Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I basically agree with Malkav. "out of crosshairs" basically just means you shouldn't kill them offhand to shake things up like you can do with any other npc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good
How absolutely inappropriate would access to a weapon of mass destruction be as a starting option for an AW playbook?
Edit: On a slightly more serious note, access to a WMD sans activation codes/detonator mechanism/whatever

Sticky Beethoven fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 20, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Depends on how big a deal you make of it. If it's like the bomb in Megaton or the device on Raven's bike in Snow Crash, you could always keep it around as a MacGuffin for fuckery purposes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sticky Beethoven posted:

How absolutely inappropriate would access to a weapon of mass destruction be as a starting option for an AW playbook?

Are you kidding? "You have to guard this nuke and stop the million and one people who want to steal it and use it to conquer the wasteland" makes for a great playbook basis. I'd probably base the playbook around having access to a pre-Apocalypse military facility, though, that way there's also advantages to being this guardian. Sort of the Quarantine crossed with the Hardholder, but maybe with a different flavour.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Are you kidding? "You have to guard this nuke and stop the million and one people who want to steal it and use it to conquer the wasteland" makes for a great playbook basis. I'd probably base the playbook around having access to a pre-Apocalypse military facility, though, that way there's also advantages to being this guardian. Sort of the Quarantine crossed with the Hardholder, but maybe with a different flavour.

Firstly, I love what you describe here.

My intention was to have it as an option for a starting weapon: you can take the pistol, or the stun grenades or whatever, or you can have the briefcase bomb for insurance and hope nobody ever calls your bluff or you never receive orders to use it on anyone you're terribly fond of. My concern is that the responsibilities you describe change what the playbook is about in a pretty big way. I'd love to explore the idea further, but I think a separate playbook is what's called for.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It totally could be and probably should be a separate playbook. Even if it's not your JOB, the nuke you're deadswitched to/ the virus running in your veins/ the threat of Maelstrom Things if you come to harm is worth exploring. The Gunlugger is hard because they're the best at inflicting pain, the Battlebabe because they just don't give a gently caress, the Hardholder because you have to be hard to keep poo poo together. But you, how hard do you have to be to take everyone down with you if it all goes south? Do you have to be hard at all? What kind of chickenshit needs a big boogity boogity bomb to keep their rear end out of the fire?

Play to find out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'd agree, it seems like you'd want to write up a playbook based around the idea. If you really didn't want to do it, the only stock ones I can see working well with it are Hardholder and Quarantine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, a "Caretaker" playbook sounds like it'd be pretty cool.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

It totally could be and probably should be a separate playbook. Even if it's not your JOB, the nuke you're deadswitched to/ the virus running in your veins/ the threat of Maelstrom Things if you come to harm is worth exploring. The Gunlugger is hard because they're the best at inflicting pain, the Battlebabe because they just don't give a gently caress, the Hardholder because you have to be hard to keep poo poo together. But you, how hard do you have to be to take everyone down with you if it all goes south? Do you have to be hard at all? What kind of chickenshit needs a big boogity boogity bomb to keep their rear end out of the fire?

Play to find out.

This is loving awesome.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doodmons posted:

This is loving awesome.

Yeah that's pretty great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Wasn't there a playbook where you're hunted by things from the Maelstrom already? I recall it being linked not too long ago.

A nuke/virus/whatever pre-Apoc WMD works fine, though. Someone write the playbook up so we can stop all agreeing it's a great idea.

e; vv thanks, that's the one, I remember it being pretty rad. I definitely think that means this playbook should stick to pre-Apoc tech.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 20, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wasn't there a playbook where you're hunted by things from the Maelstrom already? I recall it being linked not too long ago.

A nuke/virus/whatever pre-Apoc WMD works fine, though. Someone write the playbook up so we can stop all agreeing it's a great idea.

The Solace.

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good
I'm on it, guys.

At any rate, this is what I've been up to recently:
The Signal
The Suit
Haven't started on the art for either of them, but I'm going to see if I can get away with using something like this for the Suit's cover art.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I've been playing a lot of Dragon's Dogma lately, and I've been re-reading my old saga translations. So I decided to work on a Apoc World hack that goes in a different direction than Dungeon World. Instead of being a homage to D&D, or a dungeon-crawler, it's about epic heroes going up against inhuman monsters armed with their wits, their courage, and their steel.

So far, I've got the basic moves down.

