Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I'm also of the opinion that (Peter Gabriel excepted) a self-titled album as anything other than your debut is a bad sign. If it's a genuine rebirth/return to form, the music should speak for itself and not require such a presumptuous title.

What, even The Beatles? Granted, it's been given the nickname "The White Album," but obviously they didn't have that in mind when they released it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Enemy Within's a really good song.

EDIT: I'm guessing The Enemy Inside is alcoholism, am I close?

With Portnoy no longer in the band, probably not.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

BigFactory posted:

EDIT: I'm guessing The Enemy Inside is alcoholism, am I close?

Portnoy isn't in the band anymore. He took his alcohol guilt somewhere else.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nihil morari posted:

To The Winery Dogs. :laugh:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nihil morari posted:

I just watched the lyric video on mute, and I don't know what the music sounds like, but based on lyrics alone I think it's making a strong push for official E/N theme song.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I38N8XHJg8U

I will get everything Rudess is a part of. Sounds very similar to some of his solo album stuff.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

DukAmok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I38N8XHJg8U

I will get everything Rudess is a part of. Sounds very similar to some of his solo album stuff.
He has some amazing jazz chops.

Not being in to DT, have I missed amazing balls-out keys like this? If so, point me in the right direction (songs/albums, etc).

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

FalseParadigm posted:

Not being in to DT, have I missed amazing balls-out keys like this? If so, point me in the right direction (songs/albums, etc).

Feeding the Wheel is one of my favorite albums, with Revolving Door being a great track off that. The ending is just incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREuKBi26yg

The Rudess/Morgenstein Project has some cool stuff off it too, Crossing Over might be my favorite track of his, the ending is definitely my favorite keyboard solo of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0libjrX94

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FalseParadigm posted:

Disclaimer, I'm really not a DT fan, but I think he sucks up otherwise decent songs almost as much as LaBrie's horrible voice. They combine to make the band really suck.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

DukAmok posted:

Feeding the Wheel is one of my favorite albums, with Revolving Door being a great track off that. The ending is just incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREuKBi26yg

This is an amazing track overall, but being a brass player, synth horns are a tough for me to bear sometimes. My dream is to cover all my favorite songs that have synth horns in them, replacing them with a real brass section. That said, I pretended they weren't there and rather enjoyed the track (loved the woodwind/percussion/piano breakdown). The ending makes up for it.

DukAmok posted:

Crossing Over might be my favorite track of his, the ending is definitely my favorite keyboard solo of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0libjrX94
I like this track a lot. A great groove, and that is an amazing solo.

I just realized the Dixie Dregs connection (I thought the drummer's name sounded familiar). Sweet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Synth horns and strings kinda display a general sense of poor taste IMO. Like brendt mydland from the dead was probably a pretty good piano player but I don't even care because he had such awful judgement in the bad Midi sounds he chose. I'm glad he od'd.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Disclaimer, I'm really not a DT fan, but I think he sucks up otherwise decent songs almost as much as LaBrie's horrible voice. They combine to make the band really suck.
That is one of the reasons I don't like DT. They are a band made up of AMAZING virtuoso musicians that can't seem to figure out how to write an enjoyable song (at least to me).

That said, jazz-fusion sort of stuff is totally made for that sort of thing and I think he's a great player.

BigFactory posted:

Synth horns and strings kinda display a general sense of poor taste IMO. Like brendt mydland from the dead was probably a pretty good piano player but I don't even care because he had such awful judgement in the bad Midi sounds he chose. I'm glad he od'd.
The strings in that track were live...though a tad over-produced.

EDIT...

I just re-read your reply and totally missed the last bit. My take on synth horns is that only the square wave horn synth (a la early Van Halen) is acceptable. And only by early Van Halen so that point is moot.

It's not cool when people od. :smith:

FalseParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 7, 2013

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FalseParadigm posted:

That is one of the reasons I don't like DT. They are a band made up of AMAZING virtuoso musicians that can't seem to figure out how to write an enjoyable song (at least to me).

That said, jazz-fusion sort of stuff is totally made for that sort of thing and I think he's a great player.

The strings in that track were live...though a tad over-produced.

EDIT...

I just re-read your reply and totally missed the last bit. My take on synth horns is that only the square wave horn synth (a la early Van Halen) is acceptable. And only by early Van Halen so that point is moot.

It's not cool when people od. :smith:

Go back and listen to some late 80s dead shows. You'll agree with me after about 2 songs. Maybe it was all the heroin that was making him fat finger the loving worst sounds on his Roland. Yuck.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Seventh Arrow posted:

What, even The Beatles? Granted, it's been given the nickname "The White Album," but obviously they didn't have that in mind when they released it.

I can't think of an earlier instance of a late self-titled album as artistic statement, and, y'know, it's a really good album. So, yeah, the Beatles definitely get a pass. (Solo McCartney does not.) I just imagine that most people who've done this since were hoping it'd be their White Album.

Anyway, I like Jordan Rudess best when he sounds near-indistinguishable from a lead guitarist—from what I've heard, that's the most distinctive thing he does. I enjoy his work more often than not, but yeah, he suffers from the same disease Rick Wakeman does.

LaBrie's always been the weak link in Dream Theater, I think, but he's really not that bad. He's just unfortunately an adequate musician among virtuosos and doesn't seem to have his own voice. More often than not he sounds like a stand-in for James Hetfield or Bruce Dickinson.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 7, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I agree about LaBrie, but the dude's been with them for over 20 years and I think it's kind of cool that they stick together like that. It basically wouldn't be DT without that nasally voice.

