Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can't really think of one that makes sense for the Assassin, I have to admit.
Maybe something along the lines of:

You get NPC'ed and become Death's personal contract killer. As payment he fulfills/allows you to fulfill your current contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I guess I'll toss up a death move for the Augur too.

The Final Fortune
You foresaw this moment long ago, the moment of your death is at hand. As your end approaches, the veil before your mind’s eye parts completely and you finally see everything that makes the universe tick. You have enough time during these final moments of clarity to reveal a great truth or prophesy to your allies, set in motion a chain of events that can greatly alter the world or unfailingly perform a single task with complete perfection.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I have to say, Death Moves remind me of the "Special Moves" from Apocalypse World, except infinitely less uncomfortable to explain to new players.

Now, in light of the fact that death moves tend to involve you staying dead / violently exploding in occult power, how do those work with resurrection moves like the Witch or Medic has?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This should totally be added to the DW guide, if EM and Scrape still have the master.

Scrape is pretty much the master of the guide; I'm just the secondary guy. I don't even know if Scrape still hangs around here...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Would the Shaman's Death Move allow a returned character to use their Death Move again? I'd lean towards yes.

The trigger is "when you die," not "when you first die," so yes!

ImpactVector posted:

Maybe something along the lines of:

You get NPC'ed and become Death's personal contract killer. As payment he fulfills/allows you to fulfill your current contract.

I like this, but on the other hand I don't want to codify it as a move - becoming Death's assassin is totally something that should happen on a Last Breath bargain.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 22, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like this, but on the other hand I don't want to codify it as a move - becoming Death's assassin is totally something that should happen on a Last Breath bargain.

When you die, you make sure that your lifeblood lives on, a reminder of the legendary assassin you were. A pool of your blood remains where you died, and acts as a font of a thick, foul smelling liquid. Any that coat their weapon in this unction may use it as a poison, the effects chosen by you. Any who studied your legacy or honor your assassin guild may imbibe the fluid to be granted extraordinary powers, you choose.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I did some tweaking on the Augur.

I replaced the boring racial moves with more interesting versions, replaced the staff in the weapons list with a crystal pendulum that's mostly the same but not two-handed (and cooler) and removed the damage over time limitation on reversed healing items in malpractice, since it's a 6-10 move and a reversed healing potion is probably not overpowered at that level even though it's still straight up 10 damage poison/flask.

E: Also removed the rapier from the weapons and added the precise tag to the dagger. Now both of the augur's weapon options are repurposed fortunetelling tools and they should be roughly comparable to each other, with the pendulum's longer reach countered by the dagger's multiple tags.

Link's here

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 22, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Okasvi posted:

I did some tweaking on the Augur.

I replaced the boring racial moves with more interesting versions, replaced the staff in the weapons list with a crystal pendulum that's mostly the same but not two-handed (and cooler) and removed the damage over time limitation on reversed healing items in malpractice, since it's a 6-10 move and a reversed healing potion is probably not overpowered at that level even though it's still straight up 10 damage poison/flask.

E: Also removed the rapier from the weapons and added the precise tag to the dagger. Now both of the augur's weapon options are repurposed fortunetelling tools and they should be roughly comparable to each other, with the pendulum's longer reach countered by the dagger's multiple tags.

Link's here

You didn't include the Death Move you literally just wrote? Put that in there, dude.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

You didn't include the Death Move you literally just wrote? Put that in there, dude.

I didn't really know where to put it. Is it an optional starting move or an advanced one or what. Where are they on the grim world playbooks?

E: Added it in in it's own section for now.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

Here are some premade adventures for demos from the DW website: http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/

The adventures as presented leave a whole ton up to the imagination and direction of the players and DM while providing a world of rich detail and plot hooks. I really wish there were a book of just these kinds of one shot adventures.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Okasvi posted:

I didn't really know where to put it. Is it an optional starting move or an advanced one or what. Where are they on the grim world playbooks?

E: Added it in in it's own section for now.

I'd put the Death Move in its own section, at the end of the Starting Moves.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Shamblercow posted:

Here are some premade adventures for demos from the DW website: http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/

The adventures as presented leave a whole ton up to the imagination and direction of the players and DM while providing a world of rich detail and plot hooks. I really wish there were a book of just these kinds of one shot adventures.

You shouldn't have too long to wait...

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

The Supreme Court posted:

You shouldn't have too long to wait...

I have never in my life been more excited to hear details from The Supreme Court.

Has anyone heard anything regarding Grim Portents Issue 2? I think Chris Sakkas, the guy who organized it, had begun collecting submissions for Issue 3, but I could def see life getting in the way of a far flung effort like that. For the uninitiated, Grim Portents is a Dungeon World fanzine, first issue available here: http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/download-grim-portents-issue-1-here-submissions-open-for-issue-2-theme-the-wine-dark-sea/

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

gnome7 posted:

I'd put the Death Move in its own section, at the end of the Starting Moves.

