Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Lexicon posted:

You're aware that cars can be financed over different length time periods? The guy said the car was 22k, so $900/month => a 2 year term. I'd have amortized it over longer myself if the principal and offered rate remained the same, but this is all orthogonal to whether or not Canada has a housing bubble.

I just like the contrasting of financing a deprecating asset, then complaining about the injustice of Vancouver's market.

One of the reasons Canada's market is like this is because (most) people suck at basic finance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The problem with a housing bubble isn't that prices are high, it's that people are over-leveraging themselves on an asset they assume can only go up in value. There's a huge difference between opting to pay twice as much on a car (and potentially pay it off twice as fast), and opting to pay twice as much on a a full-term mortgage because you're expecting some huge ROI in a few years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lexicon posted:

You're aware that cars can be financed over different length time periods? The guy said the car was 22k, so $900/month => a 2 year term. I'd have amortized it over longer myself if the principal and offered rate remained the same, but this is all orthogonal to whether or not Canada has a housing bubble.

Yeah. Presumably there's much less interest to be paid, so the total amount paid to buy the car will be less than if it were financed over a longer term with a lower payment. If you believe a high payment on a car to reduce the term of the loan is inherently bad, then taking it to its natural conclusion, you would arrive at the idea that buying a car outright (thus paying no interest) is the worst move you could make, which is obvious nonsense.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We were going to pay cash but the 2 year finance was at .99 and our investments do way better than that so they were basically paying us to finance. The rates went up if you paid out longer. The entire interest of the car will be like $200 and we'll be making way more than that on 22k being invested over 2 years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is the best series of posts I've ever seen on why buying new cars can be a humungous waste of money. I'm not saying it's a bad decision for you Baronjutter, but holy poo poo, the motherfuckers who think nothing of plunking down 50k for an impreza sti...gently caress

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

This is the best series of posts I've ever seen on why buying new cars can be a humungous waste of money. I'm not saying it's a bad decision for you Baronjutter, but holy poo poo, the motherfuckers who think nothing of plunking down 50k for an impreza sti...gently caress
My biggest regret of the previous 2-3 years is buying a new car instead of a dealer certified used car.
I "knew" what I was getting into, but the reality of living with frivolous debt hanging around your neck is way worse than any spreadsheet budget can tell.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You're overreacting. With good credit it's not a big deal. I was rear ended this month and had a complete writeoff. I replaced the car with a new VW, so not even the best resale value. By financing they knocked $1500 of the principal and I'm paying 0% over 5 years. I can invest the money from the insurance cheque, pay with inflated dollars down the road, and it is really a no brainer if you have the cashflow.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You're overreacting. With good credit it's not a big deal.
I wonder how much additional house buying power the dude above us in this thread would have if he wasn't dealing with a $900 car payment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We looked to buy used but the Fit holds its value crazy loving well. It like loses maybe 1k a year and it was really hard to find any decent post 2009 ones because no one wants to sell their fits because they are kinda the best. So it was either a new one for 20k or 2010 for 18k. We also wanted to pay cash but when the 0.99 2 year financing was mentioned we jumped on that because debt you're making money on is good debt, we'd be idiots to pay cash and lose the potential interest we could have been making investing that money. That and absolutely no plans to buy anything for at LEAST 2 years, maybe never. We also got a really good full-replacement policy for 7 years.

I mean even if prices here dropped 20-30% suddenly in a huge crash, buying is still kinda crazy. We've basically figured out that unless we win a lottery or something we'll never own a house or townhouse or duplex or anything and we'd be stuck in a lovely wood-frame condo. Who knows, maybe in 5 years we'll be making more money, the market will have crashed or cooled off, and we'll find some rad duplex or row-house we can afford. But for the short term it makes way more sense to keep hobbitin' it here in the basement and think about renting if we can find a nice place for the right price.

I do wish finding rentals was as easy as houses. There's no MLS type thing for rentals, instead there's a bunch of competing lovely mls-like map things for apartments that only ever have a tiny fraction of what's actually available.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 21, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pixelboy posted:

I wonder how much additional house buying power the dude above us in this thread would have if he wasn't dealing with a $900 car payment.

:ughh:

Are you suggesting that one should be prepared to shovel every available cent into an asset class without regard to the value one receives or whether or not the entire country might be getting carried away with pricing? Because it sure sounds like you're saying that.