Assail
When you strike with the intent to cause harm, roll +Strength. On a hit, you inflict 1 harm on your enemy. On a 10+, you inflict 1 harm and choose one of the following:
Inflict 1 extra harm to the enemy.
You place the enemy in a tough spot.
Your mighty blow inspires an ally, giving them +1 forward.
On a miss, you have put yourself in a vulnerable position with your incautious action; the MC may make as hard a move against you as he likes.

Recite Lore
When you recite the lore, roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, the MC will tell you something useful, interesting, and true about it. On a hit, the MC will tell you something true about it. On a miss, you cannot recall any relevant lore about the subject right now.

Boast
When you tell of your grand deeds, roll +Cleverness. On a 10+, hold 3. On a hit, hold 1. On a miss, either the audience does not believe you, or does not care (your choice). You may spend hold 1-for-1 to:
Gain a devoted follower
Gain a warband with the following tags: small, fervent, undisciplined
Inspire fear in your audience
Inspire awe in your audience

Endure Trial
When you are afflicted by pain and torments, roll +Stoutness. On a 10+, you have not only overcome the trial, you have been strengthened by it somehow – the MC will tell you how. On a hit, you have overcome the trial. On a miss, you can only overcome the trial at great cost to yourself – the MC will tell you what exactly the cost is.

Exert Might
When you display your talents and excellence to overcome an immediate problem, roll as below:
If you use physical force or martial prowess, roll +Strength
If you use speed or agility, roll +Swiftness
If you use precision or quick wits, roll +Cleverness
If you use preparation or careful thought, roll +Wisdom
If you use patience or raw determination, roll +Will.
On a 10+, you overcome the problem and gain a +1 forward as your heroic resolve carries you on. On a hit, you overcome the problem, but there is a minor cost involved – the MC will inform you of what. On a 6-, you have failed to overcome the problem, and the MC may make as hard a move as they like against you.

Recognize Opportunity
When you examine your surroundings for advantages, roll +Cleverness. On a 10+, you may ask 3 of the following questions. On a hit, you may ask 1 of the following questions. On a miss, you have failed to spot any opportunities in your immediate surroundings.
Who here is aligned with whom?
What about this situation is not what it seems?
What is not here that I would have expected?
What is here that I did not expect?
What here is vulnerable in a way that is not obvious?
What is someone else here expecting me to do?

I have some playbook ideas I'm tossing around, too:

The Warrior - a hero who relies on martial skill and strength.
The Sage - a hero who relies on knowledge and preparation to win the day.
The Devout - a hero who trusts to his faith and the secret lore of the gods to aid him.
The Footpad - a hero who relies on guile and agility.
The Emissary - a hero whose charisma and determination can sway the hearts of men.
The Warlord - a hero who relies on his allies and his warband to bring down the forces of the darkness.

I've had the playbook concepts and the core move ideas (if not the mechanics) down for a while, so to be on the safe side I'm not entering it in this month's contest. That being said, I'd like to get some feedback on what I've got so far, and I'll start posting playbooks as I finish them.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
I'm about to MC an Apocalypse World game for the first time (or any RPG for that matter) on Saturday. I have read through the rulebook a few times now,but I was wondering if someone could walk me through an example of how a basic fight would go down. Like what rolls to call for in what basic situations, how I would translate that into storytelling, etc.

Let's say a PC Keeler is in a bar and sees Bulldog, a dude he really wants to kill. Keeler has a 9mm and is in range to shoot Bulldog. Bulldog also sees Keeler, so it is not a complete surprise attack on him, and he knows Keeler may be dangerous, but doesn't expect Keeler to pull a gun on him. Bulldog is prepared to retaliate, and calmly keeps his hand on his own 9mm just in case. Keeler wants to shoot this guy at the distance he is at, so does he roll for going aggro, seizing by force, or just trade harm for harm? Also, there is nobody that is going to help Keeler nor Bulldog.

I'm sorry if I left out any information that may be vital to understanding the situation and what to roll. This is my first time getting into these kinds of games, and it seems like a whole ton of fun to play.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

JoeCool posted:

I'm about to MC an Apocalypse World game for the first time (or any RPG for that matter) on Saturday. I have read through the rulebook a few times now,but I was wondering if someone could walk me through an example of how a basic fight would go down. Like what rolls to call for in what basic situations, how I would translate that into storytelling, etc.

