Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I kind of what to see what their misrepresented London would look like now... Besides, you'd almost certainly have the option to kill a god in Big Ben. That's pretty awesome. Or in the Tate Modern, that'd pretty cool too.

The Shard basically looks like a super-villain's lair already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

deadly_pudding posted:

I advocated in favor of the Japan setting, but nonetheless, if they made XCOM, but all your units had a Demon Summoning Program... :getin:

XCOM with DPSs is basically Devil Survivor, but I'd play the gently caress out of XCOM with demons yes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Soul Hackers is $30 on the eShop right now along with Code of Princess($20) and EOIV($30.) Teddie's VA plays an elf that is pretty much still Teddie in CoP.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Dehry posted:

Soul Hackers is $30 on the eShop right now along with Code of Princess($20) and EOIV($30.) Teddie's VA plays an elf that is pretty much still Teddie in CoP.

Well, I guess I'm glad that I decided to sit on that Eshop credit since I was planning on spending it on either Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey after I finished up with SMTIV.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've always been under the impression that Soul Hackers is very bad. Is this not true?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've always been under the impression that Soul Hackers is very bad. Is this not true?

It's not bad, it's just archaic. The port was kinda sloppy too, but it's hardly bad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My main complaints with Soul Hackers could pretty much be copied and pasted from the Persona 1 and 2 feeling entirely different from 3 and 4 discussion.

It's closer to Persona 1 when talking about exploration of dungeons, but you get a fancy over world map like all the other SMT games with the little person walking around on the grid. There's just an overuse of 3D just because they have it.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 20, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Speaking of:
Eurogoons, Soul Hackers is slated for release on September 20th. You know, in case you haven't already caved and bought a NA 3DS.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How's the story in Soul Hackers? That's the main reason I'd wanna play it.

I wish they'd put out the rest of the MegaTen games we've missed in the US. Maybe if SH and SMT4 do well enough whatever company that buys Atlus will.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Unmature posted:

How's the story in Soul Hackers? That's the main reason I'd wanna play it.

I wish they'd put out the rest of the MegaTen games we've missed in the US. Maybe if SH and SMT4 do well enough whatever company that buys Atlus will.

It's not awful, although it's about as bare-bones as a typical mainline SMT game. I suspect your enjoyment of the plot will pretty much stand or fall on how much you like Nemissa, since she gets by far the most lines of any character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got SMT IV this weekend and it's been kicking my rear end. Any advice for Minotaur?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Just got SMT IV this weekend and it's been kicking my rear end. Any advice for Minotaur?

Get Ice on everybody. Use it lots. Make sure to answer his questions correctly, if he asks any. Buffs are pretty helpful too. He was the first big road block for me, he's a rather mean first "proper" boss.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

MrAristocrates posted:

Debuff his hit. He likes to use High crit/ low hit skills. Also Ice that fool.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can also level up to 14 and get the chit-chat app, you can take him down to a single turn doing that. Its pretty much required for hard mode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alright. Any recommendations for what I should dump my stats into? I've mainly been prioritizing Strength.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alteisen posted:

You can also level up to 14 and get the chit-chat app, you can take him down to a single turn doing that. Its pretty much required for hard mode.

You unlock Chitchat through buying Negotiate, not by level. It is by no means required for Hard. On my fresh run, I've used it maybe once or twice and have done fine through the top tier NG+ quests.

MrAristocrates posted:

Alright. Any recommendations for what I should dump my stats into? I've mainly been prioritizing Strength.

If you're doing a physical build, prioritize Dexterity along with Agility and Luck. Physical skills are weighted towards Dexterity significantly more than Strength in calculating damage. All Strength really does is determine is how hard you smack things with your basic sword attack.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrAristocrates posted:

Early on you want to prioritize Agility, the for a physical build you want to put points into Dexterity, Agility, and Luck. Strength is pretty much a dump stat.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm overleveling SMTIV without going out of my way to just because of my awful navigation abilities.

