Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There was a thread about it. It's not a very good article, but it does have a nonpartisan kernel of truth in it. Saying that late stage capitalism breeds socially irrelevant jobs and ennui isn't a particularly left wing or right wing statement. Especially when your political lens allows you to define bullshit jobs as "nosy lazy government regulators" or "nepotistic useless venture capitalists".

Right but near the end he starts to hit a lot of right-wing trigger words and they still liked the article. I feel like that says a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

When one of the deputies identified themselves as law enforcement, the armed man screamed back “you aren’t taking my weapons.”

Fortunately, this incident did not descend into bloodshed, and the man who challenged the deputies — a member of the Arizona Minuteman vigilante movement named Richard Malley — was arrested for aggravated assault. He is now out on $10,000 bail.

But I thought they weren't taking his weapons? :allears:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Right but near the end he starts to hit a lot of right-wing trigger words and they still liked the article. I feel like that says a lot.

They probably didn't read the article beyond skimming enough to get the idea "some jobs that exist today shouldn't exist" and agreed with that.

I mean I appreciate your optimism, but you don't live to be an older conservative through careful introspection and meticulous reading.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

But I thought they weren't taking his weapons? :allears:

As a felon, he will no longer be able to buy guns. He'll still have them though, because america!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There was a thread about it. It's not a very good article, but it does have a nonpartisan kernel of truth in it. Saying that late stage capitalism breeds socially irrelevant jobs and ennui isn't a particularly left wing or right wing statement. Especially when your political lens allows you to define bullshit jobs as "nosy lazy government regulators" or "nepotistic useless venture capitalists".
I think its more of a money = effort approach. I teach and my district is always hiring or paying someone to do something. Which means write a report and twist some stats to reflect progress towards some already bullshit metric that no one cares about. Like we have a bunch of people who manage poo poo that a bunch of other people manage too but they are dedicated to it though because the (insert governing body) is investing in (insert broad goal) so they needed an (insert advisor/manager/consultant/facilitator). I don't care if people have jobs because that is a good thing but just hire people do work that needs to be done instead of creating this bubble of employment that gets popped next budget or class of ever shifting managers that transition from one bullshit initiative to another.

edit: Case and point, there are at least 20+ people working "Career Development". What does this mean? Get kids internships, apprenceships, and job shadowing. Everyone has that responsibility within the positions of Career Development Coordinators (one per school), Career Development district jobs (2 or so people), and now the county has hire Career Development liaisons (5 or 6) or whatever. The major industries we have are finance and tourism. Now, how many people need to call the same 10 companies and talk to the same 15 schools?

Why does this matter? Because the state and fed has set aside money. So instead of using the money on a thing, they pay a salary.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

It's like they ran into a huge mirror in the middle of the desert and then threatened to kill their reflections.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

It's like they ran into a huge mirror in the middle of the desert and then threatened to kill their reflections.

Good for them they're at least a little bit smarter than parrots.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

I'm certain that Arpaio's deputies identified with this guy as being "on our side" and that is the only reason they showed any restraint from turning him into a fine red mist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sir Tonk posted:

I am so sad that didn't end full Reservoir Dogs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Kilty Monroe posted:

I'm certain that Arpaio's deputies identified with this guy as being "on our side" and that is the only reason they showed any restraint from turning him into a fine red mist.

Luckily Arpaio and crew know that, when under duress, the minuteman border patrol species of nutjob will exude a shrill and panicked "YOU'RE NOT TAKING MY GUNS!!!!" call as an automatic defense mechanism to alert the pack that they have come into contact with non mexicans.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well the police are from the government...

I'm surprised that there's been no language referring to the vigilante border patrol as "one of the good ones".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

The funniest part is that the armed guys in camo are so paranoid and delusional that they were ready to threaten literally anyone who wasn't part of their little racist vigilante militia. Drug dealers, illegal immigrants, and police officers are all equal threats to them. :freep:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The funniest part is that the armed guys in camo are so paranoid and delusional that they were ready to threaten literally anyone who wasn't part of their little racist vigilante militia. Drug dealers, illegal immigrants, and police officers are all equal threats to them. :freep:

When you're out in the desert shooting people as a hobby I don't think there's anyone who isn't a threat to you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess I'll put this here.