Let's say a PC Keeler is in a bar and sees Bulldog, a dude he really wants to kill. Keeler has a 9mm and is in range to shoot Bulldog. Bulldog also sees Keeler, so it is not a complete surprise attack on him, and he knows Keeler may be dangerous, but doesn't expect Keeler to pull a gun on him. Bulldog is prepared to retaliate, and calmly keeps his hand on his own 9mm just in case. Keeler wants to shoot this guy at the distance he is at, so does he roll for going aggro, seizing by force, or just trade harm for harm? Also, there is nobody that is going to help Keeler nor Bulldog.

I'm sorry if I left out any information that may be vital to understanding the situation and what to roll. This is my first time getting into these kinds of games, and it seems like a whole ton of fun to play.

I'd say in this situation it's Go Aggro. You're looking through the crosshairs, right, and Bulldog isn't expecting to get shot just like that. Now, if Keeler pulls the gun but doesn't fire right away... I think it'd be Seize By Force since it gives Bulldog time to react.

Or if you REALLY want to look through crosshairs, don't even make it a move, just deal the harm.

Of course, if Bulldog has friends in the bar, it might be Seize By Force no matter what.

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 23, 2013

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I'd say Go Aggro, proceeding into Seize By Force. Bulldog may have his hand on his gun, but it's not out yet, and he isn't sure Keeler actually plans to grease him.

On the other hand, if part of Bulldog's character is that he is a wicked scary fast draw, I'd probably go right to Seize By Force.

Also, what BlurryMystr said.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The way I've always seen it, if the character's intention is to just shoot somebody it's Seize by Force (the thing you're seizing is their life) or trade harm for harm (if they know it's coming). If their intention is to "shoot them unless X happens" then it's Go Aggro.

Success in Going Aggro results in the target getting a hard choice between giving up or taking the the hit.
Success in Seizing by Force results in the target losing what was seized, in this case their life.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

If their intention is to "shoot them unless X happens" then it's Go Aggro.
Can you give me an example of when "Shoot them unless X happens" would come into play?

Is "Unless X happens" something like, unless they don't see the PC pull a gun, they are going to kick over a metal table and take cover behind it?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JoeCool posted:

Can you give me an example of when "Shoot them unless X happens" would come into play?

"I'm going to shoot you unless you drop your gun."

"I'm going to shoot you unless you get out of my way."

"I'm going to shoot you if you don't tell me where the suitcase is."

I don't have the rulebook with me at the moment but as I recall the rules for Go Aggro it works something like this:

If I roll a 10+ the target has a choice of doing what I said, or sucking it up and taking the hit.
If I roll a 7-9 they get to chose from a lit of things like back off or give you something they think you need.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Bucnasti posted:

The way I've always seen it, if the character's intention is to just shoot somebody it's Seize by Force (the thing you're seizing is their life) or trade harm for harm (if they know it's coming). If their intention is to "shoot them unless X happens" then it's Go Aggro.

Success in Going Aggro results in the target getting a hard choice between giving up or taking the the hit.
Success in Seizing by Force results in the target losing what was seized, in this case their life.

Not quite. Here's what it says in the book:

quote:

Seizing by force is very strictly only for fights, times when
characters move with violence directly against people able
to defend themselves. If the situation doesn’t allow for a full
exchange of blows, attack for attack, harm for harm, toe to toe,
it’s not seizing by force.

Going aggro is the more general move. It’s for direct threats
when the character can and will follow up with violence. The
victim may or may not be able to defend herself, that’s fine either
way — what’s crucial is that the victim isn’t defending herself
yet.
It may or may not include preliminary violence, to get the
victim’s attention and make the point, that’s fine either way too.
It may be just that the character wants to murder the victim
without giving him the chance to fight back.

Bluffing counts as seducing or manipulating, using the threat of
violence for leverage. It’s legit for you to ask the player whether
the character’s bluffing before letting her make the roll.

Also read John Harper's post about Seize By Force, if you haven't already: http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2010/11/aw-seize-by-force-is-peripheral-move.html

EDIT: Go Aggro is when you want someone to do something and are willing to back it up with violence if they don't. Seize By Force is for when the talking is done and it's time to get down to some violence against someone who is able to fight back.