I'm level 70 and I just started doing stuff in Pluto's Castle, just from constantly recruiting and fusing to get Luster Candy and Debilitate and Energy Drain on everyone.

I also have like 150 unspent app points but I guess lifting fusion cap wouldn't be bad.

By the way, having Skill Plugin for recruiting Ouroboros gets you Trisagion and Luster Candy a little earlier than other demons would get it -- anyone else notice really good skills you can get through the Skill Plugin? It seems like each demon has a particular set.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zoness posted:

I feel like I'm overleveling SMTIV without going out of my way to just because of my awful navigation abilities.

I'm level 70 and I just started doing stuff in Pluto's Castle, just from constantly recruiting and fusing to get Luster Candy and Debilitate and Energy Drain on everyone.

I also have like 150 unspent app points but I guess lifting fusion cap wouldn't be bad.

By the way, having Skill Plugin for recruiting Ouroboros gets you Trisagion and Luster Candy a little earlier than other demons would get it -- anyone else notice really good skills you can get through the Skill Plugin? It seems like each demon has a particular set.

Skill Plugin? Is that the one that increases skill mutation chance? Because I think the mutations you can get are pretty much random.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Skill Plugin? Is that the one that increases skill mutation chance? Because I think the mutations you can get are pretty much random.

No that's the one that gives a bonus skill when you recruit a demon.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Speaking of:
Eurogoons, Soul Hackers is slated for release on September 20th. You know, in case you haven't already caved and bought a NA 3DS.

Man, this is gonna be the longest loving month ever. At least Etrian Odyssey IV will help deal with the wait when THAT comes out.

Speaking of horrendously late EU releases, has anyone heard any news about SMTIV? Wikipedia had it listed as coming out like a week after Soul Hackers, but now it's back to TBA.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nothing SMT related from Sony's Gamescom presentation. We'll have to see what the Tokyo Game Show brings, although Index's new owners will be the ones to decide that.

PS Vita is $199 now if you haven't bought your Persona 4 Golden machine yet. Memory cards got a slight price cut, but are still expensive. You need a memory card to save so budget for at least a 4GB.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thuryl posted:

It's not awful, although it's about as bare-bones as a typical mainline SMT game. I suspect your enjoyment of the plot will pretty much stand or fall on how much you like Nemissa, since she gets by far the most lines of any character.

Nemissa is awesome. The game is pretty much middle of the road SMT as far as mechanics go, leaning a bit more towards the old school.

If you played any of the 4 SNES games that bear the Megami Tensei part on the title (yes I'm including Kyuuyaku, despite being a remake / compilation from the 2 original Namco games), you're pretty much set. Though it's nowhere near as hard as any of them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dehry posted:

I still haven't redeemed the $30 I got from getting SMT+EO4. I was thinking I'd skip Soul Hackers but if I don't have to pay for it...

Zoness posted:

No that's the one that gives a bonus skill when you recruit a demon.

Wait... WHAT. I thought it gave a bonus stat point or two which is basically useless, bonus skills could have been potentially really useful. Man I'd still like to see a full App breakdown because I feel like there are a lot of choices you don't even see unless you unlock some useless looking ones first.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 21, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I'm almost scared to use most of my App points because there are so many options. I think I'm going to get the next skill slot upgrade for my demons, but I still haven't gotten most of the negotiation options other than Demolingual and the one that gives you Macca for recruiting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

While the other demon negotiation apps are good, I only bought demonlingual and was fine for the whole game. So only get the others if you actually want them not because you feel that they're required.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Man, I'm almost scared to use most of my App points because there are so many options. I think I'm going to get the next skill slot upgrade for my demons, but I still haven't gotten most of the negotiation options other than Demolingual and the one that gives you Macca for recruiting.

