Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

x-post from the stupid question thread because it's about a tool and a stupid question:

I was just offered an older Hobart TIG welder for $400. It's a 230v water-cooled Unit and I did see it work. I don't know a lot about TIG, but I want to learn. I've been using a cheap Harbor-Freight flux core welder for like an hour every night, I've just been sticking stuff together but I really enjoy it. This thing is BIG, I'd say the unit itself is close to 3 feet deep/tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. It comes on a cart with the entire water-cooling setup and I'd have to buy my own bottle.

It looks like this one, but with an extra knob and a cart/watercooling setup.

I can't afford a newer TIG like a dynasty. Should I buy this?

I'd say go for it. Is as DC or AC/DC? AC is needed for welding ally. Also check what the minimum output is, as being a 3-phase machine it's probably something like 300A-capable, which is well into 3/8" mild steel territory, and that gets pretty fuckin' hot! Hobart is a good brand, and that's an industrial grade machine. Do you have/can you get 240v 3-phase at home or where you'd be using it?

TIG welding is both great fun and extremely rewarding. Don't listen to anyone who says that TIG is "Really hard" or that you "Have to be taught by a professional". I taught myself by doing a relatively small amount of reading on setting up the machine and welding amerpages, and then watching tutorials by Welding Tips & Tricks on Youtube. (That guy is fuckin' awesome, by the way!) If i can do it, anyone can as i have almost no patience and the hand-eye co-ordination of a blind amputee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mooseykins posted:

I'd say go for it. Is as DC or AC/DC? AC is needed for welding ally. Also check what the minimum output is, as being a 3-phase machine it's probably something like 300A-capable, which is well into 3/8" mild steel territory, and that gets pretty fuckin' hot! Hobart is a good brand, and that's an industrial grade machine. Do you have/can you get 240v 3-phase at home or where you'd be using it?

TIG welding is both great fun and extremely rewarding. Don't listen to anyone who says that TIG is "Really hard" or that you "Have to be taught by a professional". I taught myself by doing a relatively small amount of reading on setting up the machine and welding amerpages, and then watching tutorials by Welding Tips & Tricks on Youtube. (That guy is fuckin' awesome, by the way!) If i can do it, anyone can as i have almost no patience and the hand-eye co-ordination of a blind amputee.

It's AC/DC and it looked like it went down to 35A. My garage is already wired for it, it's a long story but apparently this welder was actually used in my shop before I moved here. I think it also has a second lever adjuster on the right hand side that the one in the picture doesn't have. I should have taken a pic, but I got a bit excited when he gave me the price.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

It's AC/DC and it looked like it went down to 35A. My garage is already wired for it, it's a long story but apparently this welder was actually used in my shop before I moved here. I think it also has a second lever adjuster on the right hand side that the one in the picture doesn't have. I should have taken a pic, but I got a bit excited when he gave me the price.

Sounds good, 35A is about what you'd use for 1/16" mild steel, so if you want to do thin sheet it may not have a low enough range. However i think the lowest i've run my machine was 18A to repair a flexi section on a stainless exhaust for a DB6, gently caress doing that again..

Good that it has AC though as well.

If you buy it, get the biggest gas bottle you can find. You'll rinse it pretty quick, TIG is addictive.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mooseykins posted:

Sounds good, 35A is about what you'd use for 1/16" mild steel, so if you want to do thin sheet it may not have a low enough range. However i think the lowest i've run my machine was 18A to repair a flexi section on a stainless exhaust for a DB6, gently caress doing that again..

Good that it has AC though as well.

If you buy it, get the biggest gas bottle you can find. You'll rinse it pretty quick, TIG is addictive.

Good to know, I've got the flux core for really thin stuff. After some practice I've been able to draw a clean bead on as thin as 22 gauge. I don't know how much stainless/aluminum I'll be doing to start, but I definitely want to learn. I'm going to check out that guys youtube channel, I've been having a hard time finding good guide/walkthroughs.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Good to know, I've got the flux core for really thin stuff. After some practice I've been able to draw a clean bead on as thin as 22 gauge. I don't know how much stainless/aluminum I'll be doing to start, but I definitely want to learn. I'm going to check out that guys youtube channel, I've been having a hard time finding good guide/walkthroughs.