Can't say the same for Portnoy, obviously!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think LaBrie totally destroys quieter stuff (in a good way). Like on Wait for Sleep, the end of The Count of Tuscany, Regression, etc. But when he goes for the high notes it just sounds like he's yelling. I dunno if I'm keen for the new album or not, that single was kinda not my thing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I can't think of an earlier instance of a late self-titled album as artistic statement, and, y'know, it's a really good album.

Deftones and Killing Joke just off the top of my head. Killing Joke's was even their second self titled, and it was great.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Bob's a human fly. Buzz buzz buzz

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I'm completely obsessed with Wolf People lately. I got both of their albums pretty much imediately after hearing them.

Here's one from the first album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbiMWEV7QM
And the second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kxuuuftd4

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
A friend [pictured middle] is at a Music Master's camp this week hosted by the musician on the left:

The musician on the right lives a half hour away and showed up.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Anyone else going to ProgDay next weekend? Looks like a pretty solid lineup. I've been going every year since 2002, haven't had a bad experience yet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
So apparently this is a real thing: Prog Rock Boat Cruises

I would be tempted.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I'd rather go on this one. That is one hell of a lineup.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rust Martialis posted:

So apparently this is a real thing: Prog Rock Boat Cruises

I would be tempted.
From the billing I'm assuming this is the lovely Geoff Tate Queensryche and not the Todd La Torre Queensryche that people actually pay money to see?

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008
So Lucassen's going for it with promoting the new Ayreon album The Theory of Everything, the usual guess the musician/vocalist deal on youtube. The real interesting stuff so far is the guest keyboard players - it seems he's got Emerson, Wakeman and Rudess all contributing solos on this one. Those are some big names, it'll be interesting to see what singers he's gotten together for the album to stand up to that kind of profile.

I was already pretty hyped for this album, and now between the over-the-top title, return to the retired Ayreon brand, and what looks like a "gently caress it, let's go for the big names" attitude, I'm really starting to get into an Ayreon kind of mood. Prog Rock Opera is something that requires completely balls-deep commitment without taking itself too seriously, and Ayreon has always struck that balance for me.

Anything else in the same vein that will help satisfy that urge while I wait for the new album?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Misogynist posted:

From the billing I'm assuming this is the lovely Geoff Tate Queensryche and not the Todd La Torre Queensryche that people actually pay money to see?

It's the actual Queensryche with Todd La Torre, not GT's cover band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only cruise where nobody gets laid.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Progressive Nation At Sea sounds so goddamn cool. No way I could afford it, but I would love to go.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Man, the ending of Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part I is one of the most musically eerie things ever created.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

Man, the ending of Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part I is one of the most musically eerie things ever created.

Agree, it's terrifying and beautiful simultaneously, a difficult thing to manage musically.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's maybe the most perfect moment in all of King Crimson's music. More than anything else, the ending to LTiA Part 1 is the reason I feel like there hasn't been a truly great live version. None of the ones I've heard have given me chills the way the studio version does.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rollersnake posted:

It's maybe the most perfect moment in all of King Crimson's music. More than anything else, the ending to LTiA Part 1 is the reason I feel like there hasn't been a truly great live version. None of the ones I've heard have given me chills the way the studio version does.

Have you checked out "The Great Deceiver" boxset? There's a great moment where their set is almost entirely improvised pieces, and then they literally drop in to LTIA: Pt I and you don't even notice it until that choppy rhythm build-up starts. That boxset is scarily good.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Noise Machine posted:

Have you checked out "The Great Deceiver" boxset? There's a great moment where their set is almost entirely improvised pieces, and then they literally drop in to LTIA: Pt I and you don't even notice it until that choppy rhythm build-up starts. That boxset is scarily good.

The one that transitions from "Sharks' Lungs in Lemsip"? It's very good but still doesn't hold a candle to the studio version, I think.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Haken's new album The Mountain is incredible. I've been a big fan of these guys since Aquarius and this is easily their best work.

This song has stood out more to me than anything else this year so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUz2xt-4FCA

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Trees and Squids posted:

Haken's new album The Mountain is incredible. I've been a big fan of these guys since Aquarius and this is easily their best work.

This song has stood out more to me than anything else this year so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUz2xt-4FCA
I picked this up recently and was just about to post about it yesterday. They were great even when they were accused of sounding too much like Dream Theater, but I'm really loving the notched-up influences from Gentle Giant and The Flower Kings. The mellower songs also remind me a lot of Amplifier's The Octopus, which was definitely one of my favorite heavy-prog releases of the last couple of years.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm convinced that Haken is an insidious conspiracy to make prog metal fans to shift to prog rock and ultimately pop. They're really, really good at mixing them all, but this time they're leaning much further from the metal that was strong in the first two albums, and it seems that the songs are simpler in structure now. It's definitely a strong album, but I'm not really happy about the change.

Also does anyone know what's going on with Pain of Salvation? Have they said anything about a new album?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 8, 2013

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Also does anyone know what's going on with Pain of Salvation? Have they said anything about a new album?

They're doing an acoustic studio album combined with DVD release soon.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
Did anyone make is to Progpower USA this year?

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
New Dream Theater track, "Along For The Ride"
http://www.bravewords.com/news/2101...ng+For+The+Ride

Yawn. The other song was a lot better. Still looking forward to the album, though.

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

RDreamer posted:

They're doing an acoustic studio album combined with DVD release soon.

Eh, I was hoping they'd return to doing more heavily produced material by now. But I guess it sort of makes sense after what happened to their lineup.