Here's a contrived, but instructive analogy: suppose I have a $900 car payment but otherwise reasonable monthly cash flow and savings, and one night I am hungry but don't feel like cooking. A pizza shop down the street is selling pizzas for $150. I object to that price, not because I can't afford it per se, but because there is too great a mismatch between the price of the pizza, and what I feel the value to me is. Then you come along and say "think of the additional pizza buying power you'd have if you weren't dealing with a $900 car payment".

See how stupid an attitude that is? It's not any wiser when you replace pizza with property.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pizza prices are only going up man. Buy now or you'll be priced out of the market.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

We looked to buy used but the Fit holds its value crazy loving well. It like loses maybe 1k a year and it was really hard to find any decent post 2009 ones because no one wants to sell their fits because they are kinda the best. So it was either a new one for 20k or 2010 for 18k. We also wanted to pay cash but when the 0.99 2 year financing was mentioned we jumped on that because debt you're making money on is good debt, we'd be idiots to pay cash and lose the potential interest we could have been making investing that money. That and absolutely no plans to buy anything for at LEAST 2 years, maybe never. We also got a really good full-replacement policy for 7 years.

I mean even if prices here dropped 20-30% suddenly in a huge crash, buying is still kinda crazy.

Fits are awesome, and yours will serve you very well, but you are probably being a tad optimistic on depreciation. I bought mine (a 2007 model) in 2010 for $10k. Only now is it in the $1k a year part of the depreciation curve.

But regardless, keep it for a long time. :love: Fits.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Baronjutter posted:

Pizza prices are only going up man. Buy now or you'll be priced out of the market.

People saying that pizza prices are going to crash are just a bunch of scammers trying to get people to throw their money away on single slices!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Number Two Stunna posted:

People saying that pizza prices are going to crash are just a bunch of scammers trying to get people to throw their money away on single slices!

Single slices are available for $3; whole pizzas are $150. "You're throwing your money away on singles, man! Everyone knows it's a better deal in the long run to buy whole"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lexicon posted:

Single slices are available for $3; whole pizzas are $150. "You're throwing your money away on singles, man! Everyone knows it's a better deal in the long run to buy whole"

"By the way would anyone happen to want to buy a slice of my whole?"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Um excuse me, you just screwed up this analogy. You're supposed to give the $3 slices back when you're done with them. Or have them taken away by the owner of the pizza parlour tyvm

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Um excuse me, you just screwed up this analogy. You're supposed to give the $3 slices back when you're done with them. Or have them taken away by the owner of the pizza parlour tyvm

Hah, yeah. I regretted it as soon as I posted it in fact. Consider it withdrawn... the only point about pizzas I need to make is the one where they are expensive and I have a car payment

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Who are you to judge people for choosing to spend income they have on things they want? I'm guessing the people buying STIs brand new know full well what they're getting themselves into and choose to do it anyway. Do you also criticize people for spending their money on nice vacations and going out to restaurants and bars?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Who are you to judge people for choosing to spend income they have on things they want? I'm guessing the people buying STIs brand new know full well what they're getting themselves into and choose to do it anyway. Do you also criticize people for spending their money on nice vacations and going out to restaurants and bars?

Yes I do actually. My judgement is based upon the broad generalization that most Vancouverites are carrying too much debt. We know this because of:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...article4181115/
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/High+student+debt+levels+stress+students+lead+delays+starting+families/8785183/story.html
https://www.vancouversun.com/business/Canadians+going+overboard+consumer+debt+British+Columbians+most+money+with+video/7549887/story.html

Who am I to judge? This isn't about judgement. This is about instrospection. We've been provided with a plethora of examples to what happens when a country's collective consumer debt levels go too high, while real estate markets are in a bubble state. This is also a loving lamentation that we are simply repeating the mistakes that have taken place in the very recent past. When all these motherfuckers gorge out on their credit cards, helocs and pay day loans, everyone's standard of living declines when it comes time to collect and oops, no one could really afford their nice vacations, restaurant and bar bills, and impreza STIs.

You know how else we know this? The median family income in BC is $66k/year. This is family income, meaning two breadwinners. The average non-mortgage debt load per person in BC is $38619.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107a-eng.htm
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/mortgages/Average+mortgage+debt+grows/8478530/story.html

Wait these are just numbers. I have no right to judge. or make any sort of moral argument against profligacy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wait these are just numbers. I have no right to judge. or make any sort of moral argument against profligacy.