What if, instead of Death Move, they were just called Ending Moves, and could be invoked whenever the player felt the character's story should come to a close?

edit: Does that totally fly in the face of "play to find out what happens?"

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Elmo Oxygen posted:

What if, instead of Death Move, they were just called Ending Moves, and could be invoked whenever the player felt the character's story should come to a close?

I was going to work this into Inverse World but I think it's going to become its own thing - I'd love to see something similar to Death Moves but Retirement Moves instead, where after your adventurer decides to retire they create a campaign-changing addition to the setting. Your Fighter permanently retires and sets up shop in a nearby village, training all comers in her particular fighting style and forming a squad of the most fearsome, virtuous warriors the world has ever seen. Your Wizard permanently retires and becomes a notorious hermit, young adventurers seeking him out for ancient wisdom and his collection of customized spells.
The legacy of your character creates both a fictional change to the setting (with added new adventure hooks) and a mechanical change, like creating a compendium class or adding spells to spell lists or giving a playbook a new Move they can take as they advance.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hey, does anyone remember that Emong guy that used to post a lot of compendium classes? Me neither.

Compendium Class: Dilettante
When you feel like you've seen it all, and disregard your own safety just to experience something new, you may take this move when you level up:

Been There, Done That: You've experienced more than most could ever dream of, and quite frankly you don't have time to do it again. When others would be surprised or frightened (even due to some supernatural effect), you're just bored.

Once you've taken "Been There, Done That," the following moves count as class moves for you. In addition to your normal list of moves, you may choose fro this list when you level up:

There And Back Again: You've slipped through Death's fingers more than is probably healthy, but you're getting pretty good at it. When take your Last Breath and roll a 10+ take +1-hold. You may spend this hold to take +hold spent forward on a Last Breath.

This Reminds Me Of That Time When...: When you stop for a while to reminisce about a similar situation while you're in the middle of something risky, take +1 ongoing on rolls to resolve your current problem.

One Weird Trick: All your experiences have taught you a lot of little tricks that aren't exactly common knowledge. You gain a move from another compendium class (subject to GM approval, of course).

I was going to adapt the Arcane Dilettante, but I didn't remember anything about it except the theme was "experience as much as possible" so this came out instead.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

gnome7 posted:

I posted a pretty important update to Inverse World, just now. It concerns upgrading your backer tier or backing at all, if you hadn't already. I hear some people are pretty interested in that kind of thing.

Crossposting because relevant.

vv Playbooks emailed to you! I hope you enjoy them and all their cool things.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 23, 2013

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Crossposting because relevant.

Replying again because really thankful.

I'd see you guys post things referencing a playbook I don't have and think that it's probably in Inverse World. I'd look at the Kickstarter page to confirm and then be sad again that I had no spare cash when the campaign was active. Money sent; can't wait.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am really, really tempted to go for one of the personalized hardcopies but between the Deck of Legends and Grim World I think I might have to be lame and responsible and not spend too much money on Kickstarter stuff. I dunno, I need to see what my next paycheck looks like.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

zarathud posted:

I am inept with Inkscape, but I have been using Word for ages, so I converted Fenarisk's .SVG template over to a .DOCX (2007) format. The fonts should be embedded.

For those interested, you can download a copy at this link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFSWpRb042a1RZaTg/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback welcome.
I know this is from a few pages back but could you share exactly how you did this? Would love to apply it to other *World games. Getting the Inkscape one to work was an absolute bitch and a half.

Sorry for the late reply on this. Here is a basic run down.

-I took the Inkscape version and cut it down to the "non-editable elements" and converted that to an image. I inserted the image into the Page Header in the Word doc so it would be in the background.
-Racial Names, Descriptors, the # added to CON for HP, the Damage Die, and the Alignment/Drive header text are all in editable text boxes that are anchored to the first paragraph in the main body text and set not to move with text.
-The main body text area on the first page is set to start below the Alignment/Drive and Starting Moves headers, and it is set up as two columns of text. The Race/Background and Bond headers are inserted in line with the text so they will move as the section sizes change. Also note that the Race/Background text is editable text box and moves with the associated header.

-There is a section break between pages 1 and 2 so that I can have a different Page Header on the second page, which is the Gear header.
-The main text body of the document has 3 subsections: a two column section for Gear text, a single column text section with the Advanced Moves header, and a second two column section for Advanced Moves text. This allows the Advanced Moves section to change in size based on the size of the Gear section.

If you have any other questions, let me know. If you need help with converting something else, I would be willing to help out.

BTW - Is this link worthy of being in the OP under the Classes section?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zarathud posted:

BTW - Is this link worthy of being in the OP under the Classes section?

