Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skarsnik posted:

Has there ever been another time where all the belts have been held by a heel?

All the champions entering Mania 14 were heel except TAKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Has anyone ever won a match with a sleeper hold?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Contingency Plan posted:

Roddy Piper for his entire career.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Contingency Plan posted:

Brutus Beefcake

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I assume Minoru Suzuki at some point.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
HHH beat Spike Dudley with a sleeper about a decade ago.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
The Million Dollar Man definitely did.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Contingency Plan posted:

They were trying to get it over as a secondary finisher for Ziggler a little while ago. I know he at least beat Khali with it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bret Hart won a match while in a sleeper hold, does that count?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I Before E posted:

Bret Hart won a match while in a sleeper hold, does that count?

Bret done it TWICE. Mania 8, Survivor Series 96.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hogan beat Richard Belzer with it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Contingency Plan posted:

Roddy Piper beat Hulk Hogan at the height of his dominance in the nWo with a sleeper hold.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can someone give me a review of JR's Chipotle Ketchup and All-Purpose Seasoning because I miss that guy and want to eat Jim Ross approved condiments

I know you said a BBQ sauce review wasn't needed, but I'll do it anyway:

Regular BBQ: Nothing special, pretty bog-standard.
Hot BBQ: This is pretty good.
Mustard: Nice flavor, could use a little more zest.
Chipotle Ketchup: Tastes like ketchup should be made no other way. Absolutely otherworldly.
All-Purpose seasoning: Haven't tried.

Also, the beef jerky is beyond amazing.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

I understand that by the time that wrestling really hit it big in the mid-80's, Andre the Giant was just a shell of his former self. Did he have any really good matches earlier in his career that are worth watching?

He had some really good matches with Stan Hansen

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

Hogan beat Richard Belzer with it.

To be fair, falling asleep during a Hogan match isn't unusual.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair, falling asleep during a Hogan match isn't unusual.

It is when the 'match' in question is a talk show with a concrete floor. :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When HHH buried Hurricane the week after he beat Rock, he put him down with a sleeper.

Town Moron
Aug 2, 2005

Was there some reason Cena never really appeared on Smackdown with the belt? I'm pretty sure I remember Punk showing up on Smackdown with the title and I'm kind of hoping we'll see the WWE title feud have build on both shows.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Town Moron posted:

Was there some reason Cena never really appeared on Smackdown with the belt? I'm pretty sure I remember Punk showing up on Smackdown with the title and I'm kind of hoping we'll see the WWE title feud have build on both shows.

Punk occasionally did, but rarely, because most of his reign took place before the brand split ended. Even after that, it was still unofficially considered the Raw title. Once the rosters merged, the WHC was still showcased way more on Smackdown. Even The Rock didn't show up on Smackdown much, despite it traditionally being "The Rock's show".

I don't mind different shows featuring different belts. If everyone can appear on either show, featuring specific titles is a way of keeping them distinct.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I'm going to a q&a with Jim Ross this Monday here in Manchester and I have meet and greet tickets. is it true JR can be a bit of a dick with fans?

I just want a handshake and photo, is there any question I should ask him? I literally can't think of anything that doesn't go into smark territory.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He probably has been a dick to fans as he is human and Im sure those fans were harassing him when he was just trying to do normal day to day things. He will probably be a gent in an offical meet and greet.

Could just ask him who he thinks are the brightest nxt prospects.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

britishbornandbread posted:

I'm going to a q&a with Jim Ross this Monday here in Manchester and I have meet and greet tickets. is it true JR can be a bit of a dick with fans?

I just want a handshake and photo, is there any question I should ask him? I literally can't think of anything that doesn't go into smark territory.

How big is Batista's dick?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I were going to ask any pointed questions, I'd ask him about why WWE has declined to have second (or third or fourth) generation wrestlers working under their dads' stage names. I'd also want to know about the recent appearance of the word "wrestling" in WWE programming.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Town Moron posted:

Top guys generally just Don't Work Tuesdays.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

If I were going to ask any pointed questions, I'd ask him about why WWE has declined to have second (or third or fourth) generation wrestlers working under their dads' stage names.