How do you know if these people do or don't have the income to afford these things without cutting into savings or going into debt? Carrying high levels of consumer debt is indeed a bad thing, but you don't know for sure that the people buying $50k cars are going massively into debt to pay for them. Presumably, they know what the payments are, know how much will be spent, and know how much they make. If they decide $X/month is an appropriate price to pay for the thing they want, and they can afford to pay it, it's their business.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

We know that on average these people do not have the income to afford these things from the fact that the average person in BC is in (non-mortgage) debt to the tune of their annual salary (as Cultural Imperial posted at the end of his post).

Sure there will be outliers, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of people getting a loan for a $50K car cannot actually afford it.

As for it being "their business": it becomes everybody's business when the economy tanks from the housing bubble bursting, they lose their job / get downsized and suddenly have to default on the ton of debt they could just barely service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

We know that on average these people do not have the income to afford these things from the fact that the average person in BC is in (non-mortgage) debt to the tune of their annual salary (as Cultural Imperial posted at the end of his post).

Sure there will be outliers, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of people getting a loan for a $50K car cannot actually afford it.

As for it being "their business": it becomes everybody's business when the economy tanks from the housing bubble bursting, they lose their job / get downsized and suddenly have to default on the ton of debt they could just barely service.

Is the person making the average salary really the one buying a $50,000 car? If this is a common thing for people making the average salary, I'll concede, but I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that this is truly the case, and no evidence has thus far been presented that it is.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Forget the car. The point I really want to make is that the average debt load per person is too high when you compare it to the median family income. Stop loving spending money you don't have.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Stop buying Impreza STis guys, you're driving up the price to unsustainable levels and now I can't afford one. The government needs to ban foreigners from buying STis and start taxing people who buy them and only drive the speed limit. :negative:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Forget the car. The point I really want to make is that the average debt load per person is too high when you compare it to the median family income. Stop loving spending money you don't have.

That's a great point; however, it has nothing to do with people buying nice cars (or any other luxury goods) provided they can afford them. I took offence to your original post because it sounded like you were angry at people for spending money on nice things.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
Capitalism would probably be pretty stable if you could convince workers to live like acetic monks in the face of staggering wealth inequality.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

That's a great point; however, it has nothing to do with people buying nice cars (or any other luxury goods) provided they can afford them. I took offence to your original post because it sounded like you were angry at people for spending money on nice things.

I don't know, I think it was pretty obvious what he was getting at.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Persona non grata posted:

Capitalism would probably be pretty stable if you could convince workers to live like acetic monks in the face of staggering wealth inequality.

Is it really unreasonable to expect people to live within their means? I feel like I've just asked a whole bunch of you to rub semen on your mother's sheets.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

Is it really unreasonable to expect people to live within their means? I feel like I've just asked a whole bunch of you to rub semen on your mother's sheets.

It is unreasonable to expect someone to work their whole life away making the good life possible for other people, and not be able to enjoy it themselves.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"That shits expensive yo! You sure you can cover it?"

The rallying cry of the over-class when looking down upon the indentured masses. Thanks thread.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 22, 2013

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Persona non grata posted:

It is unreasonable to expect someone to work their whole life away making the good life possible for other people, and not be able to enjoy it themselves.

I don't honestly believe that this is a dichotomy. Clearly the growing wealth gap is a bad thing, but trying to address that with personal debt is a pretty terrible idea. The correct tools for addressing a wealth gap are things like progressive taxation, worker-protective labour laws, government regulation of the housing market, and a living minimum wage. None of those preclude encouraging fiscal responsibility, and being worried about ballooning personal debt does not automatically translate to bootstraps.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Exactly. Whatever your politics, shrugging off massive personal indebtedness seems highly foolish. It's not any kind of solution to whatever you think ails society.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
In case there's any confusion, in no way am I saying that inequality can be solved exclusively with 'personal responsibility'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Part of me is mad at so many idiots getting into crippling debt they have no hope of repaying, but part of me doesn't fully blame them either. We're constantly bombarded with billions of dollars worth of marketing telling us we need to buy X and deserve X. The entire financial industry pushes debt on people. Our society tells us we're entitled to a car and a house. We're working just as hard as our parents did, if not harder, and we're a hell of a lot more productive, why can't we have what they had?

And a lot of it isn't some working class guy buying a super car he can't afford. It's a single mom buying a replacement van for her family because her lovely used astro finally died. It's people (yes even in canada) going into debt for medical reasons or disability. It's loving student debt. It's a new roof on your family house that you can barely pay the rapidly inflating taxes on.