I was out earlier but didn't have a camera on me and saw a pick up truck parked at my grocery store that had the second amendment printed on the rear window, the way you'll see sharks, football teams and U.S, flags and poo poo sometimes done. Like this:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mROO75VgbAmtzo1ZPSeQpMg.jpg
It costs around $150 to get that done. This gun thing kills me. There are loving guns everywhere. Stores can't keep them in stock. No one is trying to take away guns.

They must be getting the idea that they are from right wing media.

edit:

image leaching. My fault.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 22, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
drat, "Where's the outrage over Chris Lane, Obama/Al Sharpton/the media?!" is pretty much every show on Fox now, isn't it?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess I'll put this here.

I was out earlier but didn't have a camera on me and saw a pick up truck parked at my grocery store that had the second amendment printed on the rear window, the way you'll see sharks, football teams and U.S, flags and poo poo sometimes done. Like this:

It costs around $150 to get that done. This gun thing kills me. There are loving guns everywhere. Stores can't keep them in stock. No one is trying to take away guns.

They must be getting the idea that they are from right wing media.

Duh. It' my belief that the NRA has surpassed the AARP in pure political power do to their fear-mongering. The AARP just isn't selling suspicion and race-baiting enough. I wouldn't be suprised if they are also encouraging the "false flag" accusations just to get people to buy more stupid poo poo from them.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

BiggerBoat posted:

I was out earlier but didn't have a camera on me and saw a pick up truck parked at my grocery store that had the second amendment printed on the rear window, the way you'll see sharks, football teams and U.S, flags and poo poo sometimes done.

I saw my favorite one of those about a decade ago. The person drove an old Porsche, and their entire back glass was covered in a politely phrased warning that in the event of the rapture, the persons inside would be called to heaven and the vehicle would go uncontrolled for wont of a driver.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PrinceRandom posted:

Duh. It' my belief that the NRA has surpassed the AARP in pure political power do to their fear-mongering. The AARP just isn't selling suspicion and race-baiting enough. I wouldn't be suprised if they are also encouraging the "false flag" accusations just to get people to buy more stupid poo poo from them.

They literally sent out a flyer to their members saying that it's imperative to buy guns because Obama didn't do anything about guns in his first term which means he's been saving it this whole time for his second term. They were scaring their members with the fact that NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. After that they could put false flag screeds on their dinner napkins and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Then of course they were vindicated when Obama did come out with strong support for gun control after some thing happened with a school and some guns, giving him an excuse to come after their guns (re: say some things and get absolutely nothing done at all).

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 22, 2013

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

How long has "Post Abortion Survivor Syndrome" been an argument point against abortion? It's probably the stupidest one there is. I saw on FOX a little while ago that they were talking about those three teenagers that killed a jogger, and one guest on the show cited this as a reason for their poor mental health, because the fact that they could have been aborted brings them mental stress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm guessing that's the same guest that comes on and diagnoses Obama with gayness, rage and/or complete insanity based on video clips and word choices?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Got a doozy from Whalid No Really I Used to be A Terrorist Stop Laughing Shoebat:

quote:

Egyptian government and mainstream media has reported a major development regarding the role of Barack Obama’s brother (presumably, his half-brother Malik Obama) with the Muslim Brotherhood. As we have reported before, Malik is a member of the Islamic Da’wa Organization (IDO), an arm of the Sudanese government, which is led by President Omar al-Bashir, who is himself a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.
These facts would lend credibility to the following claims from Egypt. It is also important to note that August 25th is a very key date in Egypt; it is when imprisoned Muslim Brotherhood leaders go on trial there.
The former Chancellor of the Constitutional Court of Egypt and current adviser, Tahani Al-Jebali stated that the reason the United States cannot fight the international organization of the Muslim Brotherhood is because the brother of U.S. President Barack Obama is the architect of the investments for the international organization of the Muslim Brotherhood.