What answer would you need other than "the WWE currently wants to own the rights to all ring names it can"?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You have to remember that JR has serious problems talking for long peroids now without it becoming painful for him. If you have a question you want him to give a decent in depth answer to it's best to get it in early because by the end of Q&A's he has a tendency to become much shorter with his answers (which some people have taken as him being rude or dismissive of them).

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

MassRafTer posted:

I don't believe it and it wasn't reported at the time of the PPV. Chono was injured, they had a god awful double ref gimmick, the American was the top heel in the promotion and the finish was horrible. It was awful without a need for meddling.

Ah, dang. I was curious because I couldn't find a ton of info on the incident.

http://www.rspwfaq.net/2012/10/brocktober-countdown-wcw-halloween.html

quote:

Rude and Chono had a really, really awesome match in Japan in the finals of the NWA tournament, Rude's best ever in fact. It hovered around ****1/2. This, on the other hand...is not. Remember my conspiracy theory from the Starrcade 92 rant about Bill Watts and Japanese wrestlers?

http://www.rspwfaq.net/2011/12/starrcade-countdown-1992.html

quote:

Oh no, it’s the battle of nWo Japan. Back in early 1993, Herb Kunze noted that both guys were specifically told by Bill Watts before the match to NOT put on a good show, so as not to steal the show from the WCW guys. So if you ever see this match, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/keysplace/wcwpart6.html

quote:

Watts also wasn’t helping his cause by showing disrespect to his supervisors in meetings (even if they did deserve the disrespect), and there were reports that Watts did an interview that baseball legend and fellow Turner employee Hank Aaron found racist. Plus the fact that Watts reportedly told his undercard wrestlers to dog their matches so as not to upstage the main eventers(he told Masa Chono and Great Muta to tone down the action in their NWA Title match at Starcade so as not to upstage the Ron Simmons-Steve Williams WCW Title match or the Sting-Vader King of Cable finals) all led one to believe that Watts was one step away from being fired.

Aside from that stuff, I can't really find anything that backs up that theory.

Anyway, actual question time!

In searching the web for wrestling moves, I found a weird maneuver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqKEVTGZPc&t=1m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJ10ZSJH5Q

Those videos refer to the move as a "Back to Belly Double Underhook Suplex". I cannot find any info using that name (I'm not even sure a "back-to-belly suplex" is a real thing), so I'm assuming that it's not the proper/actual name. Any idea what the move is called?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only other people I've ever seen use that move are Regal and Benoit; I'm not sure it has a name. SuicidalDragon is a big puro nerd, so he's just going to call it by the most technically detailed name in the absence of any colloquialism. (And technically speaking, those are overhooks.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 23, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nick_326 posted:

Ah, dang. I was curious because I couldn't find a ton of info on the incident.

http://www.rspwfaq.net/2012/10/brocktober-countdown-wcw-halloween.html

http://www.rspwfaq.net/2011/12/starrcade-countdown-1992.html

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/keysplace/wcwpart6.html

Aside from that stuff, I can't really find anything that backs up that theory.

Anyway, actual question time!

In searching the web for wrestling moves, I found a weird maneuver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqKEVTGZPc&t=1m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJ10ZSJH5Q

Those videos refer to the move as a "Back to Belly Double Underhook Suplex". I cannot find any info using that name (I'm not even sure a "back-to-belly suplex" is a real thing), so I'm assuming that it's not the proper/actual name. Any idea what the move is called?

The best option is not to listen to Scott Keith, he's an idiot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why exactly does Dixie Carter love TNA so much? They don't make any money, they're a far flung #2 behind the biggest name in wrestling (which doesn't mean squat) and no one but the blobs of flesh at live shows seem to care about the company beyond making fun of it or drawing an easy paycheck.