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 23, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BlurryMystr posted:

EDIT: Go Aggro is when you want someone to do something and are willing to back it up with violence if they don't. Seize By Force is for when the talking is done and it's time to get down to some violence against someone who is able to fight back.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said, if not, that's what I was trying to say. :cheeky:

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
For example, the last MC I had treated sniping as Go Aggro, where what the sniper wanted was for the target to drop dead (naturally, they sucked it up instead). Though that'd definitely depend on the situation--if you wanted to look through crosshairs, you could have the NPC just drop dead without calling for a roll and go straight to dealing with the consequences of their death.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JoeCool posted:

This is definitely a Go Aggro situation.
Keeler draws, implying give me what I want or I'll shoot.
OR
Keeler draws and fires, implying die or I'll kill you.

Oddly, the two sides of the Go Aggro coin can be the same thing, as Kaja says.

In the situation you've presented:
Keeler approaches. Bulldog draws and fires. Keeler says gently caress off and fires back (and rolls Seize by Force). In my opinion, if you're seizing by force you're conceding the fact that it's going to hurt.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
How is ammunition handled in Apocalypse World? Does the MC just kind of eyeball when the PCs should run out?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

JoeCool posted:

How is ammunition handled in Apocalypse World? Does the MC just kind of eyeball when the PCs should run out?

Some things have the 'Reload' tag, which means it takes a non-trivial amount of time to reload between attacks with it. Other than that, I'd treat it as something that only comes up when the MC wants it to. If the group is somewhere well stocked and goes on adventures, assume they have enough ammo. Maybe if someone is using a lot of it, a tough choice must be "You're really running low on mags, you can't just keep providing covering fire for the group right now." or something like that. Or a Hardholder has to deal with resupplying as a macro level resource.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Trip Report for first ever session of an RPG, as MC:

My first mistake was letting too many people play. I thought I was going to arrive at my buddy's house with 3 other friends there to play, instead a total of 7 other people were there, and I decided to include everyone and have everybody make characters. After everyone made characters and we did backstories, questions, and Hx, I tried to cobble together some sort of premise and introduce a disturbance or problem in their status quo to react against.

The campaign started in the Hardholder's (Colonel Jackson) office with the Angel (Doc), the Chopper (Red Beard), and 2 of the Chopper's lieutenants (Cracky Jack and Aggressive Ed). Jackson had hired Red Beard and his gang as mercenaries for civil defense, and was now negotiating with Doc to convince him to supply medical aid to the mercenaries of the hardhold. Doc refused to enable the gang's violence, and as he refused I had one of Jackson's assistants, Gnarly, burst into the room and announce that the armor has been broken into, and random medical supplies, mostly chillstabs, were dropped on the floor in a rush as the culprit fled with guns to sell to the neighboring rival Hardhold.

Jackson enlisted Red Beard and his gang to spread out and apprehend the thief. I had Red Beard roll for Pack Alpha to see if Cracky Jack would follow his orders, and Red Beard misses the roll. Red Beard chose not to have to make an example out of Cracky, but Cracky did fight back and refuse to follow orders. Red Beard wasn't having any of his poo poo, and rolled Go Aggro to make Cracky cave in by punching the poo poo out of him. Red Beard fails the roll, and a fight of basically failed rolls ensues until Red Beard lands a punch and makes Cracky do his bidding. I also had him roll to command Ed, which he rolled a perfect 12 on.

Here's where I think I kind of faltered a bit in having players succeed and not be too frustrated. The thief, who is a PC Skinner named Shade, is running through the slums to escape the Hardhold. Another PC, the Brainer, Sin, sees Shade and wants to talk to him before he escapes. I say that Sin almost catches up to Shade, but has to get past Cracky Jack to really get his attention. Sin wants to get through Cracky Jack by sneaking up and killing him with his scalpel, so I have him roll Do Something Under Fire (The right roll?) to sneak up on him and inflict harm. Sin fails the roll, and Cracky Jack turns around, sees Sin with scalpel drawn, and draws his own machete. Sin rolls Seize By Force to try and grab Cracky's arm and use his violation glove and implant a command to stop fighting and go away.

He botches the roll again, and I have Cracky inflict 1 harm and Sin falls on his back to the ground. Shade hears the conflict and tries to help, but I have him roll Do Something Under Fire to see if he gets there in time. He fails that roll, and I have him fall, unable to help and leaving Sin by himself. By that time it was getting late, so everyone decided to call it a night and head home.

