Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I was under the impression that Lost Legends is going to be FRP-deckbuilder and it turns out it is FRP-Seven Wonders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tfwPTq6F4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ordered Small World, Dominion, and Pandemic

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Is Police Precinct good (and also relatively easy for people to learn)? I have to host a party for the rest of the criminal justice department I teach at, and I was looking for something accessible.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ropes4u posted:

Please keep us updated on their shipping status as well.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Please keep us updated on their shipping status as well.

I get it, but I was pretty excited :)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Ropes4u posted:

Next order should be all the expansions for these :getin:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ropes4u posted:

I get it, but I was pretty excited :)

I hear ya. Tell us about playing them instead, dammit!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Next order should be all the expansions for these :getin:

You may think Dre2Dee2 is joking, but these are all (Small World, Dominion, Pandemic) excellent examples of games that are greatly enhanced by expansions. Except the Tales and Legends deck for Small World -- don't get the Tales and Legends deck, no matter how much you love Small World.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ropes4u posted:

Return Pandemic. Get Space Alert.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Harsh, Pandemic is a perfectly decent game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Broken Loose posted:

Pandemic would be better for my group. Our mix has people more interested in social aspects than trying to solve problems under intense time crunches. Under our situation, quarterbacking is actually more of a positive than a negative.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MisterBear posted:

REDACTED

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 23, 2013

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MisterBear posted:

I dunno, Pandemic is more of a puzzle and probably the most quarterbacking prone co-op I've ever played.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fungah! posted:

It is, but Space Alert does everything it does better.

The two are coops but that's about all they have in common. As amazing as SA is, it's not an introductory game, nor does everybody like the real-time stress aspect. Personally, I'd recommend Forbidden Island or Flashpoint over Pandemic anyway, but comparing SA & Pandemic isn't really all that fair.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fungah! posted:

It is, but Space Alert does everything it does better.

Entertain people who don't enjoy time-crunch games?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Does anyone know how hard/expensive it is to mount a couple of maps by hand? I have a few one-sided maps for wargames which I'll probably use enough to justify putting it on something that will avoid holes in the creases.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Crackbone posted:

The two are coops but that's about all they have in common. As amazing as SA is, it's not an introductory game, nor does everybody like the real-time stress aspect. Personally, I'd recommend Forbidden Island or Flashpoint over Pandemic anyway, but comparing SA & Pandemic isn't really all that fair.

Pander posted:

Entertain people who don't enjoy time-crunch games?

OK yeah, those are good points. Sorry, I'm just unbelievably burnt out on Pandemic and felt like shooting off a one-liner. Consider it retracted.

e: While I'm thinking about it, Amazon somehow found some copies of Tales of the Arabian Nights. I know I saw it mentioned in here a couple of times, but how do people like it? Don't really have sixty bucks and I'd like to get some opinions before I throw down on it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Frankly, I don't get the appeal. It's a choose your own adventure book on steroids. I don't like games that are one-trick pony "experience generators" with nothing else to offer.

I suppose you could say it's better than something like Talisman or Arkham Horror because it's JUST and experience generator without a bunch of bad rules thrown on top of it; but to me calling it a "game" stretches my personal definition of the term.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Tales is about the most fun you can have in 3 hours with exactly 4 people. I'd go so far as to say it's unplayable with 5 and not great with 3. 5 and it takes far too long to get to your turn, and 3, you lose out on some of the story aspect. Play to enjoy it and you will.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think saying Tales of the Arabian Nights isn't a game per se is pretty fair - there's hardly any mechanics to it at all - but in terms of having crazy poo poo happen in a pretty accurately portrayed Arabian Nights milieu it really shines. YMMV how much that interests you.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Is Police Precinct good (and also relatively easy for people to learn)? I have to host a party for the rest of the criminal justice department I teach at, and I was looking for something accessible.

I have not heard anything good about it that I can recall, and Shut Up and Sit Down were not at all complimentary about it in this podcast: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcast/episode/podcast-8/

(Of course, they're just one source and I've known them to be wrong, for example in their Sentinels of the Multiverse review, which I roundly disagree with.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

factorialite posted:

Tales is about the most fun you can have in 3 hours with exactly 4 people.

Seinfeld cast in a sex dungeon.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

factorialite posted:

Tales is about the most fun you can have in 3 hours with exactly 4 people. I'd go so far as to say it's unplayable with 5 and not great with 3. 5 and it takes far too long to get to your turn, and 3, you lose out on some of the story aspect. Play to enjoy it and you will.
What do you lose with 3 exactly? I heard it was best with three on the contrary, with one people playing his turn, one other handling the matrix table and another the story book. Rated best with three on BGG as well. I'm curious because I'll probably end up playing it with three when I get it, with four player days going for other games instead.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I find it plays very well with 2, with the reader using http://www.hlasnet.com/bgg/totan/index.html#_home instead of the matrix sheet. That way no-one is waiting long for their turn, although you may want to houseful the statuses that an only be removed by encountering another character with a specific skill to wear off in x turns.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Though we are still learning the rules Castles of Burgundy has replaced Ticket to Ride as our favorite game for two players.

After reading the post by malkav11 I "discovered" that you can buy a black tile on every turn if you have the $$.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I had a 4-player game of seasons tonight where the guy who was lagging behind for the first two years or so suddenly switched on his game and ended up beating us all by like a hundred points.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Pandemic chat: With the new In the Lab expansion, the game has incorporated a pretty different dimension. Players no longer need to collect 5 cards to cure diseases, but instead you process the cubes you take from the board or put them in petri dishes on a side board. Side board actions have really added a new thematic element to the game (it feels less abstract and 'macro-focussed') and I think it's more fun than before as well. Also, there is a team variant, which is cool, so it can be played semi-cooperatively. Comparing base games might be a bit unfair, because the expansions really add a lot more and make the game more fun than other game's expansions do (Flash Point etc.).

