Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agatona
Oct 29, 2010

The crane scene was ok and did not bother me.

I disagree that nothing stood out in ASM. ASM has its faults but they were not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the film. All the Spidey scenes where he moves, swings and fights were awesome. IMO, the best so far. The practical web-swinging and other practical effects had a lot to do with this and I am glad they are continuing with this in ASM 2.

I once read a comment in a forum somewhere that they did not like the practical web-swinging because they Spidey should not feel heavy when he is web-swinging. I thought this is stupid comment because Spidey should be affected by gravity when he's web-slinging over the city.

Edited to add: Aside from the Spidey scenes, all the Peter/Gwen scenes are great and very memorable. Gwen as a character is awesome.

agatona fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Well, they made Uncle Ben too stupid to live, and they achieved the impossible by taking a man who transforms into a bloodthirsty megalomaniacal lizard creature and re-imagining him as a generic goomba completely devoid of menace or charisma in either identity.

edit: Were there really that many practical web-swinging shots? I remember a whole lot of CGI.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The cameo fight scene in the library was the most "spider-man-ey" fight scene I've seen in any of the movies.

But I also dom't remember any of the others.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

The cameo fight scene in the library was the most "spider-man-ey" fight scene I've seen in any of the movies.

But I also dom't remember any of the others.

I don't remember any of the fights at all. I slightly remember that he moved a lot like he does in the book, and they attempted to use 3 dimensions in the fights, but nothing seemed to have any real build up or weight or crescendo, so even the action scenes all ran together.

As bad as, say, the "Peter finally gets his powers" scene from the Raimi film looked as far as effects go, I remember it because there was a lot of buildup, the music hit a high point, and it was directed in a way that built up more and more energy as it went on. The same goes for the Ock fighting sequences, etc. I found the reboot's to be technically more proficient, but not nearly as memorable because it was missing the surrounding feeling to make those scenes mean something, or be more than the sum of their parts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

tliil posted:

Then Electro hooks up Peter to a machine that turns his skin black because electricity and he experiences racism and learns a valuable lesson about how skin color doesn't matter, it's who you are inside.

This, for some reason, is incredibly hilarious and I'd actually love for this to happen in some weird way. :v:

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be honest, while the second season is good, it ends on sort of a cliffhanger that is sadly never resolved because Kids WB dying hosed the show over. The first season on the other hand really does have a pretty satisfying ending.

This a loving cartoon in which Tombstone is a good character. This is the show that nails who Flash Thompson is. It is the best adaptation of any Marvel property. :colbert:

According to Greg Weisman's blog, the reason why the show was cancelled is because Sony was given a choice between the movie license or the animation license. Since the movie license is what makes Sony the most money, they chose the movie licensing for Spider-Man.

In order for Marvel to continue the show, they'd have to pay Sony the rights for the music, animation, writing, and even the characters since it's all a Sony property despite being Marvel's character. Greg said that both Disney and Marvel know that fans love the show but Disney is apparently in a rivalry with Sony and would never allow Marvel to pay Sony like that.

Thus, Ultimate Spider-Man was born.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's incredibly boring.

Can you elaborate on this in any way? Because that's a pretty low content shitpost right there.

L_E_E posted:

I disagree that nothing stood out in ASM. All the Spidey scenes where he moves, swings and fights were awesome. IMO, the best so far. The practical web-swinging and other practical effects had a lot to do with this and I am glad they are continuing with this in ASM 2.

I once read a comment in a forum somewhere that they did not like the practical web-swinging because they Spidey should not feel heavy when he is web-swinging. I thought this is stupid comment because Spidey should be affected by gravity when he's web-slinging over the city.

Agreed on everything. A lot stood out for me, even on the re-watch. Watching him master the web lines and learning how to swing on them was something the film handled really well, I felt, and the sense of gravity really added to it. He looked like he was learning how to do it instead of automatically posing for Spiderman posters the first time he even tried.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 21, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

This, for some reason, is incredibly hilarious and I'd actually love for this to happen in some weird way. :v:

Kind of like when the Punisher became black?

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

He looked like he was learning how to do it instead of automatically posing for Spiderman posters the first time he even tried.

Are you saying this is how it was in the first Raimi movie? Because I think you should watch it again if you think that's the case.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Kind of like when the Punisher became black?

Whoa. I need to read this, I think. :v:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Billy Idle posted:

Are you saying this is how it was in the first Raimi movie? Because I think you should watch it again if you think that's the case.