Ban or heavily regulate the entire marketing industry, brutally regulate finance, institute some proper taxation, correctly fund social serives, and THEN you can scoff and look down on idiots crippling them selves with debt. Hell I'd like to see a full on guaranteed income system and a vast government housing system guaranteeing everyone income and housing but I'm a literal communist so what ever.

Also maybe just maybe teach some basic fuckin' personal finance skills in highschool I don't know.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 22, 2013

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Yes I do actually. My judgement is based upon the broad generalization that most Vancouverites are carrying too much debt. We know this because of:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...article4181115/
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/High+student+debt+levels+stress+students+lead+delays+starting+families/8785183/story.html
https://www.vancouversun.com/business/Canadians+going+overboard+consumer+debt+British+Columbians+most+money+with+video/7549887/story.html

Who am I to judge? This isn't about judgement. This is about instrospection. We've been provided with a plethora of examples to what happens when a country's collective consumer debt levels go too high, while real estate markets are in a bubble state. This is also a loving lamentation that we are simply repeating the mistakes that have taken place in the very recent past. When all these motherfuckers gorge out on their credit cards, helocs and pay day loans, everyone's standard of living declines when it comes time to collect and oops, no one could really afford their nice vacations, restaurant and bar bills, and impreza STIs.

You know how else we know this? The median family income in BC is $66k/year. This is family income, meaning two breadwinners. The average non-mortgage debt load per person in BC is $38619.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107a-eng.htm
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/mortgages/Average+mortgage+debt+grows/8478530/story.html

You can't do this. You're comparing a median to an average (mean). Also you can't just compare two unrelated numbers like that and infer some sort of conclusion.

That said, being over-leveraged is a problem but you can't blame the debtors - the problem is that the interest rates are being held artificially low by multiple parties which creates bubbles. But as usual, corruption and greed drives short term decisions with long term consequences.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 22, 2013

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

In case there's any confusion, in no way am I saying that inequality can be solved exclusively with 'personal responsibility'.

You may have mispoken, but you clearly laid the blame on debtors exclusively.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Also maybe just maybe teach some basic fuckin' personal finance skills in highschool I don't know.
Do they still have that Career and Personal Planning course in grades 11 and 12? I remember you needed to have some work experience and I think it showed you how to balance a checkbook (lol). In my time ~ '99 no one took it seriously at all.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do they still have that Career and Personal Planning course in grades 11 and 12? I remember you needed to have some work experience and I think it showed you how to balance a checkbook (lol). In my time ~ '99 no one took it seriously at all.

That course pissed me off because before they implemented it there was a different course you had to take in your choice of grade 10 or 11. I took it in grade 10 to get it overwith then the very next year they introduced CAPP and I had to take that too!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Welp, the end is nigh.

Idiot Realtor posted:

30 Hanson St
Greenwood-Coxwell
Toronto, Ontario
$229,000
For Sale
MLSİ ID: E2718298
1 Bed(s)

Cute And Cozy. Detached Oasis In The Heart Of The City. Cheaper Than A Condo, This Detached Gem Is Steps Away Of The Subway And Minutes From The Beach. The House Comes With Everything Inside And Out. Owner Has Paid For Municipal Water And Sewage To Be Bought To The Property Line. New Owner Will Need Install Bath And Kitchen Fixtures And Connect To The City. Completely Rewired In 1998 With 100 Amp Circuit Breaker Panel.

Extras: Wall Mount Air Conditioner. All Furnishings And Window Coverings
Property Features

Bedroom(s): 1
Kitchen(s): 1
Lot Size: 20.00 x 14.50 Feet
Estimated annual taxes: $168
Tax Year: 2013

Exterior: Shingle
Living style: Bungalow
Property type: Detached
Sewer system: Sewers
Air Conditioning

I suppose, to be fair, that the end is not quite nigh; no one has yet paid almost a quarter-million dollars for a bathroom-less shack on less than 300 square feet of land.

And hey, check out how low the tax bill is! I pay like $4K in Edmonton, and we barely have transit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know tiny houses are a thing but all I can think of when I see the photos is...

"Genuine Little Tikes appliances in great shape! EZ Bake needs replacement heating element."

But you know, prices Can Only Go Up and It Is Different Here Because X. Very very nice find.