All things considered, I still think Robinson Crusoe is the king of Co-Ops but what can you do.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm with Crackbone, Tales isn't a game. It's an experience. This is where I differ from Crackbone, because I think it's an experience worth having around three times.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The General posted:

I'm with Crackbone, Tales isn't a game. It's an experience. This is where I differ from Crackbone, because I think it's an experience worth having around three times.

To be honest, that's about the number of times my group plays board games we like. There's always something new.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ashenai posted:

To be honest, that's about the number of times my group plays board games we like. There's always something new.

With games you like though, you stick them on the pile. Tales of Arabian Nights can just go to a new owner after.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Does anyone have any experience with the Numenera RPG? I was considering getting the book from someone (brand new) for 25 dollars (normally 50-60?). It would be my first 'from the book' tabletop RPG but I like what I see from the art so far and the world building.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's Monte Cook? I'd give it a pass. Kind of how like I give things by Knizia a pass. Just don't care for his stuff for the most part.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

The General posted:

It's Monte Cook? I'd give it a pass. Kind of how like I give things by Knizia a pass. Just don't care for his stuff for the most part.

Anything that you'd like to explain more in depth?

whorfin
Dec 6, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Amazon somehow found some copies of Tales of the Arabian Nights.

THANK YOU for mentioning that. I've been checking every once in a while with Amazon and CSI to see if they'd get it in stock (I've had CSI's auto-emailing fail on me a couple times), and I managed to grab a copy before they went out of stock again.

I'm going to force myself to stop buying games for the rest of the year now. I hope nothing else comes out...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Caedar posted:

Anything that you'd like to explain more in depth?

Didn't care for D&D 3.x at all. Played a few Monte Cook modules and some of the bizarre poo poo within, was well bizarre. Insane deathtrap rooms, inane plot development and I want to say a Power Rangers-esque finale. Though the giant robot fighting may have been a different author. It's been about a decade and my memory is poo poo.

Edit: This really isnt the thread for this.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I recently bought Quarantine after the SU&SD review, and agree on every point. I think its negatives definitely stop it from being a great game.

Has anyone ever houseruled Quarantine? I have a feeling that it could be better balanced if the special rooms had some additional cost (on top of the winning bid) plus variable points values, and if some of the other actions were more or less expensive.

My girlfriend and I are also interested in houseruling Munchkin, now that she's an experienced enough gamer to realise that it's a bad game. I think the worst part of the game is how random the draws can be: You're level 3 and draw a level 10 monster, so you immediately die. Or you're level 9 and you draw a level 2 monster, so you immediately win. Or the other player leaps ahead while you draw no loot of any value. To combat this we've tiered the monsters (by number of treasures given) and will allow players to select which deck they draw from, or at least reduce the randomness. Races and Classes have been taken out completely, to be given out at the start of each game and any time optionally during. We've separated items worth less than 500, more than 500, modifiers, single use items and 'go up a level's, and will assign each of these a treasure value of one or more. So killing a 3-Treasure monster will allow you to draw three 1-treasure cards, or one 1-treasure and two 2-treasure, for example. We haven't thought through it too fully yet, but given that she definitely wants to play the game, we have to try something.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I think you've been posting in this thread long enough to know that's not a very good discussion topic.

If you're THAT desperate, buy a copy of Cutthroat Caverns and call it a night.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Loose posted:

Seinfeld cast in a sex dungeon.

It takes more than three hours to properly brick up a doorway.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

EddieDean posted:

My girlfriend and I are also interested in houseruling Munchkin, now that she's an experienced enough gamer to realise that it's a bad game. I think the worst part of the game is how random the draws can be: You're level 3 and draw a level 10 monster, so you immediately die. Or you're level 9 and you draw a level 2 monster, so you immediately win. Or the other player leaps ahead while you draw no loot of any value. To combat this we've tiered the monsters (by number of treasures given) and will allow players to select which deck they draw from, or at least reduce the randomness. Races and Classes have been taken out completely, to be given out at the start of each game and any time optionally during. We've separated items worth less than 500, more than 500, modifiers, single use items and 'go up a level's, and will assign each of these a treasure value of one or more. So killing a 3-Treasure monster will allow you to draw three 1-treasure cards, or one 1-treasure and two 2-treasure, for example. We haven't thought through it too fully yet, but given that she definitely wants to play the game, we have to try something.

The real question is: is it really worth it?

Is there enough of a decent game buried beneath the arse to make it worth basically rewriting the rules to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

EddieDean posted:

Just buy some more games that are highly recommended for your group size, fill the game time with joy and laughter and hide the Munchkin, preferably sell it or just throw it in the trash or get a dog to chew on it (surely you know someone with a dog). Change the subject when it is mentioned and make people forget it ever existed. There are countless better games, and most are very, very cheap. It's not worth your time trying to save that one. It all else fails, just say that you don't want to play it anymore. Make your stand.

Edit: Just received the replacements for Earth Reborn. In a box that is thrice the size of the Earth Reborn box itself for a single sheet of tokens and rooms and a figure. I asked for the arm of the mecha, which was missing and they sent a whole new figure, mighty nice of them. If only they managed to send the right replacement sheet as well. It's funny how they managed to pick the wrong one of two alternatives even with the photos I sent to point out to the correct one. Let's hope second times the charm...

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 23, 2013

• Locked thread