I love hearing about machinery at work.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They also explode from time to time. It's surprisingly complicated trying to manage it.

If you ever get a chance to go inside one I highly recommend it.

That poo poo is nuts, I know about any fine substance being explosive but gently caress me grain explosions kill 18? Nature. loving nature.

I would be really interested in seeing the inside of a grain elevator, and look forward to actuall dump trucking. Please continue to live out 5-year-old AcidRonin's Farming career fantasy's the lot of you.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

I ate cow last night and it was good. My roommate in school lived on a cow ranch in Northern Virginia but it was so much less cool than yours. They had a farm use SUV and like 8 cows. Nothing cool. Your ranch is much cooler and has awesome big machines. Farming is magic, thank you for the cow meat.

EDIT the post button is not the edit button :hurr:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Anyone want to guess how much a set of tracks costs for one of those machines? :suicide:

I'm having issues with pictures on my phone right now, tried to upload some to Imgur last night and the loving phone deleted them.

p.s., Eat more cows.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Used Sunlight sales posted:

p.s., Eat more cows.
If it used to moo, it's good to chew!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Anyone want to guess how much a set of tracks costs for one of those machines? :suicide:

Considering bobcat tracks are $800 a side........It's got to be insane.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A set for our little Vermeer S600TX at work was A$1200, add in the prancing deer tax and Im guessing little to no change from $2500

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Ferremit posted:

A set for our little Vermeer S600TX at work was A$1200, add in the prancing deer tax and Im guessing little to no change from $2500

2500 each or a set from JD?

If you said EACH, you'd be right. Holy poo poo....

I found a pair for just under 3 grand shipped. I'm about to toss my phone in the garbage, still having issues with it.

'Prancing deer tax' I like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Does anyone make a set of steel tracks to suit your little beasts? Considering just how little time it looks like your machines spend on seal surfaces, a steel track option might be a good one?

Tho if every steel tracked machine i've ever been near is anything to go by, it will scream and screech like an absolute bastard once dirt gets into em

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Does anyone make a set of steel tracks to suit your little beasts? Considering just how little time it looks like your machines spend on seal surfaces, a steel track option might be a good one?

Tho if every steel tracked machine i've ever been near is anything to go by, it will scream and screech like an absolute bastard once dirt gets into em

Steel tracks are miserable to live with for the reasons you stated and also because the ride quality just sucks, they require MORE maintenance (or you end up with loosey goosey tracks that need to be replaced anyway), and suck rear end in the winter even more than in the summer. Plus it looks like he spends most of his time in the dirt. Steel tracks really shine when you're doing things that rip up rubber ones, like scooting around on ballast stone and crap like that. Rubber is perfect for dirt, and as you mentioned won't tear up tarmac if you need to cross it.

The machine I'm using now (a Bobcat T190) is probably gonna need new tracks in about 200 hours. It currently has almost 700 hours on it When you look at it that way, it's really not so bad. I'd guess that his superior prancing deer tracks will last longer than my downmarket workhorse based on seeing similar machines in person (they have a LOT more meat on them).

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
The tracks are supposed to last a thousand hours, which might as well be lifetime for me because I'll probably trade before then.

I got these for a little more than half what a set of Deer(e) tracks would.

http://rubbertrack.com/item_259/18-450mm-EXT-Series-Replacement-Rubber-Track.htm

Bobcat has an option for steel tracks on their second to largest machine

Other guys in the industry will vouch for this, but we started at 8 this morning with three riders and one guy (pop) in the Kubota leading the 266 cows.
The drive was a mile, we had the cattle penned, calves sorted off into one pen, sorted two limping bulls off, the non limping bulls off, and then sorted 3 smalls and 2 cows of the neighbors off.

Loaded two pots, a ground load trailer and a big stock trailer, got paid, then one neighbor showed up to load his critters. All said and done, got the cows turned back out on grass by 2. We've got count on the cows and bulls, one calf short.

I'm beat. Imagine playing an outdoor sport for six hours non stop, that's what I feel like. At least we've had enough rain that I'm not covered in muddy dust, that sucks rear end.

Nothing worse than having a streak of mud run down your face into your eye because it's dusty as gently caress and you're sweating buckets.

I'm off to bid a rock hauling job!

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 22, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You fuckers are making me want a bobcat even though I have no place to use it. Though a skilled operator with a little bit of marketing can easily pay off a used machine in a couple of years with enough work.

I have heard guys to say stay the gently caress away from Case-IH machines though. I have heard nothing but horror stories left and right about their machines.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Surprised you haven't been eaten alive by the bugs yet, this is the worst year for them since I've lived out here. Normally it's been so dry in the summer that they never get a chance to really get off the ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You fuckers are making me want a bobcat even though I have no place to use it. Though a skilled operator with a little bit of marketing can easily pay off a used machine in a couple of years with enough work.

I have heard guys to say stay the gently caress away from Case-IH machines though. I have heard nothing but horror stories left and right about their machines.

You know you want some of this.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Motronic posted:

Is that a bobcat or a Mech cockpit? They were way more stripped down when I was running them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Motronic posted:

Man they have come a long way since I last drove a Bobcat

• Locked thread