I felt like it was an exciting and fun game, but also that it was frustrating to the players because everyone was failing their rolls left and right and in hindsight I was punishing them too hard just failed dice rolls. A lot of questions came up that I didn't know how to answer, such as who is controlling Cracky? Red Beard, or me? I fully understand this was a very rushed session in difficult conditions regarding player count and experience (This was everyone elses first RPG as well) but I want any critique regarding what I should and shouldn't have done, and what could be changed or done better.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Some things have the 'Reload' tag, which means it takes a non-trivial amount of time to reload between attacks with it.

I don't think it's an AW thing to track when you need to reload based on how much you've shot. I like to think it's a tad bit subtler than that: something with the reload tag will run out of ammo on you when it's inappropriate for it to do so. This translates in-game as running out of ammo being a likely component of hard bargains, half-successes or roll failures.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

JoeCool posted:

Trip Report for first ever session of an RPG, as MC:

My first mistake was letting too many people play. I thought I was going to arrive at my buddy's house with 3 other friends there to play, instead a total of 7 other people were there, and I decided to include everyone and have everybody make characters. After everyone made characters and we did backstories, questions, and Hx, I tried to cobble together some sort of premise and introduce a disturbance or problem in their status quo to react against.

The campaign started in the Hardholder's (Colonel Jackson) office with the Angel (Doc), the Chopper (Red Beard), and 2 of the Chopper's lieutenants (Cracky Jack and Aggressive Ed). Jackson had hired Red Beard and his gang as mercenaries for civil defense, and was now negotiating with Doc to convince him to supply medical aid to the mercenaries of the hardhold. Doc refused to enable the gang's violence, and as he refused I had one of Jackson's assistants, Gnarly, burst into the room and announce that the armor has been broken into, and random medical supplies, mostly chillstabs, were dropped on the floor in a rush as the culprit fled with guns to sell to the neighboring rival Hardhold.

Jackson enlisted Red Beard and his gang to spread out and apprehend the thief. I had Red Beard roll for Pack Alpha to see if Cracky Jack would follow his orders, and Red Beard misses the roll. Red Beard chose not to have to make an example out of Cracky, but Cracky did fight back and refuse to follow orders. Red Beard wasn't having any of his poo poo, and rolled Go Aggro to make Cracky cave in by punching the poo poo out of him. Red Beard fails the roll, and a fight of basically failed rolls ensues until Red Beard lands a punch and makes Cracky do his bidding. I also had him roll to command Ed, which he rolled a perfect 12 on.

Here's where I think I kind of faltered a bit in having players succeed and not be too frustrated. The thief, who is a PC Skinner named Shade, is running through the slums to escape the Hardhold. Another PC, the Brainer, Sin, sees Shade and wants to talk to him before he escapes. I say that Sin almost catches up to Shade, but has to get past Cracky Jack to really get his attention. Sin wants to get through Cracky Jack by sneaking up and killing him with his scalpel, so I have him roll Do Something Under Fire (The right roll?) to sneak up on him and inflict harm. Sin fails the roll, and Cracky Jack turns around, sees Sin with scalpel drawn, and draws his own machete. Sin rolls Seize By Force to try and grab Cracky's arm and use his violation glove and implant a command to stop fighting and go away.

He botches the roll again, and I have Cracky inflict 1 harm and Sin falls on his back to the ground. Shade hears the conflict and tries to help, but I have him roll Do Something Under Fire to see if he gets there in time. He fails that roll, and I have him fall, unable to help and leaving Sin by himself. By that time it was getting late, so everyone decided to call it a night and head home.

I felt like it was an exciting and fun game, but also that it was frustrating to the players because everyone was failing their rolls left and right and in hindsight I was punishing them too hard just failed dice rolls. A lot of questions came up that I didn't know how to answer, such as who is controlling Cracky? Red Beard, or me? I fully understand this was a very rushed session in difficult conditions regarding player count and experience (This was everyone elses first RPG as well) but I want any critique regarding what I should and shouldn't have done, and what could be changed or done better.

I think you overused Pack Alpha. The Alpha doesn't need to make a move any time he wants the gang to do something. It's only when he wants them to do something unusual - be nice, take significant risks or risks without reward, etc.

Since Sin was willing to use violence to get past Cracky Jack, I'd have made it Go Aggro. Sin was willing to kill and Do Something Under Fire doesn't hurt people, so I don't think that was the right thing. When Shade tried to help, having him roll to get there in time was fine, but this is the one place where I think you might have done a better job choosing a result. Did you decide what The Fire was before rolling? Doing so makes a big difference; failure to do so was the biggest whoopsie in the AW session I just ran. A quick discussion of what might happen if the player fails the roll, before it happens, can generate cool ideas and get you a little extra buy-in.