http://shoebat.com/2013/08/19/egyptian-official-ties-obamas-brother-to-brotherhood/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Danyull posted:

How long has "Post Abortion Survivor Syndrome" been an argument point against abortion? It's probably the stupidest one there is. I saw on FOX a little while ago that they were talking about those three teenagers that killed a jogger, and one guest on the show cited this as a reason for their poor mental health, because the fact that they could have been aborted brings them mental stress.

I'm going to assume it's pseudoscientific bullshit like when the Soviets were using "slow-onset schizophrenia" as an excuse to imprison people that disagreed with them.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm guessing that's the same guest that comes on and diagnoses Obama with gayness, rage and/or complete insanity based on video clips and word choices?

It was some fat woman who runs a Christian media group, I can't remember the name right now.

Danyull fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 22, 2013

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I heard a radio ad about investing in medical maruajua sales/tracking systems on FM95.5 today (Atlanta's talk radio Rush/Hannity station). This really threw me off because I thought all drugs were the scourge of the earth, especially that Devil-weed. Unless it's a great investment opportunity.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr Christmas posted:

drat, "Where's the outrage over Chris Lane, Obama/Al Sharpton/the media?!" is pretty much every show on Fox now, isn't it?

Well, yesterday, Rush devoted an entire segment to how those two teenage kids who shot the Australian guy out of "boredom" loved rap and posted violent rappers and poo poo on their Facebook pages. The mainstream media (excuse me, "drive-by media") is too cowardly to report this and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are too scared to say anything, apparently.

So not only are we all the way back to Marilyn Manson and Columbine (and KISS and Judas Priest and Ozzie and NWA and Elvis and Alice Cooper and The Beatles and the Stones, etc.), where we blame music for the lovely behavior of teens, we're also back to the point where "no black leaders denounce violent rap music". But they do, Rush. All the time.

The dog whistling in that segment was deafening and Rush assured us "they weren't listening to right wing radio", which could never have an effect on anyone I guess. Only rap, hip hop, metal and certain rock bands can do that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
All of the "LOOK LOOK BLACK ON WHITE CRIME WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE ZIMMERMAN ZIMMERMAN FERAL THUGS" poo poo just shows how badly these people do not loving get it in any way, shape, or form. It's so frustrating because the difference is so god damned obvious.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I try to flip it on the wingnuts I talk to: "wait, you mean you weren't outraged that an adult could shoot a child and get away with it?" Take race out of the equation and watch them shame themselves by trying to dog-whistle it back in.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Last time I tried that I got "Trayvon wasn't a child he was a grown man and a thug" with no shame at all :negative:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

BiggerBoat posted:

"they weren't listening to right wing radio"

Zimmerman was and after he killed somebody he got invited to a nationally televised Hann job.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

KKKLIP ART posted:

I heard a radio ad about investing in medical maruajua sales/tracking systems on FM95.5 today (Atlanta's talk radio Rush/Hannity station). This really threw me off because I thought all drugs were the scourge of the earth, especially that Devil-weed. Unless it's a great investment opportunity.

I heard that too. I thought it was a local ad (up here in Seattle).

One of the most blatant pump and dumps I've seen.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Magres posted:

All of the "LOOK LOOK BLACK ON WHITE CRIME WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE ZIMMERMAN ZIMMERMAN FERAL THUGS" poo poo just shows how badly these people do not loving get it in any way, shape, or form. It's so frustrating because the difference is so god damned obvious.

I saw a Facebook thing going around about a black kid that killed a white toddler and he was going to jail for less than a life sentence because he was a minor, and this was more of an outrage than the white killer not going to jail at all.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Danyull posted:

That is appallingly stupid. I'm seriously unnerved that someone could actually go on TV and say something like that and people will be nodding their heads vigorously at it and bringing it up at parties and poo poo like its a real thing. Post Abortion Survivor Syndrome, jesus.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Zimmerman was and after he killed somebody he got invited to a nationally televised Hann job.