Start off with 1/8" mild steel. Clean it up with a flap disc or something in an angle grinder (Tungstens don't like dirty workpieces.) and maybe wipe down with rubbing alcohol, go from there. Just all about practice really. Once you know your basics and such it's easy to get going. You'll set your machine up and while learning will adjust it a couple times, them you'll only adjust amperage as you learn.

Basics:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tig-tutorial.htm

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Snap On Pizza Cutter and Ice Cream spoon!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Craftsman bottle cap wrench is actually really, really nice to use: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-cap-wrench-bottle-opener/p-00944500000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Seconding this! I bought mine the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, and it might be the best Craftsman purchase I ever made.

Which isn't saying much.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I was an electrician's apprentice once upon a time, so I prefer the Klein bottle opener. http://www.amazon.com/Klein-98002BT-Bottle-Opener/dp/B00093GENU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
I stopped by Sears to get a few of the cheaper things I needed where quality didn't matter too much for the moment (wrench wrap, inspection mirror, LED light, etc.). drat but that place is depressing. Whole sections of the store cordoned off and empty, or filled with junk. One or two salesmen in a huge store, and perhaps half that many customers. Amazing how a little short-term greed can ruin everything.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ctishman posted:

I stopped by Sears to get a few of the cheaper things I needed where quality didn't matter too much for the moment (wrench wrap, inspection mirror, LED light, etc.). drat but that place is depressing. Whole sections of the store cordoned off and empty, or filled with junk. One or two salesmen in a huge store, and perhaps half that many customers. Amazing how a little short-term greed can ruin everything.

What happened?
Please forgive my ignorant foreign self.

Anyway I'm here to ask a question. What are the spanners called that have a big offset presumably for recessed / crowded nuts / bolts? I'd really like a couple of them but I don't know what they are called.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

General_Failure posted:

What happened?
Please forgive my ignorant foreign self.

He's probably referring to when Sears merged/bought out Kmart a few years ago, apparently they have been in an incredibly steep nose dive since. At least in terms of quality and financially speaking.

Edit: Here's something I've been wondering, being a home mechanic its quite hard for me to find the better brands of tools locally. Mainly Sears and Harbor Freight are the only two stores remotely close, if I was to want to purchase better tools what are my options(Snap On, etc)? Of course I can order them online, but what happens at that point if I need to get them fixed/warrantied/replaced? Would I need to mail them back to the manufacturer?

Are there any kind of tool truck type setups for non-technicians out there?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 18, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

Edit: Here's something I've been wondering, being a home mechanic its quite hard for me to find the better brands of tools locally. Mainly Sears and Harbor Freight are the only two stores remotely close, if I was to want to purchase better tools what are my options(Snap On, etc)? Of course I can order them online, but what happens at that point if I need to get them fixed/warrantied/replaced? Would I need to mail them back to the manufacturer?

Are there any kind of tool truck type setups for non-technicians out there?

You know anyone at your local garage(s)? Ask them when the tool truck shows up. He'll be happy to sell to you for cash, but you're unlikely to get any kind of financing.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

You know anyone at your local garage(s)? Ask them when the tool truck shows up. He'll be happy to sell to you for cash, but you're unlikely to get any kind of financing.

I have a few highschool friends who are techs at local dealerships, I've bought tools directly from my friends before but never thought to ask them when the truck comes and if I could just walk up and buy them myself. I'm mainly looking for smaller hand tools, impact sockets, that kind of stuff so I would definitely be paying cash and not needing any credit from them, would they also do the warranties/exchanges without problem?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Powershift posted:

$20 sockets. From canadian tire on the left and princess auto on the right. What the poo poo.

Canadians will feel me on this one.

Also, my torque is multipying! :supaburn:

I will never buy individual tools from canadian tire. They are four times as expensive and still poo poo. At least with princess auto I can buy sockets for like 3 bucks and throw it away when I ruin it. I have a bunch of their massive sockets (32mm, 36mm and 42mm) that I bought for one-off jobs.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 18, 2013

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

wallaka posted:

I was an electrician's apprentice once upon a time, so I prefer the Klein bottle opener. http://www.amazon.com/Klein-98002BT-Bottle-Opener/dp/B00093GENU

That looks nice but how the heck does it open a klein bottle?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

would they also do the warranties/exchanges without problem?

