Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just got the main mission to save Johnny Gat. How far am I into the game, story mission-wise?

Well, that depends. Is your mission on an airplane or not? Because if not, that's the last recruitment mission, and you'll be starting the 'endgame' right after. That endgame is long though.. If it is, well... you'll find out soon enough.

Does anyone else feel like the Notoriety enemies feel a bit anemic? There are just too few of them for real brawling, and with post-endgame superpowers, they escalate too fast to continue having wrestling matches with aliens. Does raising the difficulty add more bad guys? I want to get mobs of people trying to kill me so that my stomps send 10+ bad guys flying ala the territory control and story missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
I'm sorry but the President forgot her pants today.

This game is so great. The first car I hijacked had 3 girls having sex in it and they continued when I didn't stop to let them out. It was so weird. (No animation just sound)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nyagato posted:

This game is so great. The first car I hijacked had 3 girls having sex in it and they continued when I didn't stop to let them out. It was so weird. (No animation just sound)

Forget everything that has ever been said, there is now officially a very good reason to use cars in this game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
During King's loyalty mission, does anything change if you do it as a guy? That's one where I think being a female works a bit better, although a guy would be funnier.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Nyagato posted:

:wtc:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

J Detan posted:

Hey, quick followup on the "stuck on a loading screen for all eternity" issue: the folder WAS read only, and changing it fixed the issue, so thanks to whoever suggested that!
I'm stuck here now. When I try to enter the office on the "get Keith David" mission, the loading screen appears and never goes away. I can't finish the game unless there's a fix that works.

I went through and made sure nothing under my Steam folder was read-only, but it's still happening.

Edit: Steam version, yes I verified local cache. Didn't fix the problem.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 22, 2013

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

During King's loyalty mission, does anything change if you do it as a guy? That's one where I think being a female works a bit better, although a guy would be funnier.

If you're a woman then you miss out on this:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

In Saints Row the Third, John from Delocated gets up your rear end about playing video games.

In Saints Row IV, the Boss (at least Laura Bailey's the Boss) gets up your rear end about not playing video games.

:allears:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Who cares, nothing in the simulation is real except for you and (some of) your homies. This is actually the perfect justification/handwaving of insane arbitrary property damage IMO.

It's really goddamn annoying in M.O.M though because when you sprint to the next target area everything you need to grab is just sent flying everywhere.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Oh great, now I'm getting the Keith audio log on game startup bug too.

Also, when I loaded in Keith was standing guard at the doorway I spawned at, but in his pre-superpower outfit even though I beat his get-superpowers mission and then about 30 seconds later Keith decided to be my homie without me pressing the recruit button :psyduck:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Icedude posted:

Oh great, now I'm getting the Keith audio log on game startup bug too.

Also, when I loaded in Keith was standing guard at the doorway I spawned at, but in his pre-superpower outfit even though I beat his get-superpowers mission and then about 30 seconds later Keith decided to be my homie without me pressing the recruit button :psyduck:

Keith David has become self-aware!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pylons posted:

It's really goddamn annoying in M.O.M though because when you sprint to the next target area everything you need to grab is just sent flying everywhere.

Could you leap over there instead of sprinting? Or just leap the last bit so you don't vacuum up everything?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I wonder if we'll be able to change the lockout on weapons when you jump. I get why you couldn't shoot while running when jumping was pretty much only for hurdling obstacles, it seems like an oversight that I can't pour fire down upon the head of the warden I'm following onto a rooftop.

I wonder if that's something we'll be able to mod. I would really like to be able to glide over dudes and still be able to aim and fire. Or charge the dubstep gun on the way towards landing and have the landing not interrupt it's firing.

At least they got letting you fire powers while blasting wubs right. Dubstep gun plus ice blast absolutely murders every virus injection ever.

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

WarLocke posted:

Who cares, nothing in the simulation is real except for you and (some of) your homies. This is actually the perfect justification/handwaving of insane arbitrary property damage IMO.

I'm not so sure about this.

Judging by the dialogue in Genki's MOM it sounds as if the announcers are actually plugged into the simulation, and they imply Genki is as well. CID has been trapped in the simulation for a very long time and somehow has ended up in yours, he is definitely real, if dead

Also the audio logs imply that The Simulation is an interconnected web of nightmare realities. I wonder whether or not some of the randoms in your simulation are actually fellow abductees. Near the start Kinzie suggests that Zinyak has abducted a huge number of people, and in a homie dialogue with real Shaundi she references the possibility that a large proportion of the simulation pods (which we see lots and lots of in the real world) could be humans

Lastly, the fact that disrupting virtual steelport seems to have an appreciable effect on the simulation as a whole makes as if it is more central to the network than small portions like those in the recruitment missions, which presumably are shut down once the prisoners escape, and don't seem to have a detrimental effect on the overall system.