Your right, he face planted a wall, after that he was a pretty drat good web slinger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Billy Idle posted:

I didn't mention the Raimi movies at all. I just said the way they handled the mechanical web shooters and the swinging physics were good in ASM and was agreeing with the guy who posted that he appreciated the sense of gravity and weight.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 21, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

E: double post

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Billy Idle posted:

I know he wasn't comparing anything to the Raimi movies but this is too juicy to ignore. One scene of face-planting a wall is enough to demonstrate a sense of growth and weight? Wow you have low standards.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Raimi movie literally had Tobey Macguire look down at his dick and then do a :raise: like spider-powers made his dick get bigger.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

Raimi movie literally had Tobey Macguire look down at his dick and then do a :raise: like spider-powers made his dick get bigger.

He was looking at his abs. The spider powers made him get ripped as gently caress. If you went straight to spider dick, that's on you. There are real reasons the Raimi movies were not good, and this is not one of them.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

I still like to imagine that, just as he was cumming, he threw the mask on here. Like her eyes were closed, and he was like "heh heh, I know what'll freak her out!" and put it on.
Well, the scene plays as follows:

Aunt May: Are you okay, Peter? Any changes?
Peter looks down. Gives a goofy elastic Tobey Macguire face.
Peter: Oh yeah, BIG CHANGES!

Queue the audience laughing because it's a dick joke. I've run this by a couple of Spider-Man aficionados and they agree with me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've never heard of anyone thinking of that as a dick joke. It seems to be more of a litmus test as to what people were thinking about when they saw those scenes, in that you know a lot of people that are always thinking about dicks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah but he ran it by a couple of Spider-Man aficionados. So. Cased closed.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

The Dave posted:

Yeah but he ran it by a couple of Spider-Man aficionados. So. Cased closed.

I love that. It's like "Yeah in Spiderman Returns issue 23 he looks at his dick for a good long while so this is completely canon".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If he's like actual spiders he wouldn't have to worry about the size of his dick at all. Peter would store his sperm in sack of silk and would insert it discretely into Gwen/MJ while she is distracted by a steak dinner or a huge chocolate cake.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wasn't there a rant or something along the lines of "A scrawny kid, while admiring a girl, is bitten by a radioactive spider. Suddenly, his body starts going though alarming changes. He grows hair in strange places, gains muscle mass, and his body starts producing sticky white fluid. He then starts experimenting to see just HOW he can produce this white stuff, and nervously tells his aunt to go away when she knocks on the door.

When his aunt and uncle gets suspicious, his uncle traps him in the car and gives him a little talk, even saying that this is the point where boys become the men they will be for the rest of their lives. For the rest of the comic, Peter struggles to find his identity and makes many decisions he regrets, as boys going through puberty inevitably do."

Basically, Spider-man can't avoid being jokes about dicks and semen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a deleted scene where he shoots spiders out of his dick or something?

A dick joke? Seriously? Are you twelve?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

Rhyno posted:

A dick joke? Seriously? Are you twelve?
I love that your first reaction is to imply that I'm not mature enough to appreciate Spider-Man, a property which is primarily for kids.

Not much of a stretch to have immature humor in a comic book movie. Or do you think they make those action figures for adults too? I like having a serious discussion about comic book movies, but come on, they are inherently silly.

Wade Wilson posted:

Basically, Spider-man can't avoid being jokes about dicks and semen.
Pretty much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

casa de mi padre posted:

I love that your first reaction is to imply that I'm not mature enough to appreciate Spider-Man, a property which is primarily for kids.

Comic books haven't been aimed at children in nearly 20 years but nice try dude.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is not one of those times.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah the whole waking up wrapped up in layers of silk and then admiring his body in the mirror was pretty dick related to me.

Don't see how that is a terrible thing considering Peter's early days are generally when he is going through highschool and experiencing all the changes that puberty brings.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There's a difference between an allegory and a dick joke.

And puberty is not about your dick getting bigger; it's about hair growth or nocturnal emissions (which is what the joke/allegory would be about).

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Comic books haven't been aimed at children in nearly 20 years but nice try dude.
Who knew that when I was reading X-Men comics at five years old that I was actually reading at a college level.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

casa de mi padre posted:

Who knew that when I was reading X-Men comics at five years old that I was actually reading at a college level.

Just because a 5 year old reads comic books doesn't mean they're aimed at them. Outside of a few select titles that are specifically marketed to kids (which mostly have failed since kids don't read comics), comics are marketed to people with their own disposable income, basically the male 20-something and up demographic. A 10 year old kid isn't going to blow $4 on a single comic book.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I know he wasn't comparing anything to the Raimi movies but this is too juicy to ignore. One scene of face-planting a wall is enough to demonstrate a sense of growth and weight? Wow you have low standards.