You control all the NPCs. Red Beard can use Pack Alpha to drive is gang in the direction he chooses, but he doesn't control them as characters.

I don't think you pushed the failures too hard, except maybe for Shade's. PCs tend to get partial or better successes on most rolls, so if you don't make their failures feel like failures, they'll walk all over things.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cyphoderus posted:

I don't think it's an AW thing to track when you need to reload based on how much you've shot. I like to think it's a tad bit subtler than that: something with the reload tag will run out of ammo on you when it's inappropriate for it to do so. This translates in-game as running out of ammo being a likely component of hard bargains, half-successes or roll failures.

This is a good idea, so far I've always just used it as 'after you shoot, you're going to need to take some deliberate time before you can use it again'

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

This is a good idea, so far I've always just used it as 'after you shoot, you're going to need to take some deliberate time before you can use it again'

I treat it as any gun can run out of ammo as a hard move, or require reloading as a soft move, and that weapons with the reload trait required actively reloading after every use (but did not necessarily run out of ammo).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bucnasti posted:

I treat it as any gun can run out of ammo as a hard move, or require reloading as a soft move, and that weapons with the reload trait required actively reloading after every use (but did not necessarily run out of ammo).

cool, i'll keep this in mind :)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I just ran my first game of AW yesterday and I was worried at first that I didn't have a good enough imagination to keep things rolling smoothly.

I shouldn't have worried , everything ran smoothly and I had a blast. My group which is used to hack and slash really enjoyed the shared storytelling a LOT.

It's set in a huge swamp that overtook Louisiana after the Event.

I have a (very grumpy)Chopper Named Stanky that has a gang that rides mini airboats.
I have a Brainer named Grayson that really likes to use his Violation glove on anyone who will shake his hand.
I have a Savvyhead named George Taft who has a garage and junkyard outside of the main town hub who is looking for his kids who got sold to slavers.
I have a Driver named WRX (pronounced rex) who loves his offroad 4X4 just a little too much who does odd jobs for everyone.
and A Gunlugger named Roland who loves his grenade launcher just a little too much and does odd jobs for everyone :allears:

In their first session they managed to
1.) Piss off very powerful Slavers
2.) Piss off the local Hardholder that runs Junctionville which is the center of everything
3.) Run away from some sort of Mechanical monstrosity that roams an old abandoned Car Lot
4.) Have a drunken bar brawl with Stanky's rival Chopper gang.
And 5.) Try to break into a Swamp Cult's guarded warehouse and fail spectacularly and have to run away at top speed.

I have to say, this is my new favorite system hands down.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CapitalistPig posted:

I just ran my first game of AW yesterday and I was worried at first that I didn't have a good enough imagination to keep things rolling smoothly.

I shouldn't have worried , everything ran smoothly and I had a blast. My group which is used to hack and slash really enjoyed the shared storytelling a LOT.

It's set in a huge swamp that overtook Louisiana after the Event.

I have a (very grumpy)Chopper Named Stanky that has a gang that rides mini airboats.
I have a Brainer named Grayson that really likes to use his Violation glove on anyone who will shake his hand.
I have a Savvyhead named George Taft who has a garage and junkyard outside of the main town hub who is looking for his kids who got sold to slavers.
I have a Driver named WRX (pronounced rex) who loves his offroad 4X4 just a little too much who does odd jobs for everyone.
and A Gunlugger named Roland who loves his grenade launcher just a little too much and does odd jobs for everyone :allears:

In their first session they managed to
1.) Piss off very powerful Slavers
2.) Piss off the local Hardholder that runs Junctionville which is the center of everything
3.) Run away from some sort of Mechanical monstrosity that roams an old abandoned Car Lot
4.) Have a drunken bar brawl with Stanky's rival Chopper gang.
And 5.) Try to break into a Swamp Cult's guarded warehouse and fail spectacularly and have to run away at top speed.