I'm level 72 with (in addition to the required apps):

Useful things:
Skill Expansion 4
Demon Skill Expansion 4
Expand Stock 12
Demolingual
Scout, Scout Gift, Scout Bonus, Scout +, Expert Scout, Stat Plugin, Skill Plugin
Talk Boost 4
Summon Discount 4

Useless (basically 100 wasted points :3:):
Fundraise, Fundraise+ (worse than scout)
Skill Augment

I don't really miss not having any HP or MP recovery, and I don't think most of the other talk options are particularly necessary until hard mode.

The Talk Boost 4 and Scout Line apps are pretty much the main reason I'm horribly overleveled and Skill Plugin has let me put Luster Candy on like half my stock and like every demon in my compendium above level 40 so yeah. I kinda hope something can Skill Plugin into Victory Cry later because that would be the nuts.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, I regret buying into Fundraise. Scout Bonus is way better, and if you always Cheat the demon when they ask for money, you'll be rolling in Macca just from picking up Fusion fodder with that app. When I do New Game+ to go for a different ending, I'm gonna skip Fundraise completely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but what elements are the best to have? That is, which elements are going to hit the most weaknesses/be nulled the least among the enemies faced in the game? Conversely, which elements are best to be resistant/immune to? I'm sure someone has done some numerical statistics on this based on the demon database.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
At the route lock, last time I talked to Cynical Man was before I started jumping between the alternate worlds. Was Law so I made a choice or two to swing Neutral, should I pick the Chaos option to maximize my odds of staying Neutral?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

vanov posted:

At the route lock, last time I talked to Cynical Man was before I started jumping between the alternate worlds. Was Law so I made a choice or two to swing Neutral, should I pick the Chaos option to maximize my odds of staying Neutral?

Do them all Chaos, then pick Law for your final choice. There are a bunch of forced choices in there but they'll cancel themselves out. Of the non-forced choices, you can get a maximum of 9 Chaos points and 22 Law points. It's hard to get so many Chaos points in there that you're hard-locked on Chaos, but really easy to do so that you're hard-locked into Law. That's probably why more people seem to be accidentally getting stuck on Law than the other way around.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you want neutral in SMT IV pick the first option in every single conversation option.

EVERY.
SINGLE.
ONE.

Easiest way to do it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Right, sorry, let me clarify. Before I went to Camp Ichigaya to start going between worlds, I had managed to shift myself from Law to Neutral.

Steven kind of implied that I locked Neutral, by being like "you have forged your own path," seems good?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Stephen = Neutral, good work soldier.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Alteisen posted:

If you want neutral in SMT IV pick the first option in every single conversation option.

EVERY.
SINGLE.
ONE.

Easiest way to do it.

That...shouldn't work though? Just tallied it up on the spreadsheet of all the choices I used to get all the Law and Chaos NG+ content in a single run. If you do that and go with Jonathan, you're going Law no matter what you pick for your final decision. If you do that and go with Walter, the only way you can do that is by mixing up the options during that corridor choices area. (Otherwise you'll be at either -10 or -20, which will put you in "Law or Chaos only" mode or "too far gone Chaos" respectively.)

Of course some of the side quests can alleviate that.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Stephen = Neutral, good work soldier.

Proud as gently caress atm, got it first try without using a walkthrough. Just Cynical Man and dumb luck I guess.

So do I have to do anything else to not screw myself out of this, or am I locked in full?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

No you're good. Enjoy flipping both god and the devil the bird.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Kannuki Toss can be passed to other demons but NOT whispered right? I want to try and make a Metatron with Dark Energy, Kannuki Toss, Repel Phys, and Heaven's Arrow/Occult Flash.

e: Yes, I know Metatron isn't optimal, but it's one of favorite demons okay? :saddowns:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I beat SMT4, neutral ending. Somehow I feel a little cheated with the goddess just saying "Thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kannuki Toss can be passed to other demons but NOT whispered right? I want to try and make a Metatron with Dark Energy, Kannuki Toss, Repel Phys, and Heaven's Arrow/Occult Flash.

I think Kannuki Throw is one of those skills that can only be inherited with the Demon Fusion Lite app, which gives you less control over what to inherit. And yes, this also means the main character can't get it via Demon Whisper.