Yes, very much so. Gnome should get it in there. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gnome should e-mail his playbook breakdowns to the Grim World folks and then go back to bugging Mikan to finish his stuff so I can get my hands on Inverse World.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Really wanna run a Demon's Souls campaign using Grim World. Gonna back dat noise. Also a One Piece Inverse World game, because I love anime.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So I've been thinking of a few death moves:

Initiate posted:

Leaves from the Vine
Eventually, every petal falls from the tree. As lays bare upon the earth, letting itself become one with the future, so to will you eventually pass on your knowledge. When you die, hand over your focus to another player a hireling - if they accept, both of you strike through your bond with each other and write a final, parting bond.
By passing on this focus, you reveal to the world that you had taken on a disciple, to whom you taught your art as best you could. Whomever receives the focus also receives the Signature Style starting move, with exactly the same choices you made when selecting yours. When they advance, they may take moves from the Initiate playbook as if it was their own - but the playbook is counted as in play as long as that character lives.

Witch posted:

Brew Fame, Bottle Glory
Eye of hatred, tail of divorce.
A hair of rejection, the blood of remorse.
Mix it thrice with the blood of mice,
A dabble of sugar, and cinnamon spice.
Add the spit of an Angel to this hated brew,
And just one little life to see it through.

When you die, you complete one dose of your final potion. A vial with such raw emotion, such unbridled passion, that upon use the final will of the witch will pour forth unto whatever it was poured upon, changing the landscape forever according to your desires.Choose one other player in the group - they ultimately decide what to do with your final brew.

Spellslinger posted:

Silver Bullet
Ain't no meal like the last supper, no kiss like the final parting, and no spell quite like the one drew with your last breath. When you die, tell death to shut up for a second. You ain't going out like this - you goin' out with a bang. And so you sit there, taking a smoke and watching people sail on by upon the border of life and death, before you finally come down and do what ya gotta do. Your ignore the burning of your flesh, the small fires(are they fires? You can't really tell right now) under your feet, and fire one last, perfect spell.

Using literally every rune in your arsenal at the same time.

You only get one shot, bud - it won't miss, but make it count.

Fool posted:

XVI-The Tower
But you were integral to the team! You were the heart, soul and the only one who could keep them together! Sure, you made mistakes every now and then, but doesn't everyone? How could they just leave me to die?! I mean, am I really that unimportant that
Oh...Oh...
When you die, whatever caused your ineptitude finally releases its hold on you. So used to your normal thinking patterns that it can only do what any good force of nature does - spread, consume, exist with all the apathetic malice of a thunderous earthquake.
Chaos spreads. Houses are set alight, children are swept away, means of survival are lost and buried. Even the tiniest fall could be fatal as a negligible shard of glass impacts upon the throat and slides into a lung. Until the end of the scene, chaos reigns worldwide. Throughout this time, you have 4 final pieces of calamity - what they will do once they leave your hands is beyond you, with each having the impact to shatter any one person's life or reforge it a blaze of glory. You can, however, give your calamity to anyone whom you can remember, distance or wards or your current state be damned.
Once the final part of calamity as been spread, all becomes calm. The world may not know whom, or why, but it will never forget your passing.

Fighter posted:

Bloodshed
When you would die, you do not die until whatever slays you joins it. No one who values their life will interfere with your final duel, nor will anyone with a smidgen of honor. If your target should leave the scene, however, it is time to put up your blade. If you so desire, another player of choice may take the blade as their own if they choose, regardless of the outcome - but no one else.

Thoughts? Feedback? Am I generally doing the right kind of thing for death moves?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey in about half an hour from now (6 pm EST) I'm going to be part of a G+ Hangout about advice when starting a DW game.

Come see how bad I look on camera!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey in about half an hour from now (6 pm EST) I'm going to be part of a G+ Hangout about advice when starting a DW game.

Come see how bad I look on camera!

I am going to try and listen in. I just finished reading you and Scrape's GM guide in preparation for running my first adventure and you really helped make everything click for me. Thanks so much for writing that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hangout's over, here's the YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1v_O-pbJY

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I feel compelled to point out that I already HAD death moves before this discussion even started, just that they were buried in the advanced moves :v:

Buuut at least two of them didn't, so:

The Arcane Duelist posted:

The Truth of Steel
As the severity of your wound sunk in, it was as if the entire world was laid bare before you. The final, greatest technique of your style is revealed to you and you execute it flawlessly before expiring; work with your GM to come up with a name and what it does.

The Cursed Knight posted:

Expulse
For years, you fought. Against your enemies, against your friends, and against the demon that has taken so much from you. At the end of all things, you stand victorious. The force possessing you is forcefully expelled, ravaging your body and destroying utterly everything in front of you as it violently discorporates. Free of your curse, you collapse to die with the closest thing to peace you've ever known.