I have to say, this is my new favorite system hands down.

one of us, one of us

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Octagon N posted:

Sooo, I've gone ahead and "finished" version one of Steampunk World, a.k.a. Adventshire (a working title which I kind of love/hate). I slapped the full description of the game and main rules up on the Barf Forth Apocalyptica forums right here. The stats are Class, Charm, Vigor, Logic, and Dream. The Professions (playbooks) are all forthcoming:

The Magician, charming and with a bag or tricks or a lovely assistant.
The Clockworker, with a tinkering shop and the ability to build robotic helpers.
The Dandy, classiest son of a gun around, and a clique following his every word.
The Pugilist, vigorous man's (or woman's) man (or woman), strongest when wielding only fists, or in front of a crowd.
The Urchin, charming street rat and keeper of secrets in the city's underground.
The Alchemist, cold and logical. Just as likely to heal you as slip a homemade potion in your drink.
The Rocketeer, found a jetpack and think you're a hero? Prove it.
The Ringmaster, ultimate hype man and owner of the city's hottest entertainment establishment.
The Automaton, machine built for good? Evil? Earn your sentience and find out.
The Archaeologist, professor by day, adventurer by night. Does it really belong in a museum?
The Duelist, honorable master of single combat by gun or sword. Eventually both.
The Investigator, The Operative, The Surgeon, The Anarchist, The Ogre, The Safecracker, The Phonomancer...

Let me know what you all think!

This is really cool! The playbooks and the moves lend themselves to a really colourful world, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this hack.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Do people get a lot of use from the Help or Interfere move? I'm considering dropping it from my hack.

It seems like in a more action/adventure oriented game that other moves are almost always better utilized. In our playtests we've never found a need to use it, and when writing up examples of each move I had a real hard time coming up with situations where it would be used.

I could see it being used a lore more in a standard Apoc World game as it's more about interparty rivalries, but I just don't see it's use in a more traditional action oriented setting.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The players in my game get a lot of use out of it, as do the players in the APs I've listened to. It's probably worth keeping in just to have something to point to when someone inevitably says, "Can I help them do that?"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kestral posted:

The players in my game get a lot of use out of it, as do the players in the APs I've listened to. It's probably worth keeping in just to have something to point to when someone inevitably says, "Can I help them do that?"

Can you give an example of how you've seen it used?
What I'm having a problem wrapping my head around is why would you use this move instead of doing something active to help out? I just keep coming up with these mundane situations like "I'll hold the flashlight while he disables the alarm" which I don't see worth making a move for. I'd rather the players do something like "I'll go distract the guards while he disables the alarm" which would be an act under fire or something.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Bucnasti posted:

What I'm having a problem wrapping my head around is why would you use this move instead of doing something active to help out? I just keep coming up with these mundane situations like "I'll hold the flashlight while he disables the alarm" which I don't see worth making a move for. I'd rather the players do something like "I'll go distract the guards while he disables the alarm" which would be an act under fire or something.

The trouble is, that method has two options for successful help:

1) The player being helped no longer needs to roll. Somewhat boring.
2) The move you make if the player being helped rolls 6- is softer. This makes is hard to see what the help actually achieved, especially if the helper rolled a hit.

What the Aid or Interfere move does is make the person rolling actually more or less likely to succeed, in a way that remains significant no matter what move they're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bucnasti posted:

I'll give you two from DW and one from my own hack. In my game I had a player with a bonus to Aid moves try and use it constantly "I help so-and-so with whatever he's doing". I had to break out "Ok, how do you do that ?" a few times to get him to keep it within reason. And the fiction of course.

In my last game of straight-up DW (also my first) I was playing a cleric. I was teamed up with a fighter and a rogue against some ogres. The rogue was doing his own thing, so I stuck with the fighter. I figured I'd be better off helping the fighter do damage and not get hurt, so I didn't attack anything. I did a lot of situational awareness stuff and things like tripping an ogre. I killed one while it was down and helpless, but the fighter rolled all the damage.

IN my now-defunct DW PBP I had a Wizard Aid a Witch with flying a broomstick out of danger by giving her a boost. The Witch then used the flavor text the Wizard used for some impromptu roleplaying and worldbuilding. We ended up with a daemonic magic style that interacts with witchcraft dangerously.

So it's a mixed bag in my experience. I do think the players never using Aid at all is a symptom of the setting you've come up with, not the system. In all of the examples I've seen the players have been explicitly cooperating from the get go. With the possible exception of the rogue in the first DW example, I'm still not sure what he was up to. They do come up more with a party oriented game. Maybe put two of your PCs in the same situation, one that complements both of their strengths and weaknesses, and remind them that they can Aid each other.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 28, 2013

• Locked thread