Does she just really like wrestling but not enough to actually try and improve the product? How long til her parents croak and her funding dries up?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I've got kinda an opposite question- why has TNA gotten so much love from the networks and say, ROH hasn't?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Something I've never thought about before, but hit me when I was showering after a workout - what do pro-wrestlers usually do straight after a match? Do they take an ice bath, get a massage, some kind of sport cooldown treatment like athletes do? Or do they just chill out with a beer or something?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

maxallen posted:

I've got kinda an opposite question- why has TNA gotten so much love from the networks and say, ROH hasn't?

I'd wager it's probably name recognition. TNA has always been loaded with former WWE and WCW stars who have been big TV names in the past. ROH only has those on rare occasions.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Frankston posted:

Something I've never thought about before, but hit me when I was showering after a workout - what do pro-wrestlers usually do straight after a match? Do they take an ice bath, get a massage, some kind of sport cooldown treatment like athletes do? Or do they just chill out with a beer or something?

Pretty much what any athlete does. Austin used to have to have his knees stapped up with ice after each match, and theres footage on the wrestlemania documentry of his post match routine.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Joeslop posted:

Why exactly does Dixie Carter love TNA so much?

I would imagine that sunk cost fallacy has to factor in pretty heavily, here.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Joeslop posted:

Why exactly does Dixie Carter love TNA so much? They don't make any money, they're a far flung #2 behind the biggest name in wrestling (which doesn't mean squat) and no one but the blobs of flesh at live shows seem to care about the company beyond making fun of it or drawing an easy paycheck.

Does she just really like wrestling but not enough to actually try and improve the product? How long til her parents croak and her funding dries up?

The real answer is that it's all she has. She's never going to be given a position of real power or responsibility in her parents firm, and her PR company was a pretty significant failure propped up by Panda money. In TNA she has power and influence in her own little realm, has name recognition with a group of people she absolutely despises and even got had the opportunity to force herself into a hearing with congress (who didn't even want her there).

If she didn't have TNA what would she do?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

IronCladBurrito posted:

I'd wager it's probably name recognition. TNA has always been loaded with former WWE and WCW stars who have been big TV names in the past. ROH only has those on rare occasions.

TNA is also able to put on what is at least a presentable-looking television product, which is something ROH has never been able to do

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Cardboard Box posted:

TNA is also able to put on what is at least a presentable-looking television product, which is something ROH has never been able to do

I would disagree, but I'm not sure I remember seeing TNA. ROH's TV quality has come down some since the HDNET days IMO, but I give them a pass because they're not as big-time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

IronCladBurrito posted:

I would disagree, but I'm not sure I remember seeing TNA. ROH's TV quality has come down some since the HDNET days IMO, but I give them a pass because they're not as big-time.

TNA has always been able to broadcast a show reliably, however. This isn't an accomplishment or anything to be proud of, just a base expectation in the world of TV that even TNA cannot gently caress up. Even when they have problems like setting the roof on fire during Hard Justice 06 they were able to keep the broadcast going even after the fire department moved everyone to the parking lot.

ROH, on the other hand, is notorious for doing a good job with what they have then every time a shake-up happens (people leaving or ownership changing) production goes into the toilet. 2012 was probably hands-down the worst year for ROH in terms of production on account of the Sinclair buyout and the changes made. They couldn't even sync the video and audio up properly during Showdown in the Sun Part 1 which made everyone in the GDT flip a poo poo (myself included). I understand they don't have a lot, but they make mistakes that film students with "Ds get degress" mindsets make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ROH can't get on real TV because there's nobody in the company that knows how to make a good production. They just don't know what good production is. I've seen studio wrestling TV shows from the '80s with better audio and video production than most ROH shows. I don't know if that's intentional or not on their part, but if so it's a dumb decision. There's consumer level equipment that can do a better job than whatever the hell they're using there.