Mostly I just really really want the random peds and cops to be people so that killing them feels more naughty. Adam Sessler's review where he talked about Simulacrum may have gotten to me a little.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Dubstep gun plus ice blast absolutely murders every virus injection goddamn thing ever.

Why yes I agree.

The only bad thing about the Dubstep gun: you have to stop shooting and visit a Friendly Fire to switch tracks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Man, the driving physics in this game feel loving great, perhaps the best in a sandbox game that I played. It's a shame most people won't experience it properly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Common Sensei posted:

Judging by the dialogue in Genki's MOM it sounds as if the announcers are actually plugged into the simulation, and they imply Genki is as well. CID has been trapped in the simulation for a very long time and somehow has ended up in yours, he is definitely real, if dead

Also the audio logs imply that The Simulation is an interconnected web of nightmare realities. I wonder whether or not some of the randoms in your simulation are actually fellow abductees. Near the start Kinzie suggests that Zinyak has abducted a huge number of people, and in a homie dialogue with real Shaundi she references the possibility that a large proportion of the simulation pods (which we see lots and lots of in the real world) could be humans

Lastly, the fact that disrupting virtual steelport seems to have an appreciable effect on the simulation as a whole makes as if it is more central to the network than small portions like those in the recruitment missions, which presumably are shut down once the prisoners escape, and don't seem to have a detrimental effect on the overall system.

Mostly I just really really want the random peds and cops to be people so that killing them feels more naughty. Adam Sessler's review where he talked about Simulacrum may have gotten to me a little.

The game repeatedly states outright that your dudes are the last humans alive, even after the pod thing. I'm also glad they went this way because it makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

Man, the driving physics in this game feel loving great, perhaps the best in a sandbox game that I played. It's a shame most people won't experience it properly.

They seem to be much the same as they were in 3, so people who played that would.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Common Sensei posted:

While I generally agreed with Sessler's thoughts on the game, the thing about simulacrum was interesting to me. While it does distance you somewhat from the usual pang of conscience associated with random slaughter of innocents in a videogame, it simultaneously freed me psychologically to treat the game as more of a playground. Being Superman is fun, but being Superman and allowed to complete cut loose with no moral consequence? That's awesome, at least in a game like this.

Sociopath? I prefer 'Puckish rogue'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Common Sensei posted:

I just took it as Virtua-Steelport being the Boss's personal simulation. Each and every other person in a pod would get their own simulation, although the majority wouldn't be as large and/or complex. Zinyak is obviously allocating more resources to the Boss as a pet project.

I haven't actually done any rescue/recruitment missions yet (Matt Miller's is next for me) so maybe that all falls apart; we'll see I guess.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Oh god. I've just gotten to Gat's recruitment mission. It's amazing the thing that is happening right now. :qfg:

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is my biggest nitpick so far. I've always loved driving in this series but the superpowers make it so much fun to just whiz around like a loon that a lot of the street level action such as driving is forgotten about. I'm trying to occasionally restrict myself to driving around in cars but I just see some clusters on top of a building and I just have to fly after them.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

The Saints throw the words "There's only us/a handful of humans/10 of us left" a lot, but they also confirm the Zin ship is full of matrix pods. I'd also go with the Boss being a pet project, but there were a lot of abductees and every simulation has access to/from broken shilelagh, apparently. So, to save some HDD space, Zinyak might've put some people in Boss' simulation.

Frankly, being confronted by a superpowered sociopath puckish rogue might be the worst nightmare for a lot of people.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
The warden shows up way too quick in my opinion, and it's annoying that no other enemies spawn when he's around. It seems like post-game all I have to do is shoot a couple of guys and blow up one of those rolly guys or explode a ufo. It really takes some of the fun out of rampaging through the city especially since I'm trying to rack up those challenges where you have to kill hundreds of guys. Beating the game I only got to the 500 out of 1000 kill mark. Is there a rampage that is just filled with zin so I can get through it quicker?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Musluk posted:

The Saints throw the words "There's only us/a handful of humans/10 of us left" a lot, but they also confirm the Zin ship is full of matrix pods. I'd also go with the Boss being a pet project, but there were a lot of abductees and every simulation has access to/from broken shilelagh, apparently. So, to save some HDD space, Zinyak might've put some people in Boss' simulation.