No, if you actually watched the movie again you'd see that he flails around and generally just barely manages to go in the proper direction when he's chasing Uncle Ben's killer and really web-swinging for the first time. I'm sorry for assuming he was comparing it to the Raimi movies but in my defense that wasn't really a huge leap on my part given the way he phrased it and the context of these discussions.

Thanks for the needless insult, though, that was real juicy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I watched Darkman for the first time recently and it transpires I'm an idiot for not watching it sooner. I thought it would make me appreciate the Raimi Spidermens more but now I just dislike them for sitting in a weird place where they're not quite camp enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Billy Idle posted:

No, if you actually watched the movie again you'd see that he flails around and generally just barely manages to go in the proper direction when he's chasing Uncle Ben's killer and really web-swinging for the first time. I'm sorry for assuming he was comparing it to the Raimi movies but in my defense that wasn't really a huge leap on my part given the way he phrased it and the context of these discussions.

Thanks for the needless insult, though, that was real juicy.

You're welcome.

Oh, and he flails for maybe two swings before pulling dynamite maneuvers that rival most of what he does as Spider-man later. Remember the flipping onto the car? The taunting in the warehouse where he descends like an upside-down spider and then retreats into the shadow like his line is retracting? That's real amateur stuff as a webslinger, yeah. At least in ASM they got that poo poo out of the way as part of a montage instead of trying to merge it into an action sequence.

In other news I finally got around to watching Spectacular Spider-man as I have some free time, and whoever said it was the Batman: The Animated Series of Spider-Man cartoons really wasn't joking. There's a lot I'm not in love with, namely because it's a kid's show and I can't pretend I'm not an adult when I watch it, but it really is a fantastic streamlining of the best parts of Spider-man over the years. You want to know what really captured the essence of 60s Spider-man? It wasn't the Raimi flicks, they're too much a product of Raimi's style. It was this cartoon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just because a 5 year old reads comic books doesn't mean they're aimed at them. Outside of a few select titles that are specifically marketed to kids (which mostly have failed since kids don't read comics), comics are marketed to people with their own disposable income, basically the male 20-something and up demographic. A 10 year old kid isn't going to blow $4 on a single comic book.

That's why they made 25 cent bins.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

About the Raimi film and radioactive spider-bites giving people ripped abs - I actually disliked this part but since I was really excited to see Spidey on the big screen for the first time, I didn't let it bother me too much. I just thought that if anyone who knew Parker should have noticed him suddenly bulking up within such a short amount of time and they'd probably wonder if Parker is using steroids.

I prefer the way ASM handled Parker's change. How can anyone say the bathroom scene or the train scene is boring or forgettable? It is more amazing to see a skinny kid beating up giant villains.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

L_E_E posted:

I prefer the way ASM handled Parker's change. How can anyone say the bathroom scene or the train scene is boring or forgettable? It is more amazing to see a skinny kid beating up giant villains.

Was the bathroom scene like the Wolverine X men Origins scene where he messed it up because he was just discovering his powers? If so, that explains why I don't remember it (because I don't).

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Darko posted:

Was the bathroom scene like the Wolverine X men Origins scene where he messed it up because he was just discovering his powers? If so, that explains why I don't remember it (because I don't).

He woke up the next morning, went to brush his teeth, and destroyed the sink through a mix of super-strength and sticking to everything. So a little like the Wolverine scene, except actually funny.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tripwyre posted:

He woke up the next morning, went to brush his teeth, and destroyed the sink through a mix of super-strength and sticking to everything. So a little like the Wolverine scene, except actually funny.

The Wolverine scene will always stand out more to me because I saw the workprint with the stand-in claws and Batman Begins music, making it hilarious. Although, apparently, the CG ones weren't much better.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Tripwyre posted:

It actually started with Parker smashing his alarm clock. From this scene until the keyboards sticking to his fingers were very enjoyable to watch. Whenever I rewatch ASM, I always have to watch these scenes more than once. Plus the train scenes.

There was a bathroom scene in the Wolverine movie? It's been a long time since I've watched this movie. I don't think I ever watched it again after seeing it in the theater once. I do remember liking Ryan Reynolds before he turned zombie and disliking Gambit.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Darko posted:

There's a difference between an allegory and a dick joke.

And puberty is not about your dick getting bigger; it's about hair growth or nocturnal emissions (which is what the joke/allegory would be about).

Um... puberty definitely includes some significant development down there as well as the things you listed.

EDIT:

Rewatching the scene in question, it doesn't make any sense that it would be a dick joke since he woke up wearing pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm4BxQen6SM

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

Um... puberty definitely includes some significant development down there as well as the things you listed.

On a technical level but it's not a public-association factor like breasts enlarging with women. The jokes about puberty with males are about voice+balls/hair/first wet dreams (partially because the size comes after the initial onset in general).

• Locked thread