I brought the broken lifetime warranty SK (Snap On bought them) socket my grandfather passed down to me to the Snap On guy at my friend's garage (he has no idea who I am, just that I don't work there) and he not only gave me a new socket buy told me to keep the old one because it was my grandfathers. He also asked if my ratchets had serial numbers and if he could seem them :) (they do and he dated them to the early 50s, which makes sense).

Your mileage my vary, as these are all independent dealers, but there's no reason you should be hassled.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

100% Dundee posted:

I have a few highschool friends who are techs at local dealerships, I've bought tools directly from my friends before but never thought to ask them when the truck comes and if I could just walk up and buy them myself. I'm mainly looking for smaller hand tools, impact sockets, that kind of stuff so I would definitely be paying cash and not needing any credit from them, would they also do the warranties/exchanges without problem?

Can't speak for Mac/Cornwell/Matco but you can buy Snap-on directly off their website, i believe they offer free shipping in the US for purchases under $500.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

peepsalot posted:

You smash it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

peepsalot posted:

It's already open on the bottom.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fight for my affection!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Fight for my affection!

Now kith.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Not sure if anyone here would be interested in a Milwaukee cordless drill and 1/4" impact driver tool combo, but a friend passed this deal to me, and I thought I'd post it here
http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a880445e4086c75a5a4e8122c&id=480ec4f712&e=2c517a442a

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I paid $250 for the same set (except with a red plastic case instead of a bag, and it was before the Red lithium packs came out) and it was worth every cent. Heck of a deal.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I paid $250 for the same set (except with a red plastic case instead of a bag, and it was before the Red lithium packs came out) and it was worth every cent. Heck of a deal.

Absolutely correct, thats a great deal. The charger and batteries alone are worth almost $150 so you're basically paying $30 for both of those bare tools. I think you could easily come out ahead even if you didn't need either of those tools and bought that deal, resold the tools on CL/locally/wherever and kept the batteries/charger and just bought any M18 tools you actually want as a bare-tool for much cheaper.

Edit: For example, the M18 1/2" Impact Wrench is $169 bare tool but if you get it with the batteries and charger its either $299 remanufactured and $379 new. That's a $130-$210 savings if you already have batteries and a charger.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 19, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Wow, with the combo charger too? Sick deal.

I think I'm still going to hold off and grab an M12 Fuel combo kit whenever they go on sale. I was messing around with the drill & driver at HD last weekend - those little guys seem just as powerful as the regular M18 stuff, and they're ridiculously light.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Question about crimpers.
Is this thing like the U.S. Harbor Freight ones or something different. I really do need a proper crimper given the sheer number of them I do, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile getting the really good ones running over $100. I don't do auto electrics for a living. just my stuff.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RATCHET-CRIMPING-TOOL-HEAVY-DUTY-NEW-PRO-QUALITY-/300950168829

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I asked the maintenance guy about Milwaukee cordless tools and he said they used to have them here but every year Milwaukee changes their batteries and they're not interchangeable or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fps_bill posted:

I asked the maintenance guy about Milwaukee cordless tools and he said they used to have them here but every year Milwaukee changes their batteries and they're not interchangeable or something.

It's not every year, but yeah.....it's more than say DeWalt, where you can still use the same 18v NiCad packs on the same tools that have the newer XRP packs (or the XRPs on older tools). This has made this style battery and charger so common that it's unlikely you'll exceed the useful life of the tools and be without batteries, even if they are 3rd party.

Many cordless tools end up being unviable simply due to the limited availability of batteries and/or their price when you can find them because the manufacturer has moved on in battery styles before producing and selling a critical mass of tools that would cause sufficient demand for the manufacturers or third parties to continue making batteries at a reasonable price.