Frankly, being confronted by a superpowered sociopath puckish rogue might be the worst nightmare for a lot of people.

Zinyak takes people from every world he destroys, not just Earth, and he's destroyed a lot of worlds.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Faltion posted:

The warden shows up way too quick in my opinion, and it's annoying that no other enemies spawn when he's around. It seems like post-game all I have to do is shoot a couple of guys and blow up one of those rolly guys or explode a ufo. It really takes some of the fun out of rampaging through the city especially since I'm trying to rack up those challenges where you have to kill hundreds of guys. Beating the game I only got to the 500 out of 1000 kill mark. Is there a rampage that is just filled with zin so I can get through it quicker?

Yeah, I really wish the nowardens cheat didn't disable achievements. The wardens aren't a BAD idea but they were implemented terribly, I think. It would be cool if they just started spawning normally at max notoriety along with everything else. Making them wipe notoriety was completely unnecessary with the golden orbs around.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Faltion posted:

If you're having trouble with wardens, just roll with a maxed-out Dubstep gun fire ammo buff. Easy peasy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Faltion posted:

How can you have beaten the game and have this number be so low? I'm at the point in the story where I'm just about to start the rescue for Matt and I've got to have about 600 kills under my belt.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I don't know, I was really efficient during missions or something. Checking the total again I guess I popped the 500 mark during the key so I was closer than that by the end.

Wardens really aren't hard to kill, I have most of my guns max upgraded. It's just that fighting one every couple of minutes gets annoying.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm stuck here now. When I try to enter the office on the "get Keith David" mission, the loading screen appears and never goes away. I can't finish the game unless there's a fix that works.

I went through and made sure nothing under my Steam folder was read-only, but it's still happening.

Edit: Steam version, yes I verified local cache. Didn't fix the problem.

I've got this same issue, it's really disheartening not being able to continue so I hope someone else has a fix for this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Zinyak takes people from every world he destroys, not just Earth, and he's destroyed a lot of worlds.

Is the why of this explained in-game or is it just another meta joke along the lines of the fiction it's from?

(Specifically, do we find out WHY Zinyak puts people in pods, or is it another joke at the Matrix's expense, since it made no loving sense their either)?)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

If you're having trouble with wardens anything, just roll with a maxed-out Dubstep gun fire ammo buff. Easy peasy.

Fixed for you.

The Dubstep gun was pretty much my solution to any problem. Gang members? Dubstep gun. Aliens? Dubstep gun. Enemy vehicles? Dubstep gun. Wardens? Dubstep gun. The Dubstep gun is amazing once it's fully upgraded.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

WarLocke posted:

Is the why of this explained in-game or is it just another meta joke along the lines of the fiction it's from?

(Specifically, do we find out WHY Zinyak puts people in pods, or is it another joke at the Matrix's expense, since it made no loving sense their either)?)

If you go through Zinyak's backstory text adventure thing, it says that he finds it much more satisfying to keep/torment/break people than simply destroy them. The simulation is a good/fun way to do that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

I think that is Zinyak disrespecting the cream of the crop of the worlds he conquers. Those who oppose him gets stuck in a simulation of their nightmares for all eternity.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Okay, so I've recruited everyone, I think, and I'm stuck on a mission where The Zin find you and you have to escape in a car, but I can't figure out how to protect the car! One rockets hits the Genkimobile and the drat thing explodes almost instantly. Am I missing something obvious here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

The text adventure basically reveals that Zinyak does it because he likes to break his enemies instead of just kill them, and he picks the cream of the crop because they're the most fun to break.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If the text adventure is true, earth is a lot more significant to Zinyak, gently caress the whole Zin empire than alien warrior tribe planet #2148. It stands to reason for Zinyak to abduct a shitload of humans. He did clone/abduct Jane Austen after all.

But who the gently caress cares, Zinyak got fatalitied and now Saints have access to a weird time machine. They can probably do something about Earth, ultimately.

Edit: What the hell, where'd those misquotes come from?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr E posted:

Holy poo poo, I love that you get the exact same outfit as Mr. President that you do as Ms. President. Even down to the same patterned thong.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nyagato posted:

I'm sorry but the President forgot her pants today.

When I imported my SR3 Boss I didn't realize that the pants weren't available and ended up struttin around the White House half naked in a tube top. :kiddo:

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Mr E posted:

In the same kinda lategame picture spoiler idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

:allears:

• Locked thread