I think him going on Hannity and making this a culture war saved his creepy rear end skin.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Magres posted:

"That poor white Australian boy got Trayvoned by those urban feral youths and the media just won't talk about it." -Freep

This story is literally Drudge's perfect link. He's been obsessed with black on white crime for years and this has everything he's ever wanted in it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Looks like the Koches won't buy the LA Times and Chicago Tribune :toot:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/08/koch-brothers-will-not-buy-tribune-papers-171043.html

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
I remember an awful Tom Clancy book about neonazis recruiting kids with racebaiting messages on video game "controllers" (it was the early 90s I think). The modern equivalent would probably just be Drudge loaded up on splash screen.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

"That poor white Australian boy got Trayvoned by those urban feral youths and the media just won't talk about it." -Freep

This story is literally Drudge's perfect link. He's been obsessed with black on white crime for years and this has everything he's ever wanted in it.

I blame conservatives for Duncan, OK, for making red-state rural towns such terrible places to grow up. Seriously the kids in these places are just dangerously, pathologically bored and made of anomie. It's the old South, but everywhere. If it's being undercovered, it's because the Australian media is totally preoccupied with their federal election in a few weeks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Let's check and see what the FRC is worked up with now

quote:

The U.S. Armed Forces are facing a threat to their ability to defend this country as serious as any since Pearl Harbor. But this one comes from their own Commander-in-Chief.

In January 2013, the Obama administration announced its intention to assign women to ground combat units. This decision to violate a virtually universal principle of military practice represents America's craven military leadership's unconditional surrender to the political forces of radical feminism. The implications for U.S. national security are sobering.

Robert L. Maginnis, a military analyst and retired lieutenant colonel, shows how the decision to put women in combat contradicts centuries of military experience, medical science, and common sense. It is the result of feminist ideology run amok.

Addressing all the familiar arguments for putting women in combat, Colonel Maginnis shows clearly and convincingly that none of them can withstand scrutiny. In Deadly Consequences, you'll learn:

Why only a tiny fraction of military women are interested in combat duty
How our government arrived at a policy that only a few years ago was unthinkable
Why the Pentagon's assurances that military readiness will not be compromised are laughably implausible
Why the generals and admirals responsible for facing down America's global enemies surrendered to politically influential feminist ideologues without a fight
About the horrifying reality of ground combat and its extraordinary physical demands, even in an age of mechanized warfare
How physical standards for front-line combat duty will be dangerously compromised
Why America's young women are certain to be subjected to the draft

The people who are pushing women into combat fall into three categories -- feminists for whom military effectiveness is less important than ideology, egalitarians who are ignorant of the realities of direct ground combat, and cowards who know better but won't risk their careers by speaking up. They all have one thing in common, however -- they are complicit in the real "war against women."

There is only a little time left for Americans to wake up. What kind of country sends its women into combat? Are we that kind of country?

ROBERT L. MAGINNIS, a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, retired from the Army with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He works as a contractor on security cooperation policy, strategy, and training for the Department of the Army and has served as a military analyst for Fox News. Maginnis lives with his wife in northern Virginia.

I know FRC is full of assholes who hate gays but now women troops? These quotes are mind bogglingly misogynistic and sexist as hell.

The subtitle of the book is "How Cowards are Pushing Women into Combat"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 22, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Let's check and see what the FRC is worked up with now

I know FRC is full of assholes who hate gays but now women troops? These quotes are mind bogglingly misogynistic and sexist as hell.

gently caress you, FRC. Sci-fi authors are pretty much unanimous on this point. Co-ed military is a giant step forward for society and you are society's rotting appendix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But women are fragile, demure creatures that must be kept at home, as pets, and protected like the weak things they are. This is why they shouldn't vote or make decisions about their bodies, they need a big strong man doing that for them.