This may or may not be a problem for you depending on how much you use your tools or how hard you are on them. But it's going to be a huge issue for people who barely ever use their tools and don't leave batteries on the charger for Li-ion batteries (which will eventually fall to a charge level low enough to destroy the battery on their own).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 20, 2013

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Question about crimpers.
Is this thing like the U.S. Harbor Freight ones or something different. I really do need a proper crimper given the sheer number of them I do, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile getting the really good ones running over $100. I don't do auto electrics for a living. just my stuff.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RATCHET-CRIMPING-TOOL-HEAVY-DUTY-NEW-PRO-QUALITY-/300950168829

That looks exactly like the Harbor Freight ratcheting crimper. I have one. It gets the job done for me, but take that with a grain of salt as I have no basis for comparison, never having used a "good" one. I only do light, non-critical car electrical work - stereos and what not - so I only use it once in a while, and couldn't justify spending 6x the cost of the HF one on a decent brand. People who can compare them pretty much agree that the HF one blows though, FWIW.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Does anyone have a recommendation on a power bleeder for brakes? I have seen/used a mityvac before, but I now have an air compressor and am curious about the pneumatic ones. It seems they range in price greatly. Are there other quality options to look for? I don't mind spending a bit of money if it really will save me time on my three cars and last me through the next three cars or more. If there is a pump style bleeder that doesn't require me to constantly pump like I'm pissed with a stress ball, then I'm open to that too. Bonus points if it has an attachment that can let me pump fluid into transmissions and differentials. I think that might just be better had in a separate tool though?

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 20, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aflicted posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a power bleeder for brakes? I have seen/used a mityvac before, but I now have an air compressor and am curious about the pneumatic ones. It seems they range in price greatly. Are there other quality options to look for? I don't mind spending a bit of money if it really will save me time on my three cars and last me through the next three cars or more.

You don't need a compressor. Just get a Motive Power Bleeder and the appropriate caps and you'll be happy.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

You don't need a compressor. Just get a Motive Power Bleeder and the appropriate caps and you'll be happy.

goddamn you are fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aflicted posted:

goddamn you are fast.

And now I see your edit......with my motive I can pump it about 10-15 times (depending on how much fluid is in it) and fully bleed an entire brake system on a car. Sometimes you have to re-pump if it's particularly full or it's a truck or something with stupid long brake lines.

This is definitely not the same device you use to pump transmission oil.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
OK, I'm fine with pressurizing something equivalent to a garden sprayer. Two of them are Subarus so I should be able to use the same cap for the motive, I need to go find out what my old Dakota uses. That truck will be the first vehicle it gets used on. I wasn't sure if there was something that would let me convert it into a fluid pump or not. I will just look at one of those for the trans/diffs. All my cars are 4wd so I have plenty of that to pump around too.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Knowing my luck I'd pull the trigger on that combo and they'd switch batteries before I could afford to get the other tools I want.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I'm trying to fit a tool chest into a relatively small area. I'm looking at 24"-26" wide, something like a top chest. I've looked at a few craftsman ones just because sears is nearby, but I recall hearing that they're not quite up to snuff. I don't want to spend more than like $250, and it's honestly not going to be super heavily used. Any reccomendations or will a $100-$150 sears or lowe's chest be ok for moderate use tool storage in my apartment? I can't seem to find anything that size from harbor freight either.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Viper915 posted:

I'm trying to fit a tool chest into a relatively small area. I'm looking at 24"-26" wide, something like a top chest. I've looked at a few craftsman ones just because sears is nearby, but I recall hearing that they're not quite up to snuff. I don't want to spend more than like $250, and it's honestly not going to be super heavily used. Any reccomendations or will a $100-$150 sears or lowe's chest be ok for moderate use tool storage in my apartment? I can't seem to find anything that size from harbor freight either.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-drawer-top-chest-67423.html It's 26" and 3/4. I hate to recommend this, but check out Home Depot (I hate that place) Husky toolboxes are pretty drat nice.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I like this one, because it has a cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Okay, here's a sort of strange question that still falls tangentially into the realm of tools: Work pants.

I want to get some strong work pants that will resist oil/water/tearing, but I don't want to pay seventy goddamn bucks for a pair of stylish yuppie workpants, because they're currently in fashion.

I've bought and used a pair of Dickies 874s for like $20/pair on sale and have been extremely impressed with their sturdiness and fit, but I wondered if anyone here had a favorite type of work pants they could recommend.

Ideally I'm looking for something without a lot of loops and gadgets on them that just catch everywhere.