Then again, you've always been lucky when it comes to second chances.

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 10, 2017

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19QtC3g6fyv-80U1WC-N_YZWoz7EenyBGMG8JerdYil8/edit

I have posted my pile of "Hey Grim World Guys, Fix This poo poo" to the Grim World guys. Also Boing let me know how to contact you, I'm trying to set your Slayer up to replace theirs.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Androc posted:

I feel compelled to point out that I already HAD death moves before this discussion even started, just that they were buried in the advanced moves :v:

I think The Warlock wins that particular race, thank you. :smaug: The Patron interfering with Death is absolutely my favorite of the advanced Warlock moves.
Okay I guess technically it's not the same thing but I wanted to use :smaug: for something

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

If anyone wants to come up with a death move for the Medic, feel free. I've wracked my brain trying to think of one that would be worthwhile mechanically and thematically.

Dr. Jekyll and Dr. Frankenstein both just kind of give up and die, and I can't really think of other archetypal doctors dying to draw from.

edit: Maybe something like a deathbed miracle cure? You die but no one else will ever die from the same cause? It would be pretty funny if your dying medic found the cure for getting stabbed to death.

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 24, 2013

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Eh I'll take stab at it:

The Medic posted:

Patient Zero
When you succumb to your biological limits, roll d4 to determine your hold. Spend hold 1 for 1 to do the following:

* Ensure that no one from your party will die by the same cause, ever.
* Ensure that one enemy of your choosing will die by the same cause, and soon.
* Healers everywhere revere your sacrifice and embrace your teachings. (Healers treat debilities in 1 day instead of 2)
* You go painlessly, and without regret.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

If anyone wants to come up with a death move for the Medic, feel free. I've wracked my brain trying to think of one that would be worthwhile mechanically and thematically.

Dr. Jekyll and Dr. Frankenstein both just kind of give up and die, and I can't really think of other archetypal doctors dying to draw from.

edit: Maybe something like a deathbed miracle cure? You die but no one else will ever die from the same cause? It would be pretty funny if your dying medic found the cure for getting stabbed to death.

The Undiscovered Country

You have spent your days snatching people from the Black Gates--taking them from the cold Beyond, and bringing them back to life. You have saved them from Death, and Death is not happy about it. But you have one final surgery to perform. When you die, you cause a commotion at the Black Gates. Perhaps Death gloats about this victory over you; perhaps the souls of those you've saved from violence, and have since passed on peacefully, come to the Gates to welcome you and sing hosannas; perhaps the shades of those you failed to help have come to drag you in. Whatever the reason, the Gates stand open just a little too long... and some souls manage to escape.

Everyone who is present at your death is instinctively aware: a loved one has returned to life somewhere. Throughout the land of your demise, people rise and live again. Not many, mind you; just enough for this day to be spoken of as a day of miracles for ages hence. Just enough to prove that you will always be stronger than Death.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 24, 2013

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Everything Counts posted:

Just enough to prove that you will always be stronger than Death.

Awesome.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

Shamblercow posted:

I have never in my life been more excited to hear details from The Supreme Court.

Has anyone heard anything regarding Grim Portents Issue 2? I think Chris Sakkas, the guy who organized it, had begun collecting submissions for Issue 3, but I could def see life getting in the way of a far flung effort like that. For the uninitiated, Grim Portents is a Dungeon World fanzine, first issue available here: http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/download-grim-portents-issue-1-here-submissions-open-for-issue-2-theme-the-wine-dark-sea/

Thanks for your interest, Shamblercow.

The answer is that I dropped the ball on GP 2 for a couple of months, but it's in motion now and I'd expect to see it go public in the next couple of weeks.

Please do send in submissions for issue 3 if you have them, but it will be a while before I can focus on it.

Cheers,
Chris

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
What would you guys recommend when it comes to slowing down the leveling? I have a long campaign planned in pathfinder, but it's 90% likely that we will be rolling over to Dungeon World rule set after playing half of the Minotaur adventure. They only cleared out like 3 rooms and already leveled. I want to slow it down some.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Make levelling up take more XP.

But first, make sure the players are one board with the idea. Maybe they like levelling up fast.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Our group tossed xp entirely, players level every time they attend 3 sessions. It hasn't broken anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
In my recently finished game, I simply handed out a level time every time players completed a dungeon or accomplished some other major achievement. That worked okay, but getting power from clearing dungeons was part of the whole premise of the game. Every 3 sessions would probably work if you wanted a set pacing--not every Dungeon World will have neat set milestones like completing dungeons. That means that people'd reach level 10 in 27 sessions, which is half a year's worth of weekly sessions.

I'll also mention that this game was the first long-running game I've been in, as player or GM, that's had a proper ending. Ever. With a tidy epilogue to wrap it up and all. It was a real blast running it.